Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 22:37   #12151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindwarrier View Post
Nikon on the other hand will give me double the Pixels (which I know I shouldn't really be concerned about, but then I do like to crop pics a lot during PP
Then why not?

Anyway, only you can decide whether a better sensor and better iq is worth the extra money for you. Btw, more MPs matter especially when shooting under uncontrolled circumstances.

See what works for you - given that you have shot with dslrs. Dont give too much credence to folks on the net who parrot 'experts' or who seem to know everything in terms of specs and latest news, but dont have or demonstrate enough field or practical experience . Even experts specialize in certain types of photography. Example - Ming Thein - who positions himself as one of the cooler chaps given his background - was disappointing when I looked at his wildlife photos. He claims to have a lot of experience with wildlife, and even does workshops. Lol. Shooting at aviaries under controlled circumstances, and making his photos stand out because of pp skills, not shooting skills - in spite of high end gear.

Figure out what you like shooting, and then map your requirememts back.Learn from the folks who specialize in that genre. Then have a road map in terms of gear, skills etc - and execute.
Old 7th September 2013, 00:18   #12152
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Then why not?

Anyway, only you can decide whether a better sensor and better iq is worth the extra money for you. Btw, more MPs matter especially when shooting under uncontrolled circumstances.
I have enough experience with DSLRs to have figured that spending too much on camera bodies wouldn't give me results.I mean there is hardly any difference between the D3100 and D5100 or even the D7100 in terms of IQ especially when you put the price into context.The big difference always comes from the lens. For eg I could click much better indoor pics using a D60 and a 50mm prime than a D7100 could with the kitlens. Finally my decision has has distilled down to this: For a few thousands more than the price of a D3200+18-55 I can get the 1100D+18-55+50mm/1.8+55-250. I would like to believe that by going with canon, I am getting the better out of this tradeoff, although I have almost always used Nikons throughout,and the last time I had to use a canon, I fumbled quite a bit. I guess it just takes a bit of getting used to..

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Figure out what you like shooting, and then map your requirememts back.Learn from the folks who specialize in that genre. Then have a road map in terms of gear, skills etc - and execute.
I just got the transfer order to Bhopal, and I've never seen Central India before. Hence I foresee lot of travel photography & Landscapes. Occasionally I do some indoor photography during functions. My friends love me more when their profile pic needs a change .I may click the random butterfly or my car/bike after a nice wash and wax. So I basically want to do every thing and yet ultimately, Photography is a hobby for me and I don't want any hobby to get the better of me
Old 8th September 2013, 01:40   #12153
BHPian

Went today to a nearby Croma to checkout the cameras in person, and feel the difference, and I felt that there is quite a bit of difference when it comes to lowlight/indoor photographs between the D3200 and 1100D, with the former trumping the latter. However the Sony a58 which I just compared for the sake of curiosity bettered both by a large margin. On the 3-in screens atleast, the Sony took way better pics. The Sony alpha range isnt the most popular SLRs here, but has anyone some experience to share about them?
Old 8th September 2013, 06:54   #12154
Senior - BHPian

@aravindwarrier: the lcd is not the right place to compare images. The best way is to take RAW images & compare the output on an image editor.

Nikon (I have a D800) has multiple options to 'fine tune' the lcd out put. I am sure, so do Canon & Sony. Who knows how they have been set?

Take your own sd card & take the same image & compare. DPReview provides quite good reviews with RAW & JPG images from each camera.
Old 8th September 2013, 13:26   #12155
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravindwarrier View Post
Went today to a nearby Croma to checkout the cameras in person, and feel the difference, and I felt that there is quite a bit of difference when it comes to lowlight/indoor photographs between the D3200 and 1100D, with the former trumping the latter. However the Sony a58 which I just compared for the sake of curiosity bettered both by a large margin. On the 3-in screens atleast, the Sony took way better pics. The Sony alpha range isnt the most popular SLRs here, but has anyone some experience to share about them?
The A58 overall are better cameras then the models like 1100D and D3200.Its got a good sensor,the same jpeg engine from A99,so takes excellent images.
It has a much bigger OLED VF,much faster AF in movies and live view and can stabilize any lens mounted and also has AF motor in the body.
Old 11th September 2013, 10:40   #12156
BHPian

Blast from the past: I have been recently bitten by the idea of acquiring some inexpensive blast of lenses from the past namely the manual focus gems. Recently, i have been reading a lot about these.

I have come across 2 such examples and want to ask fellows here if they have any experiences OR suggest something else.

1. Asahi Super-Takumar 28mm f/3.5
2. CANON FD 24mm f/2

Obviously the canon is 2X expensive because its wider and faster.

When i say manual focus, it goes without saying i will be capturing landscape, street, portraits etc. I have a Canon APS-C
Old 19th September 2013, 13:16   #12157
BHPian

Hello Folks,

A colleague of mine has been offered a Nikon D70S DSLR (body only) for around 20K. Is it really worth it? Considering that this camera was launched in 2005-2006 and is now obsolete, I have my doubts. But wanted an opinion from experts on this forum. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

By the way, I myself am a novice photographer still learning the basics. I have a Canon EOS 1000D DSLR.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 19th September 2013, 15:42   #12158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Hello Folks,

A colleague of mine has been offered a Nikon D70S DSLR (body only) for around 20K. Is it really worth it? Considering that this camera was launched in 2005-2006 and is now obsolete, I have my doubts. But wanted an opinion from experts on this forum. Please feel free to share your thoughts.

By the way, I myself am a novice photographer still learning the basics. I have a Canon EOS 1000D DSLR.

Rahul Waghmare.
IMHO it's too expensive for today. One can get a much later model for that kind of money.
Old 19th September 2013, 16:28   #12159
Senior - BHPian

Dont think it is worth it. He is better off buying a 3200 or 3100
Old 19th September 2013, 16:33   #12160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
1. Asahi Super-Takumar 28mm f/3.5
2. CANON FD 24mm f/2
Whats the rough pricing for these?

Thanks,
R
Old 20th September 2013, 22:22   #12161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Rahul Waghmare.
You can buy a D90 in excellent condition for that price. You can try jjmehta photography forum. Amateurs/ hobbyist like us sell/buy gears there.Stating from my experience based upon dealing with gentlemen from the forum

I don't have any commercial interest in the said forum.
Old 21st September 2013, 08:59   #12162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Folks,

Rahul Waghmare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
IMHO it's too expensive for today. One can get a much later model for that kind of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Dont think it is worth it. He is better off buying a 3200 or 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
You can buy a D90 in excellent condition for that price. You can try jjmehta photography forum. Amateurs/ hobbyist like us sell/buy gears there.Stating from my experience based upon dealing with gentlemen from the forum

I don't have any commercial interest in the said forum.
The asking price by the seller is extremely optimistic for a 6 year old camera. Unless there is a requirement for "D" lenses, a D3200 with kit lens is a much better buy. A D70/70s will not sell for more than 5k (I have the D70, and that is what I was quoted).
Old 21st September 2013, 12:41   #12163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Whats the rough pricing for these?

Thanks,
R
Takumar = 125 - 150 $
Canon = 200-225$

depends on the condition, of course
Old 21st September 2013, 19:08   #12164
Senior - BHPian

I own a Nikon D3100. I want to know which mode is best for shooting portraits? The camera's inbuilt portrait mode or Aperture priority mode? Should flash be used or not?

Any tips to get good portraits. I will be covering a party event this week.
Old 21st September 2013, 20:19   #12165
BHPian

Hello All,

I have a D3100 I have been using for the past 3 years and now I am craving a body with AF motor and/or 51 AF points. Any recommendations on what and how to upgrade, I am interested in Birding, Wildlife and Portrait photography.

Thanks in Advance,

Last edited by skartik2 : 21st September 2013 at 20:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks