Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2011, 19:36   #7981
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide
Pisses me off a great deal to realise Nikon decided not to support stop-down metering on its entry level cams (D90 and below). Nikon has screwed "poorer" customers
Windride, excuse me for such a noob question but you mean to say that even D90 doesn't support stop down metering??
Old 27th June 2011, 20:03   #7982
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
The compactness of this class of camera is the USP! They stand about equal to DLSRs

----
----
Thanks a lot! Right now, it is the likes of NEXs for me. Any other competition I need to look into which do the same job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Guys i join the DSLR world, it took me a while to make up my mind infact quiet a lot of time
Big Thank you to the members of TBHP for the support and guidance, esp SHaju ,AmitK & RobiMahanta..

I picked up D90 with 18-105lens, also 50mm 1.8...
Congo Bro...Looking forward to your Advy pics in a totally new dimension
Old 27th June 2011, 21:22   #7983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
...you mean to say that even D90 doesn't support stop down metering??
D90 does not meter when coupled to Nikkor AI/AIs manual focus lenses. Even stop-down metering is not supported with such lenses on a D90 which has the DOF preview button. Bah!!

Only D200 and above can meter with these fantastic and cheap lenses.

Pre-AI lenses will not even mount on a D90, but they will mount just fine on a D40 -figure out why

It is sad the way Nikon has shafted its entry level customers, forcing them to buy more expensive bodies (D200 and above) for metering with its superb collection of vintage manual focus lenses.

The more i use Nikon, the more i admire Pentax and the way it has maintained backward compatibility to the earliest K-mount lenses.

Too late to switch camps without incurring losses...

Last edited by WindRide : 27th June 2011 at 21:27.
WindRide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2011, 21:29   #7984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
D90 does not meter when coupled to Nikkor AI/AIs manual focus lenses. Even stop-down metering is not supported with such lenses on a D90 which has the DOF preview button. Bah!!

The more i use Nikon, the more i admire Pentax and the way it has maintained backward compatibility to the earliest K-mount lenses.
okay, thanks!! and how about canon camera's like 550D and 1100D.
I was getting a good deal for D90, 47.5k for D90 with 18-105 mm lens. But somehow I held myself back from transacting.
Looks like it has to be a canon then.
Old 27th June 2011, 21:37   #7985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Our HW (Veeresh) had Sigma 105 macro lens and I have seen a huge collection of beautiful macros.
I'd vouch for any macro lens actually. They're awesome. As far as quality is considered, Sigma EX series is pretty good. Just that you might have to do a thorough test before buying (check for front/back focus). If you have a DSLR that supports micro-focus adjustment, then you should be good to buy any of the 3rd party lenses.

Quote:

Only D200 and above can meter with these fantastic and cheap lenses.

Pre-AI lenses will not even mount on a D90, but they will mount just fine on a D40 -figure out why

It is sad the way Nikon has shafted its entry level customers, forcing them to buy more expensive bodies (D200 and above) for metering with its superb collection of vintage manual focus lenses.

I am confused. If you can mount it, why can't you meter? Am I missing something?
Old 27th June 2011, 21:42   #7986
BHPian

Sorry No idea about Canon, since its off my radar. Iam a nikon-user and a pentax-fan

Unless you are an odd-ball like me hell bent of aquiring ONLY vintage MF lenses instead of the latest and greatest tech from Nikon, D90 is a fantastic cam.

So don't let this limitation alone put you off.

Ask yourself this - are you ever going to buy lenses made when you were still going ga-ga and goo-goo and crapping in your diapers?

If not, go ahead with the D90 for its well-documented merits.
Old 27th June 2011, 22:59   #7987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
....I am confused. If you can mount it, why can't you meter? Am I missing something?
Nikon bodies < D200 will not meter with non-CPU lenses (effectively all Nikkor pre-AI, AI and AIs manual focus lenses). Reason being, these bodies require chip-based lens that relay max lens aperture and current lens aperture information from lens to body at exposure time.

For indepth technical details, you may refer to various photography sites.

Last edited by WindRide : 27th June 2011 at 23:03.
Old 27th June 2011, 23:31   #7988
BHPian

Quote:
Nikon bodies < D200 will not meter with non-CPU lenses (effectively all Nikkor pre-AI, AI and AIs manual focus lenses). Reason being, these bodies require chip-based lens that relay max lens aperture and current lens aperture information from lens to body at exposure time.

For indepth technical details, you may refer to various photography sites.
Hmm, that's strange. Thanks for that, did a look up and found out more details about it. It may not meter, but I guess you can always use the camera in manual mode (which means, that you'll end up using a light meter or some way to figure out the right exposure). I never thought about this because the canon and the m4/3rds meter fine with old lenses. Kinda lucky to have invested in both I guess .
Old 28th June 2011, 10:33   #7989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got a chance to try ISO-6400 few days back. I would love to see similar ISO shots from other DSLRs to have an idea on how different this actually is (ignore all the reviews and paid opinions by 100s of 'so-called experts').
Sir Ji can you put a direct camera output file as a upload ??
Old 28th June 2011, 10:57   #7990
BHPian

Quote:
I got a chance to try ISO-6400 few days back.
Shaju Sir!

This snap is way too clean for an ISO 6400. Is this from your D90? if not which body?

ISO 6400 shot on my D80 would look like a picture straight out of a Cheap Camera Phone!
Old 28th June 2011, 11:20   #7991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is this really true ?
I feel happy to be on Canon and I am using two fantastic MF lenses SMC Takumar 50 F1.4 and Vivitar Series 1 90mm F2.5 macro. The only catch is a 20$ adapter with chip from HK.

Pentax is best with the Manual mode switch.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:04   #7992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
Sir Ji can you put a direct camera output file as a upload ??
Sorry sirji, team-bhp does not allow such huge files. Original is 7 MB and its as good as the re-sized version I posted earlier with no processing involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
This snap is way too clean for an ISO 6400. Is this from your D90? if not which body?....
Yes sir, ISO-6400 is very much a clean image and this is what D700 is known for. Its a full frame sensor and performs too good in low light. I had checked the maximum tolerable level on D90 before selling it, anything above ISO-3200 was pure crap. Noise correction was required even at 3200.

Another advantage I found too good to resist on a full frame is the cropping potential. I have even cropped half of the image and there is absolutely no quality degrading visible. D90 image would go totally useless after cropping 60-70%, with all the pixels showing up badly.

Here is another example from the D700 at ISO-3200 (which is the tolerable ceiling for D90). I could get only 1/15 sec at f/4.8, but see how sharp the image is, absolutely no noise and no processing done.
The DSLR Thread-iso3200.jpg
Old 28th June 2011, 12:32   #7993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry sirji, team-bhp does not allow such huge files. Original is 7 MB and its as good as the re-sized version I posted earlier with no processing involved.
You can post full size image on some hosting site like MSN live and then create a zoomable image out of it from Zoom.it. and post the link here.
This is a Microsoft Cloud service and is very very fast

Check this 8 MB+ Rose bud Image I posted yesterday and how easy it is to zoom in /out using + and - button on the page or use the scroll wheel of your mouse to zoom in and zoom out.
Facebook even shows thumbnail.
If you click on the link below you will need to wait not more then 2-3 seconds for image to load.

http://zoom.it/Yjdz#full

BTW : ISO 6400 and ISO3200 is very clean and comparable to latest low noise cams

Last edited by amitk26 : 28th June 2011 at 12:42.
Old 28th June 2011, 12:39   #7994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mail me !!!!

I am PMing you my ID.
Old 28th June 2011, 17:14   #7995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
okay, thanks!! and how about canon camera's like 550D and 1100D.
I was getting a good deal for D90, 47.5k for D90 with 18-105 mm lens. But somehow I held myself back from transacting.
Looks like it has to be a canon then.
You can also check the Pentax K-5. Its packed with features, very compact, all weather proof and built like a tank. I had an opportunity to try it in a local shop and IMO its in a different league altogether compared to my Canon 1000D. Availability in India might be an issue though. Its priced at around USD 1300 online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Hmm, that's strange. Thanks for that, did a look up and found out more details about it. It may not meter, but I guess you can always use the camera in manual mode (which means, that you'll end up using a light meter or some way to figure out the right exposure). I never thought about this because the canon and the m4/3rds meter fine with old lenses. Kinda lucky to have invested in both I guess .
Are these old Canon MF lenses? I was under impression that they work only in manual mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Is this really true ?
I feel happy to be on Canon and I am using two fantastic MF lenses SMC Takumar 50 F1.4 and Vivitar Series 1 90mm F2.5 macro. The only catch is a 20$ adapter with chip from HK.

Pentax is best with the Manual mode switch.
Ditto. I use 135 & 55 Takumars on my 1000d in manual mode with AF-confirmation adapter.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks