Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2011, 01:47   #8056
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
This AF motor lens logic is again amusing. Most people spend far less time learning how to take amazing shots (not that i'm a pro at all) than they spend on agonizing over the missing AF motor in the entry level Nikons. No seriously.
I am not a Nikon user but mostly the agony is about 8-10K Rupees price difference between Canon 50mm F1.8 and the new Nikon 50mm F1.8. Canon EOS system is full electronic mount and people do not miss motor in it because even with motor it is priced right.

Learning to take good shots and agony over price are independent variables.

Last edited by amitk26 : 2nd July 2011 at 01:49.
Old 2nd July 2011, 02:10   #8057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This AF motor lens logic is again amusing. Most people spend far less time learning how to take amazing shots (not that i'm a pro at all) than they spend on agonizing over the missing AF motor in the entry level Nikons. No seriously.
Yeah, That would be me, sir.
My entry level Nikon and the 50 F1.8
Old 2nd July 2011, 06:13   #8058
Senior - BHPian

Re: Canon 1000d-Battery dead in 10 months.

i have one for my 500D. i cant point out the backup difference. and its been working happily for 1.5 years.

via dealextreme.com
Old 2nd July 2011, 07:20   #8059
BHPian

@ TSK - Never bought stuff from ebay.com, hence a basic doubt. Any issues with customs if i buy batteries from say US? And recommended third party batteries?

@ Phamilyman - How much did you pay on dealextreme? The same question - any issues with customs?
Old 2nd July 2011, 07:55   #8060
Senior - BHPian

Here you go - Canon LP-E5 Compatible 7.4V 1080mAh Replacement Li-Ion Battery for Canon EOS-450D/KISSX2/1000D
Item Number 20710$6.55 USD1$6.55 USD

no issues of any sort. turned up in a month's time. (gurgaon). similar package took 16-18 days in delhi.
Old 2nd July 2011, 14:53   #8061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Smartshopper of course is cheaper than even grey market (I wonder how they manage to offer such prices). But somehow I feel uncomfortable dealing with an online shop.
Smartshopper is basically not an online retailer. They are authorized Dealers here in Chennai with a full fledged operations. The reason they are able to sell at low prices might be due to the large volumes they sell, since they are located in an area where almost every other shop is a Photography Store. And that area is always buzzing with activity with Photographers from all over the state and nearby states coming over for good deals.
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:35   #8062
Senior - BHPian

Daewood - as far as I am concerned smartshopper is an online store for me, because I live in Calcutta and I would be making the purchase online if I bought from them. However, by calling them online store I didn't mean to question their credibility. Of course they are a credible organisation. But I prefer to hold a lens or ball head etc before buying it.
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:53   #8063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Smartshopper is basically not an online retailer. They are authorized Dealers here in Chennai with a full fledged operations. The reason they are able to sell at low prices might be due to the large volumes they sell, since they are located in an area where almost every other shop is a Photography Store. And that area is always buzzing with activity with Photographers from all over the state and nearby states coming over for good deals.
True. I bought my Canon 7d from Smartshoppers with bill & warranty for 74k. I checked with other retailers and they quoted more than 77k. I found that they are Gold retailers for canon I guess that they pass on some portion of quantity discounts that they get from manufacturers to end customers.

By the way, I went through a colleague of mine and he's been instrumental in making many of friends do close to 5+ lakhs of business in last six months. Perhaps that could be the reason for good price.
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:18   #8064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
.....Photo Today exhibition will commence at Palace Grounds (Gayathri Vihar entrance) on 1st July that will end on 3rd July. It will have many DSLR/ Video/ Print related products on display in different brand stalls. Lighting/ Tripod related accessories will have good bargains......
Went there, met few friends (thanks Apratim), its almost a 100% increase in the crowd compared to last year. We were moving around relaxed until 12pm when the crowd starting pushing each other specially at lighting accessory stalls. Somehow managed to be part of the thick crowd until 1pm and could not take it any further. Bought 8 rechargeable Ni-MH batteries (envie brand), charger and a double sided backdrop. Wanted to check soft boxes, but changed my mind due to the excess crowd at those stalls.

Here is a test shot with the backdrop, other side is pure black ! SB-600 fired from the side with reflective umbrella. Once the new flashes and trigger reaches, my monsoon days will be busy experimenting indoors
The DSLR Thread-58.jpg
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:18   #8065
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
All said, I need to know one thing which is concerning me, I did a google search and found this.

Canon 550D vs Nikon D5100

I am not worried about the 550D being thinner/cheaper/more MP/slightly better shutter speed and other stuff. I am worried about the lack of Auto Focus motor on the 5100 which is there on the 550D. Can that be a deal breaker or can i have a work around for that ?. Like starScream already mentioned, I need to make sure i buy AFS lenses. Will that be a costly affair compared to say buying the normal lenses for the Canon ?
Kimified, that site is wrong. The 550D does not have an AF motor. As Mukeshgoel said all Canon bodies depend on AF motors in the lens. When Canon went AF they changed their entire mount to support AF lenses. Nikon did not change the mount and their first version of AF used a motor in the body to drive a spindle in the lens to achieve focus. This method was often slower and noisier than Canon's technology.

Now Nikon is adopting tech similar to its rival and upgrading its line up with a vengeance. The 5100 uses this new technology. Cameras like the D90 have both the new tech and the old one, which is particularly helpful to people who have a mix of new and old AF lenses.

Like I said earlier, this issue is not much of a trouble for someone starting from scratch. Nikon has a fairly extensive range of AFS lenses - as you can see from their website. Even with the older glass, everything will work except autofocus - you'll have to do that manually.

Quote:
phamilyman, you're right in a sense but for someone new to SLR photography and about to drop 40k on a hobby - its a valid concern.

Last edited by StarScream : 2nd July 2011 at 19:20.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:12   #8066
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Hi, my canon 1000d battery (LP E5) died out after only about 10 months or so. Checked up with canon, and they say its not covered under warranty. Have a few queries:-

(b) New battery costs around 4k. Thats a lot. Checked up on ebay, and a few sellers have batteries costing 1600, with description of canon rebel Xs batteries. Are these the ones bought from US? Safe to buy? And anyways, even the original canon battery failed me in only 10 months time.
LP-E5 price is not 4k - it is in the range 1600-1800/-. There are third party products available at half that price.
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:21   #8067
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
@ TSK - Never bought stuff from ebay.com, hence a basic doubt. Any issues with customs if i buy batteries from say US? And recommended third party batteries?

@ Phamilyman - How much did you pay on dealextreme? The same question - any issues with customs?
Nobody bothers about customs for such cheap stuff costing less than 10$
Old 3rd July 2011, 10:03   #8068
BHPian

Have any of us taken delivery of Nikkor AF-S 50 mm 1.8 from Smartshoppers at Chennai? How is the vendor?

Best,
FBS
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:14   #8069
Senior - BHPian

i picked Nikon D90 & AF-S 50 mm 1.8 this week itself no issues(touch wood

These guys are good and professional, Shaju has bought loads of stuff from them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
Have any of us taken delivery of Nikkor AF-S 50 mm 1.8 from Smartshoppers at Chennai? How is the vendor?

Best,
FBS
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:23   #8070
BHPian

Congratulations on your new acquisition and great choice. The D90 is a wonderful body.

About smart shoppers I did browse through their brochure and could not find the product and hence the question. Now I know. D90 does not come with a 50 mm 1.8G lens, can you tell me what price you paid for the lens also if its a G lens or a D lens.

Best,
FBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
i picked Nikon D90 & AF-S 50 mm 1.8 this week itself no issues(touch wood

These guys are good and professional, Shaju has bought loads of stuff from them..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks