Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:38   #9706
Team-BHP Support

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
So in general,for land scapes,lower f numbers will do,right?
No for landscape we do need high F number. so that we get very high DOF (depth of field).
Thats why most tutorials say you should crank it to as high as possible (like F22).

But you should not go that high so that you hit the limits of diffraction. If you have a 1.6X cropped
sensor based DSLRs (e.g. 500D, 550D), I would say F8 would be good. At max may be F11.
(I take most landscapes at F8 on my 550D).

Last edited by ampere : 3rd May 2012 at 22:39.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:25   #9707
Senior - BHPian

I think that there are two problems
. The shot is too near the tomato there fore the lense is not able to focus. Note that only the far end is in focus.
. As the object is too near, the Depth of Field is extremely shallow, even at F/22.

So,

- Back off at least 2 meters from the tomato.
- Use a macro lense for close up shots.
- Use "Focus Stacking" to keep every thing in focus
Old 4th May 2012, 18:19   #9708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
- Use "Focus Stacking" to keep every thing in focus
How can we do focus stacking?Have you ever done that?Can you please shed some light on this?
Old 4th May 2012, 20:53   #9709
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
As the object is too near, the Depth of Field is extremely shallow, even at F/22.
Depth of field becomes shallow/narrow at larger apertures F/4 and wider, not smaller or when stopped down i.e. f16/22. Which is why you need to be careful of focus with fast lenses especially @ F/1.4, F/1.8.

The trade off is obvious when diffraction sets in at smaller apertures (larger F stop number)

Here's a good example of DOF and diffraction effects - check the example of the IC on the circuit board here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:De...d_Nov_2008.jpg

It is unfortunate that most modern lenses either do not have DOF scales engraved on the barrel or have rudimentary scales at best.
Old 5th May 2012, 22:26   #9710
BHPian

Could someone suggest a good light meter app for android? I see too many of them in the market.
Old 6th May 2012, 00:20   #9711
BHPian

Need Help

Hi everyone ,
Need some quick help here . A friend is planning to buy a new DSLR .
Budget is 46K .
Please give your suggestions regarding the DSLR within the required budget . Pros and cons.
If a low budget DSLR with some nice lens(es)(telescopic) comes within the budget then also let me know .
All the responses would be appreciated .
Thank you .
Regards .
Old 6th May 2012, 08:01   #9712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit

How can we do focus stacking?Have you ever done that?Can you please shed some light on this?
Since I just got into macro photography, need to try my hands also with focus stacking. Looking for a good app to do that. I know the shooting technique though.

The idea is that you click several images of the subject with all settings same except focus, thereby ensuring that all parts of the subject came in focus in at least any of the images. The more images and slower the focus transition, the better. You need to feed all these images to the app which will do the stacking for you, giving a resultant image which will be having enough dof to show all parts of the subject in focus.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-_dsc4098.jpg

An image i clicked yesterday. Focus stacking would have made this so much better.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th May 2012 at 08:08.
Old 6th May 2012, 16:07   #9713
BHPian

No extra app required, normal Photoshop processing, I guess you are already a master of PS Clever
Only thing that is required is more than usual RAM; in my case with 4GB RAM on Windows 7, it used to take more than an hour to stack 10+ images, upgraded to 8GB it takes hardly 5 minutes now, huge huge difference in speed, so you get the idea.
Cheers!
Old 6th May 2012, 20:55   #9714
Distinguished - BHPian

The D800

Hey guys.

Finally it is here. I got the D800 today after a 7 week long wait. I had booked the D4 and its smaller sibling the D800 together on the day of their release in India i.e. 15th March. Luckily the D4 came in much earlier in the 3rd week of March. These DSLRs, especially the D800, are sure in short supply! Phew!

Cheers!
Old 7th May 2012, 09:59   #9715
BHPian

Re: The D800

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hey guys.

Finally it is here. I got the D800 today after a 7 week long wait. I had booked the D4 and its smaller sibling the D800 together on the day of their release in India i.e. 15th March. Luckily the D4 came in much earlier in the 3rd week of March. These DSLRs, especially the D800, are sure in short supply! Phew!

Cheers!
You purchased both D4 and D800? . Many Congratulations.
Do share some photos from these beauties.
Old 7th May 2012, 10:29   #9716
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC.CUSTOMS View Post
Hi everyone ,
Need some quick help here . A friend is planning to buy a new DSLR .
Budget is 46K .
Please give your suggestions regarding the DSLR within the required budget . Pros and cons.
If a low budget DSLR with some nice lens(es)(telescopic) comes within the budget then also let me know
I think both Nikon 3100 and canon 1100D will easily come for under 40k with the normal kit lens and a telescopic lens. If he can stretch his budget a little I guess he can go for the 550D with an additional telescopic lens. Flipkart has some good offers you can check that out if you want.
Old 7th May 2012, 13:34   #9717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Since I just got into macro photography, need to try my hands also with focus stacking. Looking for a good app to do that. I know the shooting technique though.

The idea is that you click several images of the subject with all settings same except focus, thereby ensuring that all parts of the subject came in focus in at least any of the images. The more images and slower the focus transition, the better. You need to feed all these images to the app which will do the stacking for you, giving a resultant image which will be having enough dof to show all parts of the subject in focus.

www.team-bhp.com/forum/attachments/shifting-gears/923883d1336214242-official-non-auto-image-thread-_dsc4098.jpg

An image i clicked yesterday. Focus stacking would have made this so much better.
Which lens did you use to click this?I know its real difficult to click a macro of a house fly.

I went for canon pro training.There I saw a macro clicked by the trainer.I asked him many things,but he was not ready to reveal any details about that shot.

But one thing he saud was to try with 60mm Macro lens,Also I heared (not from him) that we can use some software to guide camera to do multiple shots (using laptop connected to camera) and do the focust stacking.

I am yet to try all these. Please let me know how did you manage to click that photo.
Old 7th May 2012, 13:43   #9718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Which lens did you use to click this?I know its real difficult to click a macro of a house fly.

I went for canon pro training.There I saw a macro clicked by the trainer.I asked him many things,but he was not ready to reveal any details about that shot.

But one thing he saud was to try with 60mm Macro lens,Also I heared (not from him) that we can use some software to guide camera to do multiple shots (using laptop connected to camera) and do the focust stacking.

I am yet to try all these. Please let me know how did you manage to click that photo.
If he was not ready to share the details, he probably didn't know about it

More details of my shot here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2767811

I used Minolta 70-210mm lens with DCR250 macro converter. The lens is known for its sharpness.
Old 7th May 2012, 18:52   #9719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300

You purchased both D4 and D800? . Many Congratulations.
Do share some photos from these beauties.
Thanks buddy. I am travelling and accessing tbhp thru the mobile. Will upload some pics when I am back in about 10 days. Just remembered that I need to buy SD and CF cards for the cam. Photo gear expenses never cease.
Old 8th May 2012, 11:59   #9720
BHPian

Hi everybody,
I am in a hunt for my first DSLR.My maximum budget is 30k and the options are Nikon D3100 and Canon EOS 1100D both with 18-55mm kit lens.I am more interested in Nikon D3100 as it is slightly cheaper and has 14.1MP compared to Canon's 12.x.Also Nikon D3100 is the best selling DSLR in Japan as per Smart Photography Magazine.Please help me out of this dilemma.
Do reply
Sreehari

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks