Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2012, 11:12   #9571
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Thinking of getting NIKKOR AF-S DX 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens . Do I have other options ( Sigma one is nice, but a bit more costly) ?
Old 5th April 2012, 11:38   #9572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thinking of getting NIKKOR AF-S DX 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens . Do I have other options ( Sigma one is nice, but a bit more costly) ?
I own this lens, optical quality is , AF is slower than 70-300. All exterior shots in official Dzire review and this thread (Ranthambore National Park: A Quick Travelogue) were clicked using this lens.

Last edited by .anshuman : 5th April 2012 at 11:44.
Old 5th April 2012, 12:11   #9573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I own this lens, optical quality is , AF is slower than 70-300. All exterior shots in official Dzire review and this thread (Ranthambore National Park: A Quick Travelogue) were clicked using this lens.
Thanks! And you use D5000 right?
Old 5th April 2012, 12:14   #9574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Thanks! And you use D5000 right?
I use a Nikon D5100.
Old 5th April 2012, 12:30   #9575
BHPian

I am a bit skeptical about jumping into emerging tech which hasn't become mainstream, having jumped into APS bandwagon way back in 1999/2000 by buying a Nikon APS SLR and seeing it becoming obselete by Digital Cameras. Once bitten twice shy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Or Nex 5N, if you want something slightly better.

But these are not SLRs. They can be called Mirror-less cameras.
Old 5th April 2012, 13:18   #9576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius
I am a bit skeptical about jumping into emerging tech which hasn't become mainstream, having jumped into APS bandwagon way back in 1999/2000 by buying a Nikon APS SLR and seeing it becoming obselete by Digital Cameras. Once bitten twice shy!
Sony had Nex series in the market for pretty long and they have used them to replace their entry level DSLR cameras. I don't think Evil cameras will become obsolete anytime soon, we can see that Nikon followed and introduced mirrorless models as well.

Sony thinks that slapping mirror is obsolete and they are only making translucent mirror cameras now.

Last edited by clevermax : 5th April 2012 at 13:19.
Old 5th April 2012, 17:16   #9577
BHPian

Few more pic I tried today with 58mm macro closeup filter.I still wonder why I am not getting crisp pictures
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-img_0954.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-img_0943.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-img_0924.jpg  

Old 5th April 2012, 17:58   #9578
Senior - BHPian

Bought a 2nd hand spanking new, hardly used showroom like 70-300. I doubt if the lens had seen any light at all.

It was an offer I couldn't refuse.

Picked it for 19.5k while the new one retails for 29.5k.

Will post a pic of the lens soon.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 5th April 2012 at 18:04.
Old 5th April 2012, 18:17   #9579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Few more pic I tried today with 58mm macro closeup filter.I still wonder why I am not getting crisp pictures
The second picture looked somewhat sharp. So I had a close look at that picture, and found that it has heavy chromatic aberrations ranging in the span of 8-10 pixels or more, especially at the sides. Have a look at the zoomed in portion of the same image, some areas are marked where the issue is evident light daylight. I don't think this macro filter with your kit lens is going to give you good quality crisp images.

The DSLR Thread-pod.jpg

Have a look at this picture in Wikipedia as well, to get an idea how it can ruin your sharpness.

Last edited by clevermax : 5th April 2012 at 18:21.
Old 5th April 2012, 19:58   #9580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius View Post
If you ask me EVIL and or DSLTs are the future. For now DSLRs, DSLTs and EVILs cater to different customer segments. The best part of the Nikon 1 system is you can use Nikon's full frame lenses. I wonder when Canon will jump into the race.

Getting rid of the reflex mirror will be a boon provided mfrs are able to improve a few parameters of EVs (esp. response speed and color reproduction) before they can be accepted by advanced amateurs and pros. I checked out the EV on my friend's Sony HX100 and it was bad. I had to use the display for framing the photographs. I am sure there are better EVs out there but I haven't experienced them. But my first experience was awful.

Cheers!
Old 6th April 2012, 00:44   #9581
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why this was not posted till now. Or has it been?

LensRentals.com - Hammerforum.com
Old 6th April 2012, 11:28   #9582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The second picture looked somewhat sharp. So I had a close look at that picture, and found that it has heavy chromatic aberrations ranging in the span of 8-10 pixels or more, especially at the sides. Have a look at the zoomed in portion of the same image, some areas are marked where the issue is evident light daylight. I don't think this macro filter with your kit lens is going to give you good quality crisp images.

Attachment 912078

Have a look at this picture in Wikipedia as well, to get an idea how it can ruin your sharpness.
Thanks.I am undrstanding it now.But this picture was taken with the kit lense with only UV filter on it.No macro filter used.
Old 6th April 2012, 12:17   #9583
Distinguished - BHPian

Nikon iPhone App

Nikon has created an app, the Nikon Manual Viewer, that enables users to store PDF copies of their camera/flash manuals on their phones as a ready reference. Forget about carrying printed manuals. Neat app but a bit buggy. If the phone goes on standby the download stops and you need to start all over again. There's no resume download facility.

Android users can download the PDF from Nikon's site and use the ebook reader.

Regards,
Old 6th April 2012, 12:30   #9584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Welcome o the world of macros & associated frustration.

1. Macro lenses have a very shallow depth of field, so use the maximum F stop possible.

2. As the Macro lense magnifies objects, it also magnifies vibrations, so make it a point to use a sturdy tripod and see that no wind is blowing.

3. One method used successfully by macro photographers is to use a high power flash and "freeze" the object at 1/2000 or higher exposure speed. That takes care of most of the vibration and shakes.

4. If your camera supports focus bracketing, use that with a flash and then "focus blend" the images using third party software (plenty to be found on the net)

5. Lastly please use the net to browse through articles on macro photography by professionals. There are a lot of tips and techniques that would make the macro shots better.
Old 6th April 2012, 12:59   #9585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit

Thanks.I am undrstanding it now.But this picture was taken with the kit lense with only UV filter on it.No macro filter used.
Oh....which camera and lens it is? Wad it on reverse mount or normal?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks