Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 09:03   #8956
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Anybody got OLYMPUS E-510? Have you faced any power module problem?

My E510 had an issue last year and had to replace power module and it costed me 7k. Seems like the issue has returned.

The symptoms: every second or third shot camera hangs and the memorey light keeps glowing for ever until I switch off & on. And again two or three shots later it hangs.

I have checked with different MC all formatted on the camera, I have tried different battery units & different lenses - no Luck!

Going to the service center today :(
Old 7th December 2011, 14:30   #8957
BHPian

How to loose Rs 1361 in 10 secs ??

Well was trying to clean the viewfinder because I saw some insignificant dust particle on it, opened the DSLR, I mean just the lens not even all or any of the screws, just below the "penta" is this part, (guess its the focusing plate or some such thing)

The DSLR Thread-viewfinder.jpg

used a brush to wipe of the dust Woah ! its clean, turn the cam on and the red focusing dots are all over the place. What just happened ?? Kaboom.

I'm at the Canon Service Center on Brigade Road with a bill of Rs.1361/-

Lesson learnt invest Rs 20 on a bulb blower and DSLR isnt a your car for "DIY Project" unless your really hands on with it.
Old 7th December 2011, 14:43   #8958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
How to loose Rs 1361 in 10 secs ??

Well was trying to clean the viewfinder because I saw some insignificant dust particle on it, opened the DSLR, I mean just the lens not even all or any of the screws, just below the "penta" is this part, (guess its the focusing plate or some such thing)

Attachment 853097

used a brush to wipe of the dust Woah ! its clean, turn the cam on and the red focusing dots are all over the place. What just happened ?? Kaboom.

I'm at the Canon Service Center on Brigade Road with a bill of Rs.1361/-

Lesson learnt invest Rs 20 on a bulb blower and DSLR isnt a your car for "DIY Project" unless your really hands on with it.

Yes, that's the focusing screen of your cam. I had taken apart mine a couple of times and cleaned it. Never had any issues after putting it back. May be you didn't reassemble it perfectly. There are guys who removed their Sony focusing screen from their Alphas and replaced the same part from old Minolta SLRs which is believed to be better(?)

Last edited by clevermax : 7th December 2011 at 14:47.
Old 7th December 2011, 15:02   #8959
BHPian

Guess its the way Service Centers work, they dont repair anything just replace the part and charge you a bomb, I mean even for cars or any other electronics I've seen this happen, nice business model
Old 8th December 2011, 12:56   #8960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartikk View Post
...they dont repair anything just replace the part and charge you a bomb, I mean even for cars or any other electronics I've seen this happen, nice business model
If I need to do something similar and feel that I want to try, I search for videos that are available. That helps a lot in such DIY things. Seriously. Nowadays you find everything documented by different people/country/languages. Even "how to use an Indian toilet" by Wilbur (if you have not seen already )

I got my 43 inch reflector from Ebay HK last month, happily opened it, but had no clue how to fold it back. Help=Video !! (just an example from plenty of things already done)
shajufx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 18:24   #8961
BHPian

This 1100D was bought from Amazon. The battery charger reads both 100-240V and 100-120V for input voltage and explictly mentions battery charger next to 110-120V. Can this be used safely w/o a step down transformer? attaching a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-img_20111209_163119.jpg  

Old 9th December 2011, 20:15   #8962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
This 1100D was bought from Amazon. The battery charger reads both 100-240V and 100-120V for input voltage and explictly mentions battery charger next to 110-120V. Can this be used safely w/o a step down transformer? attaching a pic.
This is an 'auto volt' switching supply and since you bought it from Amazon I also assume it is an original Canon charger. Never heard of 'Jet' Canon.

Yes, it can be used safely without a step down transformer.

Regards,

Last edited by R2D2 : 9th December 2011 at 20:16.
Old 9th December 2011, 20:27   #8963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2

This is an 'auto volt' switching supply and since you bought it from Amazon I also assume it is an original Canon charger. Never heard of 'Jet' Canon.

Yes, it can be used safely without a step down transformer.

Regards,
Thank you for the prompt reply.
The packing and all was original, so don't think it'd not be canons. It's a friends though'
Old 10th December 2011, 10:37   #8964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Why am I getting vignetting?

Image details-

Aperture- f/5.6
Shutter- 1/800s
Focal length-98mm
EV- -0.3
ISO-200

D90 with 18-105, used the lens hood.
I have the same setup and could never get an answer except that Vignetting happens. I have noticed significant vignetting artifacts in this lens at almost all focal lengths. The zoom factor on this lens is >5 and maybe its the lens construction that is causing the effect. Do not get this problem on my 70-300 or primes.

As pointed out, you can get rid of this effect by using an editing software. In my case, I just leave it there as it gives the image a classic look. Do update in case you have a better answer.

BTW, nice picture, but I did not like the shadows on the main subject. Maybe the light was too bright. Dept of Field achieved was nice.
Old 10th December 2011, 15:39   #8965
Senior - BHPian

One more sample movie off my A35, this time using a Quantaray 28-90 macro lens, shot in macro mode. The lens is not sharp at all and is evident in the clip.

Old 10th December 2011, 17:41   #8966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
I have noticed significant vignetting artifacts in this lens at almost all focal lengths.

Yeah, that's true. I too have observed, vignetting is present in almost all focals, its just that it's more pronounced at the higher focal length. Ken Rockwell to mentions this in his review of 18-105.

Do not get this problem on my 70-300 or primes.

Again true, never experienced vignetting in my 50mm f1.8d

As pointed out, you can get rid of this effect by using an editing software. In my case, I just leave it there as it gives the image a classic look.

Vignetting looks good when your subject is human, I don't like it much on other subjects. But then again. that's a personal choice.

BTW, nice picture, but I did not like the shadows on the main subject. Maybe the light was too bright. Dept of Field achieved was nice.
Gee, thanks! Yeah, it was shot in broad daylight, around 12:30PM. Had been planning the shoot since 8AM, but it was 12:30 when I finally moved my bum to the park.

Here is the edited one, Adobe Lightroom 3.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2601620
Old 10th December 2011, 18:33   #8967
BHPian

@clevermax
Nice!!! I enjoyed it!
Torqueguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 19:50   #8968
BHPian

hi guys

need help in choosing a camera.

although i started taking photos with SLR's during my school days, i never bought a camera with my own money fearing my carelessness and the inevitable 'fungus' attack on lenses. was rather always content borrowing cameras from friends and relatives.

think its high time i had my own. mind is somewhat fixed on nikon 5100. budget is 50,000. what you guys suggest?
Old 10th December 2011, 22:51   #8969
BHPian

Anyone knows how much should i expect for a one year old Canon 1000D with kit lens ? I'm now looking forward to but a 550D, since i'm mostly doing low light portraits.
Old 11th December 2011, 13:23   #8970
Senior - BHPian

Finally narrowed my choice down to Sony SLT A35 and the Canon EOS 550D.
After extensive research on the web, and countless reviews later, I have now narrowed down to these two. From what I read and understood,
>Sony SLT isn't the traditional DSLR, but claims to be more advanced than DSLRs
>In burst mode, Sony A35 shoots 7 frames in a sec, opposed to 3.7 by the Canon 550D
>Canon has Image Stabilization in its lenses, while Sony has it in the camera body
>Canon has a much better screen and an optical view finder
>Sony can shoot pictures in wide mode (16:9) whist Canon can't do that.
>Canon 550D has a superb copyrighting feature that puts the user's name in all the photos clicked. Sony A35 doesn't have this (Please correct me if I am wrong here)

And everybody I know has advised me to go buy a Canon, that is saying something about the brand recognition that Canon has in the DSLR space.

Price:
Sony A35 : INR 35,990 / USD $ 699 - not much of a saving!
Canon 550D: INR 37,990 / USD $ 799 (But US version comes with 2 lenses now with the festive offer - additional lens - 75-300mm/f4.0-5.6 Without Image Stabilization)

I have a friend coming down from USA in a weeks time. Is it sensible to get the product from USA? What about warranty? Will the power supply change require a step down transformer/adapter?

Your replies and suggestions are most welcome, please do help me take a decision

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks