Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2011, 16:20   #8791
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

I want to know the differences between, Sony cybershot HX100V and Sony Alpha A290L. I know one is a DSLR and the Other is not for basics. But the Alpha A290L which is a DSLR doesn't offer a live view finder (viewing livetime on a LCD screen to shoot) and doesn't take videos either, compared to the Cybershot, which shoots videos in 1080p with stereo audio recording too. But still the DSLR is the more expensive one. So I being a beginer who just has saved up enough money to get into some serious hobbying of photography, am really confused. So can somebody please throw some light to help me distinguish between the two?
Thanks in advance
Old 15th November 2011, 16:25   #8792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajvir Bains View Post
Hello Gurus

I am also going through same confusion of whether to buy Canon eos550d or Nikon d5100, after reading through previous posts found that Canon is good for Video and Nikon is better in Still photgraphy. I have also read that these brands are almost the same.

Since i have no knowledge about DSLRs and this would be my First DSLR, i have few questions.

1) Whether the difference in image quality of both the cameras would be visible to a normal person like me or not ?

2)I tried both these cameras at a retail store, and noticed that Nikon D5100 was slower to focus than Canon and was also slower in displaying the captured image. Whether this observation of mine is correct or not ?

Basically i want a fast DSLR, similar to the speed of digital camera. So if i go for Canon eos550d would the image quality suffer ?

I am not keen on buying Nikon d5100 since i found it slow.

Gurus please guide me in this regard.

Thank You in Advance.
Dilemma continues... purchase postponed by 3 days... strong opinion goes for Canon 550D. But once I choose canon or Nikon system then there is no turning back hence recheck again...
Here is the comparison as per study by me

1) Nikon D5100 and Canon 550D are having approx same image quality but Nikon wins here with edge of low light performance. Nikon has edge in dynamic range and color depth as well. But it is like difference in power between 300 bhp and 310bhp car. Both are still strong cars.

Nikon wins here by small margin.

2) Nikon lens politics sucks( as read in most reviews). For creative photography and exceptional photos 50mm prime lens is a must. Canon has 50mm 1.8 lens available in market for Rs.4.5k. Nikon also has one lens for 5.5k but it will not autofocus on D5100 due to absence of in body focus motor. Canon 550D has that's why it is big edge over here.
On Nikon if you want autofocusing 50mm 1.8mm lens then it costs 11k in market. So here is little bit extra money involved. For shallow depth of field I think auto focus can be really useful.

Canon wins here.

3) Live view implementation is better in canon. Manual control during video is possible in canon 550D which will be useful while creating creative videos. In canon you can control aperture, shutter and ISO. In Nikon no manual control except aperture and that too is bit complicated. To change aperture in Nikon you need to turn off live view and then change the aperture and then do exposure lock and then come back to live view. In canon you can do this on the fly.
For videos Nikon has continuous autofocus which might be required by newbies but in canon you need to press shutter button for focusing and focusing is slow and jumpy.

I think Canon has big edge over here.

4) D5100 has articulated LCD screen
5) Canon has better resolution LCD screen with 3:2 aspect ration which is good.
6) Nikon feels better in hand.
7) In the approx same price I get Nikon D5100 with 18-105 and Canon with 18-135.
8) Nikon has good battery life.
9) As said by Rajvir Canon processing is faster.

Head says Canon makes better sense.

Last edited by sushantr5 : 15th November 2011 at 16:29.
Old 15th November 2011, 19:13   #8793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I want to know the differences between, Sony cybershot HX100V and Sony Alpha A290L. I know one is a DSLR and the Other is not for basics. But the Alpha A290L which is a DSLR doesn't offer a live view finder (viewing livetime on a LCD screen to shoot) and doesn't take videos either, compared to the Cybershot, which shoots videos in 1080p with stereo audio recording too. But still the DSLR is the more expensive one. So I being a beginer who just has saved up enough money to get into some serious hobbying of photography, am really confused. So can somebody please throw some light to help me distinguish between the two?
Thanks in advance
I am not an expert, but I was in the same confusion between HX100V Vs Nikon D3100.
Finally opted for the Nikon.

From what I learnt, Sensor-size is the most important component for image-quality, and DSLR's have a very much larger sensor-area compared to point-and-shoots.

So if image-quality is more important, DSLR wins.

Last edited by manim : 15th November 2011 at 19:15.
manim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 20:44   #8794
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post

For creative photography and exceptional photos 50mm prime lens is a must.

For creative photography, you need a great eye and good visualization. Thrust a PnS in Rudra da or TorqueGuru's hand. Their pics will be better than what I can manage in my D90

I think Canon has big edge over here.
When it comes to lens, Canon lens, in general are relatively cheaper than Nikon.

Finally, stop pondering too much over Nikon/Canon. Buy one of these and start clicking.
Old 16th November 2011, 14:51   #8795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
.....For shallow depth of field I think auto focus can be really useful.......For videos Nikon has continuous autofocus which might be required by newbies but in canon you need to press shutter button for focusing and focusing is slow and jumpy.....
Depth of field and auto focus has no connection, but its 100% related to the aperture size, wider the better. Wide to wider goes like 2.8, 2, 1.8, 1.4, 1.2 etc. If photography is the sole interest, dont buy a camera based on its video performance as there are plenty of dedicated HD video recorders available in the market. Both Canon and Nikon have many variants to choose from. Pick up one and start shooting. It does not matter if you pick up a 25k body or 1 lakh body, its rarely people ask "which camera ?"
Old 16th November 2011, 21:45   #8796
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx
Depth of field and auto focus has no connection, but its 100% related to the aperture size, wider the better.
What he meant is probably it is better to use af for very shallow depth of field shots... As it can be more accurate than manually focussing. This is true especially in case of prime lenses when you open it up wide.

Last edited by clevermax : 16th November 2011 at 21:46.
Old 16th November 2011, 22:59   #8797

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5

Dilemma continues... purchase postponed by 3 days... strong opinion goes for Canon 550D. But once I choose canon or Nikon system then there is no turning back hence recheck again...
==============
Head says Canon makes better sense.
Thanks Sushant for the detailed explanation and guiding me.
I was also planning to go for 550d with 35-105mm kit len.
So have you bought the camera ?
Whats the initial impression ?
How much di you pay for it ?
Old 17th November 2011, 13:08   #8798
BHPian

I am planning to purchase the SONY NEX-3 sometime soon. Any idea where I can get the best prices? The red one is available on flipkart for about 19,500/- But I want a black or silver one.

Flipkart.com: Sony NEX-3K body with 18-55mm lens: Camera

Thanks.
Old 17th November 2011, 13:10   #8799
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sushant for the detailed explanation and guiding me.
I was also planning to go for 550d with 35-105mm kit len.
So have you bought the camera ?
Whats the initial impression ?
How much di you pay for it ?
I will buy on this weekend. Current offer is Rs.49000 for Canon 550D with 18-135 Lens. What is the offer you are getting?
Old 17th November 2011, 15:38   #8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5

I will buy on this weekend. Current offer is Rs.49000 for Canon 550D with 18-135 Lens. What is the offer you are getting?
Well thats a very nice price.
How come you are getting at this price
I was quoted Rs.55000 by Canon Image Square.
Old 17th November 2011, 21:56   #8801
Senior - BHPian

I just got my 42 inch shoot-through umbrella (from RK Nareshji, it was not available anywhere else) and received the 43 inch 2-in-one reflector (Gold & Silver) from Ebay HK. Hope to explore the light & magic potential in the coming days
Old 18th November 2011, 09:56   #8802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I just got my 42 inch shoot-through umbrella ... explore the light & magic potential in the coming days
Wow. Are you setting up a studio of sorts?

A question to all who have used it - what is your opinion of the Sigma 150-500mm? While reviews are average to good from most websites, I would like any opinion from this group. Thanks in advance.
Old 18th November 2011, 10:41   #8803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Wow. Are you setting up a studio of sorts ?.....opinion of the Sigma 150-500mm ?
My King, I wish one day I could have the most sophisticated studio of its kind here, but as of now that remains as a wish . We dont have any cost on dreaming and wishing anyway !! About the umbrella and the reflector, its the cheapest and simplest accessories one can have (useful indoor and outdoor) makes a huge difference in the quality of image !

I have too many friends having 150-500. Birding on a budget, there is no other alternative. PM Robinmahanta our member here, he posted some high quality bird shots recently. If you want to speak to him, PM me, I will give his number.
Old 18th November 2011, 14:14   #8804
BHPian

Quote:
Well thats a very nice price.
How come you are getting at this price
I was quoted Rs.55000 by Canon Image Square.
To get good price, basically avoid branded stores and go to conventional camera shops which are present from old days.
Old 18th November 2011, 20:51   #8805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
A question to all who have used it - what is your opinion of the Sigma 150-500mm? While reviews are average to good from most websites, I would like any opinion from this group. Thanks in advance.
You can check with Hayath as well,
Flickr: Hayath's Photostream

He has been posting some amazing photographs taken with this lens.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks