Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 16:12   #11371
BANNED

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I use the free DNG converter to convert OM-D raw files to DNG. Only then I can open in CS4.
What free DNG convertor? The one in Ubuntu 12.04 does not seem to work or produce any output files. I just purchased Corel Afteshot Pro for $60 last week after the 30 day trial expired.

--R
Old 13th February 2013, 17:03   #11372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Thank you so much for the advice. Even I am not very optimistic of finding any buyers for the 18-55. I would try to exchange it in the shop for 35mm. The downside being I will not be getting a decent price for it but lets see. Will try to negotiate.

Thanks
I highly reccoment to keep the kit lens with you. I have the same combo (D5100+50 mm Prime & 18-55). 18-55 is highly under rated lens. It comes handy when you are capturing landscape and its V.R works very well. I managed handheld shots up to 1/15 s without any issue. Moreover, if you manage to sell this lens, you will be doing it for pennies. You can see a few sample images-portraits with 50 mm & landscapes with 18-55

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=608dd7e11b

Last edited by princenoble : 13th February 2013 at 17:06.
Old 13th February 2013, 17:21   #11373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Yes I am liking it. Much simpler than GIMP, and the colours are accurate.
Any idea where to buy it from cheaply? The Nikon India site says 11k! Perhaps download the key from US where it is much cheaper?
I think Capture NX is Nikon's professional version S/W. Hence it can be costly.
Old 15th February 2013, 13:39   #11374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I own a Nikon D7000 with kit lens (55-105). I am planning of getting a telephoto lens, on checking for list of Nikkor lenses came across these two -
Fx format - 70 - 300- MRP Rs: 32450 http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/product...tLink=gp11zkzb FX Format/AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f4.5-5.6G

Dx format - 55-300 -MRP Rs: 21450 http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/product...tLink=gp11zkz8 DX Format AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f4.5-5.6G ED

Iam inclided towards 70-300 since the zoom range is less and hence pictures may be sharper. However its almost 50 % expensive than 55-300 and both have same F -stops. However first is Fx and second is Dx format lens, what is the difference between these?

Also on higher budget there is Dx format 18-300 - MRP Rs 73000 http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/product...tLink=gp11zkz8 DX Format 18-300mm f3.5- 5.6G

And Fx format 28- 300 with MRP Rs: 74000 http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/product...tLink=gp11zkzb FX Format 28-300mm f3.5-5.6G

These both are above my budget as of now, however will it be worth the money since the F-stop values are 3.5 compared to 4.5 for first two lenses.
I use the 70-300mm vr 80% of the time. If you use it properly it can deliver very good results. It has served me well for shooting wildlife as well for shooting peaks, sunsets and other landscapes i.e. even for unconventional shots. I posted a few shots in the non-auto image thread earlier today you can have a look.

You might also want to consider the 70- 200mm f4 when you have more budget.
Old 15th February 2013, 13:45   #11375
Distinguished - BHPian

Nikon's stock is on a down after they trimmed their forecasts for this FY.

IMHO, and of many others too, Nikon is reaping what it sowed when the company decided to ignore the DX line of cameras - for long their bread and butter range. I am just hoping these guys wake up and smell the coffee before people migrate to Canon. Why? The thing is if you have to go FX you might as well consider Canon FX cameras as well. Better choice.

Anyone who wishes to buy Nikon lenses and has contacts in the US may be able to get them at a better price.

Here's the report on nikonrumors.com:

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/14/if...saturday.aspx/
Old 15th February 2013, 14:03   #11376
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The thing is if you have to go FX you might as well consider Canon FX cameras as well. Better choice.
I dont think one can categorically say "better". The new 6D for example does not have the same AF speed as the comparable Nikon (D600) and Canon still does not have a 18-300 (all in one lens) to go to 300mm (aka 450mm for FF users) with Canon you still need a 2 lens solution (or a Tamron/Sigma).

Oh I know SLR gurus will say why get an SLR if you want a single lens solution. Well I have a few lenses but when I am out on the road with my wife and son in tow a 18-270 (Tamron) serves 75-80% of my needs (a 28/1.8 and 50/1.4 serves the other 20-25%). Sadly the Tamron's AF speed (on the 60D) is significantly slower than the Canon 18-200. Significant enough to miss a few photo ops. Similar problems were faced using the Sigma 30/1.4 on a Canon 40D and a Tamron 70-300 on a 550D so I believe this issue is it not just me or the camera-lens combo.

Nikon too has few gaps in their line ups but I am not as aware of Nikon's limitations as I am a Canon SLR owner. R2D2 can you offer some SIMPLE insight here.

Last edited by navin : 15th February 2013 at 14:07.
Old 15th February 2013, 14:35   #11377
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I dont think one can categorically say "better". Nikon too has few gaps in their line ups but I am not as aware of Nikon's limitations as I am a Canon SLR owner. R2D2 can you offer some SIMPLE insight here.
What I meant by 'better' was not better choice in the Canon range but better choice in the Nikon + Canon range.

I am no imaging industry analyst but I do follow the moves of major imaging companies like Canikon pretty closely as a matter of personal interest. You may be aware I too have jumped on the MLC bandwagon when I purchased an Olympus OM-D EM5

Anyways, back to the biggest thorn(s) in the side. The biggest issues current DX owners, a couple on TBHP as well, have with Nikon is:

a) Lack of a D300/D300s successor. People want a pro grade DX DSLR - higher res (I'd say min of 16 MP or even 24MP to match entry level DSLRs), with fast frame rates, better/latest AF modules as found in the FF range. For most D300 owners the D7xxx, D5xxx and D3xxx range simply don't cut the mustard.

b) Refreshed lenses - Primarily the 80-400 AF-D (FX), 12-24 DX zoom, 17-55 DX zoom, 300 F/4 (FX).

c) Quality issues (oil spots on the sensor) with the D600, the current entry level FX DSLR, don't help the DX to FX migration cause one bit.

Many owners are now beginning to feel let down by Nikon and thinking of options including mirrorless cameras.

So putting my money where my mouth is - would I buy a DX DSLR or lenses today? I think the answer is obvious. As you know I have a considerable investment in Nikon gear but I still chose to get a m4/3rd as a backup (and carry-everywhere) camera. I even disregarded the Nikon-1 system.

Point is - I think Nikon is trying to drive customers to FX for the margins and because they want to concentrate all their energies and R&D in areas that attract the most attention in the market i.e. FX. Also DX cameras are now facing serious competition from MLCs and margins are being squeezed.

No matter what the reason, I believe ignoring DX has always been a mistake and the impact of that decision and/or foot dragging on DX is now being felt at the top and bottom line financial results. The recent political standoff with China another big market for them isnt helping.

Nikon is especially vulnerable (it's almost purely an imaging company)compared to Canon which is bigger and has interests in other tech areas. I feel that once the tail spin begins it will be too late.

Wake up Nikon!

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th February 2013 at 14:48.
Old 15th February 2013, 15:28   #11378
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

a) Lack of a D300/D300s successor.

b) Refreshed lenses - Primarily the 80-400 AF-D (FX), 12-24 DX zoom, 17-55 DX zoom, 300 F/4 (FX).

c) Quality issues (oil spots on the sensor)

m4/3rd as a backup (and carry-everywhere) camera.

Nikon is trying to drive customers to FX for the margins ...DX cameras are now facing serious competition from MLCs and margins are being squeezed.

I believe ignoring DX has always been a mistake
True that a D300s successor might never happen. Given that the Dx00 series is now full frame. But I think the future is going to divided by either 4/3 cameras or fullframes and 1.5/1.6 crop cameras will reduce in volume as full frames get cheaper and 4/3 systems devleop more lenses. So Nikon's lack of interest in Dx is understandable. Nikon is focusing on 1" (S1, V1, J1) and FF while Canon intends to work with APS-C (EOS M) and FF.

As far as lenses Canon has not revised many of their lenses either. My stock lens for example (the 17-55/2.8) is still available in it's original avatar. There may be other Canon lenses that may need revision too (usually this involved faster AF and a stop or more of IS/VR).

Last edited by navin : 15th February 2013 at 15:32.
Old 15th February 2013, 15:48   #11379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a) Lack of a D300/D300s successor. People want a pro grade DX DSLR - higher res (I'd say min of 16 MP or even 24MP to match entry level DSLRs), with fast frame rates, better/latest AF modules as found in the FF range. For most D300 owners the D7xxx, D5xxx and D3xxx range simply don't cut the mustard.
Werent there strong rumors of a D400 with 24MP sensor? I think we should see it this year at same price point as the D300 or maybe a bit lower.

Agree with most of your views. For me the lack of quality DX lenses drove me to mirrorless. Most good lenses are the very costly pro (FX) lenses in Nikon arsenal. So even if you saved on the DX body, you are forced to shell out extra on the lenses with the DSLR system.
Old 15th February 2013, 16:07   #11380
Senior - BHPian

I am one of those waiting for the D400. And a 80-400 with the latest vr provided the slow focusing issues are sorted out (or perhaps the 70-200 F2.8/F4 with 2x TC). I shoot wildlife handheld and prefer the flexibility of a zoom with good vr. The D90/70-300 has been doing yeoman duty but I have been running against the limits for a while now.

Seems Nikon will either launch the D300s successor in a few months time or combine the D7000 and D300 lines. Either way, if they have the 24mp sensor - further tweaked for noise and dynamic range improvements - with D300 type features, it would suit my purpose.

If not, I will have to look at the Canon 7D Mk2 and the 100-400L.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 15th February 2013 at 16:12.
Old 15th February 2013, 16:27   #11381
BHPian

Quote:
...Nikon is especially vulnerable (it's almost purely an imaging company)...
Not entirely correct.

Nikon is a part of the Mitsubishi group. Nikon Corporation may be most well known for their range of cameras but cameras only form a minuscule part of their business. They are the worlds second largest manufacturer of Steppers used in semi-conductor production.

They supply binoculars and other high-end imagery and optics equipment to the US Army. Not to mention, they provide a lot of equipment to NASA and other space agencies for space imagery. They are one of the largest manufacturers of microscopes. They make binoculars, monoculars, laser rangefinders and ophthalmic lenses among a host of other products.

I am sure they do a lot more. This is just the stuff that I remember off the top of my head.
Old 15th February 2013, 18:02   #11382
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
I am sure they do a lot more. This is just the stuff that I remember off the top of my head.
I am aware of what Nikon produces and that they belong to the Mitsu group. Their business lines (in order of decreasing size are) are:

a) Imaging business - cameras and lenses and other accessories.
b) Precision Equipment - stepper motors and other chip design/production equipment
c) Instruments - microscopes et al

So, let's get into specifics. I'd encourage you to take a look at their expected financial results (declared 6th Feb '13) for the YE March '13 (in the attached snapshot):

a) Total revenues in Billions of Yen = 1000 (revised downwards from 1010)
b) Precision equipment sales = 185
c) Imaging product sales = 735 (revised downwards from 740)
d) Instruments sales = 54 (revised downwards from 57)
e) Other Income = 26

As you will see the revenues from sales of products (PE+IP+Instruments) = 974 billion Yen..out of which sales of Imaging products = 735 billion Yen. This represents 75.46% of total revenues from Sales or 73.5% of Net Corporate sales of 1,000 billion Yen.

Now, if that doesn't count for 'almost entirely an imaging company' I don't know what does.

Fact is Nikon is VERY vulnerable to any drops in its core business of making cameras/lenses/accessories.

You can read more here:

http://www.nikon.com/about/ir/ir_lib...sult/index.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I am one of those waiting for the D400. And a 80-400 with the latest vr provided the slow focusing issues are sorted out (or perhaps the 70-200 F2.8/F4 with 2x TC).
If not, I will have to look at the Canon 7D Mk2 and the 100-400L.
If and when the new 80-400 is launched you bet that it will come with AF-S and VR II or VR III..possibly even Nano coated. A 2x TC on an F/4 lens is not such a good idea. Aperture will drop to F8 and AF won't work on any camera except the new D4/D800/D600 series.

As for moving to Canon...I just rest my case. This is in line with my earlier post. Current Nikon DX camera owners are entertaining thoughts of Canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
True that a D300s successor might never happen. Given that the Dx00 series is now full frame. But I think the future is going to divided by either 4/3 cameras or fullframes and 1.5/1.6 crop cameras will reduce in volume as full frames get cheaper and 4/3 systems devleop more lenses. So Nikon's lack of interest in Dx is understandable. Nikon is focusing on 1" (S1, V1, J1) and FF while Canon intends to work with APS-C (EOS M) and FF.

As far as lenses Canon has not revised many of their lenses either. My stock lens for example (the 17-55/2.8) is still available in it's original avatar. There may be other Canon lenses that may need revision too (usually this involved faster AF and a stop or more of IS/VR).
Absolutely but Nikon's lack of interest is hitting them where it hurts. Not everyone wants to move to a fullframe. It is an expensive proposition. As for Nikon 1 - it's a dud. I am waiting to check out Nikon 1 V2 which has had good reviews with the exception of 1 reviewer who trashed it. Canon-M: I don't know too much but it hasn't really generated any excitement.

Know what Navin. I hope a D300 successor does happen..for Nikon's sake. They are just too vulnerable to the bread and butter DX range being killed. I think it will be a disastrous decision. And yes, DX/Crop sensor cameras will get and are getting serious competition from MLCs. The way I see it panning out is:

a) MLCs and DX/crop sensor cameras - beginner/consumer and high end MLCs/DX bodies will serve as backup cameras. DX/crop will be the first set of bodies to lose the reflex mirror, making them more compact and light weight. IMO the DSLR DX/crop that will be converted to DX/crop mirrorless would be able to use current or even future DX lenses. Compact cameras would continue to be the m43rds, NEX APS-C and Fuji APS-C

b) FX/Full Frame - amateur enthusiast and pros. it is only a matter of time before we see a pro full frame mirrorless.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-nikon-fy-13-results.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th February 2013 at 18:05.
Old 16th February 2013, 14:28   #11383
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jap Imaging Industry - Disheartening News

Lots of bad news from camera companies. An industry wide problem exists. If anybody is interested in more news and views on the Japanese imaging industry here it is:

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/...e-results.html

Sansmirror is Thom Hogan's blog/site on mirrorless cameras. May be this post ought to be in the EVIL cameras thread but I added it here as some of these companies (Canon, Nikon & Sony) also make FF cameras/lenses.

Olympus is in a bad shape and they have doubled their projected loss. They have written off current inventories which means they could not or can not sell what they have made. Hope Oly survives in the long term.

So, caveat emptor. As mentioned in the EVIL cameras thread I have stopped any further investment in Oly gear (have 3 lenses including a kit lens) due to lax attitude towards customers in India and of course the financials. My posts here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3041907

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post3041754

Samurai too has had a few things to say about Oly in 2010 here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1772047

Sony has made a profit in only 1 of its consumer electronics divisions and that is the PS. The real money makers are financial services and content.

Bottom line is (and I quote from sansmirror.com)
  • The two largest camera makers reported profits: Canon and Nikon. Both reported declining profits.
  • The next four largest camera makers reported losses.
  • Inventories of cameras built up at most of the companies.
  • Average selling price per unit went down at all companies that reported it.
  • Market shares aren't moving much as the overall market volume declines.
Old 16th February 2013, 22:20   #11384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nikon's stock is on a down after they trimmed their forecasts for this FY.

IMHO, and of many others too, Nikon is reaping what it sowed when the company decided to ignore the DX line of cameras - for long their bread and butter range. I am just hoping these guys wake up and smell the coffee before people migrate to Canon. Why? The thing is if you have to go FX you might as well consider Canon FX cameras as well. Better choice.

Anyone who wishes to buy Nikon lenses and has contacts in the US may be able to get them at a better price.

Here's the report on nikonrumors.com:

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/02/14/if...saturday.aspx/
For someone who has stayed with the Nikon system for 20 years, your post made me chuckle a bit. I remember in the late 90s people deserting Nikon in droves because of the ancient autofocus system, which just couldn't compete with Canon's EOS mount. Now it's the various issues you've mentioned.

This is a company notorious for not listening to its customers and driving them up the wall (and into Canon's arms). Heck, even Ken Rockwell now reviews Canon. Thom has raved and ranted for years. I myself hated the fact that the entry-level new bodies wouldn't AF with their older lenses - I mean wasn't backward compatibility the rationale for not abandoning the F-mount all these years?

In the end, I have continued to stick with Nikon for one reason. I know the system inside and out - that's knowledge built up over years. So as long as they are still around, I have no inclination, time or energy to start afresh with another system.
Old 16th February 2013, 22:53   #11385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
deserting Nikon in droves because of the ancient autofocus system, which just couldn't compete with Canon's EOS mount. Now it's the various issues you've mentioned.

This is a company notorious for not listening to its customers and driving them up the wall (and into Canon's arms). Heck, even Ken Rockwell now reviews Canon. Thom has raved and ranted for years. I myself hated the fact that the entry-level new bodies wouldn't AF with their older lenses - I mean wasn't backward compatibility the rationale for not abandoning the F-mount all these years? .
Sigh..it's the same here. I've been using Nikon since 1996 (17 years now) and I cant think of getting or learning another system. The F601 that I have belongs to the early-mid 90s with the same slug like AF that put people off Nikon. The situation improved exponentially by the late 90s in the F90, F100 and the star of that decade the F5. It is these 3 cameras' AF performance that actually saved Nikon from the dustbin of AF history.

The thing is, with digital cameras have entered into a very different realm. Previously one kept a film camera, that cost a fraction of todays digital bodies, for several years. Product lifecycles are short and technologies progress at an enormous pace. When you pay big bucks as you would for a digital body expectations are set high and sometimes even unrealistic.

Of course there are owners who are frustrated with Canon as well. I get the feeling that these 2 companies may be competitors but they march in lock step with each other - each introducing similar products with just the right amount of differentiation to make them relatively unique. They are a duopoly.

Thom Hogan is one of the most experienced Nikon professionals (IIRC he started off in the early 1980s...when I was still in school ) and it would do good if Nikon heeded his advice. People criticise him because he gets on Nikon's case. Yes he does get on their case but it's only with good intentions and for the benefit of Nikon. They can disregard his views but that may be detrimental to them in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
In the end, I have continued to stick with Nikon for one reason. I know the system inside and out - that's knowledge built up over years. So as long as they are still around, I have no inclination, time or energy to start afresh with another system.
Ditto for me.

Case in point is the Olympus OM-D mirrorless that I purchased recently. The menus & handling are so different. I refer to the owners manual ever so frequently.

I feel like I have gone from driving a RH drive SUV at home to a cute little LH drive Nissan Micra in a foreign land. Will take some time to get used to it. But the Nikon is always my primary system.

Most Viewed