Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2011, 10:41   #8086
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

I would be very skeptical about this Sigma deal. There must be some scam involved here. If something is too good to be true, then it is not true. Ignore the seller.
Old 6th July 2011, 10:48   #8087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys please help... I am about to order one from US.
A proper extension tube from an established brand like Canon, Kenko etc would cost upward of 15k. If you are being promised the same thing at Rs 500 I wonder if it will work beyond day one.
Even if it does whether it will be safe for the contact points of your camera and lens is another question I would ask.
The contact points of your camera body and the lens have some very sophisticated electronics. Ruining that with a Rs 500 cheapo gadget made in god-knows-where could cost you the camera and/or lens.
Unless I was using a very very cheap, throwaway kind of body/lens combination I wouldn't take this risk.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:14   #8088
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to get a set of extension tube for Macro photos....The set is available at 599/- on EBay. However, I have a doubt about its working.....
Kenko DG tubes have got good reviews and many flickr friends are using it without issues. They cost around 6k (eBay price). What you found seems to be a no-name product, but sounds a good bargain. There is no rocket science involved in the tubes anyway, its just a hollow tube, many people make it as DIY project. Macro is mostly manual focus, you can physically move front and back for fine tuning. So, take a chance. Electronic pins on a cheap tube can not be reliable, so you can check it after getting it, if it works, FINE, otherwise tape the pins and do a full manual control. People take macro shots with reverse lens (holding the lens in reverse mode without even any connection to the body). So if you can get a tube with proper coupling, its an advantage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Guys, how is Lowepro Flipside 200 Multi Use Backpack?......
I just sold mine last weekend It can hold all your stuff mentioned and few more. Tripod has a perfect fitting on it. Its compact and secure. I needed more space, therefore upgraded to Flipside 400.

Last edited by shajufx : 6th July 2011 at 11:15.
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 11:25   #8089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

I just sold mine last weekend It can hold all your stuff mentioned and few more. Tripod has a perfect fitting on it. Its compact and secure. I needed more space, therefore upgraded to Flipside 400.

i think i would have picked if i was knowing it:(

Any suggestions on the bags? i presently have the leather bag which comes with the cam but i am comfortable to use it if i want to carry the camer in my bike, so any suggestions?

thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 11:43   #8090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
......i think i would have picked if i was knowing it....
Any suggestions on the bags?......
I did not want to stress you further as you were waiting for your new cam, lens etc Anyway flipkart is selling Flipside 200 for 4400 as of today. Pick it up if you ever plan to carry your tripod anywhere. Its perfect for bikes.

I am surprised to see the increase in Flipside 400 pricing on flipkart, it has gone up 800 bucks from last week !! Anyway one thing I noticed about flipkart pricing of bags, its much much lower than B&H US or Adorama.
Old 6th July 2011, 11:56   #8091
Senior - BHPian

About the 599 Rs extension tube someone asked here it is useful for manual lens with aperture control. You need auto extension tube with electrical contacts for all lenses which do not have aperture control ring so decide accordingly.

Quote:
I did not want to stress you further as you were waiting for your new cam, lens etc Anyway flipkart is selling Flipside 200 for 4400 as of today. Pick it up if you ever plan to carry your tripod anywhere. Its perfect for bikes.

I am surprised to see the increase in Flipside 400 pricing on flipkart, it has gone up 800 bucks from last week !! Anyway one thing I noticed about flipkart pricing of bags, its much much lower than B&H US or Adorama.
That is primarily because US doller has depriciated further :-)
Old 6th July 2011, 13:34   #8092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Kenko DG tubes have got good reviews and many flickr friends are using it without issues. They cost around 6k (eBay price). What you found seems to be a no-name product, but sounds a good bargain. There is no rocket science involved in the tubes anyway, its just a hollow tube, many people make it as DIY project. Macro is mostly manual focus, you can physically move front and back for fine tuning. So, take a chance. Electronic pins on a cheap tube can not be reliable, so you can check it after getting it, if it works, FINE, otherwise tape the pins and do a full manual control. People take macro shots with reverse lens (holding the lens in reverse mode without even any connection to the body). So if you can get a tube with proper coupling, its an advantage.
The one I saw costs around $10. Now I am only skeptical about damaging the body and lens as Sudipto said. I have seen the videos of this product (Or similar) on Net and none of the guys spoke about damaging the body/lens. They dont have any pins so everything is manually controlled. It comes with body and lens mount. As its $10, its not a big risk but then damaging the body puts me off now.
Old 6th July 2011, 13:43   #8093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The one I saw costs around $10. Now I am only skeptical about damaging the body and lens as Sudipto said. I have seen the videos of this product (Or similar) on Net and none of the guys spoke about damaging the body/lens. They dont have any pins so everything is manually controlled. It comes with body and lens mount. As its $10, its not a big risk but then damaging the body puts me off now.
Nothing will damage but first thing for Macro Photography using ET you need smaller aperture , If you have an AF lens with out aperture ring with this ET you will only shoot at max aperture.

If you are on Canon body you can set aperture first , Press DOF preview button and then release lens withou switching off and then you can mount on this tube with desired aperture.

On Nikon AF lenses Aperture is controlled by a screw mechanism so I guess this trick won't work.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 13:53   #8094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Nothing will damage but first thing for Macro Photography using ET you need smaller aperture , If you have an AF lens with out aperture ring with this ET you will only shoot at max aperture.

If you are on Canon body you can set aperture first , Press DOF preview button and then release lens withou switching off and then you can mount on this tube with desired aperture.

On Nikon AF lenses Aperture is controlled by a screw mechanism so I guess this trick won't work.
I dont see any DOF button on the 1100D Canon body. I was under impression that I will set the Aperture, switch off the cam, remove the lens and mount it on ET, and finally do the manual focusing. Wont that work ??
Old 6th July 2011, 14:02   #8095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......I was under impression that I will set the Aperture, switch off the cam, remove the lens and mount it on ET, and finally do the manual focusing. Wont that work ??
It should work if everything is set on Manual mode. Do a test right now, set aperture, switch off the cam, remove the lens and switch it on, try the reverse macro. You will get an idea how it will behave with the new tube, only difference will be, you dont have to hold the lens with your hand but will remain on the tube.

Last edited by shajufx : 6th July 2011 at 14:03.
Old 6th July 2011, 15:11   #8096
Senior - BHPian

[quote=neoonwheels;2419430]I dont see any DOF button on the 1100D Canon body. I was under impression that I will set the Aperture, switch off the cam, remove the lens and mount it on ET, and finally do the manual focusing. Wont that work ??[/quote

No it will not , All Canon lenses are controlled by electrical contacts , Actually by default the lens is always in widest aperture position and aperture closes just before you click the image analogus to stop down metering.

The cheapest solution for you is to buy an old 50mm manual lens like Helios 44M and use it on manual ET.

I think I posted about DOF preview button and how it is a major handicap in Nikon D3100 and Canon1100 somewhere here.

Quote:
It should work if everything is set on Manual mode. Do a test right now, set aperture, switch off the cam, remove the lens and switch it on, try the reverse macro. You will get an idea how it will behave with the new tube, only difference will be, you dont have to hold the lens with your hand but will remain on the tube.
No Shaju , Unless the lens has a manual aperture control ring it will not.
In Auto lens aperture closes only when you click the image to allow AF sensors to work
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2011, 16:54   #8097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.. I just sold mine last weekend It can hold all your stuff mentioned and few more. Tripod has a perfect fitting on it. Its compact and secure. I needed more space, therefore upgraded to Flipside 400.
Quote:
.. Anyway flipkart is selling Flipside 200 for 4400 as of today. Pick it up if you ever plan to carry your tripod anywhere. Its perfect for bikes.
Thanks shaju for the reassurance.
I'll order mine from flipkart soon!
Old 6th July 2011, 17:00   #8098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
....No Shaju , Unless the lens has a manual aperture control ring it will not......
I was not very sure, therefore suggested a real test as it will clear his doubts.

About my visit to the customs department in the 2nd half: Everything went well except the fact that the officer did not agree that ebay sellers do free shipping My package came as free shipping and there is no way to prove that except the invoice that mentions 'Shipping- Free'. He is telling they will decide the shipping charge extra and complete the calculation based on the invoice. Anyway, fingers crossed, hope they do all that crap and I get the product atleast by next week. It will be 1 month after the payment on 11th July.

Not forgetting how I had to struggle and explain about Speed Light and Radio Trigger & Receivers to a person who has no clue about cameras or lights.
Me: "Sir, speed light is flash light for photography"
Officer: "Is it torchlight ?"
Me: "Yes sir, its same thing, but without the handle "
Old 6th July 2011, 19:32   #8099
BHPian

Mates NEED HELP IN BUYING MY FIRST DSLR
After spending a lotsa time with point and shoot cameras its time for me to graduate to DSLRs. I am planning to buy one soon (say 2/3 weeks, cannot resist to own one any longer).
I do two kinds of photography, street shoots and landscapes.
I will settle for a decent body and will spend on lens (first I will buy a 55-200 apart from the kit one 18-55)
After doing long researches the final dilemma is between NIKON D5100 and CANON 550D.
Points with Nikon
- Latest product
- Faster shutter speed
- Better build quality than Canon
- Smaller and better in handling
- AF slower (than Canon)

Points with CANON
- More MPixels
- HD recording
- Better Image quality than nikon 5100
- Cheaper lens
- Faster AF than nikon

Above mentioned are the points I understood so far, they might be wrong so experts please correct.

I must also mention that I will be keeping this body as long as its not completely outdated or I take up full time photography.
Please guide me in understanding things and making a better decision.

Thanks!
Old 6th July 2011, 20:08   #8100
BHPian

Quote:
ebay sellers do free shipping My package came as free shipping and there is no way to prove that except the invoice that mentions 'Shipping- Free'.
Me: "Yes sir, its same thing, but without the handle "
You could have explained that the invoice amount is already inclusive of the shipping and that is a popular ploy of the ebay sellers to attract customers.

Could not help but laugh at that handle less speedlight thought..

Hope you get your stuff soon with good discount

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks