Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 14:39   #8536
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia View Post
The D5100 has a slight edge in IQ over the 550D, however, since you have stated that your cousin will let you borrow his Canon lenses, there's no reason to go for the Nikon.

Apart from the above, Canon has, IMHO, a better (price and quality) lineup of lenses. Bodies in the segment you're buying at are replaced every year, however, lenses last for a long time.
thanks for the input, i also came across Nikon D3100 which is coming around 28k on hand, looks much similar to D5100 has same set of lenses (which is THE most imp thing in SLR) and looks competitive to D550 as well, what say experts
Old 7th October 2011, 22:49   #8537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I am retaining my D700, 20mm and 50mm until my upgrade product is available in stores (mostly Sony NEX-7 as of now). I had 16 items for sale in the first ad and the entire 13 have gone in 48 hours ! So I find its wise to hold the body and primes until I have my new unit in hand than go idle for next 2 months. (Indirectly also want to hear from the first batch of NEX7 owners !! )
Shaju, I'm still not really sure, WHY. Back pain can/shouldn't be the main concern to move from a FF to a micro 4/3rd. It's really difficult for me to understand. May be because I'm for one don't believe in changing systems will give one a better photographs and isn't that what we all as photographers aspire for i.e. better photographs than the previous ones? If it was me then I would work around with the D700 and those 20 and 50mm (which are awesome lenses and probably can't any better for the price) and use them till I run out of ideas. Sorry, if I sound preachy but I couldn't stopped myself from posting it.

Quote:
Wished and tried to get a proper macro lens since 6 months (Tamron 90mm was with me in 2010) and my only choices were Nikon 105 2.8 VR and Sigma 150 2.8 both of which are out of stock for a long time.
If you didn't like the 90 mm then you might not even 105mm too. 150mm would probably the right choice as this gives more working distance and which is what bothered you the most is what I could understand from our conversation during the last trip. May be you can wait till you get the lens.

Quote:
Then about the filters. Friends might remember I had discussed about it and finally bought Hoya Pro1D CPL and ND16 3 months back. It was not available in India and had to get it from B&H US and by hand to India. Plan was to stack them together on a 20mm but gave vignetting. That was a mistake. I could have got the Hitek or Lee basic unit which can go with any brand or make or size (100x150mm). They mostly retain their value because its flexible with all brands and sizes (adapters are cheap to get from many brands). Lesson learnt: I will never ever buy a screw-in type filter !!
If you think that the square ones from hitech would be easy to work with then you are wrong. They are cumbersome to handheld and when you use the designated holders then you are back to the same old situation of vignetting. You might go for the bigger sized Lee ones though like you mentioned. But again, you still could've used your CPL and a CPL is a must anyway, so you probably could've retained the CPL atleast. Same goes for the tripod too, unless you are planning to buy a even better one.
Old 7th October 2011, 23:33   #8538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
.......I'm for one don't believe in changing systems will give one a better photographs.......150mm would probably the right choice as this gives more working distance........go for the bigger sized Lee ones though like you mentioned. But again, you still could've used your CPL and a CPL is a must anyway.........Same goes for the tripod too, unless you are planning to buy a even better one.
Kaushik, you just typed down the thoughts thats common to everyone who knows me personally related to this photography line. Most of them started thinking that I would not be walking like before or carry heavy bags like the past, and I myself thought the same until this week. Because the disk pain I went through looked like I may never ever carry a camera bag in my life time. It was hell. The entire selling fever started from there with only one thing in mind: Go light without compromising on the quality much, never thirsty for higher quality. As the entire list got cleared leaving the D700 and two primes subject to heavy bargaining, I thought its wise to keep them until atleast the product in my mind is available in stores. Therefore they are with me.

Sigma 150 is in consideration, thinking about how to get one from US right now. About the CPL, it was picked up by the person who came for Tripod and few other small things. There was no way I could keep them as the initial plan was to clear the entire list Tripod is anyway a requirement, I will look for something that falls in the medium budget when its needed. Filters are not required immediately, I will not buy any more screw-in types due to the uncertainty of the system in future. Best choice would be the 100 x 150mm types with holders and adapters. Reading about Cokin & Lee. I will consult you for refined guidance anyway.
Old 10th October 2011, 18:34   #8539
Team-BHP Support

Generic question on coping with the weight of a lens.

When shifting/upgrading from the basic kit lens/50mm prime, to a bigger lens, how do
most of you learn to cope-up with the weight. Any tutorials/videos in this regard would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11th October 2011, 00:44   #8540

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
When shifting/upgrading from the basic kit lens/50mm prime, to a bigger lens, how do
most of you learn to cope-up with the weight. Any tutorials/videos in this regard would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Camera resting on the edge of left hand. Lens supported from underneath by left hand fingers and palm. Turn fingers to zoom/focus. Right hand on the side grip.
Simple once you get it.
Old 11th October 2011, 11:55   #8541
BHPian

Since I started using a 7D with a 24-70 and 430EX II attached, I've been working out, now at 14 kgs in each arm, 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps each. Started with about 8 kgs, gradually increasing the weight everytime I exceed 10 reps. You could try the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Thanks in advance.
teknophobia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 14:13   #8542
Senior - BHPian

i have gone through the user experience and reviews for buying a DLSR in this thread and outside this and it has further confused me a lot, now i am confused between a D3100 or a D550, i feel almost in the same league D3100 will be almost the same choice as D5100,

the only punch line that confuses me if i compare D550 to D3100 is that D3100 is a complete package at a very good price (i am getting it at 27k) and D550 is a long term investment (costing me 37k)
Old 11th October 2011, 14:19   #8543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
the only punch line that confuses me if i compare D550 to D3100 is that D3100 is a complete package at a very good price (i am getting it at 27k) and D550 is a long term investment (costing me 37k)
IMO 550D is comparable to D5100 and is better than D3100.
I suggest you look at ebay.in, I saw they are running a deal on 550D with kit lens for 31500/-.
I got mine in July for Rs. 31137/- from Letsbuy.com.
Letsbuy is nowadays quoting 550D at 38K with lots of freebies thrown in.
Old 11th October 2011, 14:45   #8544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
IMO 550D is comparable to D5100 and is better than D3100.
I suggest you look at ebay.in, I saw they are running a deal on 550D with kit lens for 31500/-.
I got mine in July for Rs. 31137/- from Letsbuy.com.
Letsbuy is nowadays quoting 550D at 38K with lots of freebies thrown in.
you have got a real good deal, i do not have good experience with ebay.in for online purchases, i am getting a corporate discount of around 8% on any camera i buy, D3100 reviews are much better specially at such a price and some sites are comparing D3100 vs D550, the entry level 1100D does not looks very promising as compared to entry level D3100,
the only confusion is that being a first time DSLR owner i am ready to buy a camera which should suffice my requirement for a longer period since i do not want to invest again on DSLR and D3100 looks somewhat similar to D550
Old 11th October 2011, 15:29   #8545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you have got a real good deal, i do not have good experience with ebay.in for online purchases, i am getting a corporate discount of around 8% on any camera i buy,
Even I bought 550D for keeping it almost forever.
1100D has been spruced up and is now being offered with 18-55mm IS II kit lens, which is said to be better than the IS lens.
Anyways, you have to make your own decision, but why don't you look at this link, meanwhile. It has nice deals.
eBay India's Deal Junction - one stop shop for hottest deals & bargains on mobile phones, digicams, laptops, LCD TVs, computers, movies, shoes, diamond jewellery & more
These deals are for limited time. I have a good experience with online shopping as of now, be it letsbuy.com, flipkart or ebay.in.
Ebay is better in the sense, you can really take the vendor for a ride if he messes up with your item by giving him bad feedback, but trust me I have only good experiences to tell.
These vendors take care of the warranty as well. My 550D from letsbuy was already registered on canonedge website and the warranty started after my product delivery date, would you believe it?
So rest assured, these days you don't get to hear horror tales for online shopping.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2011, 16:39   #8546
Senior - BHPian

I had a word with ebay seller, the price quoted are without bag and memory card, with these two items D550 will cost 34k and D3100 will cost 27k, apart from that i need to produce form38 from local sales tax office since i reside in U.P
my bad.
in that case buying from my local dealer will not be a bad option

at the given price i would have surely gone for D550, but now i am back to square one when comparing VFM factor for D3100 vs D550

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 11th October 2011 at 16:47. Reason: to add
Old 11th October 2011, 16:41   #8547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Has anyone used a Nissin Di466 flash? I am looking at this flash for my Panasonic LX5.
I see that the Nissin Di466 is available at $139 on B&H. Is it available at a cheaper rate anywhere else?
After doing some bit of research, I ordered this from B&H today. It should be with me by Oct 24. This is compatible with 4/3 cameras.
Old 11th October 2011, 17:45   #8548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a word with ebay seller, the price quoted are without bag and memory card, with these two items D550 will cost 34k and D3100 will cost 27k, apart from that i need to produce form38 from local sales tax office since i reside in U.P
my bad.
Damn!! How archaic our laws of land are still.
But I wonder, I ordered a phone for my Dad at our Patna Address from Letsbuy and it didn't require any form 38.
Why don't you try letsbuy then, you will be getting lots of free stuff alongwith tripod, extra memory card, photo frame, etc. Check here , if you are interested in these freebies.
Buy Canon DSLR EOS 550D with EF S18-55mm IS Kit- Best Selling Canon DSLR at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

Also try coupon codes like ICICILB or RCOMLB or RCOMLB1. Try which one works and you will get around 1000-1200 discount. That will make your deal better.

EDIT: Okay I checked , none of the Coupon codes are working.
But check the freebies
Quote:
4GB SD Card + Complementary Lens & Sensor Cleaning Coupon worth Rs. 1200 + Go Pro Workshop coupon & Slik F133 Tripod worth Rs.1850 + LOWEPRO TOPLOADING BAG worth Rs. 1300 + Transcend 8GB Class-10 SD Card worth Rs.2000 + MOTOROLA PHOTO FRAME worth Rs. 4995
+ you will be getting some Diwali Gift

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 11th October 2011 at 17:50.
Old 11th October 2011, 17:49   #8549
BHPian

After several reviews and comparisons, I decided to buy my first dslr - Nikon D3100 (it is within my budget).

Can anyone from Chennai help me on where can I get best price? (I don't prefer online purchase). The price quote I got is Nikon 3100 with kit lense, bag and 4gb card - aug2011 model - 27.5K (with Hoya UV filter). Is it a good deal?

Shall I go for filter or without filter? Without filter, the cost is 27K.

Last edited by vijayk : 11th October 2011 at 17:55. Reason: Removed the tags
Old 11th October 2011, 18:12   #8550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijayk View Post
After several reviews and comparisons, I decided to buy my first dslr - Nikon D3100 (it is within my budget).

Can anyone from Chennai help me on where can I get best price? (I don't prefer online purchase). The price quote I got is Nikon 3100 with kit lense, bag and 4gb card - aug2011 model - 27.5K (with Hoya UV filter). Is it a good deal?

Shall I go for filter or without filter? Without filter, the cost is 27K.
You can try Ebby Cam world, located in Spencer Plaza phase 2. I had a good experience with then when I got my 550D. I dont think the UV filter is of much use, but again check with the others on the forum. I dont use them to protect my lens (which is what I think is their primary use).

Have fun!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks