Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 20:13   #7096
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Any one experienced such an issue with their lens?
Since you are talking of Sigma lens and auto-focus not working, it may as well be an issue of the focus gears stripping on your lens, Sigma lenses probably use plastic gears which are easily stripped by accidentally holding a rotating front element during focus among other reasons. Some cameras also may have too powerful screw drive mechanisms to cause this kind of stripping.

I hope you get good service or replacement for your lens.
Old 15th April 2011, 22:46   #7097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
Since you are talking of Sigma lens and auto-focus not working, it may as well be an issue of the focus gears stripping on your lens, Sigma lenses probably use plastic gears which are easily stripped by accidentally holding a rotating front element during focus among other reasons. Some cameras also may have too powerful screw drive mechanisms to cause this kind of stripping.

I hope you get good service or replacement for your lens.
Yes I am aware of this and have taken extra care to avoid it. However, it did happen once long ago when a friend accidentally rotated it and the lens made a heart braking plasticy grinding noise. But this was long time ago. Replacement, I doubt. The lens is 2 years old.
Old 15th April 2011, 23:05   #7098
BANNED

hi all,i m on a vacation to bali on 1st week of may,want to know what lens will be ideal?

i have an 18-55 as of now,should i buy a 50mm prime or a 75-300 ?

i might take portraits and landscapes so will buy a lens according to your advice
Old 15th April 2011, 23:59   #7099
BHPian

If your primary needs are portrait and landscapes, why go for a telephoto? The 18-55 is a pretty versatile lens. You can get the 50mm f/1.8 (which everyone should get, IMHO). That lens is more than bang for the buck. Lets you shoot great portraits and is fast.
lucifer1881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2011, 01:49   #7100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
hi all,i m on a vacation to bali on 1st week of may,want to know what lens will be ideal?

i might take portraits and landscapes so will buy a lens according to your advice
which camera do you have?
depending on the crop factor of the sensor, you will get 35mm equivalent focal length. 18mm is a good wide angle for regular landscape pictures, but if you want to add that extra depth of field, you can buy 10-20mm with polaroids and then the camera will see more beautiful landscape than your eyes. i wish to get one such lens when i go to laddakh.

and as lucifer suggested, one must have 50mm f/1.8 prime and would cost within 5k.
Old 16th April 2011, 02:51   #7101
BHPian

Tanveer,
Et tu brute? :P. Congratulations on the new camera.

Now, seeing so many upgrades here (and thanks to talking to Shaju about lenses and FX bodies) I am tempted to go upgrade my 350D. The 350D was used when I got it, as there was no 1000D or anything else in that price range, so I am okay buying used cameras. My eyes have been on 7D for a long time and when I was doing a little research (Fridays do that you at work, you don't work), I came across a very very interesting program by Canon called "Canon Loyalty Program".

The CLP is available only in the US and is very tempting. Canon has some re-furbished DSLRs on sale and when you trade in your old camera you get a sweet 20% off the re-furbished price. As far as I have read, any camera (P&S or DSLR) working or non-working will do. So, I spoke to the CSR and she said the 7D will cost me $1086 plus taxes. With the tax refund coming my way, I think I'll have a 7D very very soon. They give a 90 days warranty and then I plan to get a 2 yrs extended warranty from adorama for $80.

So, now I have put up an ad on craigslist and hope to get a broken P&S for dirt cheap and trade that in for the re-furb 7D and then sell my 350D (gripped) and save some more money. If all goes well, I might have the 7D for about $800. For that price, I can't complain much. Anyone else from the US interested in this can look at this thread,

Canon Digital Photography Forums
Old 16th April 2011, 10:52   #7102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
...... Need a place that could check a Sigma lens.
Shetala Cameras (Authorised Sigma service center)
No.6-2-941, shop No3,
Upper Ground Floor,
Mohal's Emami Mansion,
(opp) Shaddan College, Chintal Basti Road,
Khairatabad, Hyderbad -500004
Ph.: 040-65768988
Fax: 040-23355679
Old 16th April 2011, 11:27   #7103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Tanveer,
Et tu brute? :P. Congratulations on the new camera.

Now, seeing so many upgrades here (and thanks to talking to Shaju about lenses and FX bodies) I am tempted to go upgrade my 350D. The 350D was used when I got it, as there was no 1000D or anything else in that price range, so I am okay buying used cameras. My eyes have been on 7D for a long time and when I was doing a little research (Fridays do that you at work, you don't work), I came across a very very interesting program by Canon called "Canon Loyalty Program".

The CLP is available only in the US and is very tempting. Canon has some re-furbished DSLRs on sale and when you trade in your old camera you get a sweet 20% off the re-furbished price. As far as I have read, any camera (P&S or DSLR) working or non-working will do. So, I spoke to the CSR and she said the 7D will cost me $1086 plus taxes. With the tax refund coming my way, I think I'll have a 7D very very soon. They give a 90 days warranty and then I plan to get a 2 yrs extended warranty from adorama for $80.

So, now I have put up an ad on craigslist and hope to get a broken P&S for dirt cheap and trade that in for the re-furb 7D and then sell my 350D (gripped) and save some more money. If all goes well, I might have the 7D for about $800. For that price, I can't complain much. Anyone else from the US interested in this can look at this thread,

Canon Digital Photography Forums
I would suggest to go for Canon 60D, feature wise it is equivelent to 7D, the only adavantage of the 7D is faster shutter speed, by seeing your photographs, I dont think you need faster shutter. You will save good amount of $$ to spend on some good lens.
Old 16th April 2011, 12:53   #7104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I would suggest to go for Canon 60D, feature wise it is equivelent to 7D, the only adavantage of the 7D is faster shutter speed, by seeing your photographs, I dont think you need faster shutter. You will save good amount of $$ to spend on some good lens.
@ Pawan: A little correction there. The shutter speeds are same(1/8000). I think you meant to say that the 7D is faster with 8fps Vs the 5.3 fps of the 60D.

The only advantage of the 60D is swivel screen. But the 7D has a faster focus speed (with different point selection options) and maximum number of configurable buttons. It would be a worthy upgrade from 350D for Hellwrath is what i feel.

@Hellwrath: Hope they have a 7D in stock for you . Good luck.
Old 16th April 2011, 12:58   #7105
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please note that it is now imperative for you to upload pictures directly to the Team-BHP Server. Click here (Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP) to view our simple help article on uploading pictures.

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th April 2011 at 15:07. Reason: See note in the post.
Old 16th April 2011, 14:38   #7106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
Attention all those wishing to buy a Canon or a Nikon in the future!

Both plants are currently shut due to the nuclear situation there and may not open for quite some time yet. Stocks in market may go down and it may not be possible to get a camera even at insane amounts. Get one now!
I thought most of the cams we get in India are manufactured in Thailand, Malaysia etc. So will the plants being shut in Japan affect the supply?
Old 16th April 2011, 14:57   #7107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Respectfully Disagree. 60D is more like a stripped down version of earlier XXD range of cameras actually. 60D's are neither here nor there. 7D is a much better bet than a 60D anyday. Actually after 7D launch, Canon has moved down the XXD range a bit lower towards XXXD range in terms of overall build and finish.

Filters:
While at filters, check this link of a test/review of almost 20+ filters ranging from Marumi to Hoya to B+W and more. Sure does help,
http://www.lenstip.com/115.1-article...roduction.html

Last edited by kaushik_s : 16th April 2011 at 15:05.
Old 16th April 2011, 17:30   #7108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post

Hi josh:

For Bali, I would imagine a ultrawide zoom like 10-20 or a 35 mm prime should be better I think. Keep in miind that a 30 or 35 mm prime is the normal lens for a cropped sensor (like the 50 mm was for film).

I don't know if there are a lot of telephoto opportunities in a place like Bali (I may be totally wrong here).
Old 16th April 2011, 18:23   #7109
BHPian

Hey Tanveer: Congrats on the new acquisition. I believe D7000 is really a great body with several benefits over D300S. I have the 70-300 mm VR, and it has served me rather well during my tours to central Indian parks but is a little short for wildlife.

Shaju: Surprised to hear that you are contemplating moving to the Canon club. Actually I was thinking on the same lines as well on account of Canon's portfolio of telephotos. .

Will be closely following Tanveer's remarks on the Nikon and Shaju your Go/No-Go on Canon.

Cheers!
Old 16th April 2011, 19:22   #7110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
7D is a weather sealed body.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
Hey Tanveer: Congrats on the new acquisition. I believe D7000 is really a great body with several benefits over D300S. I have the 70-300 mm VR, and it has served me rather well during my tours to central Indian parks but is a little short for wildlife.

Shaju: Surprised to hear that you are contemplating moving to the Canon club. Actually I was thinking on the same lines as well on account of Canon's portfolio of telephotos. .

Will be closely following Tanveer's remarks on the Nikon and Shaju your Go/No-Go on Canon.

Cheers!
Thanks fbs!
Only when my lenses come I will truly start shooting and realize the difference.
Only thing I notice now is the better SNR as compared to my 350D at high ISO, and ability to shoot ISO 12800 or even 25600
The sound of the shutter is also less in your face, and I like the way they have implemented Continous shooting and mirror lock up.

Most Viewed