Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 13:56   #9151
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hi Guys,

I am in big trouble. I am planning to buy a DSLR.
Two options:
1) Canon 550D.
2) Nikon D5100.

My head says canon as it is cheaper and has some advantages over the nikon one. My heart says nikon as I have used a nikon d3000 for a month. I like the interface plus what I have read is that Nikon has slightly better picture quality and low light performance.

I am newbie and want to explore photography. But I have used the Nikon d3000 in manual mode for a month.

Some questions:
1) Is Nikon better picture quality and better low light performance worth extra 10K?
2) Canon has an advantage in terms of an inbuilt motor for autofocusing lenses. Are there good and cheap lenses which does not have autofocussing motors for canon. if yes please share some examples.
3) Nikon stocks seem to be a big problem as because of thailand floods there production is hit. Please share any please where I can find some good deals on Nikon.
4) Movie Modes is not much of criteria for me. I am looking more in terms of Still Photography.

Please share suggestions early as the deadline for offer on ebay lasts till tomorrow.

Thanks in advance
This exact question was asked in another photography related thread and this is what i wrote taking into account what i had read in the jan issue of "better photography" mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackparag
Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a digital slr camera and my budget is around 40k. Need inputs on what will be the best bet. Mind you, I am a beginner and have absolutely no clue on photography. All that I am familiar with are these sony point and shoot cameras.

Must say, I liked the looks of the Nikon D5100 , is that a good camera?
:

I have a copy of "better photography" jan 2012 edition where they have listed the top 30 cameras based on each and every budget starting from Rs. 5,000 all the way up to 5.25 lakhs. and this is what the mag says about the following models you are considering

Canon EOS 550D released Feb 2010

"Who should buy it? A canon D7 user who wants a backup body.

Why: While the image quality is not the best in its class it can be a true performer when paired with good quality lenses."

Nikon D5100 released April 2011

"Who should buy it: Hoddyists who demand good quality image quality at ISO 6400 (this basically means good performance in low light).

why: its image quality is as good as the much more expenisve Nikon D7000. Drawback listed was that it is not compatable with non-AF-S lenses. It is the best DSLR under Rs. 50,000."

After reading the above, and also considering the Nikon D5100 is the newer of the two, i would pick the nikon. Supply constraints that you have mentioned should start to stabilise in the coming months.

"

Last edited by amrisharm : 31st January 2012 at 14:01.
Old 31st January 2012, 14:27   #9152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am in big trouble. I am planning to buy a DSLR.
Two options:
1) Canon 550D.
2) Nikon D5100.

My head says canon as it is cheaper and has some advantages over the nikon one.

2) Canon has an advantage in terms of an inbuilt motor for autofocusing lenses. Are there good and cheap lenses which does not have autofocussing motors for canon. if yes please share some examples.

Please share suggestions early as the deadline for offer on ebay lasts till tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

Go with your head on this one. I would suggest go in for the Canon. (Even though I have the Nikon D5000). The main advantage is that you will get a horde of lenses available for the Canon. Lenses for Nikon are there; but if you go for Nikon lenses, they are costly and few; if you go for third party lenses there are some limited options available for Nikon (those that will autofocus).

Since the Nikon won't autofocus (no inbuilt motor), this seriously restricts the choice of lenses. The Canon also won't have an inbuilt motor, but the advantage is that the EF lenses may have an inbuilt motor themselves (Canon experts, please clarify). So you will get a huge choice of lenses as compared to the Nikon.
Old 31st January 2012, 14:52   #9153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
This exact question was asked in another photography related thread and this is what i wrote taking into account what i had read in the jan issue of "better photography" mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackparag
Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a digital slr camera and my budget is around 40k. Need inputs on what will be the best bet. Mind you, I am a beginner and have absolutely no clue on photography. All that I am familiar with are these sony point and shoot cameras.

Must say, I liked the looks of the Nikon D5100 , is that a good camera?
:

I have a copy of "better photography" jan 2012 edition where they have listed the top 30 cameras based on each and every budget starting from Rs. 5,000 all the way up to 5.25 lakhs. and this is what the mag says about the following models you are considering

Canon EOS 550D released Feb 2010

"Who should buy it? A canon D7 user who wants a backup body.

Why: While the image quality is not the best in its class it can be a true performer when paired with good quality lenses."

Nikon D5100 released April 2011

"Who should buy it: Hoddyists who demand good quality image quality at ISO 6400 (this basically means good performance in low light).

why: its image quality is as good as the much more expenisve Nikon D7000. Drawback listed was that it is not compatable with non-AF-S lenses. It is the best DSLR under Rs. 50,000."

After reading the above, and also considering the Nikon D5100 is the newer of the two, i would pick the nikon. Supply constraints that you have mentioned should start to stabilise in the coming months.

"
Thanks for the reply amrisharm. Actually my heart is also going for Nikon D5100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Go with your head on this one. I would suggest go in for the Canon. (Even though I have the Nikon D5000). The main advantage is that you will get a horde of lenses available for the Canon. Lenses for Nikon are there; but if you go for Nikon lenses, they are costly and few; if you go for third party lenses there are some limited options available for Nikon (those that will autofocus).

Since the Nikon won't autofocus (no inbuilt motor), this seriously restricts the choice of lenses. The Canon also won't have an inbuilt motor, but the advantage is that the EF lenses may have an inbuilt motor themselves (Canon experts, please clarify). So you will get a huge choice of lenses as compared to the Nikon.
Thanks for the reply WAG7. Actually I might not be buying a lot of lenses. Plus the ones that I might buy have Inbuilt focussing motors for Nikon. Hence I am considering the Nikon. Also I am more of a casual photographer and most of the times will be clicking my wife indoors. For low light conditions I guess Nikon is slightly better. Plus I have been using a Nikon D3000 for a month and I am in love with the UI of Nikon. Although it is slower to navigate than the Canons but somehow like the looks of it.

But really thanks for the reply. Hopefully I get any one of these soon.
Old 31st January 2012, 19:44   #9154
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Got the Nikon D5100 today. I got it for 41,500 on Credit Card.
I know the price is slightly higher but these days it is hard to find Nikon DSLRs so I am happy that I could find one.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and advices.

CHEERS
Old 31st January 2012, 20:24   #9155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Got the Nikon D5100 today. I got it for 41,500 on Credit Card.
I know the price is slightly higher but these days it is hard to find Nikon DSLRs so I am happy that I could find one.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and advices.

CHEERS
From which outlet you got it?
Old 31st January 2012, 20:35   #9156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
From which outlet you got it?
I got it from Kumar Jee Electronics in DT City Center mall (2nd Floor). Of all the research I could do this guy offered the best price and accepted Credit Card also. He is listed on Nikon's website also as Authorised delear. I got his number from there only.

On a side note. I dont see your Ninja250R in your signature.
Old 31st January 2012, 21:16   #9157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a side note. I dont see your Ninja250R in your signature.
Off Topic

You misunderstood.

Rahul Chokravarti = XBHP's bluevolt who owns the Ninja. I am Anmol Sharma = Team-BHP's bluevolt.
Old 1st February 2012, 15:41   #9158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Off Topic

You misunderstood.

Rahul Chokravarti = XBHP's bluevolt who owns the Ninja. I am Anmol Sharma = Team-BHP's bluevolt.
Oh I am Sorry!! My Bad!!
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:44   #9159
Senior - BHPian

I was recently in Delhi and at every metro station, I was pulled up as my D3100 appeared to be an automatic pistol to the security guys. Thank god I did not take my tripod. Does this happen to everyone?
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:48   #9160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I was recently in Delhi and at every metro station, I was pulled up as my D3100 appeared to be an automatic pistol to the security guys. Thank god I did not take my tripod. Does this happen to everyone?
I have taken my camera bag thru airports and railway stations without problems. The fact that the metro is an enclosed space may make it a target for terrorists and that is probably the reason why they checked your camera. Also, do remember that some railway stations and airports have restrictions on photography.
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:24   #9161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Camera and photography is strictly not allowed in Delhi metro stations/trains. In 2003 I took a photo with my mobile phone and that too was snatched by security guys and photo was deleted (I was in school then).

Cameras/photography are also not allowed in army airports like Jammu airport. However it is allowed at Delhi airport.
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:18   #9162
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone heard about the macro lens adapter/converter kit? I came across 2 different friends recommending the same to convert a normal lens into macro lens or something.
Old 2nd February 2012, 18:06   #9163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Has anyone heard about the macro lens adapter/converter kit? I came across 2 different friends recommending the same to convert a normal lens into macro lens or something.
There is DCR250 macro converter which can be fixed to any lens.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2012, 18:40   #9164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
There is DCR250 macro converter which can be fixed to any lens.
Thanks for this, I was looking for something similar for my Nikon D40X and I am looking for wide angle converter. I see there are couple of wide angle converters available but its really confusing which is reliable and good
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:45   #9165
Senior - BHPian

Foam Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Has anyone heard about the macro lens adapter/converter kit? ....
I just sold an original Nikon converter 2 weeks back for a throw away price, ( had got it free ) since I have a macro lens ! You will get it in most camera accessory shops, get any cheaper make, it does not make any difference to the image, because its just doing the duty of our hand holding the lens in reverse.

I need some help from friends here. Any of you know where I can get the foam paper. Want to make a DIY flash bouncer card. In US its sold as 'creatology fun foam' through Michael's stores used for crafts. Its also known as 'Fun Foam', 'Foamy paper' etc. Usually comes in 12x18 size.

A branded flash bouncer is sold from $20 upwards. If I get the material here, DIY will be around Rs.200. I dont mind making in bulk and getting rich overnight too
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks