Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2013, 23:02   #12061
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Very true. I was looking at similar thoughts. (But on the Canon side). Of course have all the time in the world. Perfectly OK with my current 550D.

Thought process is that the difference between 6D and 5D-MKIII is huge (and so is the price too). I some how felt 5D MK-II would have been better than 6D.

From that point of view I did not see a compelling reason for 6D.
Frankly, in all honesty I cannot recommend the Nikon D600 to any Nikon owner looking at upgrading to a FX camera due to its QA issues pertaining mainly to dust and oil issues. I am glad that Canon has more or less got its QA in order.

That said, if we are looking at that age old excuse of "outgrowing" current cameras to upgrade to the next model either crop or full frame sensor, that's not going to happen. Todays cameras (crop sensor/full frame) are, well, excellent i.e. just too good for all but the most skilled and demanding of photographers to want more than the capabilities/features on offer.

What I mean to say is that your crop sensor 550D will serve 99.999% of your requirements. The ONLY reason to upgrade to a full frame is if you need and want to exploit their inherent strengths like low light capability & high ISO sensitivity, better focussing systems and of course the superb array of lenses on offer. The other reason is of course that you simply want to have a full frame camera. Speaking for myself, I do not believe I can exceed the capabilities of my current camera bodies. So if I do upgrade it will be for every other reason than 'outgrowing' the camera.

Its like a large majority of us car lovers on TBHP...we have run-of-the-mill cars from Japanese/Korean/US/EU companies but nearly all of us aspire to a luxury car from Germany, England or Italy. Great to have, but not a must have.

Ergo, don't waste your money on an upgrade to full frame till you really need a camera with those features. BUT if you do upgrade you will certainly not be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Some great news for Pentax users in India. The Ricoh India business head reached out to some Pentax users on pentaxforums.com about their India plans
Good news indeed but they will have to work VERY, VERY hard to make their presence felt in this country and get customers to buy into their camera systems.

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th August 2013 at 23:05.
Old 12th August 2013, 23:13   #12062
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Ergo, don't waste your money on an upgrade to full frame till you really need a camera with those features. BUT if you do upgrade you will certainly not be disappointed.

As I said earlier, I am in no mood to upgrade. Perfectly happy with my 550D. I was just putting up that thought on table.

"In case" one wants to upgrade to FF, in a Canon regime, does 6D make a compelling buy? That was the question.

On the topic of upgrades: As I mentioned, I am very satisfied with what I have. Over the last few years, slowly but steadily I invested in some good lenses to cover the range that I am interested in. The camera has never let me down in outdoors. As you rightly pointed, its only indoors where it falters. I just cant shoot beyond ISO 400/800. After having tasted the good ones (outdoors), the indoor quality feels bad. But nonetheless it still is not a compelling reason for me to upgrade. Because my primary need is outdoors, where I can manage with tripods for landscapes.

Last edited by ampere : 12th August 2013 at 23:14.
Old 12th August 2013, 23:23   #12063
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
"In case" one wants to upgrade to FF, in a Canon regime, does 6D make a compelling buy? That was the question. .
If you are looking at comparing features the answer is yes, if you are looking at the 'need' that is something only you can decide based on what you shoot.

Quote:
As you rightly pointed, its only indoors where it falters. I just cant shoot beyond ISO 400/800. After having tasted the good ones (outdoors), the indoor quality feels bad. But nonetheless it still is not a compelling reason for me to upgrade. Because my primary need is outdoors, where I can manage with tripods for landscapes.
If you wish you could get better i.e. low noise indoor shots with higher DR @ high ISOs then that may justify an upgrade to a 6D, otherwise no.

As I said upgrading to a full frame is not a must for a large majority. I've even started recommending MLCs to many persons I know.
Old 12th August 2013, 23:29   #12064
BHPian

Quote:
Good news indeed but they will have to work VERY, VERY hard to make their presence felt in this country and get customers to buy into their camera systems.
Very true. They have a tough time ahead convincing users to even consider Pentax cameras against the big two. But they have been making all the right moves recently. Hoya actually screwed up big time with Pentax. They actually bought Pentax just for their medical imaging technology and weren't interested in DSLR line. Now Ricoh is trying to revive the Pentax brand. According to rumors, we will see some new product offerings from Pentax in September/October timeframe.
Old 13th August 2013, 13:17   #12065
Distinguished - BHPian

Story from Nikon Rumours.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/08/12/ni...in-japan.aspx/

In Japan, get the best of Nikon (a D4 and 20 Nano coated lenses) for a mere JPY 8000,000 about Rs 50.58 lakhs at current exchange rates:

http://www.mapcamera.com/item/otkgset20

This represents a saving of nearly JPY 769,500 (INR 4.87L) over normal prices.

Some commenter on NR posted "I'll take 2. Gotta have backup..." and I was ROTFL!
Old 13th August 2013, 23:33   #12066
Senior - BHPian

I picked up a D3200 last week. The new DSLR came with the kit 18-55mm but is now mated with an AF-Nikkor 25-80mm, a 13-year-old lens that I've taken off from my mothballed F50D and I enjoy some manual shooting.

The original plan was to acquire a macro but I am now looking for a telephoto zoom Shortlisted the following:
a - Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200 mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens (INR 12-13K)
b - Nikon AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G (4.3x) Lens (INR 6K)
c - Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro (INR 14K)

Option A has 52mm filter size and my current 2 lenses are also 52mm. The Sigma has some macro functions it seems. Ref. option B, I am aware about the limited compatibility with the 3200, but the price is awesome!

I've no tripod. There'll be hardly any indoor photography.

Kindly suggest. TIA..!

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 13th August 2013 at 23:34.
Old 14th August 2013, 08:34   #12067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
I picked up a D3200 last week.

The original plan was to acquire a macro but I am now looking for a telephoto zoom Shortlisted the following:

I've no tripod. There'll be hardly any indoor photography.

Kindly suggest. TIA..!
Congrats for the new camera. Happy clicking!

For a telephoto, image stabilization is a must...well almost. As far as my limited knowledge goes, I would recommend you to go for any telephoto lens which has VR in it, so option # A from above. The #b lens is cheap because it an old lens (AF) without VR. Since you also mentioned that you don't have a tripod, its better to have a lens with VR.

This page might help you. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...tofocus_motors

Cheers!

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 14th August 2013 at 08:35.
Old 14th August 2013, 10:23   #12068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
For a telephoto, image stabilization is a must...well almost. As far as my limited knowledge goes, I would recommend you to go for any telephoto lens which has VR in it, so option # A from above.
My photography doesn't call for longer ranging zooms, so I am not sure how well VR will work for these.

Seems to me that the only way to get tack sharp photos at the tele ends of these zooms would be a tripod. Backed up by a cable release.
Old 14th August 2013, 13:06   #12069
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Glad you posted these great photos. I am soon purchasing D5200, so the photo quality is encouraging. Can you please list the lenses used for these photos?
Old 14th August 2013, 13:38   #12070
Distinguished - BHPian

Nikon has hiked prices by about 5% on many lenses w.e.f. today 14th Aug. Have not noticed a change in DSLR prices yet.
Old 14th August 2013, 14:51   #12071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
I picked up a D3200 last week. The new DSLR came with the kit 18-55mm but is now mated with an AF-Nikkor 25-80mm, a 13-year-old lens that I've taken off from my mothballed F50D and I enjoy some manual shooting.

.!
Sandeep try to get the Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR. I have used that lens and it never disappoints in any respect. The lens is as good as any other pro lens if used at FL lesser than 200mm. It is light weight and easy to carry unlike the f/2.8.
I would recommend to stay away from cheap counterparts and try to master you 18-55 instead. Please do not underestimate that lens since it is tagged as kit.

Quote:
.... The ONLY reason to upgrade to a full frame is if you need and want to exploit their inherent strengths like low light capability & high ISO sensitivity, better focussing systems and of course the superb array of lenses on offer. The other reason is of course that you simply want to have a full frame camera. Speaking for myself, I do not believe I can exceed the capabilities of my current camera bodies. So if I do upgrade it will be for every other reason than 'outgrowing' the camera.

Rightly said. And I have noticed one thing, you tend to use cheap lenses with a cheap body. Once you get an expensive body it is quite natural to buy expensive lens so that u can do justice to body. And this is the catch.

If you rather put money on expensive lens than the body, it may keep you happier. An example is when I use the ultimate cheapo 50mm f/1.8 on D300 then I cannot dream of boosting the ISO beyond 800, or even 800 is grainy. However, when I use the 17-55 f/2.8 on the same body, I have got usable shots at ISO 2500 .. I get very clean, sharp and crisp images between ISO 1250 to ISO 1600 at f/2.8. So the lens plays a major roles in low light capability.
My friends asks me to upgrade but till date I am unable to find a legitimate reason to switch to a FF. Anything lesser than a D4 is illogical if u own a monster like D300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Very true. They have a tough time ahead convincing users to even consider Pentax cameras against the big two. But they have been making all the right moves recently. Hoya actually screwed up big time with Pentax. They actually bought Pentax just for their medical imaging technology and weren't interested in DSLR line. Now Ricoh is trying to revive the Pentax brand. According to rumors, we will see some new product offerings from Pentax in September/October timeframe.
Pentax is a highly under-rated and highly capable product. My friend has a K-5 and I simply spend hours looking at his SOOCs. The images are so crisp and clear even with a cheap 12k lens. God forbids, if I somehow loose my camera then I cannot think anything other than a Pentax.

I am all set to buy a Pentax GR for streets, hope they launch it here with international price tag.
Old 16th August 2013, 08:38   #12072
Distinguished - BHPian

D70s - exposure value problem

I am having a problem on my Nikon D70s.

When I try to shoot in Aperture Priority, say, at F8, the camera should have adjusted the exposure accordingly. But I find that the exposure values are anywhere from 1/500 to 1/3200. Any idea why ?
Exposure compenstation is 0,
ISO is 200 (minimum)

Due to this, I am getting very under-exposed pics
But when I shoot in Auto / pre-programmed settings like portrait etc, the pics come out correctly.

Thanks !
Old 16th August 2013, 09:12   #12073
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: D70s - exposure value problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

When I try to shoot in Aperture Priority, say, at F8, the camera should have adjusted the exposure accordingly.
Maybe you are stopping down too much? Which lens are you using? In Aperture priority the camera sets shutter speeds according to ambient and reflected light. If you find under exposed shots in every case, try resetting the camera to defaults.

Can you upload examples of your under exposed photographs?

PS - how old is this camera and was it ever was serviced/checked by Nikon?

Last edited by R2D2 : 16th August 2013 at 09:17.
Old 16th August 2013, 09:24   #12074
Distinguished - BHPian

@R2D2,
Trying F8, and not lower. I am surprised by the shutter speed the camera is taking, since this is happening in this mode. By itself (auto / pre-programmed), the shots are good.

Let me check the lens part & will let you know.

The body is old - 2005. Never been serviced.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:31   #12075
Senior - BHPian

Re: D70s - exposure value problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

When I try to shoot in Aperture Priority, say, at F8, the camera should have adjusted the exposure accordingly. But I find that the exposure values are anywhere from 1/500 to 1/3200. Any idea why ?
Exposure compenstation is 0,
ISO is 200 (minimum)

Due to this, I am getting very under-exposed pics
But when I shoot in Auto / pre-programmed settings like portrait etc, the pics come out correctly.

Thanks !
If you are getting very high shutter speeds and underexposed pictures, your aperture is too small or ISO too low, for the light. Try increasing light by setting the aperture to f5.6 and then f4 and check the speed and exposure. Next check whether you have fixed the ISO at a reasonable level. Try increasing the ISO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks