Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2013, 17:54   #11551
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I would stick with the cheapest for a novice, the 3100, a great deal right now at 21k for the body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Get the latest sensor camera which I believe out of the 3 is the 3200 coz capability wise I think they are almost equal with probably better features on the 5100
D3100 - $399
D3200 - $569
D5100 - $519

Why is D3200 costlier than D5100? Believe, for a novice like me D3100 would suffice.

Alternatively, can some one point what I will miss with D3100 if I dont chose the other 2 ?
Old 28th March 2013, 18:16   #11552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
D3100 - $399
D3200 - $569
D5100 - $519

Why is D3200 costlier than D5100? Believe, for a novice like me D3100 would suffice.

Alternatively, can some one point what I will miss with D3100 if I dont chose the other 2 ?
D3200 is newer so costlier. Probably better sensor as well (its 24MP vs 16MP on the D5100). I say probably as I am not convinced that you need that many mega pixels on an APSC sensor. D5100 has a very very good sensor as well.

I think you should strive for D5100 if you want Nikon. It has a very good sensor (better than the one on D3100) and swivel screen (will help with videos or some difficult shots).

By the way, some people here maintain its better to buy Canon if you are looking at entry level DSLR. The benefit is, lenses are cheaper. Somebody knowing Canon system can elucidate better.

Also you can look at Sony SLTs alternatively. Very compelling choices (I presume you do not have any existing lenses/gear) in Sony lineup as well. I dont think you should be just canikon biased.

Last edited by joslicx : 28th March 2013 at 18:20.
Old 28th March 2013, 18:35   #11553
Senior - BHPian

THe problem with entry level Nikons is lack of AF motor in body and all Nikon lenses do not have AF motor. Usually the motarized lenses are costlier.
So if you want to move beyond kit lens and try out primes buying a Nikon body with AF on all lenses makes more sense.

Second major feature lacking in D3100, D3200 and D5100 is DOF preview button as a matter of fact over 80% people do not know what it is for
but it is a useful feature and you will know once you use it.

In canon world all lenses are created alike so that is an advantage.
It's not that Canon lenses are cheaper in some cases they are costlier then Nikon.

Example Canon 35 F2 is costlier then Nikon 35 F1.8 but Canon 50F 1.8 is lot cheaper then Nikon 50 F1.8. There is still no match for Canon 100-400 IS USM at that price point from Nikon ( though Canon has increased it price unrealistically)

So consider your requirements and the system cost in total before deciding
while deciding system cost look for 3ed party lenses as well for example there is no match for new Sigma 35 F1.4 from Nikon or Canon at that price point.
Similarly for APS-C Sigma 30 F1.4 and also Sigma 85 F1.4 are venerable.

Last but not the least don't go by what DXO marks says and what people tell you about X camera sensor is best.

Look at photots in flicker and for some of the photos you can easily tell the lens and focal length used but if you think they are from latest sensor then check exif and in 80% of cases you will be surprised.

Camera is not just sensor with high ISO and low noise and if this is not the case then Pentax Kx /Kr are the cheapest and best.

A good camera is combination of following factors you can decide how much weight to be assigned to each factor as per your use

1. AF Speed and cost of long telephotos : Most important if you are in to birds or shooting kids.
So choice between Nikon D3100 or higher nikon or entry level Canon can be decided by this.

2. Price of normal and short telephoto lenses ( 35 , 50 , 85): Most important if you are in people photography

3. Weight and size of the equipment : most important if you are into street photography for example Canon 7D may be best and costliest APS-C for birds but not for street photos.

5. Image buffer : If you need rapidfire shooting or not.

6. Availability of fast lenses : Certain cases this can be deciding factor and Mirrorless systems suck here. Fast lenses are not just for low light where sensor can compensate but it is for subject isolation.

7. Do you need UWA lenses ? Certain systems are avoidable due to lack of UWA.

So as you can see all the above factors may give you better idea on what to buy rather then sensor alone.

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th March 2013 at 18:38.
Old 28th March 2013, 18:37   #11554
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Also you can look at Sony SLTs alternatively. Very compelling choices (I presume you do not have any existing lenses/gear) in Sony lineup as well. I dont think you should be just canikon biased.
+1

If he's not Canikon biased he could also consider a mirror-less system from Olympus, Panasonic or Fuji. This is especially so if he does not foresee the need for one of Canikon's vast range of lenses.

These MLCs are very credible alternatives to APS-C DSLRs especially for those just starting off in the world of photography. Of course they have their drawbacks but the advantages are tempting too.

dre@ms - you may want to head over to the EVIL cameras thread for more info.
Old 28th March 2013, 19:07   #11555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
+1

If he's not Canikon biased he could also consider a mirror-less system from Olympus, Panasonic or Fuji. This is especially so if he does not foresee the need for one of Canikon's vast range of lenses.

These MLCs are very credible alternatives to APS-C DSLRs especially for those just starting off in the world of photography. Of course they have their drawbacks but the advantages are tempting too.

well R2D2, Two points against MLCs:

1. At this pricepoint ($500 or thereabouts), none of them comes with a viewfinder. A serious handicap if you ask me. MLCs are good if budget is around $1000+ (so that the OM-D is gettable )

2. Samurai's recent experiences with Olympus India service and other people's frustrations (including mine) in getting lenses. Its safer to get DSLRs really. Better support, better availability of lenses/gear (for example I cannot buy a remote trigger for my OM-D in India as it is just not available anywhere!), better resale and all round better image as well (last one could be important if you want to impress others).

Last edited by joslicx : 28th March 2013 at 19:09.
Old 28th March 2013, 19:26   #11556
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. At this pricepoint ($500 or thereabouts), none of them comes with a viewfinder. A serious handicap if you ask me. MLCs are good if budget is around $1000+ (so that the OM-D is gettable )

2. Samurai's recent experiences with Olympus India service and other people's frustrations (including mine) in getting lenses. Its safer to get DSLRs really. Better support, better availability of lenses/gear (for example I cannot buy a remote trigger for my OM-D in India as it is just not available anywhere!), better resale and all round better image as well (last one could be important if you want to impress others).
Joslicx, yes, what you say is absolutely right.

But anybody buying a kit other than Canikon should know about these drawbacks. Something that I highlighted myself in the EVIL cameras thread during and after my EVIL camera purchases, the latest as recently as Monday. You would have read my ramblings in that thread.

Having sunk in 2 feet, plus a hand, in 3 different systems (Nikon, Oly AND Fuji, which I admit is not the most logical of decisions), I am very aware of their advantages & disadvantages. Which is why I have restricted my exposure to Oly and Fuji's systems.

All that said, Sony is not any different - SLTs have had a lukewarm reception and I have been encouraging my bro not to buy an A99 and instead go in for a Canon (5D Mk3) as it is the safest best when you consider the amount you spend on the body, glass and accessories.

Unfortunately I do not trust consumer electronics companies such as Sony and Panasonic to stay true to their camera business

This post by Ming Thein (one of my favorite sites) offers food for thought:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/03/19...-does-it-mean/

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th March 2013 at 19:28. Reason: typo
Old 28th March 2013, 21:24   #11557
Team-BHP Support

After Google acquired Nik S/W, the prices have been sanitised quite a bit.
The full Nik bundle of plugins is now available at 149. Add to it 15% coupon codes available over web and its really a steal.
Old 28th March 2013, 23:47   #11558
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
After Google acquired Nik S/W, the prices have been sanitised quite a bit. The full Nik bundle of plugins is now available at 149. Add to it 15% coupon codes available over web and its really a steal.
Unfortunately for me I purchased the software today for $149 without a coupon code. With a 15% coupon I could've saved some $22. Sigh.. :(
Old 29th March 2013, 04:48   #11559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unfortunately for me I purchased the software today for $149 without a coupon code. With a 15% coupon I could've saved some $22. Sigh.. :(
I was looking at Nik for HDR and other plugins. But they were way too costly. On top it of they were not allowing online purchase from India. This made me look at Photomatix and Topaz.The day google took over I was expecting prices to come down. From the state where each plugin was 100/200$, to have a full bundle at 149 is quite commendable.

And the bundle now is worth the price now for sure.
Old 29th March 2013, 08:27   #11560
BHPian

Quote:
D3200 is newer so costlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
THe problem with entry level Nikons is lack of AF motor in body..
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Joslicx, yes, what you say is absolutely right.
Guys, many thanks for a detailed and exhaustive suggestion. There are many a thoughts now coming into my mind. But first is first, let me explain what is the need for my DSLR now and its future.
1. I was using Canon Digital Camera since a year back. Had to gift it, so bought a Canon HD Handycam. The photos were looking good, but not many options and it lacked a flash. So it becomes useless in low light.
2. My son is now grown and playful, so need to capture every movement of his. Some of those are captured using my S3, but it is not looking that effective for a print.
Wife wants to take a snap of my son and blow it up to the max and decorate the house. So the need for the DSLR is clear now.
3. If I buy a DSLR now, I wont be changing it or may be the lens atleast for the next couple of years. If at all I face any issues with it.
4. I am not that comfortable with lens, aperture, ISO lingo's but, will learn it once I get the DSLR.

End note, DSLR for me is to take personal photos and use it for printing. I have no idea of hanging the cam to my chest and search for birds or awesome moments elsewhere.

Sorry if my understanding of a DSLR is very lame.
Old 29th March 2013, 08:37   #11561
Senior - BHPian

Dreams I think you need an advanced P&S or bridge camera rather then DSLR.
Old 29th March 2013, 10:57   #11562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. My son is now grown and playful, so need to capture every movement of his. Some of those are captured using my S3, but it is not looking that effective for a print. Wife wants to take a snap of my son and blow it up to the max and decorate the house. So the need for the DSLR is clear now.
At this time a DSLR is probably overkill for your needs but then you got to start someday. Photos of your kid can be taken with an advanced P&S or bridge camera as amitk26 has said.

But a DSLR is a long term and better solution; as active kids get difficult to track for the focusing system. Depending on your budget choose the D5100 or D3200. Other than the kit lens buy a 50mm F1.8 AF-S lens which costs about 12K.

These will last you a couple or more years thru your child's growing years before you get the itch to upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I was looking at Nik for HDR and other plugins. But they were way too costly. On top it of they were not allowing online purchase from India. This made me look at Photomatix and Topaz.The day google took over I was expecting prices to come down. From the state where each plugin was 100/200$, to have a full bundle at 149 is quite commendable.

And the bundle now is worth the price now for sure.
Yes it wasn't available for purchase by buyers in India earlier so it's really good Google changed that policy and of course reduced the price by 2/3rds.
It is worth the price now.

I use Topaz & Photomatix Pro as well. Between Topaz and Nik you have one of the best plugins available for PS and LR.
Old 29th March 2013, 11:15   #11563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Dreams I think you need an advanced P&S or bridge camera rather then DSLR.
Will it be in the same cost range. BTW, haven't heard these words before.

Quote:
Depending on your budget choose the D5100 or D3200. Other than the kit lens buy a 50mm F1.8 AF-S lens which costs about 12K.
Ok, will consider either the D5100 or 3200. Is the lens you have mentioned is same I have mentioned too. 50mm f1.8G ?
Old 29th March 2013, 11:33   #11564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Will it be in the same cost range. BTW, haven't heard these words before. Ok, will consider either the D5100 or 3200. Is the lens you have mentioned is same I have mentioned too. 50mm f1.8G ?
It depends. Some P&S (point and shoot) cameras can be expensive for e.g. the Sony RX100 which is about 34-35K (not worth it in your situation), bridge cameras like the Sony HX100 are also 20-25K range. There are a variety of models, far too many to list here. A bridge camera is one that is has the characteristics of a PNS and a DSLR. It normally comes with a non interchangeable zoom lens, an electronic viewfinder plus considerably more picture control options than you'd get in a PNS camera.

And yes, the Nikon lens I suggested is the 50mm F/1.8G. It is the AF-S version i.e. comes with a built in focus motor.
Old 29th March 2013, 12:38   #11565
BHPian

Quote:
And yes, the Nikon lens I suggested is the 50mm F/1.8G. It is the AF-S version i.e. comes with a built in focus motor.
Getting a camera for 20-30K, let me be future proof. Will stick with Nikon DSLR's.
Going through some videos on Youtube to get a compare between 5100 and 3200. Seems, 5100 will be my bet. Atleast for the articulated LCD screen, which can be protected too.
This would be my final decision,
Nikon D5100 with Nikor 50mm f1.8G Lens

Thanks for all the souls who trained my brain and mind.

Most Viewed