Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2012, 11:47   #10201
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The D800 - finally, finally

After a long long wait, today I got my second camera body and that too a FX. The Nikon D800. Though this hobby/profession is supposed to be a bottomless pit, as of know my photographic gear seems to be complete. My signature below lists all my rides & the photographic gear.
Congrats GD! Good to see you taking the plunge for the D800 - I have trying to motivate myself for this too, but haven't bitten the financial bullet yet!
It's a great camera with unmatched specs (till yet by Canon!) and we are looking forward to many more brilliant pics from you from your travels!
Do share your initial views on the camera!

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 25th July 2012, 12:53   #10202
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's a review of the Nikon 18-300 DX

Nikon Lens: Zooms - Nikon 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX VR Nikkor (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

cheers!
Old 25th July 2012, 14:36   #10203
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Amol. Aren't we all tired of this misplaced judicial activism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolpol View Post

Congrats GD Saab, it's definitely a nice addition to your kit.

Now the next wait will be to see what SC decides on the tourism areas inside the reserves. Honestly, I'm a bit tired of these blanket rulings trend that has started off lately.
Thanks Raj. Most certainly the only ones listed in my signature. Stop instigating me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post

Congrats, Now I am curious as to what lenses your planning to use with it... certainly not just the ones listed in your signature.
Thanks. It indeed is a great camera. Haven't yet started reading the manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post

Congrats GD! Good to see you taking the plunge for the D800 - I have trying to motivate myself for this too, but haven't bitten the financial bullet yet!

It's a great camera with unmatched specs (till yet by Canon!) and we are looking forward to many more brilliant pics from you from your travels!
Do share your initial views on the camera!

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 25th July 2012, 14:42   #10204
Senior - BHPian

Reference post #10175, placed an order today for these:

1 Sandisk ExtremePRO CF 32GB 90MBs - Rs. 11355
1 Sandisk ExtremePRO SDHC UHS-I 16 GB 45 MBs - Rs. 2865

The bottomless pit became a bit wider too...!
Old 25th July 2012, 14:52   #10205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reference post #10175, placed an order today for these:....Sandisk ExtremePRO CF 32GB 90MBs - Rs. 11355....
First of all, congratulations dear friend on the D800. You have placed yourself in the upper class for most of us poor souls here ! And for the first time in the history, someone bought a new DSLR and Supreme Court ordered a total ban on Tiger tourism You should think twice before you buy anything else in the future !!
Old 25th July 2012, 15:02   #10206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Reference post #10175, placed an order today for these:

1 Sandisk ExtremePRO CF 32GB 90MBs - Rs. 11355
1 Sandisk ExtremePRO SDHC UHS-I 16 GB 45 MBs - Rs. 2865

Congrats gd1418. Thats an awesome addition to the stable.

And BTW, this bottomless pit that we are talking about, is conical in shape with the tapering end at the top IMHO.
Old 25th July 2012, 15:32   #10207

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Oops...my bad rajb3125, I misread your post. Miss the 'just' Yeah, I guess GD will expand his lens collection sooner or later.
No probs mate, I am well aware of the lenses he's using, I used to have 80-200mm (still have it, just the front element is way too loose, now I remember whole front part is loose, AS broken, Does AF fine and quick but cannot change over to MF and MF dial is stuck too, so is Apeture dial, lol yes this lens went though hell and back) as my main lens for Weddings.

Ideally I would love to try 24mm f1.4G, 35mm f1.4G, 85mm f1.4G on D800. And lucky for me, I am updating my lens collection, all three in the mail right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Depends on personal preferences, use cases and compromises (driven by budget in my case) I guess. The IQ of 70-300 VR falls off nearer to 300mm, but I am happy with some of the shots I have got at 300mm or close to that. And I want the extra reach of the 70-300mm.

Can you share some good photos taken with the 55-200, if they are handy?
I am not saying 70-300mm is a crap lens, its a decent piece of glass, but IQ is just not there, to me it was always a bit soft and like I said I never got used to the Color rendition from the lens.

Quote:
+1 Same here - Lenses are more important.

I have waited till I built up a decent collection of lenses and then went in for good camera bodies. My fav is the 24-70.

I agree there will be commercial implications/interests in Nikons suggestions - but they i.e. suggested lenses have performance merit as well.
Yep lenses are literally the MOST important part, I know a guy who used 350D till few weeks ago when he upgraded to 5D mk1 and he does landscapes but uses only L glass. And his images are just nuts. Few wedding togs I know who use Dx and 1Dx bodies cannot accomplish same

My fav lens is Nikon 50mm f1.4 Pre Ai, hacked into working on current bodies, I just love its color rendition.

Quote:
Thanks Raj. Most certainly the only ones listed in my signature. Stop instigating me..
Its a shame, need to seriously try 85mm f1.4 G on it and don`t forget 135mm f2 DC, 24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 200mm f2 and 300mm f2.8

I got 24mm, 35mm and 85mm in mail, will be posting few images once I get them.
Old 25th July 2012, 15:38   #10208
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1 Sandisk ExtremePRO CF 32GB 90MBs - Rs. 11355, 1 Sandisk ExtremePRO SDHC UHS-I 16 GB 45 MBs - Rs. 2865
The bottomless pit will become wider still as time passes.

BTW those are good prices for arguably the best cards you can get in India. Where did you buy them from?
Old 25th July 2012, 16:26   #10209
Senior - BHPian

I have a query about the LCD screen guards. Considering the fact that these cameras come with LCD screens of size 3inch or more, we have more area for getting scratched.

So i just want to know how you protect your beloved.

I saw that there are two types of options

1. Hard plastic screen guard - This attaches to the viewfinder and cover the LCD screen fully preventing from any scratches(though i doubt how it will avoid dust)

2. Scratch guards that we stick to the screen(I have one on my mobile since 8-10 months and its decent)

Of course 3rd option would be to protect it with care

What do you guys think ?
Old 25th July 2012, 16:46   #10210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I have a query about the LCD screen guards. Considering the fact that these cameras come with LCD screens of size 3inch or more, we have more area for getting scratched.

So i just want to know how you protect your beloved.

I saw that there are two types of options

1. Hard plastic screen guard - This attaches to the viewfinder and cover the LCD screen fully preventing from any scratches(though i doubt how it will avoid dust)

2. Scratch guards that we stick to the screen(I have one on my mobile since 8-10 months and its decent)

Of course 3rd option would be to protect it with care

What do you guys think ?

I have a normal Mobile Phone like Scratch Guard on my D5100. Its been 6 months and it is holding fine. I do use the camera carefully though. I think untill you feel that your camera is going to get a decent amount of abuse (Use) you can do with the this type of screen guard.
Old 25th July 2012, 16:55   #10211
BHPian

THe entry level 'entusiast' is back again. Apologies for that.

I am in the market looking for an entry level DSLR. What I found was that while all sources - web, shopping sites, company owned stores and croma - gave almost the same prices, some dealers in Bombay are quoting at a discount of close to 15%. For example, the Nikon3200 is selling at 38,800+ everywhere and they quote 33,000+. canon 550D is available at 37,000+ and they sell at 32,000+.

How is this possible? When I asked them, they assured me that they were authorised sellers for these companies and that the product was genuine and I could check through the company web site also.

I hope I am not getting into a wrong deal. Can someone help me here.
Old 25th July 2012, 17:07   #10212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
How is this possible? When I asked them, they assured me that they were authorised sellers for these companies and that the product was genuine and I could check through the company web site also.

I hope I am not getting into a wrong deal. Can someone help me here.
You wouldn't believe this, but I bought the 550D last August at Rs. 31,137/- from Letsbuy, when everywhere it was selling at around 39K with kit lens.
Come to think of it. I even saw a ad on TBHP of it for Rs. 29.9K. I think it's on Deallite. com or something.
Don't worry, 32K for 550D is perfectly Okay price. Don't read too much into it.
Old 25th July 2012, 17:18   #10213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
THe entry level 'entusiast' is back again.

How is this possible? When I asked them, they assured me that they were authorised sellers for these companies and that the product was genuine and I could check through the company web site also. I hope I am not getting into a wrong deal. Can someone help me here.
Who were these Mumbai dealers you checked with? Just keep in mind that larger stores like Croma will sell at MSRP or near it while smaller dealers will offer better prices. As long as those small dealers are authorised and they give you a sealed box you should be ok. Check on Nikon India's site if they are authorised sellers/dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I have a query about the LCD screen guards. Considering the fact that these cameras come with LCD screens of size 3inch or more, we have more area for getting scratched. So i just want to know how you protect your beloved. What do you guys think ?
Depending on what camera you have you have 3 options:

a) Factory fitted plastic screen guard - comes with most Nikons. Drawbacks are it scratches easily and traps dirt underneath which in turn scratches the display glass
b) Screen guard - this is a good option if you get a quality make like Scratchgard etc
c) GGS - stick on glass protectors with anti reflective coating. Reasonably priced and found on ebay. But shipping costs may be high. These are the best.

The fourth option is to protect it with care.
Quote:
Ideally I would love to try 24mm f1.4G, 35mm f1.4G, 85mm f1.4G on D800. And lucky for me, I am updating my lens collection, all three in the mail right now
Lucky you I am sure you must be anxiously waiting for the courier/postman!

I got the 85mm F/1.4 bokeh king last year, it is a beautiful lens and it is BIG. Right now have my eyes on just 2 more top notch and really expensive lenses - the 24mm 1.4G (maybe this year) and the 600mm f4 G (some years away. LOL!)
Old 25th July 2012, 17:35   #10214

Quote:
Lucky you I am sure you must be anxiously waiting for the courier/postman!

I got the 85mm F/1.4 bokeh king last year, it is a beautiful lens and it is BIG. Right now have my eyes on just 2 more top notch and really expensive lenses - the 24mm 1.4G (maybe this year) and the 600mm f4 G (some years away. LOL!)
I upgraded from 85mm f1.8 to 85mm f1.4G last year but mine got stolen few weeks back. So had to get it again, its perfect for D700, well balanced and sharp as a tack wide open.

If tax return wasnt there, I would have not considered the lenses but either I get new lenses or same money goes to taxman, I think I made a wise decision by buying the lenses

I already have 600mm f5.6 (300mm f2.8 and TC2x)
Old 25th July 2012, 17:40   #10215
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Shaju and thanks again for the barb. Like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

First of all, congratulations dear friend on the D800. You have placed yourself in the upper class for most of us poor souls here !
Shall keep this in mind in the future. A gem of an advice...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

And for the first time in the history, someone bought a new DSLR and Supreme Court ordered a total ban on Tiger tourism You should think twice before you buy anything else in the future !!
Thanks Ajay and very true too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

Congrats gd1418. Thats an awesome addition to the stable.

And BTW, this bottomless pit that we are talking about, is conical in shape with the tapering end at the top IMHO.
Oh Raj, who wouldn't want to have thse lenses. But I don't generally shoot landscapes & portraits so have never felt the need for the 24, 85, 35 etc.

My 80~200 f/2.8 does a swell of a job so don't need the 200 f/2. I tried selling my right kidney for the 300 f/2.8 but couldn't find a buyer. Had to settle for the 300 f/4 (didn't sell any organ)...

My wish list:

200~400 f/4

600 f/4

Quote:

Its a shame, need to seriously try 85mm f1.4 G on it and don`t forget 135mm f2 DC, 24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 200mm f2 and 300mm f2.8
I ordered them online from deltapage.com

Quote:

The bottomless pit will become wider still as time passes.

BTW those are good prices for arguably the best cards you can get in India. Where did you buy them from?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks