Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2011, 07:39   #8416
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Congrats ! Pentax is rare, I looked out for Pentax , found no B&M representation worth the name and knew it had to be Canon/Nikon. How did you procure yours , ordering online , B&H/Adorama/Ebay/Amazon ?

One significant downside to Pentax aside from the lack of manufacturer support is there is no FX body in the Pentax line up. No upgrade path from APS-C. Sure, there is the medium format 645D , yours for only $9999 !

Do you intend to 'test' its weather sealing properties ? the weather is just right !
Whats B&M?

The lens is from Adorama and K-5 is from a local store here in Australia. No plans to upgrade to FF in distant future. 5DII and D700 were way over by budget anyways and can't imagine spending $10k on 645D.
31mm is not weather sealed so cant test the combo.

Last edited by C300 : 30th August 2011 at 07:40. Reason: Formatting
Old 2nd September 2011, 21:30   #8417
Senior - BHPian

Ok friends I am most probably going to buy my first 'new' DSLR tomorrow.

I have finalized Nikon D3100 and Canon EOS 1000D. Now which one is better for me?

PS - I am amateur photography enthusiast and will continue to improve my skills and upgrade to expensive models in next couple of years.
Old 3rd September 2011, 00:02   #8418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I have finalized Nikon D3100 and Canon EOS 1000D. Now which one is better for me?
I don't have the figures / specifications / features on my fingertips, but from what I recollect, the D3100 is a superior camera than the EOS1000D. I suggest you go to Digital Cameras: Digital Photography Review, News, Reviews, Forums, FAQ and compare both cameras and read the review. dpreview is perhaps one of the most exhaustive camera-related website, as you might be aware.

Last edited by architect : 3rd September 2011 at 00:03.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 07:58   #8419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

PS - I am amateur photography enthusiast and will continue to improve my skills and upgrade to expensive models in next couple of years.
If you're going Canon pick up the 1100D. But between 1000D, 1100D and D3100, i think D3100 is a better performing camera. 1100D offers the ability to use any Canon EF lens with full functionality.

Side by Side Comparison: Digital Photography Review
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 16:52   #8420
Senior - BHPian

So finally I bought my first 'brand new' DSLR - The Nikon D3100.

Place of Purchase - Dass Studios, Connaught Place, Delhi (NCR residents should know this place).

Price - Rs. 29,000 all inclusive.

Freebies - Camera bag and 4 GB card.

Warranty - 2 Years for both body and lens.

Name:  new camera d3100 2.JPG
Views: 2383
Size:  138.0 KB

The DSLR Thread-new-camera-d3100-1.jpg
Old 6th September 2011, 19:07   #8421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So finally I bought my first 'brand new' DSLR - The Nikon D3100......
Congratulations !!! Any specific reason to keep it inside the cupboard and click ? Please dont join the LWF group, we have many members here who are life-time members =(Lens With Fungus)=
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2011, 22:34   #8422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Congratulations !!! Any specific reason to keep it inside the cupboard and click ? Please dont join the LWF group, we have many members here who are life-time members =(Lens With Fungus)=
Thanks shajufx,

I kept the camera open in cupboard for shooting the image. I have kept it properly in the bag which came with the camera and then in cupboard. Hope it is fine to keep it in this way.
Old 7th September 2011, 01:55   #8423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I've been using a Nikon D3100 for 10 months now, and one of my close friends here has a Canon 1000D. I've used both the cameras extensively. I've shot atleast 500 pictures on the 1000D with the kit and a 75-300 lens. And I can tell you that there's a day and night difference in performance. The Nikon 3100 is far far superior to the Canon especially in low light. It's a no brainer.

So, your choice was right.
nitrous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 06:43   #8424
BHPian

Quote:
So finally I bought my first 'brand new' DSLR - The Nikon D3100.

Place of Purchase - Dass Studios, Connaught Place, Delhi (NCR residents should know this place).

Price - Rs. 29,000 all inclusive.

Freebies - Camera bag and 4 GB card.

Warranty - 2 Years for both body and lens.
Congratulations BV for the D3100, I am seriously contemplating to upgrade to DSLR from film SLR.
Any reason for not buying from e-bay or letsbuy?
I saw good offers from e-bay recently.
Waiting for the pictures of venus with the DSLR.

HC
Habanero City is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 09:07   #8425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks shajufx,

I kept the camera open in cupboard for shooting the image. I have kept it properly in the bag which came with the camera and then in cupboard. Hope it is fine to keep it in this way.
Hi bluevolt, congrats on the new DSLR kit. Wish many years of peace and happiness shooting photos with the new camera. There's no risk keeping it in a cupboard but make sure you put in a sachet or two of silica gel to keep the moisture away. And never store cameras and lenses in moist/humid places for too long. That is a sureshot way to join what Shaju calls the LWF (LOL!) gang.

PS - BV, I noticed from the photo of your camera in the cupboard that your lens doesnt seem to have been mounted properly. The white dot is at the mounting junction. The VR logo should be vertical and not at an angle. Please ensure that you twist it counter clockwise when seen face on till the lens locks in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Any reason for not buying from e-bay or letsbuy? I saw good offers from e-bay recently.
HC, only buy from authorised dealers to keep your warranty valid. Ebay and most online sellers are not authorised. Nikon is pretty firm about this.

Rgds,

Last edited by R2D2 : 7th September 2011 at 09:12.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 10:35   #8426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
Congratulations BV for the D3100, I am seriously contemplating to upgrade to DSLR from film SLR.
Any reason for not buying from e-bay or letsbuy?
I saw good offers from e-bay recently.
Waiting for the pictures of venus with the DSLR.
HC
Hi HC,

Offers from e stores are always attractive. One site (don't remember which one was that) was offering D3100 for just 27000 and freebies included a tripod, 16GB card. But I still purchased the camera from the authorized dealer listed in Nikon's website to avoid warranty issues. Also the benefit of buying it from an authorized channel is that you can check if the piece is from a fresh lot or not. My camera is august 2011 import so that means I got the latest piece.

One more reason is that I am not comfortable plonking heavy amount of 30K over buying stuff online.

But if Nikon have its own e store then yes I can think of getting it directly from company's e store (like we have in case of Dell).

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Hi bluevolt, congrats on the new DSLR kit. Wish many years of peace and happiness shooting photos with the new camera. There's no risk keeping it in a cupboard but make sure you put in a sachet or two of silica gel to keep the moisture away. And never store cameras and lenses in moist/humid places for too long. That is a sureshot way to join what Shaju calls the LWF (LOL!) gang.

PS - BV, I noticed from the photo of your camera in the cupboard that your lens doesnt seem to have been mounted properly. The white dot is at the mounting junction. The VR logo should be vertical and not at an angle. Please ensure that you twist it counter clockwise when seen face on till the lens locks in place.
Rgds,
Thanks R2D2 for the tips.

I will check the lens and mount it properly if it is not.
Old 7th September 2011, 11:12   #8427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....I have kept it properly in the bag which came with the camera and then in cupboard. Hope it is fine to keep it in this way.
You got me wrong, I meant a DSLR in a cupboard or any storage place kept unused. LWF is a gang of people who buy just for the 'upgrade' feel, they use it in the initial spirited days and then forget about it for months !! I can name atleast 15 friends here who remember their camera when I call them for a photo-walk but find and excuse not to be part of it
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2011, 22:56   #8428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
You got me wrong, I meant a DSLR in a cupboard or any storage place kept unused. LWF is a gang of people who buy just for the 'upgrade' feel, they use it in the initial spirited days and then forget about it for months !! I can name atleast 15 friends here who remember their camera when I call them for a photo-walk but find and excuse not to be part of it
Hehe... Trust me sir that will not be the case with me. I haven't upgraded the camera just for the sake of a 'DSLR'. Earlier I have borrowed SLRs from my friends and bought one second hand for learning it. I have true passion for photography; the only problem with me is that I am at learning stage.
Old 7th September 2011, 23:13   #8429
Senior - BHPian

I recently tried connecting my D-90 to the TV and it didn't work. I have a Onida CRT TV. What's surprising is I can play images from my Canon PnS and I can't do it with the D-90. I tried switching between NTSC/PAL on the camera, but to no avail. Anyone else facing the same issue? Found a Flicker page discussing the same problem and strangely none have managed to get a solution to it. Forgot to book mark the link
Old 7th September 2011, 23:19   #8430
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
My Nikon D5100

After waiting for nearly 45 days, I got my Nikon D5100 on Sept 05, 2011. Here are the pics of my D5100 (Pls. Excuse me for Pic quality)

Bought from Nikon Authorized dealer. I got a good deal for 35,500 with bill and 2 years Nikon India warranty + 4GB Card + Nikon Bag. I paid 800 + 100(12.5% Vat) for Hoya HMC UV (C) Multi coated filter.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-dsc_0033.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-20110907-12.46.41.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-20110907-12.47.47.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0027.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0034.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0035.jpg  

Last edited by Gurudatta Nayak : 7th September 2011 at 23:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks