Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2012, 13:09   #10306
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
I am trying to click continuous photos using 1100D by setting the shutter speed to 1/2000 and enabled multiple shots, however there is a lag between each shots. When I tried to switch to sports mode it was very fast. After comparing the settings in two modes I couldn't find why it is slow in all other modes.

How can achieve a shutter speed 1/2000 or 1/4000 with the speed of sports mode ?
Maybe it's the setting of your drive mode. In Sony SLRs, there's an option of choosing Lo/Hi drive modes that specify the time lag between successive shots when shutter is left pressed. In Hi setting, there's virtually no time lag between shots. Guess gotta check what feature, in Canon, is there similar to the drive mode one in Sony.

For such high shutter speeds I guess you'll have to bump up the ISO and use as wide an aperture as possible.
Old 10th August 2012, 20:05   #10307
Senior - BHPian

Hi Gurus

I am looking for a 8/16GB SDHC for my EOS 550D( currently using the 4GB Sandisk Ultra class 6 SDHC that came with the camera).

I am pretty happy with the speed of Sandisk Ultra that came with the Camera(this one, class 6)

But i saw two different varients listed on flipkart

Sandisk Extreme(class 10) vs Sandisk Ultra(class 6)

Is there any major difference between the two? speed seems to be marginally higher for Sandisk Extreme(but it could also be because of class 10 vs class 6)

So i am bit confused if Ultra is good enough for extreme is better suited for DSLR ? I see that some brands(sony,Transend etc) say class 10, but data rate seems to be very slow 10-15MB/s which is way less than say Sandisk ultra class 6

Last edited by rajshenoy : 10th August 2012 at 20:07.
Old 10th August 2012, 22:14   #10308
BHPian

Need to pick up a CF card for my Canon 7D...currently having a Sandisk 4GB Extreme IV ..

The DSLR Thread-card.jpg

Which makes more sense
Old 11th August 2012, 09:14   #10309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
But i saw two different varients listed on flipkart

Sandisk Extreme(class 10) vs Sandisk Ultra(class 6)
Always go in for recommended cards - forget the likes of Transcend.

You will not go wrong with a Sandisk as it is recommended by nearly all camera mfrs. As for speed - it depends on the type of shooting you do - faster cards help when shooting continuous frames or movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Need to pick up a CF card for my Canon 7D...currently having a Sandisk 4GB Extreme IV ..
The 7D is compatible with UDMA 7 if you update the firmware to the latest version released recently. That can take advantage of the fastest CF cards in the market.

As mentioned above, go in for the faster Extreme Pro (2x the price of the Extreme) only if you shoot continuous frames/movies.

But if you don't mind the price go for the Extreme Pro but it is 2x the price. They are one of the best. Reliable and fast cards are like an investment. They will also work with future DSLR models that leverage their fast read/write characteristics to the max.
Old 11th August 2012, 11:22   #10310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Always go in for recommended cards - forget the likes of Transcend.

You will not go wrong with a Sandisk as it is recommended by nearly all camera mfrs. As for speed - it depends on the type of shooting you do - faster cards help when shooting continuous frames or movies.
Point noted.

But what about the difference between Ultra vs Extreme. ?

Agreed that Extreme pro is more suited for SLR Pros who need high speed action. But Ultra and Extreme seems to be pretty close to each other.(30 vs 45 MB/S
Old 11th August 2012, 12:06   #10311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Point noted.

But what about the difference between Ultra vs Extreme. ?

Agreed that Extreme pro is more suited for SLR Pros who need high speed action. But Ultra and Extreme seems to be pretty close to each other.(30 vs 45 MB/S
The difference is in max read/write speeds and it can make a difference if your type of photography and camera require and support a high speed card

Also 30 and 45MB/s are not 'close'. One is 50% faster than the other. A very noticeable difference given the right camera. The Extreme Pro is 95 MBps.

In the end it is your decision on cost v/s benefits parameters. Remember that buying a faster spec card is better in the long run - cards like lenses can be carried forward from one camera body to the other. And future camera bodies will require faster cards to support their enhanced performance.
Old 11th August 2012, 20:11   #10312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 967920

Which makes more sense

Hey Vikas!

I am planning to get these. An awesome deal!!

Lexar 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional

UDMA 7 150Mb/s 16GB Lexar CF, 2 cards for USD 142 (~8000INR)

BTW, I have used both the cards you have mentioned with the 7D but I couldn't perceive any tangible difference while shooting. Maybe the pro one is a tad faster while transferring images to hard-drive. I feel its better to go for the higher capacity 60mb/s if its for the 7D. No idea about video though.

Hope you have upgraded your 7D firmware, some pretty neat features they have included this time around.

Last edited by robimahanta : 11th August 2012 at 20:17.
Old 12th August 2012, 07:21   #10313
Senior - BHPian

My SIL got the following yesterday, finally:-

1) Nikon D3200 (Red body) with 18-55 kit lens 34,000/-
2) Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 G Prime lens 12,000/-
3) SanDisk Class 10 16 GB EXT PRO card 1,450/-

Compared to Flipkart.com, Vijay Sales, Croma and every other online and offline stores, this is THE best deal we got.
Old 12th August 2012, 11:06   #10314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The 7D is compatible with UDMA 7 if you update the firmware to the latest version released recently. That can take advantage of the fastest CF cards in the market.

As mentioned above, go in for the faster Extreme Pro (2x the price of the Extreme) only if you shoot continuous frames/movies.

But if you don't mind the price go for the Extreme Pro but it is 2x the price. They are one of the best. Reliable and fast cards are like an investment. They will also work with future DSLR models that leverage their fast read/write characteristics to the max.
As you will note, price is similar for both.. the choice is between 200% more space vs 50% more speed. That's the whole dilemma!

I've read that the new firmware extends the continuous shooting frame buffer to 25 RAWs. But does this feature compulsorily require a UDMA 7 compatible CF Card?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Hey Vikas!

I am planning to get these. An awesome deal!!

Lexar 16GB CompactFlash Memory Card Professional

UDMA 7 150Mb/s 16GB Lexar CF, 2 cards for USD 142 (~8000INR)
Wow! These look like an awesome deal! At 150mbps, these are 2.5x faster than the Sandisk Extreme (60mbps) and cost only a fraction more. Also its safer to have 2x 16gb cards than 1x 32gb card.

Only slight downer is the massive freight charges of BnH. Plus both UPS and FedEx will pay customs duty on your behalf to Indian Customs and collect the same from you upon delivery.

So if you factor these into account than the landed cost comes up to about $ 250 ~ 14k INR. Not so cheap anymore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Hope you have upgraded your 7D firmware, some pretty neat features they have included this time around.
Not yet.. will do soon!
Old 12th August 2012, 13:08   #10315
Senior - BHPian

Regarding Flash Card Speeds.

Please note that each camera model has a recommended card, which basically matches the speed of the camera with that of the card. A faster card will not make a difference in shooting speed.

Where it makes a difference is in transferring the data from the card to the computer via a dedicated card reader. A faster card means faster data transfer - a boon for those who shoot hundreds of shots and need to transfer them to the computer in shortest possible time.

So if you take a lot of shots - say 400+ a day and need to transfer them to computer at the end of the day, using a high speed card reader, choose the fastest card you can afford. Else if you take a few shots and transfer the data via the camera cable, then stick to the recommended card, a faster one will make no difference.
Old 12th August 2012, 20:06   #10316
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As you will note, price is similar for both.. the choice is between 200% more space vs 50% more speed. That's the whole dilemma!

I've read that the new firmware extends the continuous shooting frame buffer to 25 RAWs. But does this feature compulsorily require a UDMA 7 compatible CF Card?
As I said before, the choice of CF cards in terms of speed v/s capacity is entirely dependent on how & what you shoot. Continuous shooting of action events or fast moving subjects and video would require a faster card.

Get the higher capacity 'Extreme' card if you don't do frequent burst shooting. BTW that 60MB/s is not exactly slow and will do for nearly all DSLRs.

From what I read on the 'net - release notes by Canon UDMA 7 is not supported. My bad for my earlier post about UDMA 7 support), a UDMA 7 card defaults to UDMA 6. But it is not required for those burst rates you mention, though they did use a UDMA 7 card for the test. Go figure. For further info:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...rmware_compare

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th August 2012 at 20:20.
Old 14th August 2012, 19:16   #10317
BHPian

Guys,

Flash-help please! (excuse the pun - but - I am requesting quick help please )

__
Given - I have been studying about photography and following the photography threads here.
I feel I am ready to pick up a DSLR myself - and get hands-on with my learning.

I have already called one of my Ace Photographer friend/mentor from tbhp shajufx - and he has told me to get a built in AF motor body and a prime lens to begin with - which is what I want to do.
__

Now -
My friend is in the US, and can get me a camera from there.
//The friend is in Atlanta.

Questions:
1. Which camera body/lens combo to get!? T3i/T2i - I have read through some threads- but - I don't think I am qualified enough to decide based on that.
If someone could please simplify it for me, I would really appreciate that!
2. Is it a good idea to get one from the US? Warranty/any other issues?
3. Anything else to watchout?
4. Last but not the least- which is the best place to buy from ( in US )?

EDIT- Most importantly - I have a given budget of 45KINR allocated as of now.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 14th August 2012 at 19:22. Reason: Added the most important part! -Budget.
Old 15th August 2012, 13:24   #10318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
My friend is in the US, and can get me a camera from there.
//The friend is in Atlanta.
After you decide on the Camera, check the prices in India as well. Now, I am seeing that prices in India are cheaper than the ones in US. Also, you would get Indian warranty if bought in India. I just picked up D7000 in India which is cheaper here and also comes with 2 year Indian Warranty.
Old 16th August 2012, 13:59   #10319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I just picked up D7000 in India which is cheaper here and also comes with 2 year Indian Warranty.
Congrats and even i just picked up the D7000 body only here recently in chennai
Old 16th August 2012, 14:25   #10320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
... I just picked up D7000 in India which is cheaper here and also comes with 2 year Indian Warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
... just picked up the D7000 body only here recently in chennai
Congratulations on your acquisitions. How much did you get the D7000 for in Chennai?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks