Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2011, 20:24   #8596
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

I'm attaching a pic of a D5100 with the 18-55 lense. On the body there is this hook/clamp that doesnt seem to serve any purpose...is there some part of the body that's missing or is that how it orignally is?

The DSLR Thread-img_5717.jpg
Old 16th October 2011, 20:31   #8597
Team-BHP Support

Really happy with 14mm, 2.8L lens. Perfect verticals and horizontals.
Surely one of the best rectilinear corrected lens I've seen.

The DSLR Thread-14.jpg
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2011, 21:47   #8598
Senior - BHPian

Rudrasen,
Fantastic photo of your working place. So nice desk top and Laptop and the lovely Iphone. I am really jealous of your sound stick which is my long time dream. I could not acquire coz I don't have a separate working room. I work in the sitting room where my LED TV and Home theater are there and will disturb other family members.Be happy with the beautiful work equipments. Why don't you give the details of all your gadgets which many BHPians may like to know.
Old 16th October 2011, 22:00   #8599
Team-BHP Support

Yes, that's my working place in Bangalore. No laptop but my old and faithful G5 PowerPC with 30" Apple display. Soundsticks are more of a showpiece than delivering what they suppose to do.

By the way navan, we are way off topic.
Old 16th October 2011, 22:19   #8600
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Congrats

Try Capture NX and you will not miss DPP
Installed Capture NX2 and spent most of the evening working on it. It's a lot better than the software shipped with camera- View NX. This is really not as light, fast and user friendly as DPP, plus this one is not free.
Old 17th October 2011, 09:30   #8601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Ruchir, can you explain that UV filter worth 100 part ? If you can, replace that cheap thing with a lens/sensor cleaner, worth doing it.
That is UV filter worth 1000, by mistake i left one zero (and it is all that matters)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Thanks mate :-)

I asked that question more than 5 years ago, bought the D50 around the same time from Pritam in Chandani Chowk :-)
oops brother, i extended my help too soon
Old 17th October 2011, 09:34   #8602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanupsingh View Post
Advice needed guys. I have been using a Sony A230 (which was gifted to me, though I would prefer canon to sony any day) for the past 2 years and feel that I've done as much as possible with the kit lens and really wanted to get a telephoto or a fish eye.

I have two options now - (a) Sell the A230 with the kit lens and get the Canon 500D which I've had my eye on for a long time or (b) Carry on with the Sony and get minolta lenses (the sony ones are too expensive

Your inputs?
If you cannot afford the Sony lenses, I doubt you can afford the Canon lenses. Most of the newer Minolta lenses are as good as the lower end Canon & Nikon lenses.

At this stage you have to spend some time introspecting, and figure out the direction you want to take in your photography. You can either carry on with the kit lenses and add Minolta lenses, or do some serious research on the Canon, Nikon, Sony & Zeiss lenses. Decide which lenses would be suitable for your style of photography. As lenses will outlast your DSLR by five to ten years, it is the lenses that you should concentrate on, and if required build up a collection. Bodies come and go, but lenses last a really long time.

One plus point with Sony is that it has in-body stabilization, hence lenses of same quality will be less expensive compared to lenses that have stabilization inbuilt. So the Sony compatible lenses will last longer, as newer stabilised lenses are released regularly with better stabilisation (not required for in-body stabilisation).
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 09:42   #8603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Really happy with 14mm, 2.8L lens. Perfect verticals and horizontals.
Surely one of the best rectilinear corrected lens I've seen.
What is that white slab like thing on desk?
Old 17th October 2011, 09:45   #8604
Senior - BHPian

anshu; congrats.

OT,

Nice one Rudra, even the pic of the screen looks nice ! Gotta get a bigger screen for myself.

A friend bought D7000 (just body) for 46k for Malaysia. Look out for 'For Sale : D80 ... '
Old 17th October 2011, 09:57   #8605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
What is that white slab like thing on desk?
That's my 10 years old INTUOS WACOM Drawing tablet. Can't really live without that.
Old 17th October 2011, 10:17   #8606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Really happy with 14mm, 2.8L lens. Perfect verticals and horizontals....
Rudraji, curious to know whats your regular DSLR body !! A friend of mine is renovating his studio and looking to upgrade all his old stuff, budget no bar. Present equipments are mixture of Mamiya, Fuji, Nikon & Canon. Areas are mostly portraits, wedding, events. Some people might wonder why an experienced photographer needs advise. Reason: He is moving to digital world, probably the last person to move from film

Chethan was praising your workplace, monitor, images etc after paying you a visit sometime back
Old 17th October 2011, 12:06   #8607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rudraji, curious to know whats your regular DSLR body !! A friend of mine is renovating his studio and looking to upgrade all his old stuff, budget no bar. Present equipments are mixture of Mamiya, Fuji, Nikon & Canon. Areas are mostly portraits, wedding, events. Some people might wonder why an experienced photographer needs advise. Reason: He is moving to digital world, probably the last person to move from film

Chethan was praising your workplace, monitor, images etc after paying you a visit sometime back
Budget no bar is a dangerous notion. In the DSLR realm you can easily cross US$ 15,000/ on a studio set up. If you go to Medium Format Digital, sky is the limit!

. 40MP starts at $20,000 H4D-40 Stainless Steel
. 80MP starts at $40,000 Leaf Aptus-II 12 Update :: Capture Integration – Medium Format Digital Back Sales & Rental and Other Professional Photographic Equipment
. Lenses start at $2K and go upto $8K+ H System Lenses
. Strobes are 2k+ Save up to 15% on Profoto Generators

So you can easily spend $40K, on a 40MP camera, a few lenses and a couple of strobes.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:31   #8608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Budget no bar is a dangerous notion. In the DSLR realm you can easily cross US$ 15,000/ on a studio set up. If you go to Medium Format Digital, sky is the limit!.....
Thanks for the words, unfortunately our man is happy within 25 MP as his work never requires a larger than life print. He is aware of Hasselblad and stuff as his younger cousin owns them for hobby. Present bodies in consideration are Nikon D3x, Canon 5D MII and Canon 1Ds MIII. Suggestions are not entertained in the lens category as he is clear on what he wants ! I am reading more reviews as he spends time offline

Last edited by shajufx : 17th October 2011 at 12:32.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:48   #8609
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the words, unfortunately our man is happy within 25 MP as his work never requires a larger than life print.
Larger than life prints don't require 40MP large formats..
Quote:
Present bodies in consideration are Nikon D3x, Canon 5D MII and Canon 1Ds MIII.
As all the bodies mentioned here are more than capable of pulling out larger than life images (read billboards etc).

Also let's remember larger the image size, more the viewing distance.
Old 17th October 2011, 12:51   #8610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Larger than life prints don't require 40MP large formats.......
Pardon my ignorance, I always thought medium and large formats are used by fashion/product photographers for highest quality prints and larger displays !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks