Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 13:04   #9421
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Ok Guys.Thanks.

Update: I visited Canon showroom in indira nagar,Bangalore on saturday and Reliance Electronics too.

In Canon Showroom:
550D+18-55 ISII lens = 38780/-
Goodies : Tripod+8GB card+Hoya UV filter+Lens cleaning kit(Dont ask me much details about the quality of goodies,as I didnt see them personally)

In Reliance electronics:

550D+18-55 IS II =38750/-
Goodies : Mono pod+Reebok sunglass+HDMI cable+4gb Card

without Goodies 550D+18-55 IS II =37600/-

Please,share me your views.
Old 19th March 2012, 13:44   #9422
Senior - BHPian

^^4GB card comes standard with the camera, so don't count it under goodies. I don't see much value in the Reliance deal w.r.t the Canon showroom deal.

I would say go for the deal with Canon Showroom. Just make sure they give you a decent tripod.
Old 19th March 2012, 13:49   #9423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
My friend's camcorder has stopped working. He was looking DSLR for sometime. He has shorlisted these (which he says does both digital & video best)
1) Sony SLT-A65V ($900)
2) Tamron 18-270mm lens ($600)
Together they come to Rs 75K. He does mainly photography & occasional video. Is there any cheaper alternative?
If he can live with a few less mega pixels, then A55 without kit lens would be cheaper than 900$. And talking about A55, there is no big difference between A35 and A55. Both have the same sensor and and almost identical body and firmware except the articulated LCD.

In this league, SLT is a good choice for movie recording because of the availability of continuous phase detection AF during shooting.

A57 is also around which is very close to A65 as per reviews. It's got a 16MP sensor though.

If you are buying from India, make it soon - 14% increase foreseen for DSLR prices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
EDIT: I had a pre-production release of the Fuji X-Pro1 with me for couple of days. What a camera! Blew me away. If I had the money, that is what I would be upgrading to. Here's a brief review:
http://www.jjmehta.com/forum/index.p...c,17398.0.html

I am yet to upload photographs as it's a pain to use Silky Pix Pro :(. I wouldn't mind waiting for Adobe to start supporting the RAW files from X-Pro1 than use some other software.
Looking forward to see some pictures with that, if possible one original file also! What's your feedback on the dial based operation? (Couldn't read the review as the site is blocked :( )

Last edited by clevermax : 19th March 2012 at 13:55.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:16   #9424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Looking forward to see some pictures with that, if possible one original file also! What's your feedback on the dial based operation? (Couldn't read the review as the site is blocked :( )
Will try and upload the original files itself. Editing is a pain for now. The dial based operation was really neat. Everything was at my finger tips, so to speak. The shutter-speed had a dial, aperture can be changed using the ring, and EV had another dial. Really enjoyed using the camera and it felt very nice in the hand.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:21   #9425
BHPian

I am considering a NEX-5N after all the good reviews I've been reading about it all around. The other options are Nikon D3100 or Nikon D5100. The NEX impresses me with its portability factor.

But, the Nikon dSLRs I mentioned are in its own league. Help me decide, pls.

I'm not too keen about a zoom lens, but an entry level wide lens will be great!
Old 19th March 2012, 14:54   #9426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
It'll be definitely prestigious to own OM-D (unless it is seen everywhere) , not sure about the E-P3 though.
I am actually quite skeptical about all the hype surrounding it. But the images released by DPReview look quite impressive.

Just Posted: Olympus OM-D E-M5 test samples: Digital Photography Review
Old 19th March 2012, 15:28   #9427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I am actually quite skeptical about all the hype surrounding it. But the images released by DPReview look quite impressive.

Just Posted: Olympus OM-D E-M5 test samples: Digital Photography Review
Yep, even Robin Wong had posted some photographs on his blog which surprised me. The DR and noise performance looked very very impressive. But, only time will tell. Olympus has been claiming new sensor on it, but an informal test done on mu-43 revealed that the sensor could be the same as the one on G3. Only time will tell us.

I really like the way G1 feels in my hand, I just hope the OM-D with its grip gives a similar feel. That would make me a very happy man.
Old 19th March 2012, 16:17   #9428
BHPian

Got a 5d Mk2 with 24-105+ 50 f1.4.
1. Need a competitively priced, but sharp tele. What aboutTamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC ?A nearest Canon 300 is 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM, is double the cost, and use of this one is limited to when you go wild life.
Any cheap and best option; AF-able third party lens is ok.

2. Also need a wide, better than 24.(Or do I need, 24 is enough?).
How good isTamron 10-24/3.5-4.5 Di II?
Any other option?

(I am no studio, wedding. Hobby freelancer. Mainly landscapes, nature, art-copying etc.)

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th March 2012 at 21:15. Reason: Please read the MOD note in your post, thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 18:30   #9429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunney View Post
Got a 5d Mk2 with 24-105+ 50 f1.4.
1. Need a competitively priced, but sharp tele. What aboutTamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC ?A nearest Canon 300 is 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM, is double the cost, and use of this one is limited to when you go wild life.
Any cheap and best option; AF-able third party lens is ok.

2. Also need a wide, better than 24.(Or do I need, 24 is enough?).
How good isTamron 10-24/3.5-4.5 Di II?
Any other option?
Did we meet yesterday? (If you were shooting an event near Oachira, Kerala) Your name (Assuming from tbhp id) & the camera matches the person I met

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
I am considering a NEX-5N after all the good reviews I've been reading about it all around. The other options are Nikon D3100 or Nikon D5100. The NEX impresses me with its portability factor.
But, the Nikon dSLRs I mentioned are in its own league. Help me decide, pls.
I'm not too keen about a zoom lens, but an entry level wide lens will be great!
Nex-5N! It's not the EVIL king but it's an impressive camera. Good choice - if you like smaller cameras for their portability factor, you are going to love the acquisition considering the output it can give you.

Last edited by clevermax : 19th March 2012 at 18:35.
Old 19th March 2012, 19:01   #9430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
^^4GB card comes standard with the camera, so don't count it under goodies. I don't see much value in the Reliance deal w.r.t the Canon showroom deal.

I would say go for the deal with Canon Showroom. Just make sure they give you a decent tripod.
These Cards are apart from what is there in kit.So if I go for Canon show room,it is 4+8 gb and reliance is 4+4 gb.
Old 19th March 2012, 21:20   #9431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Did we meet yesterday? (If you were shooting an event near Oachira, Kerala) Your name (Assuming from tbhp id) & the camera matches the person I met .
Unfortunately no, though I would have liked to meet another BHPIan lensman...
I am a hobbyist in photography; from another industry, say advertising, designing, printing.

I am rather new to lenses, hence my queries...

Howsoever, I invite you to our next or any Mini Meets in Cochin, I got a more valuable friendship - A BHPian friend in PHOTOGRAPHY.

Taking your time, pls advice me on my query on lenses.
Old 19th March 2012, 21:25   #9432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Ok Guys.Thanks.

Update: I visited Canon showroom in indira nagar,Bangalore on saturday and Reliance Electronics too.

In Canon Showroom:
550D+18-55 ISII lens = 38780/-
Goodies : Tripod+8GB card+Hoya UV filter+Lens cleaning kit(Dont ask me much details about the quality of goodies,as I didnt see them personally)

In Reliance electronics:

550D+18-55 IS II =38750/-
Goodies : Mono pod+Reebok sunglass+HDMI cable+4gb Card

without Goodies 550D+18-55 IS II =37600/-

Please,share me your views.
Try to haggle around with the price at Canon showroom instead of 8gb card try to squeeze in 16gb
i did the same although in Mumbai and got the same kit with goodies for same price as yours and quality of goodies is good.

And also ask for starter DVD from canon which has all the features of cam described in a nice documentary.

DONT BUY from reliance.
Old 19th March 2012, 21:27   #9433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
The 'Quick Release Plate' is missing. You should be able to find the compatible plate on ebay.
Yes, that is correct. Better buy a Vanguard compatible one, most of them will.
(Before buying, just check if the 'thingy' is sticking safely at bottom of your "Black box', smiling at you)
Old 20th March 2012, 00:30   #9434
Senior - BHPian

Where in Delhi can I pick up a good Nikkor AF-S DX 35 mm f/1.8G? will I get a better bargain there or should I pick up one in Bangalore itself? It's for my D3100.
Old 20th March 2012, 09:16   #9435
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a Nikon D7000 with its kit lens of 18-105mm . Now I am going to a wildlfe safari with family and I am planning to invest in a telephoto zoom lens.

I have a few queries on my mind and would definitely like them to get clarified.

1) How good are sigma lens ? are they on par with the nikkor lens ?

2) which lens would be best suited for my usage ? (wont be using a tripod so vr or image stabilization is a must)

-----120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG APO OS HSM SIGMA

-----
150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM SIGMA

-----
50-500mm F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM SIGMA

------80-400mm F4.5-5.6 D ED NIKON VR

All of the above lens fall within my budget and don't mind the slight change in prices. Just want to get the best out of the bunch.
Personally I'm inclined towards the Sigma 150-500mm because of the reach and the price.

Would love a fixed f value lens but these are simply out of my budget and moreover when we use a teleconverter i lose the optical stabilization function.

If there are any other lens options that I have overlooked please do tell me .

Ideally I'm looking for something within 2000 US $.

Appreciate the help in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks