Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2012, 22:13   #10966
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
At the end of those two days of workshop, I learnt only one thing. You might know everything about a camera, but then if your photographs do not communicate, what's the point?

And well, that was the point my instructor stressed upon. The story. It's always about the story. Again, one learns what they want to, so may be I was looking for something more than the regular technical stuff. May be, I chose to ignore the parts where he talks about exposure and stuff. I don't remember, but what I remember was the story part. So, choose a good instructor and it will definitely help you improve your photographs.
There's a B&H seminar video on Youtube (couldn't find that link now) that contains this very example and description. I agree it is an eye opener.

Now, that's an example of a workshop widening your perspective in a SPECIFIC way (composition, story-telling and plainly about the art of photography, which was one of the items I mentioned in my previous post).

There are different kinds of people among us - some focused on gadgets, some others interested primarily in the technology and science behind it all, and perhaps a lesser number of people who are consumed purely by the art itself (meaning, all else other than the final product relegated to secondary status). That's why I was saying that the kind of workshop/education we need really depends on our specific areas of interest since the subject is too vast to be 'generally' covered by any course.

If I had questions on camera equivalence between various formats, I will have to search specifically for a workshop oriented towards these concepts. Even a fairly common question such as why the mirror has to flip down again before the actual shot is taken in Live View mode may not be satisfactorily addressed by most instructors unless they too were once curious about such issues - and like I said before, not everyone's interested in every aspect of photography.
Old 13th November 2012, 22:26   #10967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
If I had questions on camera equivalence between various formats, I will have to search specifically for a workshop oriented towards these concepts. Even a fairly common question such as why the mirror has to flip down again before the actual shot is taken in Live View mode may not be satisfactorily addressed by most instructors unless they too were once curious about such issues - and like I said before, not everyone's interested in every aspect of photography.
I agree about the part that one course can't cover it all, but my point was that we need to choose a course that'll inspire you to make better photographs. Most instructors out there actually do know a lot about their cameras as well and will be able to answer you. But, that information can be got even from the internet.

And, yes, not everyone's interested in every aspect of photography. But, I feel (a personal opinion) that a lot of people spend countless hours on the internet just trying to decide which system/camera to buy and not have buyer's remorse of any kind later on. Just buy something and start shooting. But, it mostly just ends at buying. For example (and I don't mean any offence), so many here have bought amazing cameras over the past year but how many of them actually participate in the non-auto image thread? I guess, not many. And, that can be overcome by a good workshop. A bit of inspiration and understanding of composition can make photography very enjoyable. Even shooting with a local group can help many a times. You make new friends and learn from them as well.
Old 13th November 2012, 22:47   #10968
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely loved this one

Last edited by clevermax : 13th November 2012 at 22:49.
Old 16th November 2012, 11:16   #10969
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any pointers on the manual/ETTL flash for my Canon 1100D, apart from Canon? As I am a beginner into the world of flash, I dont want to invest too much, since my primary liking is still landscapes. My wifey is kind of into portraits, so wanted to give it a shot.
Old 16th November 2012, 13:43   #10970

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys,

Any pointers on the manual/ETTL flash for my Canon 1100D, apart from Canon? As I am a beginner into the world of flash, I dont want to invest too much, since my primary liking is still landscapes. My wifey is kind of into portraits, so wanted to give it a shot.
It all depends on the budget and also if you want them on or off the camera.

a) Manual Flashes : Vivitar 285 HV, Yongnuo YN565
b) ETTL : Canon 430 EX II (Slave) or Canon 580 EX II (Master), Sigma EF-530 DG Super

If you want them as Off camera you need to buy Cactus V2s Triggers.
Old 16th November 2012, 17:17   #10971
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4CAR View Post
It all depends on the budget and also if you want them on or off the camera.

a) Manual Flashes : Vivitar 285 HV, Yongnuo YN565
b) ETTL : Canon 430 EX II (Slave) or Canon 580 EX II (Master), Sigma EF-530 DG Super

If you want them as Off camera you need to buy Cactus V2s Triggers.
I would say 5-6K max. I would be getting the flash from US as Indian prices are insane.
Old 16th November 2012, 17:44   #10972
AWD
BHPian

How is Nikon D3100? Know its an entry level DSLR but can it do good Photography with additional Lenses(apart from 18-55mm Kit lens).
Old 16th November 2012, 17:49   #10973
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
How is Nikon D3100? Know its an entry level DSLR but can it do good Photography with additional Lenses(apart from 18-55mm Kit lens).
Its a good camera and as you said its an entry level camera from Nikon. With additional lens and a little bit of skill and patience it can certainly get you good pictures

However, technically its sensor is not as advanced as the D5100 ( which is identical to the even higher priced model D7000). If you can stretch your budget, then go for this model instead
Old 16th November 2012, 18:42   #10974
AWD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
technically its sensor is not as advanced as the D5100
Actually Im a beginer at Photography & using a DSLR is not easy specially while using the Manual modes. Adjusting those Apertures, ISO, Shutter speed, etc. needs some getting used to.

My main choice was between Nikon D3100 & D5100, I can stretch for D5100. Btw how about a choice between D5100 & the newly launched D3200 ?
Old 17th November 2012, 09:00   #10975
Senior - BHPian

Bad experience with Zoomin.com

I've had a bad experience with online purchase from Zoomin.com recently, i've had bought a camera from them in the past through ebay, which was good, but this time the purchase was made from their website directly.

On Nov 7th i placed and order for a CPL filter, a Vanguard Lens Cleaning Kit (worth Rs830) and a scratchguard for the camera LCD. They were slow to ship and after following up with them regarding this on Nov 15th i received a package from them. The package had all the items except that they didn't send the Vanguard Lens Cleaning Kit they sent me a cheap nisi lenspen pro with the MRP of Rs450/-

The DSLR Thread-zoomin.jpg

The DSLR Thread-photo.jpg

I raised a ticket on the same day, it went un-answered. So called them up yesterday but got the message that their executives are busy so i opted for the call back option but they didn't call back. So i called them in the evening with the same result as above. In between i created another ticket for this issue and that too is un-answered till now.

What pisses me off more is not the wrong item sent - it could be a honest mistake, but their pathetic customer service.

I was thinking of getting some prints from them but after this bad customer service experience i don't think i'm going to.
Old 17th November 2012, 10:37   #10976
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Actually Im a beginer at Photography & using a DSLR is not easy specially while using the Manual modes. Adjusting those Apertures, ISO, Shutter speed, etc. needs some getting used to.

My main choice was between Nikon D3100 & D5100, I can stretch for D5100. Btw how about a choice between D5100 & the newly launched D3200 ?
If you are beginner and want to learn about exposure and the settings (ISO, aperture, speed etc) then a great quick jump start is easyexposure video tutorials available on youtube. Helped me big time and I would recommend you that. It will take less than an hour to learn all of those in an easy way. Search for easyexposure tutorials 1,2,3 & 4 on youtube.

Just a suggestion to get you get started.
Old 19th November 2012, 09:33   #10977

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I would say 5-6K max. I would be getting the flash from US as Indian prices are insane.
Vivitar 285 HV or Yongnuo YN565 fits your budget, Yes Indian Prices are high almost at 40%-50% . If its US check out for Christmas Deals, Right time.

JC
Old 19th November 2012, 10:56   #10978
Senior - BHPian

Have a look at the yongnuo 468 as well. Both ttl and manual, zoom head and optical slave capabilities.
Old 20th November 2012, 13:53   #10979
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
I haven't been to photography classes, so I can only really speculate. I am apprehensive about the 'technical' competence of most instructors since I guess the focus would normally be on teaching how to use the camera in different circumstances. Also, since photography as a subject is multi-disciplinary, it wouldn't be easy to find someone who knows a good deal about all aspects of it (sensor technology and the implications of various formats, optics/lens design, camera-mechanics and the actual art itself), so how useful a class will be for you perhaps completely depends on which specific area you are interested in.

Though I don't have any information about classes to offer, I'd suggest it might be useful (to all of us) to post a few questions directly on this thread.
Well I happen to be a beginner in serious digital photography. So far I only had a P&S and never really bothered about any concepts - taking photo was plain just point and shoot!

Now that I have started learning a bit, I find myself having questions. Also while shooting pics I am a bit more conscious about the image quality (though am far far away from achieving anything good). So just wondered if some of those questions could be answered in a proper photography class. I am not interested in classes about gear or the basics (like what is ISO etc - that I know now). But answers to tricky questions like:
1. Recently tried taking some pics during Children's day festivities in our society. Now it was quite sunny day and we were in the backyard so part of the scene was in shade because of the buildings and part was highly lit because of the sun. I tried shooting (the sunlit part was in background). None of the pics were properly exposed! Now the question is how to properly expose in such scenarios!
2. The first query gives rise to more generic one- what all are the trickly scenarios exposure wise. What are the considerations in those cases
3. Am hugely interested in black and white photography. Want some formal lessons in that.
4. Post processing related queries. What all to keep in mind. What is for example alpha/gamma or S curves and how to use those properly? How to know how much post processing to do. Somehow post post-processing my pics felt un-natural (that was my wife's comment).
5. How to use histograms to correct image. Have read about it and seen some videos but a proper live demo on one of my pic might help understand more.

Well I can probably think more such questions but its all very muddled up in the brain at the moment. Maybe some kind of organization of the thoughts is needed?

Last edited by joslicx : 20th November 2012 at 13:54.
Old 20th November 2012, 14:54   #10980
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well I can probably think more such questions but its all very muddled up in the brain at the moment. Maybe some kind of organization of the thoughts is needed?
Even I find such half shawdowed areas hard to photograph as the light source is pretty confusing. I guess the closest that can be adjusted within the camera is the WB and rest can be done by magic of Photoshop

Btw, here is a lovely basics tutorial with some excellent examples to understand photographics basics and more :-

http://www.appshyderabad.org/tutorials.php

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks