Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 02:30   #9481
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

^+1 to that.
In fact unboxing pictures will be very welcome. With the D4 placed against other cameras you for size comparisons. No un-boxing video please. My net is too slow now a days.
Old 24th March 2012, 07:21   #9482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
^+1 to that.
In fact unboxing pictures will be very welcome. With the D4 placed against other cameras you for size comparisons. No un-boxing video please. My net is too slow now a days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Hey R2D2, congratulations.
To start with you will have to post some images of the beuty eager to see whats inside that box.
Hey thanks guys. But I havent taken any unboxing photos or video and I sold off my D700 to a friend a week ago.

Hope this may help. The contents and layout inside the box is exactly the same
First Nikon D4 delivered (Viet nam)
Old 24th March 2012, 14:50   #9483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
.....The XQD card is a complimentary offer by Nikon......D800 is the new low light king!! It has beaten the D4 to stand at the top.....
XQD card and reader comes with every box of D4, some of my US friends have taken delivery and its complimentary with every pack. D800 is the low light king ? It can not be true !!

Quote:
....havent taken any unboxing photos or video and I sold off my D700 to a friend a week ago......
There are dozens of unboxing photos and videos in any language one wants, you dont have to do that unless you are totally jobless I am just curious to know how much you got for your D700 !! I dont want to leave my D700 anytime soon, it can be a comfortable walk-around body for any situation in the most compact form.
Old 24th March 2012, 16:51   #9484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
XQD card and reader comes with every box of D4, some of my US friends have taken delivery and its complimentary with every pack. D800 is the low light king ? It can not be true !!.
Well, the scoring is by DXOMark and they are scientists in imaging. Not to be taken lightly.

But here's the catch, in low light sport photog, the D800 scores 2853 ISO and D4 2953...still not too far off from the flagship. Nikon have 2 thoroughbred winners in their stables.

I am waiting for the 1Dx and 5D Mk3 scores and comparisons. In a side by side technical comparison tHe 1Dx has the D4 licked in nearly all areas. But it looks as if the D800 will wipe the floor with the 5D Mk3.

Let us wait for the DXOMark and field reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I am just curious to know how much you got for your D700 !! I dont want to leave my D700 anytime soon, it can be a comfortable walk-around body for any situation in the most compact form.
Well, my friend and I are still haggling over it.

Later this year I may go in for a D800E as the compact body, though I love the heft of the D4. I honestly like slightly heavier equipment as it is easier to hold steady without using tripods. The D4 is much lighter than the F5 that I had!

PS - The XQD card is listed as a freebie on Nikon's site. Don't know how long that offer will continue..and yes every shipment has it

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th March 2012 at 16:52.
Old 25th March 2012, 00:16   #9485
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Today, I am a proud owner of a Canon 550D with kit (EF S18-55 IS II) Lens . I paid 38,506 for it.

I got a 16GB card + 4GB card, carry case, Hoya 58mm UV filter, Lens hood, 550D beginner's CD and a Remote as freebies

-Sajan
Old 25th March 2012, 22:23   #9486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Today, I am a proud owner of a Canon 550D with kit (EF S18-55 IS II) Lens
Congrats sanjands. Wish you lots of fun and peace of mind with your new camera kit. Search or browse through this particular thread and you will find a lot useful information on photography and your particular kit.

Cheers!
Old 25th March 2012, 22:52   #9487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamerBoy View Post

3. Some filters.

Any recommendations about a reseller in Delhi/ Gurgaon? Good price, reliable quality and ready availability.

Any suggestions would be great.

Many thanks.
I have been researching filters for a while now. Which ones are you looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
1) How good are sigma lens ? are they on par with the nikkor lens ?

2) which lens would be best suited for my usage ? (wont be using a tripod so vr or image stabilization is a must)

-----120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG APO OS HSM SIGMA

-----
150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM SIGMA

-----
50-500mm F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM SIGMA

------80-400mm F4.5-5.6 D ED NIKON VR

All of the above lens fall within my budget and don't mind the slight change in prices. Just want to get the best out of the bunch.
Personally I'm inclined towards the Sigma 150-500mm because of the reach and the price.
After a bit of research I picked up the Sigma 150-500. Haven't had any opportunity to use it so far, though.
No point trying to compare a 50k lens (Sigma 150-500) with a 400k one (Nikon 200-400) or a 530k one (Nikon 500). One has to get the best one can afford.
All the best for your purchase!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th March 2012 at 13:03. Reason: merging back to back posts. Please use edit option if posting within 30mins.
Old 26th March 2012, 08:37   #9488
Senior - BHPian

Gone through all the DSLR cameras of Nikon. I could find that none of the SLR is with in my budget range. Thinking of going for a used one. If any of our Teambhp members want to sell I would give the first preference to them. If some one can suggest a reliable website for used goods, I would be grateful to them. I realized how much I missed the DSLR during my last tour to the South East Asia. Any how I could manage with my Iphone and the quality was not up to my satisfaction.My preference is Nikon D90 or D48 in reasonable price with good condition.
Old 26th March 2012, 15:40   #9489
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats sanjands. Wish you lots of fun and peace of mind with your new camera kit. Search or browse through this particular thread and you will find a lot useful information on photography and your particular kit.

Cheers!
Thanks R2D2. Now I need to learn the basic's of this cam and its functions and then hit the forum.

-Sajan
Old 26th March 2012, 19:13   #9490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Gone through all the DSLR cameras of Nikon. I could find that none of the SLR is with in my budget range. Thinking of going for a used one. If any of our Teambhp members want to sell I would give the first preference to them. If some one can suggest a reliable website for used goods, I would be grateful to them. I realized how much I missed the DSLR during my last tour to the South East Asia. Any how I could manage with my Iphone and the quality was not up to my satisfaction.My preference is Nikon D90 or D48 in reasonable price with good condition.
For travel photography a small P&S is preferred to a DSLR, unless you you need special capability of a DSLR - low light, wide aperture, telephoto etc. Though there are a lot of photographers who pack a bag full of DSLR or MF kit for travel photography, but then it is more of a photographic expedition than travel with family.

In my opinion a 5MP+ cell phone camera does 90% of the job for travel photography, of course as long as the light is right. I have shot tens of thousands of photos with cell phone, mostly for documenting site conditions, and nothing beats the "always available" factor of a phone camera. My latest Nokia Windows phone has an excellent "Macro" capability, hard to beat in a normal DSLR without a macro lense.

We do have two DSLR - D70 and D300, but use them only on special occasions, as they have to be consciously packed and taken along.

Last edited by Aroy : 26th March 2012 at 19:17.
Old 26th March 2012, 22:03   #9491
Senior - BHPian

There is no such model in the Nikon stable. Are you by any chance referring to D40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post

My preference is Nikon D90 or D48 in reasonable price with good condition.
Old 26th March 2012, 22:53   #9492
Senior - BHPian

Aroy
It is true that we can do a lot with the Mobile phone camera. Even one of my friends commented my travel photo with my Iphone were excellent and want to go for Iphone leaving the sony format camera. I had a Sony DSC 715 a great camera and it became irreparable. I miss that Camera which served a lot. During my last visit I missed great shots of lights in Hongkong and Macau. That made me to think for the DSLR. What ever it is some rare occasions are the most important. I am a single person and always tour myself and not in travel group or Family group.Whenever I find some great places I like to spend more time and shoot. Any how let me wait and see for a used one.
Old 27th March 2012, 08:58   #9493
Senior - BHPian

I have a weird question. My dad owns a Nikon F55D, one of the last film SLR cameras from Nikon. He has a couple of lenses. Can those lenses be used with any current Nikon D-SLR like the D5100 or the D3100? If yes, is there anything that needs to be purchased to allow this?
Sorry if it's a noob question.
Thanks, Shamik
Old 27th March 2012, 11:56   #9494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
I have a weird question. My dad owns a Nikon F55D, one of the last film SLR cameras from Nikon. He has a couple of lenses. Can those lenses be used with any current Nikon D-SLR like the D5100 or the D3100? If yes, is there anything that needs to be purchased to allow this?
Sorry if it's a noob question.
Thanks, Shamik
Only AFS lenses will work i.e. AF with these bodies. To make older D lenses or earlier AF lenses work, you need a D90 or D7000 atleast or one of the older D50,D70,D200,D80,D100 or earlier bodies.
Old 27th March 2012, 15:39   #9495
BHPian

Finally,I did it.

Bought Canon 550D(Freebies:16gb card,lense cleaning kit UV filter, wired remote control).Tripod was not available,so they gave me 16 gb card+ remote.I purchased +20 Macro closeup lense from ebay.My plan was to pick a 75-300mm too.But later decided to try out with 18-55 and 35-80mm lense which I already have.Later will go for a super tele.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks