Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2012, 08:57   #10801
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO an amateur, considering a crop format DSLR should also seriously consider a micro 4/3rd Evil camera from Olympus, Fuji and Panasonic. Especially so if you don't foresee a need for Canikon range of lenses or accessories.

I think joslicx took the right decision by purchasing the Olympus OM-D instead of a Nikon D7000.
Old 25th October 2012, 15:15   #10802
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran.Syed View Post
I am not going to work on any particular kind of photography. will focus on every area. plus the 600D is over my budget by 6-7k.
If you are serious about photography then you should spend some time to think what kind of photography you will do , Tools should be chosen as per needs.

Somethings which will give clues about your photographic needs in future.

Are you travel buff and do not consider the inconvinence of rough road to see that beautiful scenery ?

Are you a kind of person who goes regularly to wild life resort and very much interested in large animal ?

Do you go for early morning walks and do bird watching.

Are you interested in meeting unknown people on street "Aam aadmi" on steet and engage them in chat disregarding social status.

Think what you are and it will tell you what you will shoot.

If you are looking just to shoot occasional family pictures , birthday snaps then I think any good Camera is good enough and DSLR may be inconvinence.

Quote:
I read about lenses almost an hour daily. I think the nikon 18-55mm kit lens will be enough for the beginning process right?
And I personally think that it video shoots better too. My personal opinion though.
Yes 18-15 IS ( Canon ) or 18-55 VR ( Nikon ) are good kit lenses but if you are serious for video first have a look at magic lantern 2.3 and check what it can do to DSLR and if it is Video then Canon is the way.
Focus peek , Focus stacking , HDR , Zebra offered by ML2.3 do wonders to still photography as well.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
There's no doubt that Canikon are milking customers into paying more. .
Quote:
Olympus OM-D instead of a Nikon D7000.
No doubt after recent hikes in India and all so called version II lenses Canon is pinching ( Nikon was already actually) but IMHO Olympus OM-D is seriously overpriced for what it offers , On other hand EP and EP-L series is quite comptetively priced.
Old 25th October 2012, 17:03   #10803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think joslicx took the right decision by purchasing the Olympus OM-D instead of a Nikon D7000.
well I deliberated on this for long time. Then it became apparent that Nikon are not really doing much in DX space. They want you to graduate to full frame as soon as possible. The profit margins for them are more there probably. Thom Hagen has beautifully written on this. After reading all that I was not sure of DX future really.

On the other hand, the likes of Olympus/Panasonic see the Mirrorless as their bread and butter space and its more likely they will continue offering some great stuff there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
No doubt after recent hikes in India and all so called version II lenses Canon is pinching ( Nikon was already actually) but IMHO Olympus OM-D is seriously overpriced for what it offers , On other hand EP and EP-L series is quite comptetively priced.
I agree and wouldnt have mind if my OM-D cost me a bit less
Then I come across pictures like this one of the moon taken by professional photographer of the caliber of Jay Ouellet and all/any doubts regarding the OM-D are laid to rest. Check this out:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

This is photo taken at ISO 2000 using the OM-D. A pro photographer using the OM-D for some serious work is a huge vote of confidence in this system.
Old 25th October 2012, 20:55   #10804
BHPian

Quote:
If you are serious about photography then you should spend some time to think what kind of photography you will do , Tools should be chosen as per needs.
============
Focus peek , Focus stacking , HDR , Zebra offered by ML2.3 do wonders to still photography as well.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/
Let me be clear. Well, I have a dream, to become a good cinematographer someday, and for that I need to train my eyes via the lens. You see the point here is, I go for a morning walk, do bird-watching AND see the sun come up too (scenery). I also don't mind travelling. Have done that a couple of times, just for the sake of some good shots.
On the same hand, I like to capture people smiling, or interacting with each other and then sometimes macro too. Its all a mix, just to get one step ahead with my dream cinematography dream.

Why am I going the DSLR way? well because it will be cheaper and be much more VFM. If i buy a pricey camcorder, no doubt I get all those technical settings to control my video, but then I would'nt know what to shoot. Its very complex and difficult to explain in words, but I think you get it. the knowledge of photography is very helpful, and essesntial for cinematography.

I am not much of a photographer at party occasions, I let others do that job because I think good photography requires knowledge about your tools, and honestly at this moment, I dont have it.

I am going for nikon, because its an excellent camera for photography and video shooting as well. However, the focus motor thing is a setback, because its a pain to adjust the focus manually while video shooting. Anyways, I have decided to live with it, so no worries.

Slightly OT. You know wally pfister? the cinematographer of all nolan films?
Old 26th October 2012, 01:15   #10805
Senior - BHPian

Enjoy the Nikon and discover where it may take your photography the process of discovery is indeed more enjoyable

Quote:

Why am I going the DSLR way? well because it will be cheaper and be much more VFM. If i buy a pricey camcorder, no doubt I get all those technical settings to control my video,
Just to clarify to those who may not have clicked the link magic lantern is not a pricey camcorder but a free open source custom firmware for Canon DSLRs which provide those controls for video which were earlier possible on pricey video cams.

Quote:

Slightly OT. You know wally pfister? the cinematographer of all nolan films?
No I don't know him
Old 26th October 2012, 01:35   #10806
BHPian

Quote:
Enjoy the Nikon and discover where it may take your photography the process of discovery is indeed more enjoyable
Already in talks for a body only used 5100

Quote:
No I don't know him
LOL I didn't mean the personal way.
He is an inspiration. just saying.
Old 26th October 2012, 16:36   #10807
Distinguished - BHPian

Iam little worried and upset with the Zoomin fellas.

I paid for the Nikon D5100 on last friday and nobody picked it up till monday morning. On my call to their CS they said will arrange for the delivery of packing material on same day. I received the packing material in afternoon and got a call in evening if my camera which was on exchange ready for pick-up to which i said "yes"

The courier guy from Aramex picks up the camera promptly on Monday evening. No news till today morning when i receive a call from Aramex courier, Mumbai whether my camera is ready for pick up. I was like "what the heck" and told him it's already picked up by them on Monday, he hastily apologizes and hangs up and promises to return my call.

I call Zoomin CS this afternoon and recite the whole incident and they said will coordinate with Aramex and find out where is my camera and revert by today evening.

This exchange offer scheme of Zoomin is flawed and not seamlessly coordinated. God knows where is my camera and when the new one will be delivered.
Old 26th October 2012, 17:59   #10808
BHPian

Hi

In B&H website, They give an option to ship it to India for $87.
I'm getting a Canon T4i, with 18-135mm STM for around $1090 including shipping through DHL.
My Query is, will I be charged additional Taxes on delivery? Please let me know. Also will a US warranty accepted by Canon India?

Thanks in advance.
Old 26th October 2012, 21:12   #10809
BANNED

Quote:
The high cost is due to weather sealing. Unfortunately the consumer does not get any benefit after paying a premium because there are few weather sealed lenses in the m4/3 format available at a good price point. All the popular lenses are non weather sealed.

--R
Old 26th October 2012, 21:45   #10810
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek
Hi

In B&H website, They give an option to ship it to India for $87.
I'm getting a Canon T4i, with 18-135mm STM for around $1090 including shipping through DHL.
My Query is, will I be charged additional Taxes on delivery? Please let me know. Also will a US warranty accepted by Canon India?

Thanks in advance.

To keep this short and sweet, you WILL be charged Customs duties on cost PLUS Insurance PLUS courier charges at about 25-30%. And no, you will not get warranty coverage in India as DSLR warranties are country specific.

I would strongly recommend buying the kit locally.
Old 26th October 2012, 22:50   #10811
Senior - BHPian

Finally gifted myself a DSLR, D5100, bought it for 30600. Now its time to learn and get familiar the stuff.
Old 26th October 2012, 23:11   #10812
BHPian

Quote:
And no, you will not get warranty coverage in India as DSLR warranties are country specific.

I would strongly recommend buying the kit locally.
Thanks for the info R2D2.
A friend of mine will be returning from US next month end. So is it a good decision to buy a lens from there, while I buy 'Only Body' from Mumbai? Since DSLR warranty is country specific.
JJ Mehta is offering a good deal on 650 Body only. Waiting for some good Diwali offer to stamp the deal. Camera is fixed, going to be a Canon (600D/650D depending on deal).
Old 27th October 2012, 00:30   #10813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arunshek
A friend of mine will be returning from US next month end. So is it a good decision to buy a lens from there, while I buy 'Only Body' from Mumbai? Since DSLR warranty is country specific
Yes you can buy a lens, flash and such accessories abroad since they have international warranties. There's no risk in that except for the Customs duty just in case. Buy the body in Mumbai.
Old 27th October 2012, 14:18   #10814
BHPian

Picked up a sigma UCII 70-210 lens (used) fro my A500 thro EBay India at Rs.4000/- . The focusing is smooth but yet try out the lens fully.

Was looking for a minolta beer can which is available at around 150 USD on EBay US but decided on this one due to delivery issues
Old 27th October 2012, 22:57   #10815
BHPian

Congrats to all new DSLR owners and would-be owners !

I've been reading up on the photography sites and new products, and one particular site I read a lot recently is Thom Hogan's , especially the DX month articles. I must say his analysis of Nikon's strategy/thinking is right on - something I hadn't exactly figured out what was lacking until he wrote exactly - DX lenses line-up.

There are two lenses, that I am interested in - both wide-to-normal fast lenses. The Tokina 11-16 and Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 or equivalent.

I have been hoping for some good fast zoom lenses at affordable prices. There are some others 10-24 or 12-24 options but mostly f/4. There are Nikkor primes, but mostly FX and mostly older designs, not sure of their optical performance.

I would be very much open to FX lenses, which is what Nikon wants, and makes sense for Nikon users since it keeps an upgrade path open as opposed to buying only DX lenses which will not cover the FX frame. DX lenses aren't all that small or light either, so I am completely fine with using FX lenses on my DX DSLR , there's a little size and weight penalty but even with DX lenses you have quite some bulk and size to necessitate extra bags/room for photography gear , FX will only add a little more to it unless you're talking 400mm or longer exotics.

The trouble with the DX lenses is, missing fast lenses. Nikon has the 17-55 but it's twice as much as Sigma/Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 choices. Many of the primes are FX and expensive, or outdated (though I can't say how good or bad they are optically ). Even keeping my wish-list to 400mm tops, there's not many in-expensive lenses. Canon's EF-S line-up seems to suffer from similar deficiency and Canon's strategy too seems to be to force APS-C users to upgrade to full-frame , and the D600 and EOS-6D launches seem very much underscoring that line of though.

So besides a possible 11-16 and 17-50 purchase, I have little to look forward to in terms of lenses unless I get a dramatic rise in income to think of FX lenses (maybe bodies too). Much as I'd love longer focal lengths for birding/wildlife, the cost of those lenses which are mostly FX , is prohibitive , the closest i can think of is the 80-400 which isn't all that fast either. Anyway - leave long focals out for now, I haven't even looked up non-Nikon options as yet - need to fill my short to normal fast aperture slots first.

I'm not hurrying to make these purchases though, for financial reasons - so I'd like to ask Nikon users, who have used the lower focal length primes , 14-50mm range such as 20mm f/2D , 24mm , 28mm ( the 35mm f/1.8G is new and I expect good optically ) , how good are these, to consider in lieu of the 16/17-50mm zooms ? My main interest is fast aperture for low light shooting. My current gear is the D90 , 18-105mm kit, 55-300 ( may consider replacing with 70-300 FX for faster AF but I can live with it) and the 50mm f/1.8D. I have thought of getting the 35mm f/1.8G , but the flexibility of a zoom is desirable.

Just hoping - since lenses are expensive for fast apertures, sensor development goes on to such extents that we can click a black cat chasing a mouse in the night, without extra lighting via flash or such, at fast shutter speeds like 1/500 or 1/1000 and still not have ISO related noise more than 800-1600 levels in today's APS-C DSLRs. Wishful thinking ?

Last edited by Ricci : 27th October 2012 at 23:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks