Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2009, 13:22   #766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
Finally, I joined the gang guys.. Got a Nikon D40x DSLR with a 18-55 VR lens. Its a very basic DSLR which i thought would be good for starting up. Will upgrade to a better one later.

Any person from Bangalore who will be free on weekend to teach me the basics. I know nothing about DSLRs other than Clicking in an auto mode.
Congrats! Enjoy the journey!
Old 14th April 2009, 13:36   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
I think that's a better decision. The new breed of IS enabled lenses like 55-250mm, 18-55mm are not really upto the mark lenses. They've just been pepped up due to stiff competition from Nikon's entry level VR series lenses. Otherwise, I personally feel that the 70-300 IS is way better. Though yes it's a bit steeply priced but it's worth that extra cost. Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens Review You can compare the images in this review for the 70-300 IS with 55-250 IS. Anyway...yes it's also true that if someone saves a bit more then they might get a L glass which is top notch in it's class.
Have you used it before making a comment such as that? I went with 30k in my pocket to get a 70-300 but ended up buying a 55-250 because after comparing both at the dealer, I couldn't justify paying nearly 2.5 times for the 70-300. I didn't even know the lens was already available at that time. The differences other than the reach were miniscule in real life plus if you are hand holding, the 55-250 will give you better pictures at lower shutter speeds as the IS system offers 4 stops of compensation vs 3 stops for the 70-300.

For me the 55-250 is a stop gap lens until I can afford a 100-400L. Used ones are going for 45-50 grand these days and that is a steal of a price.
Old 14th April 2009, 14:07   #768
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Before learning dSLR you need to learn photography. I suggest you sign up for Sudhir's class.

The Jungle Look/info/resources/photography-workshop
Thanks for the link samurai.. but the dates on the link are gone.. It was on 14 and 15th of March.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:21   #769
BHPian

wide angle?

looking for a wide angle. now dont you laugh, i am currently using 18 (- 55) to fill in. that essentially means 28mm adjusted focal.

limitations for the wide angle -
- should be EF

i was thinking 10 - 22 but that isnt IS. i think IS is a boon.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:47   #770
BHPian

Nikon announces the D5000 DSLR and 10-24 f3.5-4.5 wide angle lens

Nikon's announced a new DSLR (the D5000), that seems to occupy the spot between the D60 and D90. Its the D60 AF system and chassis with the D90 sensor, live view, video and a swivel screen. More here: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0904/09041 ... nd5000.asp

The more interesting announcement (for me) is the new 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 lens (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0904/09041 ... mmlens.asp). The price of $900 seems a bit high for a variable aperture zoom. There's already gossip doing the rounds about the design and manufacturing being shared with the Tamron version. Not sure if there's any substance to it. Previous Nikon lenses like the 70-300 ED have also had similar accusations levelled at them.
Old 14th April 2009, 15:58   #771
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, Can someone suggest a good lens to upgrade as i am still on the standard 18mm-55mm lens that came with my Nikon D40x.

My mom is coming back from US next month. So is it a good idea to buy online from any US online retailer and get it delivered there so she can carry it back when she returns?

a) Looking for VFM lens
b) Any link to the lens price would be helpful
c) Any link to it's review/comparison would also be much appreciated
d) Budget is Rs.10k-Rs.15k max
Old 14th April 2009, 16:19   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
looking for a wide angle. now dont you laugh, i am currently using 18 (- 55) to fill in. that essentially means 28mm adjusted focal.

- should be EF

For such a small focal length, IS is not essential if your hands are reasonably steady.
Old 14th April 2009, 16:30   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Guys, Can someone suggest a good lens to upgrade as i am still on the standard 18mm-55mm lens that came with my Nikon D40x.

My mom is coming back from US next month. So is it a good idea to buy online from any US online retailer and get it delivered there so she can carry it back when she returns?

a) Looking for VFM lens
I Suggest to go for 55-200 VR lens which will fit into your budget.
Old 14th April 2009, 16:40   #774
BHPian

RE: upgrade

Quote:
a) Looking for VFM lens
if you go in for that price range you might find it to be short on usefulness fairly soon

i assume you are looking for a general purpose. i know for canon a common move is to the 17 - 85 IS. you can perhaps look for something in similar spec. the canon 17 - 85 comes for Rs. 35 1/2 grand
Old 14th April 2009, 17:06   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

a) Looking for VFM lens
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I Suggest to go for 55-200 VR lens which will fit into your budget.
Mobike, apart from the 55-200 VR you could also buy the new $150 35mm f1.8 DX AF-S (which will give you autofocus with the D40s). Although you will duplicate a focal length you already have, what you will get is a much higher quality prime lens and will experience the pleasure of fast glass and the flexibility in aperture and depth of field control it brings.

Adorama and B&H Photo Video are reliable online retailers of photo gear in the US.

Last edited by StarScream : 14th April 2009 at 17:08.
Old 14th April 2009, 18:07   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Have you used it before making a comment such as that? I went with 30k in my pocket to get a 70-300 but ended up buying a 55-250 because after comparing both at the dealer, I couldn't justify paying nearly 2.5 times for the 70-300. I didn't even know the lens was already available at that time. The differences other than the reach were miniscule in real life plus if you are hand holding, the 55-250 will give you better pictures at lower shutter speeds as the IS system offers 4 stops of compensation vs 3 stops for the 70-300.

For me the 55-250 is a stop gap lens until I can afford a 100-400L. Used ones are going for 45-50 grand these days and that is a steal of a price.
Oh Yes Sir! I've very well used the lens before I made those comments. Though the 18-55mm IS is a tad better than the previous non-IS version. But, the kind of clarity and stability one expects from a zoom with IS is not what the 55-250mm IS offers. Specially in the clarity department. Yes ofcourse it's a tradeoff for ones who have a tight budget but definitely not for someone who's looking for clarity. It's a pretty much soft lens as such. The older 70-300mm IS in comparison to the 55-250mm beats that lens hands down any given day. This again I'm saying after having tested out both lenses. The group I photograph with have plenty of people who own both of those lenses and thus got the oppurtunity to test them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post

- should be EF

At such wide angles as Janitha has already pointed out. You'd hardly need IS. And boss there's nothing to laugh about...most of us use that as the wide angle lens. I do too. But, now I'm looking towards the Sigma 10-20mm or the Canon 10-22mm for a much needed wide angle lens. The Sigma is therotically a better lens and has proven to be giving better IQ than the Canon one. You can check the reviews and take a judgement. All the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
For such a small focal length, IS is not essential if your hands are reasonably steady.
Ditto! Couldn't have agreed more.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:45   #777
Senior - BHPian

Is the D40x still selling/available? Here in Delhi it is not...

Quote:
Finally, I joined the gang guys.. Got a Nikon D40x DSLR with a 18-55 VR lens. Its a very basic DSLR which i thought would be good for starting up. Will upgrade to a better one later.

Any person from Bangalore who will be free on weekend to teach me the basics. I know nothing about DSLRs other than Clicking in an auto mode.
Old 15th April 2009, 11:56   #778
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Is the D40x still selling/available? Here in Delhi it is not...
I don't know about India. This one is sourced form US.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:16   #779
BHPian

Quote:

There are quite a few videos for the D40/D40x that can downloaded off the net. It is good enough to familiarize yourself with the basics of these DSLRs.
Old 15th April 2009, 12:23   #780
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodelg View Post
There are quite a few videos for the D40/D40x that can downloaded off the net. It is good enough to familiarize yourself with the basics of these DSLRs.
any pointer of websites or links? It would be of great help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks