Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2011, 07:38   #6946
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
Ken Rockwell is more of a Nikon-ist at his heart. He is not regarded as the best by devout Canon fans. Bob Atkins is one who holds the Canon bastion.

Really speaking, I like to go by some neutral sources than these gentlemen. my preferred sites are dpreview, lenstip.com and occasionally photozone.de
Very true observation about Mr. Rockwell, though I must confess he cuts Canon some slack when it comes to Point and Shoots. LOL. Never heard of the other guy. Is he the diet person?

Will try the last two sites you mentioned. I have tried dpreview, but find it too confusing and users there can be very subjective and opinionated as well.

BTW, the D5100 has arrived I think. Saw something on the Nikon site.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 7th April 2011 at 07:45. Reason: New information.
Old 7th April 2011, 09:53   #6947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Well seeing the location of EP I would suggest smartshoppers in Chennai or RK / Jayesh in Bangalore.

If you are purchasing online then JJMehta or smartshoppers is good source.
Latest Quote which I got yesterday.
550D Body - 34915/-
Which will include 4GB card, Carry Case and 3000/- worth accessories

Lenses:
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - 20K
28-75 f/2.8 - 22K
Canon 55-250 - 10.5K
50 f/1.8 II - 4780/-

Please suggest me friends.
Old 7th April 2011, 11:18   #6948
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I miss the Compact Flash card in 1100D, CF cards are faster compare to SD card.
"Class 6" SD cards are more than adequare for 17Mbps video. FOr 24Mbps you might need a faster card.

My wife has used Class 6 cards with her Canon HF10 for over 2 years now.
Old 7th April 2011, 12:00   #6949
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Pawan, start buying bodies and lenses and review them in video format. Very soon Canon will start sending you latest products for reviews, they will also allow you to keep them . Thats how we have many Ken Rockwells around us.
Initial investment is too high

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
"Class 6" SD cards are more than adequare for 17Mbps video. FOr 24Mbps you might need a faster card.

My wife has used Class 6 cards with her Canon HF10 for over 2 years now.
Do you suggest to buy Class 10, though manual suggest to use Class 6, price difference is very nominal.
Old 7th April 2011, 12:00   #6950
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kites View Post
Latest Quote which I got yesterday.
550D Body - 34915/-
Which will include 4GB card, Carry Case and 3000/- worth accessories

Lenses:
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - 20K
28-75 f/2.8 - 22K
Canon 55-250 - 10.5K
50 f/1.8 II - 4780/-

Please suggest me friends.

Flipkart has the 550D body at 32375, though it is out of stock there currently

Canon EOS 550D Price India: SLR Camera: Flipkart Cameras
Old 7th April 2011, 12:25   #6951
Senior - BHPian

Well Typeonegative Bob Atkins is better and more technical in this approach where as Rockwell is always subjective with out facts and figures.

But if you can read charts and understand numbers photozone.de is best for comparison and reaching your conclusions staying clear of FUD from either Camp.

Example of Bob Atkins (Canon) FUD.

You need high MP sensor in XYZ body to utilize the resolution provided by your XYZ Canon L / Carl Zeiss ( insert any costly lens here) ignoring conveniently that lens resolution in LP /mm even of best lenses is in order of 67 - 80 and sensor is not actually out-resolved in any modern camera body.

Also the same argument is often used other way round to peddle costly lens with High MP body stating that flaws will be visible with high MP body
again convinently ignoring that human ratina resolution is 50 Cycels per minute and if you take whole eye ( not just ratina) then it is 30 CPD which translates to 60 LP per arc minute and anything above is purely a number.

Examples of Rockwell FUD ,

In 2007 the FUD was CCD is better then CMOS because all nikons were CCD by 2010 this factoid just disappeared because Nikon ( basically Sony) moved to CMOS.

2009-2010 Nikon FUD
Pixel pitch on Canon XYZ sensor is too small so less real estate for photons , totally ignoring that Photons have dual nature so nothing such as size is applicable and wavelength ( only thing which comes close to size ) is in nanometers where as pixel pitch is in micrometers so there is a difference in size of order of 1000 atleast.

Cut to 2011 Nikon releases 5100 with 16 MP sensor and this FUD will die natural death
Old 7th April 2011, 13:37   #6952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Initial investment is too high ....
May be, but it will pay off eventually. You also have the liberty to beg on your site giving atleast 5 links in between reviews telling, "I support my family and kids with this page, please donate here and here and here" And you get income opportunities by linking up with Adorama, B&H, Amazon, Ebay etc. Hope you got my point.

And about Ken 'Pathar'well, reading one review will scream that he is a Nikon biased guy, there is nothing hidden about it. He does not care anyway. Why should he ? If Nikon is supporting my family expenses, I will definitely promote even the crappiest product from them, after all its my bread that I am more concerned about.

End of the day, its not a brand that makes our image, its our eyes and sense of creativity ! Nikon and Canon have not started selling them till date

Last edited by shajufx : 7th April 2011 at 13:38.
Old 7th April 2011, 20:19   #6953
EP.
BHPian

Guys, i need your two cents on purchasing a SD card for my 60D, should I go for the Ultra or the Extreme III type considering the HD video recording feature in the camera? Also how much should it should cost for a 16GB card for each of the two types?
Old 8th April 2011, 03:21   #6954
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP. View Post
Guys, i need your two cents on purchasing a SD card for my 60D, should I go for the Ultra or the Extreme III type considering the HD video recording feature in the camera? Also how much should it should cost for a 16GB card for each of the two types?
60D has Hi-Def Video and in order to extract the best out of it, you need a card which is 20MB per sec or more. Just to keep yourself in a slight zone of safety, because most cards have an acceptable error range of + or - 1 MB per sec to the stated 20 MB per sec, I recommend you to go for 30 MB per sec speeds.
Class 6 or above should suffice.

Cheers
Prasad
Old 8th April 2011, 09:20   #6955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
60D has Hi-Def Video and in order to extract the best out of it, you need a card which is 20MB per sec or more. Just to keep yourself in a slight zone of safety, because most cards have an acceptable error range of + or - 1 MB per sec to the stated 20 MB per sec, I recommend you to go for 30 MB per sec speeds.

Cheers
Prasad
I second that. Camera specifies Class 6. It can sustain the maximum throughput needed by your camera. Transcend is a good brand, and you can check on ebay.in for approximate India prices.
Old 8th April 2011, 09:50   #6956
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I own a Nikon D70 and the Sigma 18-55 lens.

I would like to buy another lens. Which one should I buy? Sigma 70-300 or a wide lens?

Please suggest.

Thanks
Old 8th April 2011, 11:02   #6957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cheer
Prasad
Class 6 is actually 6MBps that is 48 mbps minimum.

Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You need more speed in case of burst shooting of Stills rather then Video the video frame size never exceeds 1080P ( 1920X1080 ) at 30 FPS
out of these 30 frames only P Frame is complete frame and intermediate frames are I frames which are less in size. So thats why for full HD recording you do not need very high speed and even Class 4 works

Where as in case of a camera shooting RAW at 3.7 FPS for example the data burst goes much much higher because each Picture size is more then 20MB and the total data generated is 20X3.7 MB/Sec or 592 Mbps , on a Canon 60D body it is 6FPS so camera will generate 20X6 = 120 MB or 960mbps.

Now Camera body has certain amount of buffer storage but you need to continue shooting for longer duration in burst mode then you need fast card to empty this buffer .So you need go for higher then Class 10 such SDXC cards which 60D and 7D supports. If you don't have moolah to spend then be patient and don't use camera as assault rifle.

Class 10 ( 10 MBps or 60 mbps minimum) is a good compromise between money and performance. However you can buy UHS-1 ( SDXC card) as well because 60D body supports it if you have cash to spare

Last edited by amitk26 : 8th April 2011 at 11:06.
Old 8th April 2011, 11:53   #6958
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

Transcend's online store has the class10 at the same rate as class 6 :-)
Go GET IT! Don't even think!
Old 8th April 2011, 12:37   #6959
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do you suggest to buy Class 10, though manual suggest to use Class 6, price difference is very nominal.
Quote:
60D has Hi-Def Video and in order to extract the best out of it, you need a card which is 20MB per sec or more. ..Class 6 or above should suffice.
I have used Class 6 cards in my 60D and they work.
Old 8th April 2011, 18:29   #6960
EP.
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Class 6 is actually 6MBps that is 48 mbps minimum.

Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You need more speed in case of burst shooting of Stills rather then Video the video frame size never exceeds 1080P ( 1920X1080 ) at 30 FPS
out of these 30 frames only P Frame is complete frame and intermediate frames are I frames which are less in size. So thats why for full HD recording you do not need very high speed and even Class 4 works

Where as in case of a camera shooting RAW at 3.7 FPS for example the data burst goes much much higher because each Picture size is more then 20MB and the total data generated is 20X3.7 MB/Sec or 592 Mbps , on a Canon 60D body it is 6FPS so camera will generate 20X6 = 120 MB or 960mbps.

Now Camera body has certain amount of buffer storage but you need to continue shooting for longer duration in burst mode then you need fast card to empty this buffer .So you need go for higher then Class 10 such SDXC cards which 60D and 7D supports. If you don't have moolah to spend then be patient and don't use camera as assault rifle.

Class 10 ( 10 MBps or 60 mbps minimum) is a good compromise between money and performance. However you can buy UHS-1 ( SDXC card) as well because 60D body supports it if you have cash to spare
@Amitk- so are all SDXC cards class 10? what is the difference between a SDXC card and SDHC card?

Check this site - jjmehta.com eShop

Its specifies SDXC cards @ 15MBPS and SDHC cards( extreme type) @ 20MBPS. So shouldn't I go for SDHC Extreme then?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks