Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 16:35   #10906
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Nikon India site already showing D5200. However, it does not indicate any price.
@Behemoth: Could you please share the source of the price info?

Attachment 1011343
From the official source : Press release of announcement in the link below:
http://www.nikon.co.in/en_IN/announc..._product.page?
(Click the D5200 announcement and scroll down to the price and availability section)

And some other credible sources (probably quoting from the press release)
http://businesstoday.intoday.in/stor.../1/189669.html

http://www.thinkdigit.com/Digital-Ca...S-C_11271.html

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 6th November 2012 at 16:36.
Old 6th November 2012, 18:51   #10907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Thanks Jaguar.

Got the Sanyo Enelopp 4 batteries + Charger for 1100/-. This store is one of the best in Pune for cameras as the owner is extremely knowledgeable person himself. When I asked him which are the best batteries, he says "I only stock Sanyo Eneloop".
Ajay - I am looking for a genuine shop to buy Sanyo Eneloop batteries in Pune. Can you please tell the name of the shop you purchased them from?

Many thanks.
Rishikesh
Old 6th November 2012, 19:30   #10908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishikeshK View Post
Ajay - I am looking for a genuine shop to buy Sanyo Eneloop batteries in Pune. Can you please tell the name of the shop you purchased them from?

Many thanks.
Rishikesh
@Rishikesh

The shop is called Camshot. The shop is located above the Bikaner sweets shop on Baner road just ahead of the Food Bazar. You can get the contact details of CAMSHOT on their website.
Old 7th November 2012, 10:51   #10909
BHPian

according to fellow clickers and pro-photographers,whats the top 5 must have dSLR accessories!
Old 7th November 2012, 11:00   #10910
BHPian

Thank you so much Ajay. With so many options on the Internet with widely varying prices, it is really difficult to find the genuine ones. Hence the necessity to know a good genuine shop.

Thanks again.
Old 7th November 2012, 11:04   #10911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariendj View Post
according to fellow clickers and pro-photographers,whats the top 5 must have dSLR accessories!
For me top 5 would be -

1. An ultra-wide angle fast (F/2.8) lens.
2. A fast (F/2.8), walk-around lens
3. A fast tele-photo
4. A sturdy tripod and good head.
5. A good, water-proof, well-padded bag.
Old 7th November 2012, 15:04   #10912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
For me top 5 would be -

1. An ultra-wide angle fast (F/2.8) lens.
2. A fast (F/2.8), walk-around lens
3. A fast tele-photo
4. A sturdy tripod and good head.
5. A good, water-proof, well-padded bag.
While I'd have agreed with ntomer on most of his recommendations some years back - a few things have changed my mind: weight, good do-it-all lenses and VR/IS.

I agree with a need for an ultra wide zoom (at least 18mm on full frame and 12mm on APS-C). I don't think the lens needs to be fast as most applications of such a lens require deep depth of field.

I agree on the need for a good bag. I trust and use Lowepro.

A good do-it-all lens such as the Nikon 18-200 VR for DX. Saves weight and is immensely useful as a walk-around lens. VR, to some extent, negates the need for speed. Such a lens saves a lot of weight compared with a heavy constant aperture zoom.

I'd add a fast normal prime (f1.8 or f1.4, 35mm on APS-C, 50mm on full frame) for control over depth and for low-light uses. A 50mm on cropped-sensor camera works as a mild tele.

I'd avoid the fast telephoto, because they weigh a ton, cost a fortune and for hobbyist shooting, get used very little. By all means, buy one if your shooting demands it. I'd also avoid the tripod, VR helps make a lot of shots hand holdable. Again buy one if you feel the need for it.

Last, buy a flash with a rotatable and tiltable head. Will make a huge difference to flash shots and your pictures will look a lot better than those that use the built-in flash.

Last edited by StarScream : 7th November 2012 at 15:24.
Old 7th November 2012, 15:24   #10913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
While I'd have agreed with ntomer on most of his recommendations some years back - a few things have changed my mind: weight, good do-it-all lenses and VR/IS.

I agree with a need for an ultra wide zoom (at least 18mm on full frame and 12mm on APS-C). I don't think the lens needs to be fast as most applications of such a lens require deep depth of field.

I'd agree on the need for a good bag. I trust and use Lowepro.

A good do-it-all lens such as the Nikon 18-200 VR for DX. Saves weight and is immensely useful as a walk-around lens. VR, to some extent, negates the need for speed. Such a lens saves a lot of weight compared with a heavy constant aperture zoom.

I'd add a fast normal prime (f1.8 or f1.4, 35mm on APS-C, 50mm on full frame) for control over depth and for low-light uses. A 50mm on cropped-sensor camera works as a mild tele.

I'd avoid the fast telephoto, because they weigh a ton, cost a fortune and for hobbyist shooting, get used very little. By all means, buy one if your shooting demands it. I'd also avoid the tripod, VR helps make a lot of shots hand holdable. Again buy one if you feel the need for it.

Last buy a flash with a rotatable and tiltable head. Will make a huge difference to flash shots and your pictures will look a lot better than those that use the built-in flash.
I am somehow not a fan of do-it-all lenses. Though they look very convenient specs-wise, end results aren't that great.

IMO, a wider aperture is always welcome, whether in UWA or in normal walk-around. By tele I meant something like a 70-200 or 80-200 (for Nikonians, it's a great lens and much cheaper than 70-200).

I'd never compromise on a tripod. One can never get the max from a camera/lens unless it is proper stabilized. I'd go with a sturdy one. People go through many cameras but tripods last long.

I'd have included the prime, but it was sixth on my list

Nitin
Old 7th November 2012, 15:28   #10914
Distinguished - BHPian

For a noob to photography, my wish list is :-

Top 5 -

1. 18-105/18-200 (VR only)---Process of acquiring 18-105mm VR
2. 35mm 1.8 G (Acquired)
3. 70-300mm Telephoto (Acquired)
4. 12-24mm Wide Angle (To be acquired in a year)
5. A decent tripod (Acquired)
Old 7th November 2012, 17:12   #10915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
I am somehow not a fan of do-it-all lenses. Though they look very convenient specs-wise, end results aren't that great.

IMO, a wider aperture is always welcome, whether in UWA or in normal walk-around. By tele I meant something like a 70-200 or 80-200 (for Nikonians, it's a great lens and much cheaper than 70-200).

I'd never compromise on a tripod. One can never get the max from a camera/lens unless it is proper stabilized. I'd go with a sturdy one. People go through many cameras but tripods last long.

I'd have included the prime, but it was sixth on my list

Nitin
Nitin, that list was from someone who owns a Nikon 80-200/2.8 and honestly, after I got the 18-200 VR it is my least used lens. Yes, you are right that do-it-all lenses have severe compromises but they can't be beaten for ease of use and lightness of weight. They are great for walk around and great for travel.

Now, there in no competition in image quality and sharpness wide open at 200mm between the 80-200 and 18-200 but as long as you understand the limitations of the glass and work around it, you should be fine.

As far as fast glass is concerned, I have a lot of f2.8 glass but I find control over DOF to be poor at f2.8 on DX, hence unless you go ulra-fast (f1.4 and that is found only on primes) I don't see the point in spending on constant aperture zooms, especially if they are wide angles. Maybe I will start to like f2.8 again when I go full frame.

On the tripod, each to his own. I enjoy traveling light and with as little equipment as possible, and a tripod just doesn't fit. For studio, still life, night use and macro, yes, but its really a question of how often you shoot like that. VR is one part but variable ISO is another benefit that, in my mind, negates a tripod.
Old 7th November 2012, 19:48   #10916
Team-BHP Support

Not sure if this was shared before. Cannon announced 24-70 F4 IS L and
35mm F2 prime.

http://asia.cnet.com/canon-24-70mm-f...d-62219384.htm
Old 7th November 2012, 22:31   #10917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not a pro , my list of top 5 accessories is

(1) A set of three must have filters that is CPL filter , ND4 and ND8 filters.
May be fitting largest lens filter size and step-down rings for your other lenses.
Counting this triad as one.

(2) Tripod with ball-head with 3X stated weight capacity of your largest lens + body combo weight if you are
in to telephoto.
A gorilla-pod of for wide angle lens and cityscape because tripod can't be carried around everywhere and in some cases look odd.

(3) Flash :

A good flash to begin with then as and when budget permits and skills grow
a set of flash
Initially one can have a single flash + Flash bracket + off camera cord + diffuser. Later the setup can grow to strobing / studio kind of lighting as per usage.

(4) A good sleek messenger bag for walkaroud in city ( example crumpler 6mdh). Another backpack with laptop compartment if you travel a lot and like to take DSLR along.

(5) Remote release / Wireless remote or both.

Last edited by amitk26 : 7th November 2012 at 22:34.
Old 8th November 2012, 18:21   #10918
BHPian

Hi All,
Nikon D5100 with Standard 18-55 kit lens at 30K (after some negotiation).
I do not have any idea about the pricing of this model.
Is it wise to buy this now when considering the new model D5200 is announced (not sure whether we can expect any price cut in future).
However I will not go for 5200 as I am pretty happy with D5100. Only confusion is in price.
Please help.
Old 8th November 2012, 20:33   #10919
BHPian

Quote:
Great question. I'm stating the obvious here - the choice of lens depends on the persons taste of subjects. If one is into macro then a UWA might not figure in their list.

Leaving the choice of lens alone, other accessories as highlighted by others are very much desirable like flashes, tripods, a neat bag to pack all your stuff etc.

But I'm surprised why no one listed good Post Processing software as a must have. IMHO, there is so much capability in developing an image from RAW. Agreed, it is time consuming and pain staking but life becomes easier once you get familiar with the workflow. The options to transform images are virtually limitless.

My must have software is Photoshop Elements, Photomatix and Topaz Detail. Of course, open source options like GIMP with FX Foundry and Luminance are available too.
Old 8th November 2012, 21:04   #10920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by novice29 View Post
Hi All,
Nikon D5100 with Standard 18-55 kit lens at 30K (after some negotiation).
I do not have any idea about the pricing of this model.
Is it wise to buy this now when considering the new model D5200 is announced (not sure whether we can expect any price cut in future).
However I will not go for 5200 as I am pretty happy with D5100. Only confusion is in price.
Please help.
D5200 is not really bringing anything new. Not exciting to me at least.
Better go for D5100 which are going very cheap now a days(Thanks to D5200).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks