Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2013, 20:19   #11536
BHPian

Wonder if this still qualifies to be a valid candidate(s) to showcase here.

It's springtime and I poked around in a closet to rediscover a couple of surprises.

Name:  ForumRunner_20130324_194115.png
Views: 473
Size:  631.7 KB

A wave of nostalgia passed over. I had forgotten about these comrades for over a decade I think, when we switched over to zeroes and ones for imaging too.

It was good and bad at the same time. The anxiety of getting a film processed, finding a few perfect pictures and the agony of losing a few precious frames to bad shots (photography was an expensive hobby then) was all gone in the freedom that came with the digital shift.

These prized possessions are: a Nikon F3 that has a 50mm f/1.4 kit lens and the 80-200 Nikkor zoom. Oh besides them is certainly a non evil camera of its time, the Minolta XG-1 with a 50mm f/1.7 kit lens.

Friends, what do you think I should do with them? Do you think it's worth buying a dslr body and use these lenses? It saddens me to see such good stuff go to seed!

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 24th March 2013 at 20:25.
Old 24th March 2013, 23:13   #11537
Senior - BHPian

Re: EVIL Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post

Friends, what do you think I should do with them? Do you think it's worth buying a dslr body and use these lenses? It saddens me to see such good stuff go to seed!

First check if there is no fungus in lens if yes then get the fungus cleaned ASAP.
Chek the condition of camera and get CLA done as well.

For using lens you can buy EVIL and an adapter for Minolta and Nikon.
Old 24th March 2013, 23:26   #11538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

First check if there is no fungus in lens if yes then get the fungus cleaned ASAP.
Chek the condition of camera and get CLA done as well.

For using lens you can buy EVIL and an adapter for Minolta and Nikon.
Oh I did that and sure enough there is fungus on the lenses, and I had silica gel in the case, but still. However is it worth the trouble cleaning them and using them on a new body, is the moot question.

The cameras themselves seem fine, but will need new LR44 batteries for a full check. But that hardly matters, I am not going back to film..
Old 26th March 2013, 21:13   #11539
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
These prized possessions are: a Nikon F3 that has a 50mm f/1.4 kit lens and the 80-200 Nikkor zoom. Friends, what do you think I should do with them? Do you think it's worth buying a dslr body and use these lenses? It saddens me to see such good stuff go to seed!
Wow! A Nikon F3 with the 80-200 and 50mm 1.4 would have been THE high end kit of my dreams back in the '80s.

I hope you can restore these beauties to their original glory. Have you approached Nikon Gurgaon to enquire about cleaning the fungus off the lenses and a general service for the camera body? As for using the lenses with digital bodies, they can be used on higher end digital bodies and depending on the lens - with or without metering. These lenses won't be AF models I assume.
Old 26th March 2013, 23:58   #11540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Wow! A Nikon F3 with the 80-200 and 50mm 1.4 would have been THE high end kit of my dreams back in the '80s.

I hope you can restore these beauties to their original glory. Have you approached Nikon Gurgaon to enquire about cleaning the fungus off the lenses and a general service for the camera body? As for using the lenses with digital bodies, they can be used on higher end digital bodies and depending on the lens - with or without metering. These lenses won't be AF models I assume.
Restore them I will, but only if it's worth it. Manual focus, the lenses certainly are.

(sorry couldn't help evoke good old Yoda, on seeing your moniker)

Could you tell me where in Gurgaon the Nikon service centre is? I was going to go to mahattas instead. In fact my Panasonic lumix fz18 has a black spot on the sensor and it needs service too.
Old 27th March 2013, 08:40   #11541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Restore them I will, but only if it's worth it. Manual focus, the lenses certainly are.

(sorry couldn't help evoke good old Yoda, on seeing your moniker)

Could you tell me where in Gurgaon the Nikon service centre is? I was going to go to mahattas instead. In fact my Panasonic lumix fz18 has a black spot on the sensor and it needs service too.
As these are MF I think any good camera technician can service them.
Heard that there are good camera service guys at chandni chowk may be delhi members can provide references.
Old 27th March 2013, 10:52   #11542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

(sorry couldn't help evoke good old Yoda, on seeing your moniker).
LOL! This reminded me that I've been meaning to update my signature with one of Yoda's quotes...and I finally did.

Quote:
Could you tell me where in Gurgaon the Nikon service centre is?
Here are two Nikon run service centres in the NCR region, choose whichever is closest to you.

Gurgaon:

Plot No. 17, Sector 32, Institutional Area, Gurgaon 122001, Haryana

Phone 0124 4688514

New Delhi:

Samyak Towers, 3rd Floor, TF1 & TF2
39, Pusa Road, ( near pillar number 120)
New Delhi – 110005
Tel 011 43242700

Call before you go and tell them about the F3. They will probably ask you to bring in the lenses and camera for an inspection before giving a quote. If cost is prohibitive then you can choose a 3rd party service centre. However, parts may be difficult to obtain.
Old 27th March 2013, 11:48   #11543
BHPian

I am a novice to DSLR. Decided on Nikkon D3100\5100 with Nikkor 50mm f1.8G lens as suggested by shajufx

I am moving from D3100 to D5100 mainly because, we are not getting the body alone in Canada stores.

In Nikon website, there are some freebees like 4GB SD Card and DSLR Bag, but the same is not mentioned in any of the canadian websites. Means it is not available?

Last edited by dre@ms : 27th March 2013 at 11:49.
Old 27th March 2013, 16:01   #11544
BHPian

Quote:

LOL! This reminded me that I've been meaning to update my signature with one of Yoda's quotes...and I finally did.

Here are two Nikon run service centres in the NCR region, choose whichever is closest to you.

Gurgaon:

Plot No. 17, Sector 32, Institutional Area, Gurgaon 122001, Haryana

Phone 0124 4688514

New Delhi:

Samyak Towers, 3rd Floor, TF1 & TF2
39, Pusa Road, ( near pillar number 120)
New Delhi – 110005
Tel 011 43242700

Call before you go and tell them about the F3. They will probably ask you to bring in the lenses and camera for an inspection before giving a quote. If cost is prohibitive then you can choose a 3rd party service centre. However, parts may be difficult to obtain.
Follow it up, I will.

Thanks for the info. mate. Happy Holi.
Old 27th March 2013, 19:37   #11545
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I am moving from D3100 to D5100 mainly because, we are not getting the body alone in Canada stores.

In Nikon website, there are some freebees like 4GB SD Card and DSLR Bag, but the same is not mentioned in any of the canadian websites. Means it is not available?
I am not sure which Nikon website (country specific) you're looking at. Is it India? Keep in mind the freebies are country specific as is the warranty on the camera body. So make your choice carefully.

Quote:
Follow it up, I will.

Thanks for the info. mate. Happy Holi.
Happy Holi bro!
Old 28th March 2013, 09:30   #11546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am a novice to DSLR. Decided on Nikkon D3100\5100 with Nikkor 50mm f1.8G lens as suggested by shajufx

Those freebies are available, in India. I picked them up with a d3100 I bought as a gift.

For a novice, the 35 1.8 G is a better lens, more of an all rounder prime, to learn how to take good pictures. Do your zooming by using your feet.
Old 28th March 2013, 11:10   #11547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
... For a novice, the 35 1.8 G is a better lens, more of an all rounder prime ...
What are the other possibilities for a prime for the (low-end) Nikon bodies?
Old 28th March 2013, 11:19   #11548
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure which Nikon website (country specific) you're looking at. Is it India? Keep in mind the freebies are country specific as is the warranty on the camera body. So make your choice carefully.
Yes, it is indeed mentioned in the Indian website. Will check on the warranty part too. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Those freebies are available, in India. I picked them up with a d3100 I bought as a gift.

For a novice, the 35 1.8 G is a better lens, more of an all rounder prime, to learn how to take good pictures. Do your zooming by using your feet.
I am not able to find the gifts mentioned in their Canada website. Bad.

I am a bit confused now. Out of the 3 which one will be the best bet.
D3100
D3200
D5100
Old 28th March 2013, 12:56   #11549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
What are the other possibilities for a prime for the (low-end) Nikon bodies?
50 1.8 and 85 1.8, both G series. And not just for low end bodies.

Quote:
Yes, it is indeed mentioned in the Indian website. Will check on the warranty part too. Thanks.

D3100
D3200
D5100
Quite honestly, not much to choose, because they are close to each other in the model range and camera generations. I would stick with the cheapest for a novice, the 3100, a great deal right now at 21k for the body. It will be a long time before you outgrow its capability.

Last edited by Sawyer : 28th March 2013 at 12:59.
Old 28th March 2013, 13:40   #11550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

D3100
D3200
D5100
Get the latest sensor camera which I believe out of the 3 is the 3200 coz capability wise I think they are almost equal with probably better features on the 5100

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks