Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 11:59   #9361
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Well, I finally got my hand on the Canon 550D with the lens kit (EF-S 18-55mm Lens). I also purchased Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS -II Telephoto Zoom Lens. This is my first DSLR and i am trying to get comfortable with the camera itself. Thanks for all inputs received on this forum which made my decision making easy.
Cost:
36.5 K for 550D+ 18-55mm lens+ battery with all standard accessories and 4GB card
15K for 55-250mm lens
Free: Bag + 16GB card + 2 UV filters + 2 hoods+ Lens cleaning kit

My bargaining skills are pathetic; have i paid more ???
Why EF-S lens and not a EF for the 55-250?

Last edited by srishiva : 12th March 2012 at 12:01.
Old 12th March 2012, 12:43   #9362
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Images at F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
3rd image is the sun partially covered against the wall. What is your suggeation, should I pay 55k for it?

Pawan if it were me in your place, I wouldn't touch it. Even looking at those scratches in the photo you uploaded is depressing. But that's just me.

Sigh! To think this could happen to a gorgeous lens. Some lenses are like works of art!

But @ Rs 55K if you can live with the obvious negatives and questionable resale value (when you want to sell it off one day), then by all means go ahead. Like I said before the flare can be corrected during PP.

Also, why don't you get a quote from Canon for a front element replacement - if only out of curiosity. It won't be cheap but once done you will have a lens as good as new. I assume other mechanical and optical aspects have been checked and working as per specs.

IMHO buying this lens at 55K gives you a small budget to indulge in repair work that can set it right.

Cheers!
Old 12th March 2012, 12:51   #9363
BHPian

I am a newbie to DSLRs. I want one with minimum damage to my pocket.

I was considering Sony DSLR-A290Y. This was the cheapest DSLR I could find. The specs are here: DSLR-A290Y : DSLR-A290 : SLT & DSLR Camera (A-mount) : Sony India

The MRP on the website is 26K for Camera Included with SAL1855 all-purpose lens and SAL55200-2 telephoto zoom lens.

Will the all-purpose lens be enough? Do I require the zoom lens?

FYI: the cost the camera with the all-purpose lens is 20K.

Can experts please advise?
Old 12th March 2012, 13:19   #9364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut

I was considering Sony dsLR-A290Y. This was the cheapest DSLR I could find. The specs are here: DSLR-A290Y : DSLR-A290 : SLT & DSLR Camera (A-mount) : Sony India

The MRP on the website is 26K for Camera Included with SAL1855 all-purpose lens and SAL55200-2 telephoto zoom lens.

Sony discontinued the production of ALL their DSLRs and 2xx series of cameras were one of the first to go out. Whether you require the zoom lens or not - is upto you.

Our member Nutty Nair uses this 290Y. You can drop him a Pm to get more details.

I was a user of Alpha 200, which was one of the best entry level DSLRs. The Sony body, coupled with Minolta lenses was a kickass combination.

Last edited by clevermax : 12th March 2012 at 13:41.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 18:54   #9365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Also, why don't you get a quote from Canon for a front element replacement - if only out of curiosity. It won't be cheap but once done you will have a lens as good as new. I assume other mechanical and optical aspects have been checked and working as per specs.

IMHO buying this lens at 55K gives you a small budget to indulge in repair work that can set it right.

Cheers!
Hi, Thanks for good suggestion. I asked at Canon, front element will cost 12k and replacement 3k, so total 15k if I replace front element. It will cost me 70k and lens will be like new.
Old 12th March 2012, 20:03   #9366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Hi, Thanks for good suggestion. I asked at Canon, front element will cost 12k and replacement 3k, so total 15k if I replace front element. It will cost me 70k and lens will be like new.
Great - what's the cost of a new lens i.e. the latest version of this particular model? There are 3 models of the 70-200 listed with one of them having no price indicated against it.

Assuming thats the discontinued model i.e. the one your friend is selling, a comparable unit is listed at 89K and the latest and greatest is about 1.48L. The IS II version is fully compatible with extenders/teleconverters (AF works) and comes with a dust/water resistant body.

You may want to check the price of the less expensive IS-I version at a dealer and compare it with the cost of this second hand unit that is w/o warranty and then make a final decision.

If you decide to buy from your friend and get the lens repaired make sure that you give the lens to Canon's service centre (Master Service Centre in Mumbai) and not their authorised service agents who in my NOT so humble opinion can't be trusted with opening lenses.

Let us know what happens

Cheers!
Old 12th March 2012, 21:11   #9367
BHPian

My latest acquisition Canon EOS 550D

My latest acquisition Canon EOS D550

After months of contemplating on buying a DSLR and that too trying to make a difficult choice between the Nikon and Canon, I finally decided to buy a Canon after checking with my friends and taking their opnion on the same, I also did a lot of research on the Internet on Canon, Canon accessories are cheaper than Nikon's and are easily available, I am not a professional photographer but I love photography and needed something better than a Point and shoot camera.

A good P&S camera would have cost me around 20k so I decided to put in an additional of 30k and buy myself a Canon 550 with 18-55 kit and a 55-250 lens. Both have built in Image Stabilizer and Auto focus which is very helpful for some some people like us who dont have steady hands + have the flexibility of setting the exposure modes manually.

NOW THE BUYING EXPERIENCE.

Couple of months back had gone to Vijay Sales in the Home Center at the Shppers Stop in the Inorbit Mall, had a look at the

camera, the sales guy was able to give me a few details on the camera and the price and told me about the offer that was

going on at that time that I would get a Camera Case, a cleaning kit and a UV filter along with the purchase as they could not directrly offer me a discount on the the price. A similar offer was also going on at the Shoppers Stop Camera kiosk.

I decided to wait a couple of months hoping that the price would drop and then that would also give me some time to study the features of the camera on the Internet.

A couple of days back I returned to Vijay Sales in the Home center and inquired about the camera again, this time there was a different guy who told me that there were no offers going on in the form of discounts and tried to explain to me the technical features of the camera (doing his sales talk and convincing me into buying it) one of the things he mentioned which irritated me was "there are 2 lenses in the camera" I said "what? 2 lenses? what 2 lenses?" so he removes the lens and shows me the mirror, I said this is not a lens this is the reflex mirror, yea but he says this is like a lens, I didnt say anything, there was no point in talking to a guy who dosent know what he is selling, so I said thank you and walked out.

I then went to Hypercity, the sales guy there told me that they would give me a 3000 Rs gift voucher + camera case, when I asked him some technical info on the camera he politely said he didnt know. I walked out of there too, though I had read about the features of the camera on the Internet I needed someone to explain to me the features again, my next visit would be the Canon Brand shop in Andheri.

I called up the Canon shop and talked with Mr. Ashwin. I asked him about offers, he said he would give me a Tripod and an 8 GB card as a discount on the camera, he said he would ask his sales guy in the shop to contact me, propmtly withing 5 minutes I received a call from the showroom, I told them I would be there that afternoon.

The buying experience at Canon also was not as I expected, I was hoping to meet trained sales people at the showroom who would explain to me every detail of the camera but to my surprise these guys too were ignorant of the features of the camera,
he could not explain how to check the depth of field when I asked him, and whenever I asked him something he would tell me something else, one of them was trying to sell me a SDHC 8 Gb Class 10 memory card instead of the classs 4 memory card that they were supposed to give me free, I asked him what is the difference between class 10 and class 4 he says class 10 will hold more data, I looked at the price, the difference was around 2000 Rs, common sense tells me that these guys either dont know what they are talking about or they are trying to fool me, how can both 8GB cards have different storage capacities? so I didnt fall victim to his sales talk and decide not to buy the class 10 card. ( The difference between Class 4 and Class 10 is the access speed not capacity.)

Then I asked him what software comes with the camera, he says you will not need the software, but I had read on the Internet that it comes with some useful softwares like the EOS Utility, Zoom Browser, Digital Photo Pro, Photo Stitch etc.

Since I had done enough research on the camera on the Internet and was impressed with its features, I thought it was value for money, I didnt have to depend on the ignorant salesmen to give me any more sense less info, these people are just not capable or trained, I dont know why Canon does not train them before they put them in such positions? The best thing to do is do the study and research yourself before buying anything, the Internet is a world of free knowledge where you can get everything you need.

Anyway not wasting any time getting useless info from the sales guys I finally paid the Rs 38795 for the camera which came with a Canon Zoom Lens EF-S18-55 + Rs 16480 for a S55-250 zoom lens a total amount of Rs 55275, in addition to this I got 2 UV filters and an 8GB class 4 memory card and a camera case as a discount.

I just couldnt wait till I reached home and started clicking away, It is an excellent camera and worth the price, the pictures are crystal clear, the camera is easy to use and it is definately VFM. I am very happy with the purchase. I have uploaded a couple of pics taken by the camera on the first day.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-img_0079.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 13th March 2012, 01:15   #9368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I was considering Sony DSLR-A290Y. This was the cheapest DSLR I could find. The specs are here: DSLR-A290Y : DSLR-A290 : SLT & DSLR Camera (A-mount) : Sony India

I'm no expert but if you have someone visiting from the US, then this is your best bet: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...LR_Camera.html

The D5000 is a very competent camera. I guess would beat any entry level DSLR. Add a refurb 18-55 and 55-300 and you're all set.
Old 13th March 2012, 02:55   #9369
BHPian

Guys,

I am planning to order this one, am not sure whether this is an IS model. Please let me know if this one has image stabilization.
Amazon.com: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Electronics
Old 13th March 2012, 04:29   #9370
BHPian

Re: My latest acquisition Canon EOS 550D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssadwelkar View Post

I just couldnt wait till I reached home and started clicking away, It is an excellent camera and worth the price, the pictures are crystal clear, the camera is easy to use and it is definately VFM. I am very happy with the purchase. I have uploaded a couple of pics taken by the camera on the first day.
Congrats ssadwelkar! Its a competant camera and will serve you well. Do share more pics on the non-auto image thread on the forum.
C300 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 08:52   #9371
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssadwelkar View Post
Congratulations and wish you many happy photo shooting sessions with your new camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Guys,

I am planning to order this one, am not sure whether this is an IS model. Please let me know if this one has image stabilization.
Amazon.com: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras: Electronics
No, it does not.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 09:36   #9372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Guys,

The only good thing about this is that its inexpensive. If you really want something similar look at this
Amazon.com: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

On flipkart its about 38K I think.
Old 13th March 2012, 10:04   #9373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The only good thing about this is that its inexpensive. If you really want something similar look at this
Amazon.com: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

On flipkart its about 38K I think.
But isn't the one gopinath is reffering to in the amazon website much much cheaper? at $176 it sounds like very good VFM. Can you throw some light on what are the advantages of the 38k lens you have mentioned here?
Old 13th March 2012, 10:23   #9374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Sony discontinued the production of ALL their DSLRs and 2xx series of cameras were one of the first to go out. Whether you require the zoom lens or not - is upto you.

Our member Nutty Nair uses this 290Y. You can drop him a Pm to get more details.

I was a user of Alpha 200, which was one of the best entry level DSLRs. The Sony body, coupled with Minolta lenses was a kickass combination.
If sony DSLRs are out of produciton. Which entry level DSLR would you suggest me in a low budget?
Old 13th March 2012, 10:26   #9375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If sony DSLRs are out of produciton. Which entry level DSLR would you suggest me in a low budget?
Sony stopped their DSLRs and moved onto DSLTs. They are very much like DSLRs so you can still consider a Sony, but the every level ones are bit expensive than similar models from Canikons, and yes they pack few more features and couple more mega pixels and yes, an LCD panel which is way better.

The entry level DSLT was A35, but now Sony UK site has listed that also as 'previous' model - something else is cooking. Heard about some A37. You can still buy A35 in India, i got mine for around 33K, with only the 18-55mm lens. Sony India lists the price as 36k or so. I presume this is out of your budget so i suggest Canon 1100D with 18-55mm lens for you.

Last edited by clevermax : 13th March 2012 at 10:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks