Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2011, 17:39   #8836
Senior - BHPian

Service manuals / Disassembly guides

I know this is not something which is easily available on the web. Was just wondering if any of us chanced upon camera service manuals or dismantling guides while searching similar things.

Looking for a service manual or dismantling guide for Sony Alpha 200 DSLR camera. Any leads will be greatly appreciated!

This is just to wipe off some dust which has accumulated on the inner surface of the transparent plastic layer which is over the LCD screen. I understand the risks, so replies with warning 'do not attempt it' will be ignored I have one complex lens surgery to my credit as well

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd November 2011 at 17:47.
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:42   #8837
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Is there a way to find out the date of manufacture of a DSLR, other than from the sticker which is a pasted by the importer?
Asking because i want to buy a Canon 1000d body. But in developed markets, Canon has replaced the model with 1100d. So if i buy a 1000d now, will it be something manufactured 2 years back or so?
Quite likely yes it will be 2 years old but how does it matter as long as it is unused and price point is right ? Cameras do not have a best before date.
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:56   #8838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Quite likely yes it will be 2 years old but how does it matter as long as it is unused and price point is right ? Cameras do not have a best before date.
I was worried about it lying in some godown, transported multiple times without proper handling, by employees of the distributor (or)
if some damage caused by climatic changes like 'Fungus' or 'Rust'. If the dealer cleans it and gives at the time of purchase it would be difficult to find out right?

Last edited by Daewood : 23rd November 2011 at 12:58.
Old 23rd November 2011, 13:28   #8839
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore people, can someone help me out? Just wanted to know the price for Sony Alpha A35 SLT camera being sold from any of the popular Camera shops there.

JJMehta quotes a price of 34.5K with free 4GB sd card and a bag. But I am not too sure whether this online price is lower than the prices at the shops over there.
Old 23rd November 2011, 13:53   #8840
Senior - BHPian

Guys which Nikon DSLR is currently the smallest in size? I am not really looking into lots of bells and whistles. Autofocus motor and stabilization can go out of window since I am planning to use a prime with it.

D40 would have been ideal but I guess that is not into production anymore.
Old 23rd November 2011, 13:58   #8841
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Guys which Nikon DSLR is currently the smallest in size? I am not really looking into lots of bells and whistles. Autofocus motor and stabilization can go out of window since I am planning to use a prime with it.
D40 would have been ideal but I guess that is not into production anymore.
If you want the camera size to be small, check out Sony's DSLT series as I am doing now. They are much smaller than normal DSLRs. Also, the AF is brilliant because it is a translucent mirror, so phase detection AF works full time.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd November 2011 at 14:02.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:28   #8842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If you want the camera size to be small, check out Sony's DSLT series as I am doing now. They are much smaller than normal DSLRs. Also, the AF is brilliant because it is a translucent mirror, so phase detection AF works full time.
I guess it won't be cheap. Also how about the lens cost. I am planning to go for a Nikon prime which will be around 6k.
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:43   #8843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bangalore people, can someone help me out? Just wanted to know the price for Sony Alpha A35 SLT camera being sold from any of the popular Camera shops there.....
Popular shops will be selling it for MRP which is anyway higher than the quote what you got from JJ. The lowest I could find was smartshoppers for 34.2 free shipping. I can try a considerable lower quote from them over phone if you want me to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Guys which Nikon DSLR is currently the smallest in size?......
Right now its D3100 in the place of D40. But primes will not auto focus on this unless you opt the G versions.
shajufx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 16:11   #8844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Popular shops will be selling it for MRP which is anyway higher than the quote what you got from JJ. The lowest I could find was smartshoppers for 34.2 free shipping. I can try a considerable lower quote from them over phone if you want me to.
Thanks shaju, 34.2 seems to be the lowest so far, but I've heard from a colleague of mine that some online shopping sites offer in the range of 32K and all. Please try the phone method also for me? Please PM me if you get anything, we'll take this offline.

I can get this for about 31K from US, but I guess there won't be an Intl. warranty. Don't want to just take the risk for saving around 3.5K.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd November 2011 at 16:17.
Old 23rd November 2011, 16:17   #8845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks shaju, 34.2 seems to be the lowest so far, but I've heard from a colleague of mine that some online shopping sites offer in the range of 32K and all. Please try the phone method also for me?...
Yes, they can send it to you for 32k with 18-55 lens. But posted price on the site is 34.2 which is their usual price. Let me know if it sounds good. Probably do a cross check with other available online stores too, prices might vary depending on the date of import as you know about the recent dollar variation.
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:20   #8846
Senior - BHPian

Hey folks! I have finally jumped into the dSLR bandwagon by buying a Nikon D3100 Got a sweet deal on letsbuy.com. Costed me 29k and got freebies worth over 5000 bucks which includes a Vanguard 65cm tripod, 16BG Transcend class10 card and a leather DSLR bag
Initial impressions of the camera are great. The kit lens is fantastic! Still trying to figure out the various modes in a DSLR.

I have a small doubt. Do I have to switch off 'VR' before switching off the camera everytime? Cuz the manual(pg 17) says "Do not turn off the camera while VR is in effect otherwise the lens might rattle".
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:34   #8847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I have a small doubt. Do I have to switch off 'VR' before switching off the camera everytime? Cuz the manual(pg 17) says "Do not turn off the camera while VR is in effect otherwise the lens might rattle".
What they probably meant was that you should not switch the camera off while shutter is open and VR is active, may be during a long exposure shot with VR on. Switching off the camera with the VR switch in on position shouldn't be a problem at all.

Quote:
Yes, they can send it to you for 32k with 18-55 lens. But posted price on the site is 34.2 which is their usual price. Let me know if it sounds good. Probably do a cross check with other available online stores too, prices might vary depending on the date of import as you know about the recent dollar variation.
Sweet! Will check if there are cheaper offers and get back, thanks again shaju!

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd November 2011 at 17:36.
Old 25th November 2011, 15:18   #8848
BHPian

I had purchased a D50 Nikon 8 months ago. It was a used (mint condition) DSLR from a friend. I haven't used it at all. I am planning to shift to a basic point and shoot. I need help on selling the DSLR. Is this a right place to put it up for sale? Or I should put it up for sale some place else. Also what should be the expected price for it. It has the following things with it:
1. DSLR Body
2. 18-55 kit lense
3. Carry Case
4. All the cables and peraphernalia
5. 100$ worth literature specifically written for D50, purchased by my pal from some Photography Guru on net.

Any help from the gurus here will be much appreciated.

Warm regards,
Dushyant
Old 25th November 2011, 18:26   #8849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I had purchased a D50 Nikon 8 months ago. It was a used (mint condition) DSLR from a friend. I haven't used it at all. I am planning to shift to a basic point and shoot. I need help on selling the DSLR. Is this a right place to put it up for sale? Or I should put it up for sale some place else. Also what should be the expected price for it. It has the following things with it:
1. DSLR Body
2. 18-55 kit lense
3. Carry Case
4. All the cables and peraphernalia
5. 100$ worth literature specifically written for D50, purchased by my pal from some Photography Guru on net.

Any help from the gurus here will be much appreciated.

Warm regards,
Dushyant
Put it in the classified on Team-BHP and also on some of the Photography specific sites like JJM etc. I think it will help if you price the camera right and I am sorry but don't expect any monitory benefit for writings of Photography guru
Old 25th November 2011, 19:12   #8850
Senior - BHPian

Elinchrom FX200 back !

Quote:
...I contacted the dealer (fotocircle) and its taken to the shop with a duplicate copy of the bill. He checked it there and it will be send to Elinchrom's Mumbai service center for repair. Expected time: 5 days. So far no idea what would be the cost, probably its free, will update as it comes back.
My light has come back and collected. Jayesh sent it to the Mumbai service center and they changed the flash tube. Entire process was FREE !

Fotocircle has started keeping neck straps of Matin, Opteka and Black Rapid. BR double strap DR-2 is around 11k if anyone is looking for. Flipkart also has added neck straps to their listing.

I found an alternate brand that is good quality and reliable for half the price of Black Rapid: CarrySpeed. Its made in US and available through ebay. I had placed an order for single strap (2k) on 23rd November. It might reach by 1st week of December. I have been using Matin Neoprene strap since 2 years. Now I wanted something of the 'side sling' type that's more comfortable for the neck. Carryspeed also has double strap which is half the cost of BR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
.....100$ worth literature specifically written for D50, purchased by my pal from some Photography Guru on net....
As amit said, post it on BPC forum buy&sell and JJMehta forum buy&sell area. Literature will not fetch you money even for a coffee ! So you can give it as a compliment. Price will depend on the shutter count, condition, age etc. Browse through the above forums, you will find similar models posted for sale.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks