Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2013, 20:42   #11461
BANNED

Re: The DSLR Thread

Nope DXO are just guessing .The D3200 has a nikon designed sensor it could be made by Sony http://nikonrumors.com/2012/06/22/th...by-nikon.aspx/
Old 26th February 2013, 20:53   #11462
Distinguished - BHPian

@aim120 - that's right. DXO obviously haven't updated their April 2012 review information. Read this Nikon sensor bit on Thom Hogan's site too. But the performance parameters between the 3 are remarkably similar.
Old 26th February 2013, 22:39   #11463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
The D3200 doesn't have SLT mirror and i don't think the D3200 has the same sensor has in A77 or NEX 7.
The idea is to know if the translucent mirror negatively affects sensitivity performance. I think only way would be to compare D3200 & A77 as lot of people have commented that both have same 24MP sensor made by Sony.

I think Nex-7 also has same sensor and I've read in almost all reviews that Nex-7 has better sensitivity performance than A77.
Old 26th February 2013, 22:58   #11464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
The idea is to know if the translucent mirror negatively affects sensitivity performance. I think only way would be to compare D3200 & A77 as lot of people have commented that both have same 24MP sensor made by Sony.

I think Nex-7 also has same sensor and I've read in almost all reviews that Nex-7 has better sensitivity performance than A77.
Yes the NEX7 does better in low light than the DSLT.

You'll also find additional info in the DXO link that I posted below. The transluscent mirror affects low light performance of the A77 and probaby other DSLTs like the A99 as well. Some sites say the Nikon D3200 has a Nikon designed sensor manufactured by Sony at their fabs. Hence the 'Nikon' imprint on the sensor.
Old 26th February 2013, 23:03   #11465
BANNED

Everyone knows that Translucent Mirror Technology or TMT as sony calls it takes away around 30% of the light.So to compensate the Sony SLT have a higher ISO setting applied then whats shown on screen.

NEX 7 vs A77 or A580 vs A55/A57 all shows us that the TMT does effect the sensitivity of the sensor as evident in DXO mark.Despite this the Sony SLT cameras have better ISO performance then other cameras with a APS-C size sensor such as canon 600D/650D/60D,samsung NX and is a match to cameras such as the 7D.
Old 27th February 2013, 08:09   #11466
BHPian

Want some expert opinion on Nikon P510 with 42 Optical Zoom, Gps, Tilt LCD & few other features which enable good photos in night mode too. Any suggestions are welcome, well i don t want to go for SLR or DSLR, when i can get the same in prosumer camera.
Old 27th February 2013, 09:11   #11467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail View Post
Want some expert opinion on Nikon P510 with 42 Optical Zoom, Gps, Tilt LCD & few other features which enable good photos in night mode too. Any suggestions are welcome, well i don t want to go for SLR or DSLR, when i can get the same in prosumer camera.

Since you don't want a DSLR, you may be able to get answers to your query here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...sions-etc.html

Mods: please move ukderebail's post to the digital camera thread if possible
Old 27th February 2013, 10:06   #11468
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

After lots of research, finally purchased by first DSLR.

Canon 600D with 18-55 + 50 mm prime lens + UV filters. It was a choice between Canon 600D, Nikon D5100. Finally went with the Canon as it felt better in my hand, had more physical buttons and better viewfinder. Nikon has better high ISO performance, 3200 and higher. Also, though the Nikon was bout 4K cheaper, the prime lens in the Canon is about 6K cheaper than the cheapest Nikon prime lens. So, kind of evens out on the cost front.

Still in the learning phase but the few initial photos I have taken are mind-blowing. Particularly, the portraits with the 50 mm lens have come out really well.

Can someone suggest me a good post-processing software which is free? I have not yet played with the software provided by Canon but I expect it to be crap.
Old 27th February 2013, 11:26   #11469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I read somewhere, probably on DPreview, that FF sensors are prone to attracting more dust than smaller crop sensors as they generate a stronger static charge due to the larger surface area. I am not sure if this is a scientifically proven fact or just one of those assumptions you read on the 'net.

Is that true?
Well larger surface area means more real estate for dust to stick but then if you measure in terms of static charge per square mm it should be nearly same. So if there is anything like dust flux ( dust / square mm) it should be same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post

Can someone suggest me a good post-processing software which is free? I have not yet played with the software provided by Canon but I expect it to be crap.
Congratulations.

And no Canon DPP is not crap it is actually good for basic RAW processing with all the required functionality. In fact you will not need other RAW processing software like Adobe RAW / UFRaw / Rawtherepee ( later 2 are FOSS) if you are using DPP.
However if you want to do a lot of layer based processing /masks etc then you need Photoshop or GIMP.
Old 27th February 2013, 11:51   #11470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Canon 600D with 18-55 + 50 mm prime lens + UV filters. It was a choice between Canon 600D, Nikon D5100. Finally went with the Canon as it felt better in my hand, had more physical buttons and better viewfinder. Nikon has better high ISO performance, 3200 and higher. Also, though the Nikon was bout 4K cheaper, the prime lens in the Canon is about 6K cheaper than the cheapest Nikon prime lens. So, kind of evens out on the cost front.

Still in the learning phase but the few initial photos I have taken are mind-blowing. Particularly, the portraits with the 50 mm lens have come out really well.

You're both right and wrong about the Nikon 50mm cost. Wrong, in the sense that the cheapest Nikon 50mm is the 1.8D for 6,000-odd rupees. However, that lens will not auto focus with the D5100 and so you'd have to buy the 1.8G version, which costs 13k approx. You're right - that is way more than the Canon prime for essentially the same tech and functionality.

Either way, I've always maintained that Canon is a better entry-level choice compared with Nikon because everything is compatible and you get the best AF technology across the board. Nikon cripples its entry-level bodies when it comes to working with all generations of its AF technology and that negates a key reason for choosing the brand.

Free photo processing software, in my opinion, is all pretty basic. I'd suggest buying Adobe Photoshop Elements for $100. Does most of what the full suite does and will meet your needs for a long time.

Enjoy your new camera.
Old 27th February 2013, 12:09   #11471
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
You're both right and wrong about the Nikon 50mm cost. Wrong, in the sense that the cheapest Nikon 50mm is the 1.8D for 6,000-odd rupees. However, that lens will not auto focus with the D5100 and so you'd have to buy the 1.8G version, which costs 13k approx. You're right - that is way more than the Canon prime for essentially the same tech and functionality.

Either way, I've always maintained that Canon is a better entry-level choice compared with Nikon because everything is compatible and you get the best AF technology across the board. Nikon cripples its entry-level bodies when it comes to working with all generations of its AF technology and that negates a key reason for choosing the brand.

Free photo processing software, in my opinion, is all pretty basic. I'd suggest buying Adobe Photoshop Elements for $100. Does most of what the full suite does and will meet your needs for a long time.

Enjoy your new camera.
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, you are right about the Nikon prime lens. The problem with entry level Nikon DSLRs is that they do not have AF motor in the body and hence you have to buy the AF-S lenses for autofocus. And I don't think many people would want a lens without autofocus, so the starting price becomes 13K.
I think higher end Nikon DSLR's come with in built AF motor in the body and they can make use of the cheaper lens.

I will look at the photoshop Elements software but first, let me try out what Canon has provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post

Congratulations.

And no Canon DPP is not crap it is actually good for basic RAW processing with all the required functionality. In fact you will not need other RAW processing software like Adobe RAW / UFRaw / Rawtherepee ( later 2 are FOSS) if you are using DPP.
However if you want to do a lot of layer based processing /masks etc then you need Photoshop or GIMP.

Thanks bro.
I was looking for some post processing software for creating HDR images as I do not have the feature in the camera.
Will the canon software work for that?
And I do not intend to shoot at RAW in the present and immediate future.

Cheers!

Last edited by adimicra : 27th February 2013 at 12:22.
Old 27th February 2013, 13:59   #11472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats and wishing you many happy hours of shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
+1

But at the risk of (inadvertently) starting another N v/s C war I feel the newer generation Nikons (<2 years old) have better sensors.

Some Nikon related gripes: Entry level bodies are made in Thailand while Canon's are still made in Japan. May not much off a difference quality wise IF the company maintains its QC and more importantly QA. Just there's an added comfort feeling that is higher when you purchase a MIJ body/lens.

Hasten to add though that Nikon's MIJ cameras have also faced QA issues for e.g. in some D4s/D800s while the D600 is an MIT product and still facing oil/dust on sensor problems. Either way it points to an overall drop in Nikon's quality and even MIJ is not up to the high standard it used to be. I have not read about the same level of QC/QA issues with Canon products bar the light leak issue with the 5D Mk3.

Quote:
Well larger surface area means more real estate for dust to stick but then if you measure in terms of static charge per square mm it should be nearly same. So if there is anything like dust flux ( dust / square mm) it should be same.
True.

Hmm..but isn't static on the sensor also in direct proportion to the size and/or number of photosites?
Old 27th February 2013, 14:40   #11473
Senior - BHPian

I have a Canon EOS 1000D and have been looking for a good macro lens for it for sometime. I am considering the Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens. Though it is a little pricey, I am thinking of getting a used lens from the UK. Considering that my cam is not full-frame, I see that this lens is more suited for it.

Your thoughts?
Old 28th February 2013, 00:37   #11474
BHPian

Canon 7D Rental in Trivandrum

Does anybody know any Camera Rental place in Trivandrum.....and the rates?
I'm looking for a 7D.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28th February 2013, 08:23   #11475
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
And no Canon DPP is not crap it is actually good for basic RAW processing with all the required functionality.

+1 to Amit. No other S/W can reproduce the colour as native camera S/W. Cano DPP does the best colour reproduction. If ever you want to post process in a differernt S/W convert RAW to TIFF in DPP and then import the TIFF to others (LR / Aperture/ PS etc)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks