Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 13:31   #7921
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
There were comments few posts back that image quality of 55-300 is not that great. Should say I havent used it yet so just saying what others said. Iam also on look out for lens, any idea about perfomance of 70-300 ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunalsb View Post
Any idea about the performance of 55-300?
Guys - I have been using a AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR with my D3100 for a couple of months now. Although I am no pro but I can say that the results are good. Attaching a couple of pics as samples (reduced to 20%).
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-dsc_0173.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0363.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0381.jpg  

Last edited by cool_dube : 15th June 2011 at 13:32.
cool_dube is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 14:24   #7922
BHPian

hi guys!

I was looking for a not-so-pricey telephoto (maybe 70-300) lens for my EOS 450D and chanced upon the Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro lens (here's the flipkart listing). Reviews i read on the web seem to be in favor of the lens, except that it hunts for focus at the long end.

Have any of you guys used this particular lens? what has your experience been with this?

Also, i noticed that Flipkart.com has started selling lenses on the website. Is there anyone here who's ordered such stuff from flipkart?? I have bought books from there but no fragile stuff - so would love to have feedback on their services!

PS : i am thinking of ordering this from flipkart / getting from the local store sometime this week.
Old 15th June 2011, 14:29   #7923
BANNED

I have

1) a Sony camcorder (40 GB HDD model 2007 model), the video is HD quality. I use it often for my family videos , especially my children growing up.

2) a Nikon 8 mega-pix P&S camera. I use it quite often along with my cellphone based camera.

3) plans to buy a entry level DSLR Nikon D3000/ D3100, Canon 1000 or 1100

should i buy a still DSLR , ie DSLR Nikon D3000/ Canon 1000 and keep the camcorder, or

should i buy a video capable DSLR , ie DSLR Nikon D3100/ Canon 1100 and sell the camcorder.

would be glad if someone updates me abt the Video Quality of DSLR....
Old 15th June 2011, 14:30   #7924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
.....They have never bothered to enter the money pit despite being photography professionals, while we all wallow in it. On the average, professionals spends lot less on equipment than amateurs in India. .....
Thats a 101% correct fact ! Even I thought of the same whenever I met some pro photographers at weddings and functions. I have seen them with a D40 to D90 category of bodies and 18-55 kit lens most of the time. But they all use a vivitar or nissin (rarely Nikon) flash to get the light proper for their clicks. They are more busy clicking, editing and printing than reading about discussions like ours. Sometimes I feel they give more importance to umbrellas, flashes and overall lighting than body or lens.

This situation changes only when we meet fashion/sports photographers who use high-end bodies and primes. Same applies to high-profile wedding/event photographers too. You may not find anything less than a 5D MII/D3s !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushantr5 View Post
......Anyway that was about business how we do it. But camera is just an equipment nothing more than that.
Loved both your posts. Its rare we get someone here from the commercial line. Dont disappear after you get a body and lens, come back and share whatever that helps 'people in the dark'
Old 15th June 2011, 14:51   #7925
Senior - BHPian

A question to Banglorians who still go to Symphony to watch movies Does your gaze get fixed at the mannequins with old SLR cameras in their neck in the lobby and you try to read what lens and body it is ? Ever got noticed and teased for your camera craze ?
Old 15th June 2011, 14:57   #7926
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddutta View Post

should i buy a still DSLR , ie DSLR Nikon D3000/ Canon 1000 and keep the camcorder, or

should i buy a video capable DSLR , ie DSLR Nikon D3100/ Canon 1100 and sell the camcorder.

would be glad if someone updates me abt the Video Quality of DSLR....
Canon and Nikon DSLRs are not very good for home video, as AF during video is their weak point.
If you want to discard your camcorder, and have a all in one camera. I suggest you look at the panasonic mirrorless Micro 4/3 cameras. They have excellent video quality, and very fast and accurate video AF.
Image quality for stills is also very good.
At high end you have GH2, and at medium to low end you have G3 and GF3.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 15:10   #7927
BHPian

With my requirements I think following combination will go with me

1)
Body
: Sony SLT-A35
: Recently Launched successor to A33.
Lens: Tamron Lens AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR

This combination will be cheapest I can get with my requirements. And this will fit in 40k-45k price bracket. Sony cameras have 3 yrs warranty and Tamron lenses have six years warranty. Only problem I see here is slow AF performance of Tamron lens during video. And Tamron is not equal to Nikkor and canon in case of quality. Tamron is almost there but behind those leading brands. Sony also offers 18-200 lens but it is just rebranded Tamron lens (Sony owns some stake in Tamron group).

2)
Body
: Nikon D5100
Lens: Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon Lens

On the quality front this will be no compromise. Only compromise will be focal length coverage. I need to try out this before buying.This combination also will fall inside 45k bracket. I think this is better combination.

Lets see how these options get evaluated till actual buy date.
Old 15th June 2011, 15:33   #7928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With my requirements I think following combination will go with me.....
You can also consider Sigma 18-200 DC OS HSM around 20k(or spend some more money and go for 18-250) with an entry level body like a 1000D for around 20k. Add an external flash for around 5k or if you already have one, buy two more YN-460 or YN-460ii and remote triggers.
kkr2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 15:54   #7929
BHPian

Quote:
With my requirements I think following combination will go with me

2)
Body: Nikon D5100
Lens: Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon Lens

On the quality front this will be no compromise. Only compromise will be focal length coverage. I need to try out this before buying.This combination also will fall inside 45k bracket. I think this is better combination.

Lets see how these options get evaluated till actual buy date.
Well, I am an absolute novice in photography, but out of my keen interest i keep doing a lot of research and my 2 cents based on that little knowledge is:

For wedding photography, the D5100 would not be the best bet, if it also has to do some video duties. The D5100 or even the D7000 falls behind the 600D in video capabilities. Please check this comparison and try to find few others like it :

For stills, the D5100 sensor and its focussig system combi has the edge over the canon in terms of sharpness, but the warmer colour reproduction in the 600D actually produces better looking images (atleast to my eyes or to any untrained eye, i suppose, may be like that of your clients).

As for me, for wedding photos, i think looking at warm colourful & glowing pictures would pull more strings of my heart than slightly sharper/crisper images.

PS: I too liked both your posts and the passion that you have in your profession. Keep it up !

Last edited by SilkDrive : 15th June 2011 at 16:01.
SilkDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 16:02   #7930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
.....Banglorians who still go to Symphony to watch movies Does your gaze get fixed at the mannequins with old SLR cameras in their neck .....
Sorry buddy, I have not gone to a theater since 5 years ! Watched around 200 movies from seventymm and ended up fighting with them for a silly reason, they suck (infact fought with them every month)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
.....buy two more YN-460 or YN-460ii and remote triggers.
No no, please buy YN-467, I want some company

Last edited by shajufx : 15th June 2011 at 16:04.
Old 15th June 2011, 16:16   #7931
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
it is the photographer and his/her technique that matters.
LOL. Absolutely. The first time I met Rudra-da in person I decided to take my camera along. It was an ordinary camera (Canon 40D - APS-c sensor) with a non-L lens (17-55/2.8). But the images he shot. Wow! These were casual photos shot at a local dimly lit restraunt over lunch. No sets, lights, umbrellas, nothing. It was only then did I realise the full potential of the equipment I had.

I have never complained about my equipment since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_enthu_da View Post
I was looking for a not-so-pricey telephoto (maybe 70-300) lens for my EOS 450D and chanced upon the Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro lens (here's the flipkart listing). Reviews i read on the web seem to be in favor of the lens, except that it hunts for focus at the long end.

PS : i am thinking of ordering this from flipkart / getting from the local store sometime this week.
I have used a Tamron 70-300 lens on my BIL's Nikon D80 and it was

a. softer than the Nikon
b. did not focus as fast as the Nikon
c. hunted a bit but that did not disturb me as the hunting is only in the extreme long end.

The focus speed is what was the most disturbing.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 16:23   #7932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
As for me, for wedding photos, i think looking at warm colourful & glowing pictures would pull more strings of my heart than slightly sharper/crisper images.
The temperature of a picture can easily be adjusted by post processing. Ask a few worthies on this forum and you will not get a straight answer though on what is the best temperature for a picture. Quite rightly (or wrongly) "Some like it hot, some like it cold!"

On the video part, what you said is true, Canons do hold the edge. But I am old school and kind of dislike still cameras that go gung ho on their ability to take videos.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 15th June 2011 at 16:32.
typeOnegative is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 16:29   #7933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I have used a Tamron 70-300 lens on my BIL's Nikon D80 and it was
a. softer than the Nikon
b. did not focus as fast as the Nikon
c. hunted a bit but that did not disturb me as the hunting is only in the extreme long end.
The focus speed is what was the most disturbing.
thanks for the reply sir!
i am just getting started and on a budget now. hopefully will learn to use it in the manual focus mode if the focusing is too slow

btw, i just ordered the lens on flipkart. will post my experience with both the website and the lens once it arrives (delivery before 23 June)
Old 15th June 2011, 16:30   #7934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
.....an ordinary camera (Canon 40D - APS-c sensor) with a non-L lens (17-55/2.8).....Tamron 70-300 lens on my BIL's Nikon D80 and it was.....hunted a bit....
Navinji, if you term 40D as an ordinary camera and a 2.8 lens as an ordinary glass, what would we call the lower segments ? Rudra-da is not a photographer, he is a magician with few glasses (one on nose and few around the neck )

Tamron focus hunting is an issue with most of their glasses. I had a terrible time with the 90mm 2.8.
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 16:33   #7935
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Navinji, if you term 40D as an ordinary camera and a 2.8 lens as an ordinary glass, what would we call the lower segments ?
Compared to the body and glass Rudra and some others here own it is quite ordinary.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks