Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:49   #9466
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Guys !! I am planning to move from my brand new canon 550d to a new 60d. is it worth to change it?

The positives I am thinking is more FPS, swivel LCD and bit more strong body.. as i have got 70-200 L lens with me...
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:14   #9467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelightening View Post
Guys !! I am planning to move from my brand new canon 550d to a new 60d. is it worth to change it?

The positives I am thinking is more FPS, swivel LCD and bit more strong body.. as i have got 70-200 L lens with me...

One word. No.

Do you shoot sports or other scenarios which require high speed bursts? If yes, you can consider.

Swivel screen, agreed its an advantage. But, nothing that few a tries and tweaking in your shooting style can't do.

IMO, not worth it.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 23rd March 2012 at 14:15. Reason: Grammar
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:11   #9468
Distinguished - BHPian

The D4

Hey guys,

Got my Nikon D4 on Gudi Padwa day. My dealer said this is the 1st D4 delivery in Pune and possibly in all of MH including Mumbai (I am not sure of the MH bit). Attached is the pic of the carton on my car's seat whilst on my way home from the dealer. This camera feels substantial and like a rock even after using a D700. It sure is a beautiful piece of machinery.

Others are scheduled to get their D4s in the next 2-3 days. Prices of DSLRs, especially with video capabilities, are expected to increase shortly. So if any of you guys are planning on buying DSLRs go and get em now!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-img_0030-small.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd March 2012 at 16:13.
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:14   #9469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
Hey guys,

Got my Nikon D4 on Gudi Padwa day. My dealer said this is the 1st D4 delivery in Pune and possibly in all of MH including Mumbai (I am not sure of the MH bit). Attached is the pic of the carton on my car's seat whilst on my way home from the dealer.

Others are scheduled to get their D4s in the next 2-3 days. Prices of DSLRs, especially with video capabilities, are expected to increase shortly. So if any of you guys are planning on buying DSLRs especially models with video capabilities go and get em now!

Cheers!
Congratulations. What its the damage to the pocket ?

Any additional items purchased.for the camera ?
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:21   #9470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hey guys,

Got my Nikon D4 on Gudi Padwa day. My dealer said this is the 1st D4 delivery in Pune and possibly in all of MH including Mumbai (I am not sure of the MH bit). Attached is the pic of the carton on my car's seat whilst on my way home from the dealer. This camera feels substantial and like a rock even after using a D700. It sure is a beautiful piece of machinery.

Others are scheduled to get their D4s in the next 2-3 days. Prices of DSLRs, especially with video capabilities, are expected to increase shortly. So if any of you guys are planning on buying DSLRs go and get em now!

Cheers!
Whoo!

Congrats on getting the monster.

I presume you are the 2nd BHPain after torqueguru to get the D4!

Optimus prime and the D4 make a deadly combo. Post some sample pics soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
INR 2lakh+something.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 23rd March 2012 at 16:22.
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:55   #9471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Whoo!

Congrats on getting the monster.

I presume you are the 2nd BHPain after torqueguru to get the D4!

Optimus prime and the D4 make a deadly combo. Post some sample pics soon!
Thanks Sachin. Yes I am aware TG had booked the D4 in Jan and he may have got it by now though I am reading that the US is facing a big challenge due to the demand for this model and the D800.

And yeah, talking about OP plus this camera - that is like 4.3 Kgs of weight to lug around. Yikes! Tripod or monopod is a must. That said, it is a few ounces lighter than the D3S. Also, the D4 is an incremental step forward from the capabilities of D3S, is not a very big leap from what I read. So people with D3S can choose to skip this model and wait for the D4S or D4X whenever it comes, I think most probably in the next 18-24 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post

Any additional items purchased.for the camera ?
Thanks F150. No additional purchases yet, though I just may go in for an extra battery.

The MRP is Rs 3.25L..I get my Nikon equipment at a special price from a dealer who is well known to me.
Old 23rd March 2012, 19:33   #9472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
..Got my Nikon D4 on Gudi Padwa day. My dealer said this is the 1st D4 delivery in Pune and possibly in all of MH including Mumbai ........
Congratulations !!!! It can not go without a treat now, let me see when I can make it to Pune I had around 3 friends who pre-booked in Mumbai, not sure if they received already.

Quote:
.....I am aware TG had booked the D4 in Jan and he may have got it by now......The MRP is Rs 3.25L..I get my Nikon equipment at a special price from a dealer who is well known to me.
He has not mentioned anywhere about receiving it. I estimated around 3lk considering the 6k US$, lot of Indian online sites offer very similar US prices for most of the bodies and lenses, how this is priced higher ?

According to my expectation of personal growth level, I prefer to buy a D4 over a D800, hopefully I should get one this year itself, fingers crossed !!
Old 23rd March 2012, 20:59   #9473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Congratulations !!!! It can not go without a treat now, let me see when I can make it to Pune I had around 3 friends who pre-booked in Mumbai, not sure if they received already.
Thanks Shaju. And when you are in Pune do contact me. we could certainly meet up! :-)

Quote:
He has not mentioned anywhere about receiving it. I estimated around 3lk considering the 6k US$, lot of Indian online sites offer very similar US prices for most of the bodies and lenses, how this is priced higher ?
The price (3.25L) is MRP on Nikon India's site. As for the local prices at sites - most dealers have been selling at very near MRP - max 2-5% less. For e.g. Smartshoppers lists the D3S for 2.81L (MRP 2.89L). I have seen this trend after last year's earthquake in Japan. In fact even US prices have increased because Nikon USA has changed their rules in Q3 calendar 2011 - dealers cannot offer discounts, only freebies. So a lens costing 2500 USD will be sold at 2500 USD but with filters etc thrown in.

Quote:
According to my expectation of personal growth level, I prefer to buy a D4 over a D800, hopefully I should get one this year itself, fingers crossed !!
That would be good mate! But hurry coz prices are going to increase supposedly by 14% on DSLRs. In case of the D4 it will translate to ~45K. That is a big increase!

I had a tough time deciding between the D800 and the D4. I decided high MP was not my game today. I may go in for a D800 at a later stage as a 2nd body.

Honestly after using a F5 years ago I was keen to experience the Nikon professional range again. The D4 focuses perfectly in -2EV i.e. moonlight. Fabulous!
Old 23rd March 2012, 21:33   #9474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......hurry coz prices are going to increase supposedly by 14% on DSLRs. In case of the D4 it will translate to ~45K. That is a big increase......had a tough time deciding between the D800 and the D4. I decided high MP was not my game today. I may go in for a D800 at a later stage as a 2nd body.
I can not hurry anyway, just splurged 1.24 lk on a MacBook Pro few days back, went for a printer cartridge and came back home with a MBpro, how weird it can be, I still cant believe I did that !!!! I should sue HDFC bank for spoiling me with their worldmaster and a credit limit that can buy a sedan

Anyway, as you said, I cant see myself buying a D800 by any chance, I dont even need half of that resolution !! So, if everything goes well, its D4 all the way. Dont forget to post some images that stands out from the usual. Enjoy your ownership, its a piece of beauty to own.
Old 23rd March 2012, 22:00   #9475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I can not hurry anyway, just splurged 1.24 lk on a MacBook Pro few days back, I should sue HDFC bank for spoiling me with their worldmaster and a credit limit that can buy a sedan .
The MBPro is a beauty! My bro has a 17" one with a SSD and what a gorgeous laptop it is. Congrats Shaju.

As for the credit limit, remember banks want to you to spend. They earn more money that way. Be careful is all I will say...having given into temptation many years ago and repaid.

Quote:
So, if everything goes well, its D4 all the way. Dont forget to post some images that stands out from the usual. Enjoy your ownership, its a piece of beauty to own.
Sure buddy. Let me get my head around this camera. It is a different machine to my D700 and previous pro film SLR bodies..the F5 and F100. I feel elated today owning a flagship Nikon after many years. Thanks!

Cheers!
Old 23rd March 2012, 23:27   #9476
BHPian

Congrats R2D2 , on getting the D4. You also got the XQD 16GB card and card reader with it , I see. I read somewhere only NPS members would be getting it, but later it read it was for D4 shipments, since the card is not out in the markets yet in sufficient numbers. Hoping to see sample images soon.

You don't/didn't have a D3S , did you ? Most interested in how it performs at high ISO, though as with expensive cars, I'm not about to buy another DSLR anytime soon !

EDIT : ah yes, I remember now, you sold off the D700 right ? I really hope for a D700S (D3S sensor) at a mouthwatering price, that might tempt me to go full frame, but that is too optimistic. The score given is overall, not ISO , the D4 scores higher 2965 , vs the D800s 2853. DXO's ratings sometimes are at odds sometimes , like the D5000 scoring much lower than D90 in ISO score.

Last edited by Ricci : 23rd March 2012 at 23:57.
Old 23rd March 2012, 23:42   #9477
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Congrats R2D2 , on getting the D4. You also got the XQD 16GB card and card reader with it , I see. I read somewhere only NPS members would be getting it, but later it read it was for D4 shipments, since the card is not out in the markets yet in sufficient numbers. Hoping to see sample images soon.

You don't/didn't have a D3S , did you ? Most interested in how it performs at high ISO, though as with expensive cars, I'm not about to buy another DSLR anytime soon !
Thanks Ricci. The XQD card is a complimentary offer by Nikon..mostly to popularise the new format that has been approved by the CF Association. It is included with all D4 shipments from what I have read.

No, I didnt own a D3S but a D700..I have not made any comparisons between the two in low light photography, but I am sure the D4 outclasses the D700 as it is a successor to the D3S, the benchmark. As for D4 v/s D3S I rely on internet sites for enlightenment from photogs far more experienced than me.

The D4 has scored very high in the DXO tests overall. But as per today's report at DXOMark, the D800 is the new low light king!! It has beaten the D4 to stand at the top of the heap. Bravo Nikon!

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/New...-a-score-of-95

Wonder when the comparisons with the 5D Mk 3 and EOS 1Dx will be out.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd March 2012 at 23:44.
Old 24th March 2012, 00:07   #9478
BHPian

Help needed!

Dear bhpians.

I am looking for some spares for my Canon cameras. I need

1. An eye piece for my 60D. Lost it while covering an event.

2. Battery charger for 600D. The one that I got with my camera went kaput due to Voltage spike.

3. Some filters.

Any recommendations about a reseller in Delhi/ Gurgaon? Good price, reliable quality and ready availability.

Any suggestions would be great.

Many thanks.
Old 24th March 2012, 01:13   #9479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Nex-5N! It's not the EVIL king but it's an impressive camera. Good choice - if you like smaller cameras for their portability factor, you are going to love the acquisition considering the output it can give you.
Thanks clevermax. But does it justify the 1000 USD for which it is retailing in the US? A D3100 should come in a lot cheaper, right?

How about the maintainability aspect?
Old 24th March 2012, 02:23   #9480
BHPian

Re: The D4

Quote:
Hey guys,

Got my Nikon D4 on Gudi Padwa day. My dealer said this is the 1st D4 delivery in Pune and possibly in all of MH including Mumbai (I am not sure of the MH bit).
Cheers!
Hey R2D2, congratulations.
To start with you will have to post some images of the beuty eager to see whats inside that box.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks