Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2013, 22:31   #11266
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
you have already read articles on the net and probably checked several sample and real life photos with various combinations of lenses, what additional "owner experience" inputs are you looking for here? And why? Need the background please.

I am not specific about what I am looking for and at the same time specific about who it comes from, for a reason.

I may not consider a feature important but to someone it might bea deal breaker.

Likewise, I would value the views of pros more, like anyone would.

And Owner reviews is what matters, one reason why Tbhp is where it is today.

I do have a D800.
Old 17th January 2013, 22:35   #11267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
I am not specific about what I am looking for and at the same time specific about who it comes from, for a reason.

I may not consider a feature important but to someone it might bea deal breaker.

Likewise, I would value the views of pros more, like anyone would.

And Owner reviews is what matters, one reason why Tbhp is where it is today.

I do have a D800.
While we've been continuing the conversation over PM and I've sent you some of my thoughts. BTW I am not a pro. As far as I am aware only 1 person here is a pro, who uses a D800 and he's in the US. Rest of us are amateurs. And yes, I use this camera mainly for landscapes.
Old 17th January 2013, 22:40   #11268
BHPian

^ Ty. Just the kind of views I was expecting. More insignificant details would be great!
Old 18th January 2013, 00:34   #11269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BTW, what lens did you use for this one? 25mm/1.4 and then crop the file?
No crop, this is a full image, using 12-50mm kit lens.

The DSLR Thread-picasa-3-1182013-122554-am.bmp.jpg
Old 18th January 2013, 01:17   #11270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
@Joslicx register your Sony A57 in Sony India and mail their CC a scanned copy of your bill and warranty,they will send you a Free 50F1.8 lens .
If you have already registered ,mention the registration code that you got while registering and attach the scanned copy of bill and warranty card to them.You will get the lens in 7 to 10 days.
Hey my friend recently purchased the A57 online and we have been trying to avail this offer. But cannot proceed with the registration since the form asks for local dealers and has no provision for online retailers. Ive written to Sony India about this. Till then is there any workaround for registering online purchases from Sony?

Thanks.
Old 18th January 2013, 01:42   #11271
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,

I am planning to purchase my 1st dslr. I have been reading quite a bit and getting confused minute by minute. Finally i have zeroed in on Canon 60D. I am getting "Canon EOS 60D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens" for US$999. Approx ₹56k. I still havent checked local store prices, but on FK 60d with 18-55 lens is for around 56k.

I also checked out / considered the below listed models :
1. Nikon D90
2. Canon T4i
3. Nikon d3200
4. Nikon d5100.

But after speaking to a few friends and reading on a few forums i liked 60D as a complete package. Any 60D users in the house? Hows the camera over all? For extra $100 i am getting 18-200 lens but i guess i am better off with 18-135 to start with and then invest in appropriate lens in future.

Currently i am using FujiFilm HS10. Been.using that for almost 3 years now. And i feel its time to upgrade.

Regards,
Old 18th January 2013, 11:29   #11272
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Hey my friend recently purchased the A57 online and we have been trying to avail this offer. But cannot proceed with the registration since the form asks for local dealers and has no provision for online retailers. Ive written to Sony India about this. Till then is there any workaround for registering online purchases from Sony?

Thanks.
I too purchased from online store infact ebay.in but i registered using the name given in the Invoice Bill ,even though the online ebay Store name is different.
Your friend needs to manually enter the name and address of the dealer.
Make sure you register using the dealer shop name give in the invoice bill.If there is a VAT/TIN number in the bill go to your respective state government website(google vat or TIN+your state) and in the respective website enter the VAT/TIN no ,it will show the Name of the Shop and possibly even the address and see if it matches.

After you register,you will get a registration code emailed to you.

You will then have to mail Sony india Customer care the scanned copy of your bill and warranty card ,along with the registration code.

PM me if you want any info.

Last edited by aim120 : 18th January 2013 at 11:41.
Old 18th January 2013, 11:59   #11273
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I am planning to purchase my 1st dslr. I have been reading quite a bit and getting confused minute by minute. Finally i have zeroed in on Canon 60D. I am getting "Canon EOS 60D 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD and 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD Standard Zoom Lens" for US$999. Approx ₹56k.

For extra $100 i am getting 18-200 lens but i guess i am better off with 18-135 to start with and then invest in appropriate lens in future.
I have a 60D. It's been some time now (I cant remember when I got it but I upgraded to it from the 40D).

I would recomend the 18-200 lens. It is a good lens. When you finally get better lenses the 18-200 can still be part of your collection for the occasions when you just want to carry one lens. I do not have this lens but got to use it AFTER I had got the Tamron 18-270. The Canon lens focusses faster (than the Tamron) and that means you get better opportnties.

Why did you choose the 60D over the Nikons?

For me (when I got the 40D) it was the fact that the 17-55/2.8 had IS (The Nikon version of this lens does not have VR). With IS I can push shutter to 1/30 and still get well focussed shots (for stationary objects even 1/15 is doable more so with a tripod).

Last edited by navin : 18th January 2013 at 12:05.
Old 18th January 2013, 12:12   #11274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I have a 60D. It's been some time now (I cant remember when I got it but I upgraded to it from the 40D).

I would recomend the 18-200 lens. It is a good lens. When you finally get better lenses the 18-200 can still be part of your collection for the occasions when you just want to carry one lens. I do not have this lens but got to use it AFTER I had got the Tamron 18-270. The Canon lens focusses faster (than the Tamron) and that means you get better opportnties.

Why did you choose the 60D over the Nikons?

For me (when I got the 40D) it was the fact that the 17-55/2.8 had IS (The Nikon version of this lens does not have VR). With IS I can push shutter to 1/30 and still get well focussed shots (for stationary objects even 1/15 is doable more so with a tripod).
Hi Navin,

thanks for your response. Actually i forgot to add some info about Nikon D90. The other camera in consideration is Nikon D90 with 18-105 lens. I got a quote from a local dealer for 52k with 2 yrs nikon india warranty. So now i am leaning a little towards D90 as the price is decent & 2 of my cousins have D90 and one of them has a set of 5 different lens which i can always borrow.

And about the other Nikons / Canon such as D3200 / D5100 / 550d / 650d; no offence to any owners, but i personally didnt like them hold and feel of the same. I found my existing Fuji HS10 to be better built.

So now $999 for Canon 60d [NO WARRANTY] or ₹52k for D90 [2 Yrs Nikon India Warranty] ? I guess i will take some more time and run a side by side comparison at a camera store or Croma and get some more hands on experience and take a final call.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 18th January 2013 at 12:15.
Old 18th January 2013, 13:09   #11275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nikon D90 with 18-105 lens.

So now $999 for Canon 60d [NO WARRANTY] or ₹52k for D90 [2 Yrs Nikon India Warranty] ? I guess i will take some more time and run a side by side comparison at a camera store or Croma and get some more hands on experience and take a final call.
If I was getting the Nikon I would consider the 18-300 VR lens. It may not be the most sharp lens but when you need a single lens solution it cant be beat.

The 18-105 is also a good lens and can mate well with the 80-400 VR however they are both around f/4-5.6. You can supplement these zooms ith some nice primes for when you are shooting in low light.

Both Nikon and Canon have some excellent glass. The Canon 50/1.4 for example or the Nikon 35/1.8 are beautiful. Both have lovely 70-200/2.8 zooms too. The Canon 70-200/4 is a VFm zoom for those who can live with one stop less.

However Nikon glass tends to get very expensive a bit faster than Canon for example the Nikon 28/1.4 sells for 5x the cost of the Canon 28/1.8 (ok you gain a bit but 5x??).

Ok so why am i talking about glass? Because in my book the application determines the glass, and the glass determines the camera. Both Nikon or Canon (or even Sony, Pentax, Olympus or Minolta) are great cameras. We humans are the real limitation.

So first see what you need the camera for. Then which system has the glass you need to cover your application. Then decide on the body.

Last edited by navin : 18th January 2013 at 13:19.
Old 18th January 2013, 17:00   #11276
Senior - BHPian

harshal

If you are not too fixated about buying a DSLR only why dont you look at comparable mirrorless cameras as well. D90 is an ancient camera and really for $1000 in todays market you can get much better products. I would seriously recommend the NEX-6 for that price which is a brand new camera with lots of exciting technologies, better 16MP sensor than then D90 or Canon 60D (it is same as the one in D7000), it is far more compact while there is no compromise with image quality.

Unless you have very specific requirements for which you'd consider a DSLR only, do give a thought about the Nex-6 (or even the OM-D if you like Oly but it is bit more expensive).
Old 20th January 2013, 15:30   #11277
Senior - BHPian

I just realized that there is no flash exposure compensation for the built in flash on the canon 1000D. I was trying to use this to trigger a slave flash. Any creative ideas to reduce the flash exposure of the inbuilt flash?
Old 20th January 2013, 18:51   #11278
BHPian

Quote:
Hello guys,

Why don't you consider the Nikon D5200 ? It was recently launched and still not available in many stores. But Nikon India website says it costs around 47k. This is with 18-55mm kit lens. You can always buy separate lens later on.
Both Nikon and Canon make good cameras so choose one which has good after sales service in your area.

http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/product...=&currentLink=

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 20th January 2013 at 18:56.
Old 20th January 2013, 19:16   #11279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to purchase my 1st dslr. I have been reading quite a bit and getting confused minute by minute.
Let me add to the confusion by steering you in a new but what I believe is the right direction. Please don't be fixated on DSLRs. See my comments to joslicx's post below

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
If you are not too fixated about buying a DSLR only why dont you look at comparable mirrorless cameras as well. D90 is an ancient camera.. Unless you have very specific requirements for which you'd consider a DSLR do give a thought about the Nex-6 (or even the OM-D.
+1 Avoid the D90 at this time. This product is at the end of its lifecycle and production has stopped. Stocks will be old.

For anybody starting out from scratch an EVIL camera or SLT is a must consider. There are obviously pros and cons to each decision. But I believe MLCs give crop sensor SLRs a run for their money in IQ and DR.

The only drawback is you obviously close your body/lens upgrade path totally from Nikon/Canon's superb full frame lens collections and accessories, unless you can afford to maintain 2 systems. That said, there are some beautiful lenses from Zeiss for Sony SLT/Alpha series and Olympus, Panasonic/Leica M4/3rds formats. And they can get really expensive.
Old 20th January 2013, 21:11   #11280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

+1 Avoid the D90 at this time. This product is at the end of its lifecycle and production has stopped. Stocks will be old.

For anybody starting out from scratch an EVIL camera or SLT is a must consider. There are obviously pros and cons to each decision. But I believe MLCs give crop sensor SLRs a run for their money in IQ and DR.

The only drawback is you obviously close your body/lens upgrade path totally from Nikon/Canon's superb full frame lens collections and accessories, unless you can afford to maintain 2 systems. That said, there are some beautiful lenses from Zeiss for Sony SLT/Alpha series and Olympus, Panasonic/Leica M4/3rds formats. And they can get really expensive.
Very true. And actually you can use Canikon lenses as well on these MLCs with adaptors. A DX SLR makes sense for someone who already has lenses in his arsenal but for someone starting off, there is no obvious advantage.

A camera like Nex-6 is therefore very attractive aginst the D90s or 60Ds or even D5200. It has an amazing sensor, a good kit lens that is very compact and is bit wider than your usual kit lenses as well, host of great and useful techs like wifi, apps, EVF from Nex-7 that is certainly better than the the viewfinders on those SLRs, fast hybrid AF, 10fps etc. The only thing missing is a touchscreen!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks