Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 12:49   #11731
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
I have bought the bag - a Lowepro Pro Runner 350 AW. There is still a tonne of space. Maybe not a tonne, more like laptop, latop charger and some other papers can go in. Will request your valuable suggestions on the monopod please.
It can take up to a 15" laptop. There's a zipper in the side of the backpack near the shoulder straps. When looking at front of the backpack - the zipper is to the left.

I have the 450AW (the slightly larger sibling) and cannot say enough good things about it in terms of space, quality of construction etc. This one takes up to a 17" laptop.

Only my Lowepro Pro Trekker 400, the gold standard in construction by which I judge all other backpacks, beats it.

If I have to choose a camera bag it would be from Lowepro, Kata or Think Tank in decreasing order of # of models on offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
My new acquisition- the carbon fiber ball-head tripod. Went to buy a Benro/Manfrotto, but picked up this Triopo.
Congrats. Any particular reason to chose this brand over a Manfrotto/Bogen or Benro? Never heard of Triopo before.

Last edited by R2D2 : 30th April 2013 at 12:52.
Old 30th April 2013, 15:34   #11732
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Congrats. Your photo in Non-auto Image section came out well. Any snaps of the Triopo loaded with cam?
thanks.
A few pictures.
The DSLR Thread-triopo-2.jpg

The DSLR Thread-triopo-1.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congrats. Any particular reason to chose this brand over a Manfrotto/Bogen or Benro? Never heard of Triopo before.
thanks.
It was only when I visited the electronic shopping mall here in China, in search of a tripod, I too came to know of this brand Triopo displayed alongside Manfrott/Benro. On a thorough examination, one of its higher end models[which I end up buying later] was found to be as rigid, stable, lighter, functional and above all much cheaper as the others from more popular brands[my personal opinion]. I didn't buy anyone on that day, came back home and did some Google search on the brand Triopo.

After going through various online reviews/articles [links given below], I didn't have any second thought but went back and picked it up for CNY 1200 [approx- INR 10,000].I think it's a good VFM tripod[carbon fiber light weight segment] for a beginner like me.I could be proved wrong as well in future.But the initial experience with it has been excellent.

One may find more details about it here & here.

Last edited by M35 : 30th April 2013 at 15:37.
Old 30th April 2013, 15:57   #11733
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks.
A few pictures.
Attachment 1079274

Attachment 1079275

thanks.
It was only when I visited the electronic shopping mall here in China, in search of a tripod, I too came to know of this brand Triopo displayed alongside Manfrott/Benro. On a thorough examination, one of its higher end models[which I end up buying later] was found to be as rigid, stable, lighter, functional and above all much cheaper as the others from more popular brands[my personal opinion]. I didn't buy anyone on that day, came back home and did some Google search on the brand Triopo.

After going through various online reviews/articles [links given below], I didn't have any second thought but went back and picked it up for CNY 1200 [approx- INR 10,000].I think it's a good VFM tripod[carbon fiber light weight segment] for a beginner like me.I could be proved wrong as well in future.But the initial experience with it has been excellent.

One may find more details about it here & here.
I heard Triopo for first time and hence wanted to see the actual pictures with camera on it to get a convincing feel of it. Thanks for the photos.

Yes. Looks good for the price you paid. And the specification is no doubt good to its competitors in the similiar budget.
Old 30th April 2013, 17:03   #11734
Senior - BHPian

I purchased a similarly speced Horusbennu CF tripod and ballhead from Korea. The tripod is really good and better then some of more famous brand name tripods.
Payed 260$ for tripod ballhead combo.
Old 30th April 2013, 17:07   #11735
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I hope, if you need service/replacement for ball heads, you can get it easily in India. Is it standard across tripods and across brands or only across brands?
Old 30th April 2013, 17:40   #11736
AWD
BHPian

What are the differences between Nikon D3100 & D3200 apart from MP count ? Or any advantages of D3200 over D3100 ?
Old 30th April 2013, 17:43   #11737
Senior - BHPian

How is this tripod? I am planning to buy a basic tripod for my D3100 within Rs. 1000. IS this a full height tripod?

http://www.flipkart.com/simpex-333/p...2-5bcf4fc31afb

Last edited by bluevolt : 30th April 2013 at 17:48.
Old 30th April 2013, 19:42   #11738
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the update and the review links. The tripod looks pretty good! The reviews were honest and straightforward with no fan boy type praises that one is quite prone to do when he/she buys any gear. A CF tripod + ball head and clamp for Rs 10K is VFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I purchased a similarly speced Horusbennu CF tripod and ballhead from Korea. The tripod is really good and better then some of more famous brand name tripods. Payed 260$ for tripod ballhead combo.
I'd really love to check out this brand some day. Heard quite a bit about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I hope, if you need service/replacement for ball heads, you can get it easily in India. Is it standard across tripods and across brands or only across brands?
That's a question mark because this is a Chinese brand. But knowing them they will ship you parts at moderate or low prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
How is this tripod? I am planning to buy a basic tripod for my D3100 within Rs. 1000. IS this a full height tripod?
This tripod has a max height of nearly 5' but that would be with the centre column extended.

IMO consider getting a better quality tripod although it may require you to increase your budget.

With tripods and other support gear it is best to get it right the first time because a cheap tripod is nearly always replaced and that leads to increased costs of acquisition. Upgrades can get expensive. This is from personal experience.

For VFM gear also check the Vanguard range.
Old 30th April 2013, 20:35   #11739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
What are the differences between Nikon D3100 & D3200 apart from MP count ? Or any advantages of D3200 over D3100 ?
A better sensor too, in theory. But given the great deal that the 3100 is just now, budget minded people are better off saving the money, or spending it on other gear that will impact the final results.

Certainly not worth the upgrade for 3100 users. It is just the next model in time, it takes a few model upgrades for visible/usable benefits to come through. For people that are ok with the crop sensor format, the 3100 body won't be inadequate for a long time.
Old 30th April 2013, 20:45   #11740
Senior - BHPian

To elaborate: I use a d7000 with lenses/flashes at its price point. Using these with the 3100 body, there is very little I can do with the 7000 that I cannot do with the 3100 as well. Just have to treat it with a little more care, the 7000 has much better build quality. Other than that, the 3100 body is perfectly capable.
Old 30th April 2013, 21:22   #11741
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
For people that are ok with the crop sensor format, the 3100 body won't be inadequate for a long time.
Yes built-in Auto-Focus motor is missed. Lenses without AF-S must be cheaper, that could be a huge advantage with Body's with A-F motor.

Quote:
To elaborate: I use a d7000 with lenses/flashes at its price point. Using these with the 3100 body, there is very little I can do with the 7000 that I cannot do with the 3100 as well. Just have to treat it with a little more care, the 7000 has much better build quality. Other than that, the 3100 body is perfectly capable.
Consolation! I might retain D3100 now. Suggest some good lenses, I was looking at 18-105, 18-200 & 18-300 lenses. VR with AF-S.
Old 1st May 2013, 06:00   #11742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Yes built-in Auto-Focus motor is missed. Lenses without AF-S must be cheaper, that could be a huge advantage with Body's with A-F motor.

Consolation! I might retain D3100 now. Suggest some good lenses, I was looking at 18-105, 18-200 & 18-300 lenses. VR with AF-S.
It is only an advantage if you already have older lenses that don't have a built in motor. Ironically, many new lens that don't have a motor are more expensive than the newer G series ones that do, and the ones with a built in motor are better at auto focusing. The motor in the body couples with the older lenses by a clunkier shaft drive that isn't as slick in operation.

As to lenses, what kind of pictures do you see being taken, and in what light? And what lens do you have already?

Last edited by Sawyer : 1st May 2013 at 06:02.
Old 1st May 2013, 09:45   #11743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
@jacs, OK. Please do post some of your shots taken using the flash.
Thank god its a holiday today! Got a chance to test the YN465 though I have a very shy model at home.

Overall look and feel is nice, not so flimsy as I thought seeing the price. But yes, the battery compartment needs some close attention. Do it twice and you are used to it anyways.

My 1000d detected YN465 easily and it was just a breeze to start using it. There are many expert settings which I did not attempt yet

Here's some indoor test shots. Cam setting is as below and flash bounced at 75 degrees on roof. Lens used is 50 1.8 prime.
Name:  cam settings.PNG
Views: 895
Size:  5.8 KB

Original room lighting with out flash
The DSLR Thread-1_no-flash.jpg

Canon E-TTL Mode
The DSLR Thread-2_ettlii.jpg

Manual Mode - 2 points
The DSLR Thread-3_m2.jpg

Manual Mode - 4 points
The DSLR Thread-3_m4.jpg

Manual Mode - 6 points
The DSLR Thread-4_m6.jpg

Manual Mode - 7 points (Maximum temp)
The DSLR Thread-5_m7.jpg

Last edited by jacs : 1st May 2013 at 09:47.
Old 1st May 2013, 16:00   #11744
BHPian

Bought a Nikon 50mm 1.8G. Must say pictures look very sharp with this lens, and yeah its 'bokeh'licious!!
Old 1st May 2013, 18:05   #11745
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
It is only an advantage if you already have older lenses that don't have a built in motor. Ironically, many new lens that don't have a motor are more expensive than the newer G series ones that do, and the ones with a built in motor are better at auto focusing.
As to lenses, what kind of pictures do you see being taken, and in what light? And what lens do you have already?
Thanks, so one is better off with AF-S lenses. I was thinking whether I should swap D3100 with a SLR that has AF-S motor in body & then get some good lenses.

For now I have a stock 18-55, 50-200mm, Sigma 150-500mm OS. These lenses are for Canon's that I have. For Nikon I have only 18-55VR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks