Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2012, 15:24   #10486
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cheap DRY Box for Hobbyists

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have found a cheap solution to keep my lenses off that heavy humidity of Kerala weather. Just bought two airtight containers (yes, they are really airtight with rubberized washers on the edges and a latching mechanism to keep the lid really tight)

The idea is to simple keep your lenses (1 per container for long lenses or two per container for shorter lenses) with dry silica gel packs. Let the pictures explain more:

Attachment 983249

Attachment 983250

Attachment 983251

I still have to buy silica gel sacks but managed to close the lids in dry air - just took them to my car, ran the AC for some time, put the lenses in and closed them inside the car.

Total cost of the setup - 240x2 = 480Rs.

Good idea!

Even after putting silica gels and ensuring dry shooting conditions, my Sigma caught fungus is just 4 months of stay in Kerala. Thanks to the humid weather. Now need to get it cleaned, already tried the warm bulb technique but no sign of recovery.
Old 13th September 2012, 15:29   #10487
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Isint the D600 just a D7000 with a FX sensor!

Is the full frame sensor itself worth more than 1000 USD?!
Old 13th September 2012, 15:32   #10488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
In my opinion, it is not worth it, with the price announced. May be it will come down at a faster rate soon.
Old 13th September 2012, 15:33   #10489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi R2D2,

Where did you find the price on the Nikon India website, I was searching for it, but didn't find it. I checked with the Dealer in Gurgaon and he is not yet aware of the details, but he is expecting some stock on the 18th/19th, and I have pre-booked mine.
Anyone else taking the plunge for the D600?

Regards,
Behemoth
Here you go. Its up and running on the Nikon India website.

The DSLR Thread-fullscreen-capture-9132012-33108-pm.bmp.jpg
Old 13th September 2012, 16:00   #10490
BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion, it is not worth it, with the price announced. May be it will come down at a faster rate soon.
Even I believe its not worth it right now as far as I am concerned. My priorities are at present towards the telephoto side, so I am leaning towards the 1v1 for a decent budget combo for a longer reach.

Perhaps when the pricing comes south of 1L, I may consider an upgrade from my D90.
Old 13th September 2012, 17:26   #10491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have found a cheap solution to keep my lenses off that heavy humidity of Kerala weather. Just bought two airtight containers (yes, they are really airtight with rubberized washers on the edges and a latching mechanism to keep the lid really tight)
Neat idea thanks for sharing Sunil.

Quote:
Nikon doesn't drop its prices, especially on FX, and waits till the model is about to be superceded. You may get additional benefits from a dealer. Unfortunately Indian customers have to bear the cross of a depreciating currency which has nullified any benefits that would be available had the USD been at the same level it was in Sept 2011 i.e. around Rs 45/USD

The problem is that everyone expected a FX camera at less than Rs 1L or around USD 1500-1800. Obviously Nikon didnt oblige. That's why you see reactions like 'not worth it'. Frankly look at the D700 which was a 'starter FX body' it was Rs 1.4L when introduced in 2008/09 in India and the price dropped to Rs 1.3L after the D800 was introduced in 2012. It has since been discontinued though it is still shown on Nikon India's site.

Quote:

joslicx, that's not true. This isnt a D7K sensor in a D600 body but a completely new one even though resolution is the same @ 24MP.

A FX sensor is larger than a DX sensor. Besides the D7K is already a 2 year old model so sensor related improvements are to be expected. There is chatter that this is the same sensor as found in Sony's A99 full frame camera. Worth it or not is a criteria that only an individual can decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Here you go. Its up and running on the Nikon India website.
Thanks for putting that up Ajay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudhrysan View Post
Perhaps when the pricing comes south of 1L, I may consider an upgrade from my D90.
chaudhrysan FX camera prices do not drop quickly as FX cameras do not follow the same product life cycles as do DX bodies.

I do not see a D600 costing <Rs 1L until it is superceded by a new model (at least 2-3 years away) or 2nd hand bodies trickle into the market, which ever occurs first. IMHO a used D700 is an excellent starter FX body and can be had for Rs 70-80K.
Old 13th September 2012, 17:45   #10492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

joslicx, that's not true. This isnt a D7K sensor in a D600 body but a completely new one even though resolution is the same @ 24MP.

A FX sensor is larger than a DX sensor. Besides the D7K is already a 2 year old model so sensor related improvements are to be expected. There is chatter that this is the same sensor as found in Sony's A99 full frame camera. Worth it or not is a criteria that only an individual can decide.
Hey R2D2. What I meant was a new full frame sensor in D7000 body. D7000 has a 16MP sensor. D600 has exactly same body/construction/metering/LCD/viewfinder/AF etc as the D7000.

Actually it will be interesting to see D600 vs the Alpha 99. I think D600 is to D7000 what the A99 is to A77. In both cases there are only minor improvements (plus full frame sensor). In both cases the difference in full frame vs DX pricing is about 1000 USD.

My question was just academic one. Is the full frame sensor really so expensive. I am not at all questioning Nikon's pricing here.
Old 13th September 2012, 18:03   #10493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey R2D2. What I meant was a new full frame sensor in D7000 body. D7000 has a 16MP sensor. D600 has exactly same body/construction/metering/LCD/viewfinder/AF etc as the D7000.

Actually it will be interesting to see D600 vs the Alpha 99. I think D600 is to D7000 what the A99 is to A77. In both cases there are only minor improvements (plus full frame sensor). In both cases the difference in full frame vs DX pricing is about 1000 USD.

My question was just academic one. Is the full frame sensor really so expensive. I am not at all questioning Nikon's pricing here.
That's right the D7K has a 16MP DX sensor (my bad). And it is very similar to the D7K. When comparing the D600 (USD 2100) to the A99 (USD 2800) it is obviously cheaper so not sure what the A99 brings to the table above and beyond the Nikon..possibly better build quality.

FX will always be priced much higher than a DX sensor due to the higher cost of related research and manufacture of a physically larger sensor. How much more is difficult to tell.

Both types of sensors will get cheaper as newer gen chips evolve, much like PC processors, but the price differential between the 2 types of bodies will always remain. It has happened in the PC industry as well with different type of socket configurations to cater to different market segments. For e.g. the Core i7 2011 pin socket v/s the Core i7 1155 pin socket CPU.
Old 13th September 2012, 18:22   #10494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's right the D7K has a 16MP DX sensor (my bad). And it is very similar to the D7K. When comparing the D600 (USD 2100) to the A99 (USD 2800) it is obviously cheaper so not sure what the A99 brings to the table above and beyond the Nikon..possibly better build quality.
Sony has far far superior video capabilities (full 60fps at 1080p). Nikon and Canon are behind Sony in that aspect.

Also Sony has fully articulated screen that is lacking on D600/D7000. It is again probably more important in video shooting.

A99 has fully weather sealed body. That is not so on the D600/D7000 (only partial sealing I guess).

A99 also has faster shooting mode (I think about 12 fps), daul phase detection system AF, 200000 cycles shutter durability etc to this credit.

It packs quite a punch. Its an interesting camera for those who want to do videos a lot.

I've been contemplating between D7000 and A77 for sometime (havent been able to make up my mind) hence my interest in both A99 and D600
Old 13th September 2012, 18:41   #10495
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've been contemplating between D7000 and A77 for sometime (havent been able to make up my mind) hence my interest in both A99 and D600
Interesting dilemna if there could ever be one. I dont think the A99 been introduced in India at least if you go by Sony India's site.

Do take into consideration that Sony's line of lenses and accessories is limited in comparision to the Canikon combine, though you could use Minolta's and other 3rd party lenses. Clevermax uses a Sony A mount and can guide you further.

If you are starting anew in the DSLR world aren't you considering Canon as well? BTW, Canon India just hiked prices by about 20-30% on their lenses making their glass more expensive than Nikon's - doing away with a key benefit that they had over Nikon at least for new users.

Good luck with the decision making.
Old 13th September 2012, 18:44   #10496
Senior - BHPian

Here's a comparison between A99 vs D600.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...ts=sony_slta99

For the starters, these are the sensors on both cameras:

D600: Full frame (35.9 x 24 mm)
Sony A99: Full frame (35.8 x 23.8 mm)
Old 13th September 2012, 22:39   #10497
Senior - BHPian

The price in India seems to be on higher side for the Nikon D600. In Nikon USA site, the retail price shown is 2099 USD.
Old 13th September 2012, 23:51   #10498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Interesting dilemna if there could ever be one. I dont think the A99 been introduced in India at least if you go by Sony India's site.

Do take into consideration that Sony's line of lenses and accessories is limited in comparision to the Canikon combine, though you could use Minolta's and other 3rd party lenses. Clevermax uses a Sony A mount and can guide you further.
Yes I read about that. The only reason I was interested in Sony was the video capabilities. but with the kit 16-105 lens it is turning out to be quite expensive proposition (almost 1L).

I am more leaning towards the D7000 body + 35mm 1.8g DX lens to start with (total outlay around 70k). Can add a zoom lens (Ken Rockwell suggests the 55-200) later. Just now read about the D5100 also! It has the same sensor as D7000 and takes as good pictures at half the price! Now I am in double minds!! Its so tedious - making decisions.

Quote:
If you are starting anew in the DSLR world aren't you considering Canon as well? BTW, Canon India just hiked prices by about 20-30% on their lenses making their glass more expensive than Nikon's - doing away with a key benefit that they had over Nikon at least for new users.

Good luck with the decision making.
I checked Canon DSLRs at a Croma outlet and it didnt feel as well built as the Nikons. In fact the rubber/plastic grip was coming out of one of the camera. It just put me off. Havent considered them after seeing that.
Old 14th September 2012, 00:07   #10499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am more leaning towards the D7000 body + 35mm 1.8g DX lens to start with (total outlay around 70k). Can add a zoom lens (Ken Rockwell suggests the 55-200) later. Just now read about the D5100 also! It has the same sensor as D7000 and takes as good pictures at half the price! Now I am in double minds!! Its so tedious - making decisions.
This is what I also own currently. D7000 and 35mm f/1.8g.
Soon, I am planning to add 28-300 in my kitty.
Old 14th September 2012, 00:09   #10500
Senior - BHPian

1.34 L for D600 is bit more than what was expected and that too considering D800 is available for 1.58 L. May be the price will come down soon. But the specs of the camera looks really good. Now the ball is in Canon's court (buggers have recently put the plug on many people's plan to upgrade on lenses with 25-30% hike and that is really a lot).

@Joslix, trust me on this, most of the Canon and Nikon cameras are built pretty well and there is not much to separate them in terms of build quality. One should be good to go with any of these brands.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks