Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2012, 14:33   #10321
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Congratulations on your acquisitions. How much did you get the D7000 for in Chennai?
I was able to get the body only for 57K(Slightly higher i feel). I picked it up at Smart shoppers in chennai. I somehow prefer to be with this vendor and hence sticked to this price despite some other shop ready to give it for around 55K
Old 16th August 2012, 15:32   #10322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
I was able to get the body only for 57K(Slightly higher i feel). I picked it up at Smart shoppers in chennai. I somehow prefer to be with this vendor and hence sticked to this price despite some other shop ready to give it for around 55K
+1 to Smartshoppers. I have bought two cameras from them (Sony A35, Canon 550D) and both of them were very good deals in terms of price and service.
Old 16th August 2012, 15:35   #10323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Congrats and even i just picked up the D7000 body only here recently in chennai

Congrats. So hope to see more better pics soon.
Old 17th August 2012, 08:04   #10324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
My friend is in the US, and can get me a camera from there.
//The friend is in Atlanta.

Questions:
1. Which camera body/lens combo to get!? T3i/T2i - I have read through some threads- but - I don't think I am qualified enough to decide based on that.
If someone could please simplify it for me, I would really appreciate that!
2. Is it a good idea to get one from the US? Warranty/any other issues?
3. Anything else to watchout?
4. Last but not the least- which is the best place to buy from ( in US )?

EDIT- Most importantly - I have a given budget of 45KINR allocated as of now.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ace.
Hi Ace,

I'm pretty much in a similar situation as you, except, I'm in the US myself for a brief period now. I've been looking to pick up a DSLR, but I'm biding my time for now, not too excited with what the US offers.

So here goes my analysis:

Much to my surprise, prices here are no cheaper than in India. In fact, some are more expensive here than the prices I see on flipkart. I may do exactly the opposite of what you're looking forward to - I might wait until I return to India to buy a DSLR because I see absolutely no advantage of buying here. Same goes for lenses, tripods and filters. As of today, I am halfway through the process of analyzing cost differences broken up in terms of body, battery, lenses, tripod, extended warranty, UV & GND filters, a backpack bag and lens hoods. Allow me a few days before I can share that with you.

The sales guy at a Best Buy store here told me that the standard warranty is strictly a North America warranty, and I wouldn't get an international warranty. Unexpected as it was, it mellowed my expectations down about getting my hands on a camera immediately, before I get back to India.

I'm not in a position to be terribly precise here, but I can broadly tell you that the salient differences between the T3i & T2i will be in terms of MP, the articulated LCD panel in the T3i as opposed to the fixed panel in the T2i, T3i's full HD capability (1080p compared with T2i's 720p) in videos and in a marginally faster burst speed in continuous mode in the T3i (4 fps against 3.5 fps if I remember right).

As long as you're not too ambitious about accessories, I think a 45k budget is reasonable. My only concern is that lenses don't come cheap at all, but they're going to be the most central part of your arsenal - NOT your camera! I say this assuming you're picking up a decently good model, though.

Please do feel free to ask questions. I'm inviting them not because I'm an expert who has the answers (I'm NOT and I won't), but because they drive me to go looking for them.

P.S. - Aravind's new acquisition has clearly overshadowed your questions Congrats Aravind!

Last edited by skandyhere : 17th August 2012 at 08:06. Reason: P.S. to congratulate Aravind
Old 17th August 2012, 09:47   #10325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
Hi Ace,

Much to my surprise, prices here are no cheaper than in India. In fact, some are more expensive here than the prices I see on flipkart. I may do exactly the opposite of what you're looking forward to - I might wait until I return to India to buy a DSLR because I see absolutely no advantage of buying here. Same goes for lenses, tripods and filters. As of today, I am halfway through the process of analyzing cost differences broken up in terms of body, battery, lenses, tripod, extended warranty, UV & GND filters, a backpack bag and lens hoods. Allow me a few days before I can share that with you.
It makes more sense to buy the SLRs from Canon and Nikon in India. I am not sure if it holds good for products from other manufacturers.

If picked in the US, apart from not being international warranty is for only one year. Purchased here the warranty is for two years.
Price in India is similar to the US or sometimes even cheaper.

However, when it comes to lenses, not all are easily available here. Price is again similar, higher end ones seem to be cheaper outside though.

If one were to pick anything apart from a traditional SLR in India the choice is very very limited. Sometimes not even available ages after the launch.

You might want to pick one in the US if you want to take pictures during your stay this visit.
Old 17th August 2012, 09:56   #10326
BHPian

Folks,
I need some suggestion. I am looking to upgrade from the Canon 1000D. What do you chose between a Canon 650D and 60D? My cousin is coming down from the US in December I am asking her to buy one of these for me. Also, is anyone aware of any upcoming models in the "Canon X0D" series?

The one offer tempting me go with Canon 60D is I can get a 250$ off on the Canon 70-300MM IS lens. So the combo of 60D + 70-300MM IS lens is coming up to 1150$(65K INR). This makes it a very good deal compared to what we get here in India (60D is about 54.6K INR and 70-300MM IS is 37K).

Thanks in advance for your suggestion folks! :-)
Old 17th August 2012, 10:10   #10327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatcher View Post
Folks,
I need some suggestion. I am looking to upgrade from the Canon 1000D. What do you chose between a Canon 650D and 60D? My cousin is coming down from the US in December I am asking her to buy one of these for me. Also, is anyone aware of any upcoming models in the "Canon X0D" series?

The one offer tempting me go with Canon 60D is I can get a 250$ off on the Canon 70-300MM IS lens. So the combo of 60D + 70-300MM IS lens is coming up to 1150$(65K INR). This makes it a very good deal compared to what we get here in India (60D is about 54.6K INR and 70-300MM IS is 37K).

Thanks in advance for your suggestion folks! :-)
You have a lot of time. Canon upgrades in this segment is long pending. Hope at least the announcement happens by then.
Even if the lens is not something you would have purchased, will have buyers. Sell and buy a nicer lens . Canon has similar offers with other lenses too. Also, keep looking for the canon rebate.
Old 17th August 2012, 11:04   #10328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindSpeeDs View Post
Canon has similar offers with other lenses too. Also, keep looking for the canon rebate.
And what rebate is that?
Old 17th August 2012, 11:48   #10329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
And what rebate is that?
It is either bundled with a lens or a direct discount on the body, or a super discount with a camera and printer (Many sell the printer on ebay/forums eventually). I suggest you google "canon rebate" for more details.
Old 17th August 2012, 14:43   #10330
Senior - BHPian

Hello guys,
Am in bit of a quandary. I have a Nikon D5100 with kit lens, I've been using this camera along with the kit lens for close to year.

I now want to buy an additional lens, but I am unsure which one to get. Do I get a prime lens (35mm to 50mm) or should I get a zoom lens (55-300 or 55-200mm). I tried my cousins Sigma prime lens and the clarity and DoF just blew my mind away. Ever since that I've been planning to get a prime but at the same time I feel a zoom lens would also be beneficial.

I will soon be travelling to Sweden for a few months, earlier I planned to buy the lens from there but the prices there are significantly higher than what we get in India.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 15:11   #10331
Senior - BHPian

I've been using a Sony Bridge camera (Sony DSC H1) for a few years now and recently came across Canon's 550D deal on flipkart for 34k - Canon EOS 550D SLR: SLR: Camera Review, Price in India, Compare: Flipkart.com

I wanted to know a couple of things:

1. Is it a good deal - 550D with EF S18-55 IS II lens (along with Kenko 58mm UV Filter + Sandisk 16GB SDHC Card + 4 GB SD Card (inside the box) + DSLR Camera Bag) for 34k?

2. Is there a better camera than 550D available at <=35k?

3. Is the 14 bit RAW format enough to play around with? I don't even know what processing the pics mean, but I'd like to have the option if its something cool to have.
Old 17th August 2012, 18:03   #10332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hello guys,
Am in bit of a quandary. I have a Nikon D5100 with kit lens, I've been using this camera along with the kit lens for close to year.

I now want to buy an additional lens, but I am unsure which one to get. Do I get a prime lens (35mm to 50mm) or should I get a zoom lens (55-300 or 55-200mm). I tried my cousins Sigma prime lens and the clarity and DoF just blew my mind away. Ever since that I've been planning to get a prime but at the same time I feel a zoom lens would also be beneficial.

I will soon be travelling to Sweden for a few months, earlier I planned to buy the lens from there but the prices there are significantly higher than what we get in India.

Looking forward to your replies.

Thanks
HI Hiren,
...my 2 cents.

Prime : There is no choice You have to have a 50mm. [The 35mm has a slight distortion characteristic of a 35mm - nothing wrong; have a look, play with a 35mm, you have to be sure you want that before you go for it. If you are looking for a portrait lens 50mm is THE one to have - after may be the 80mm prime ofcourse, which cost a whole lot more.] As you mentioned the DoF is mindblowing. An f/1.7 or 1.4 will be ideal. I always have one in the kit bag. I use a d90.

Another thing you need to keep in mind is - since your camera is a DX type you have a 1.5 multiplication factor on every lens you use. 50mm on a 5100 will end up with an effective focal length of 50x1.5 = 75mm just what you need for portraits! And 50mm lenses are reletively cheaper given the mass production.

About the zoom - which one? This is a decision only you can come up with. Here is what I considered when I bought my lenses.

1. 50mm: I will not repeat the above story
2. 16-85mm : This is my regular "walk around" zoom. Has a fair zoom range, compact lens (not too bulky), has VR (vibration reduction feature).
3. 70-300mm : This one gets busy when I need that extra range reach. Has VR. Slightly bulky, your kit bag will need some extra room. If wildlife is part of the plot - you need a longer zoom.

So... wrapping up - IMHO : here is what will decide which lens you need.
1. $$ !!
2. How crazy you are about clicking. Are you looking for a small zoom which will not bother you too much with weight or space. Are you ready to lug a couple of Kg more for the sake of that one shot you will get once in 6 months! I sure am! [after I missed a close up of a leapard during a safari in Bandipur as my zoom was not long enough!]
3. What do you generally plan to photograph - get a zoom between 16mm and 150mm for your basic set up. See how big is OK for you. Go for a longer zoom later.
4. Don't forget the 50mm! It will continue to blow your mind away EVERY time you use it.

Hope that was more inputs than info overkill !

For ref: Check out what can be done with a 300mm.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/adarshrai/6911234020/

Last edited by CLIX : 17th August 2012 at 18:09.
Old 17th August 2012, 21:05   #10333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIX View Post
HI Hiren,
...my 2 cents.

So... wrapping up - IMHO : here is what will decide which lens you need.
1. $$ !!
2. How crazy you are about clicking. Are you looking for a small zoom which will not bother you too much with weight or space. Are you ready to lug a couple of Kg more for the sake of that one shot you will get once in 6 months! I sure am! [after I missed a close up of a leapard during a safari in Bandipur as my zoom was not long enough!]
3. What do you generally plan to photograph - get a zoom between 16mm and 150mm for your basic set up. See how big is OK for you. Go for a longer zoom later.
4. Don't forget the 50mm! It will continue to blow your mind away EVERY time you use it.

Hope that was more inputs than info overkill !

For ref: Check out what can be done with a 300mm.
1-DSC_7546 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Now where's that thank you feature. Many thanks for the advice.
I agree, having prime is a nobrainer. Now will chose between 35mm and 50mm.

I cannot afford to buy too many lenses, not at this stage in my life atleast. Hence, I was hoping on getting started on any one these (prime or 55-300). Since I will be travelling to Sweden which has a wonderful landscape and there is a good potential for good pictures, hence thought of expanding my lens collection. I'm not keen on wildlife photography, for me it will be people and landscapes.

Having said that I'm still not sure which lens to get first.

Cheers
Old 17th August 2012, 21:42   #10334
Team-BHP Support

Decide first what you want to concentrate on. Select lenses after that. Choices are way too many to waste money.
Old 17th August 2012, 22:20   #10335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Decide first what you want to concentrate on. Select lenses after that. Choices are way too many to waste money.
Actually for the life of me I can't figure out what I want.
I would love to have both these lenses (and I will eventually), just can't figure out what one to get first.

Thanks Rudra!

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 17th August 2012 at 22:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks