Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2011, 10:34   #6676
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo8 View Post
@ SilkDrive : I own a EOS 500D, Bought this with the 18-200 kit and I'm quite happy with the camera. As I progressed Upgraded my lens to 24-70 and 70-200 f2.8, retaining the body. If I upgrade It will only be to a FF sensor.

Though camera makes a very little difference with your photos,I would suggest investing in some good lenses along. ALso get the 18-200 Kit with the 500D, its quite wide and got a good tele.
Be careful while buying lenses, if you ultimately want to upgrade to FF Sensor.

A lot of popular (and relatively inexpensive) lenses are designed for DX Sensor, and may pose problems with FF Sensor.
Old 8th March 2011, 11:18   #6677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
Thank you gd and evo !

Hot waters it is... so please allow me to correct myself. I was referring to only the "500D" and "D3100" by the words "Canon" and "Nikon" respectively. Did not make that statement for the brands in general.
I was going to say what gd1418 said, but all is good.

Between the 500D and the D3100, I would say that the 500D will allow you to be more creative. Why are you not looking at the D5000 as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Shaju, if other shooters shoot the subject away, it might be a good idea to shoot the shooters... A copy for me too..
As has been done here? (At a wedding where there was a combination of the Indian Army, Air Force and Navy). This photograph has been taken with a non-DSLR, but very DSLR looking HS10. Missed the deadline and hence a post in succession. Would request the moderators to combine the two posts if required.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-4912518189_d8d69dcee5_b_d.jpg  

Last edited by Samurai : 8th March 2011 at 12:22. Reason: back-to-back post
Old 8th March 2011, 13:38   #6678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post

Trying to shoot something unique these days have become a very very tough job. You shoot a bird, there are 100s of similar images over the web ! You shoot a macro, you get 1000s of them again. You shoot an air show, you find 100 people post the same image same angle and even the same jet ! Luckily I missed the Kambala festival (buffalo race). ......
That's exactly why I lost interest a few years ago. With digital cameras flooding the market, I felt the skills I had acquired (apertures, shutter speed, developing , printing etc) had no place in modern photography. It took almost 6 years for me to jump in the wagon again with a DSLR.

Now I enjoy my photography rather than the photos I take.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:52   #6679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
That's exactly why I lost interest a few years ago. With digital cameras flooding the market, I felt the skills I had acquired (apertures, shutter speed, developing , printing etc) had no place in modern photography. It took almost 6 years for me to jump in the wagon again with a DSLR.

Now I enjoy my photography rather than the photos I take.
The film is not dead but it is still among the elite!!!

Flickr: I Shoot Film

Flickr: FILM-INDIA

Though I have entered the world of photography with digital cameras, but now I am taking the film route to enjoy all the activities associated with film cameras. I shoot with an all manual Canon Canonet QL19.

Raj.
Old 8th March 2011, 16:12   #6680
BHPian

@ kkr2k2

Yeah , film photography has its own charm. I very well remember the contests I had attended during my college days. You will get a 12 frame B&W 35mm film role. You have to shoot with a theme, develop and print your photos and display the best 3 for the judges. Used to be real fun.

The best moment of film photography is when you collect the photos from the printer and check whether you have 35 good ones inside.
Old 8th March 2011, 17:09   #6681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
....I would rather suggest you to go for the 60mm f/2.8. It shall do all that of a 50mm and some more - Macro
GD, I had a Tamron 90mm dedicated macro lens, but the macro mania did not last more than 4 months, disposed off that lens long back. The 50mm 1.4 is supposed to remain on the camera 90% of the time, specially when I am travelling. So, I dont have to worry about day or night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I think you have explored into all kind of topics in the past couple years. Now think about what was most satisfying, and focus on that. Don't worry about what everybody else is doing, this is not a career move where you need to think about competition.
That was a genuine advise and very similar to my thoughts. I dont think I will ever look at photography as a career. Its a respected career right now, but somehow I cant take the commitment, responsibility and the seriousness involved in the professional line. Its a pleasure to do it as hobby and the learning can continue without issues. We cant show bad images to a newly married couple and tell them "oh I was experimenting a new lighting technique"

In fact self satisfaction comes when we do something unique, not copying a frozen water fall or yawning tiger or 'copy paste' something from Flickr or such sites. Someone gave me a link on Facebook Overused Photography Tricks Please excuse the crude language used there.

Finally, 35mm f/1.8G is OUT and 50mm f/1.4 D is IN (15.5 from Jayesh)
The DSLR Thread-50mm1.4.jpg

I also picked up a Simpex reflective umbrella (32 inch) and stand.
Old 8th March 2011, 18:46   #6682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finally, 35mm f/1.8G is OUT and 50mm f/1.4 D is IN (15.5 from Jayesh)
I also picked up a Simpex reflective umbrella (32 inch) and stand.
Congrats Shaju...look forward to seeing more great photos from you using this lens.

Regards,

Last edited by R2D2 : 8th March 2011 at 18:48. Reason: corrected typo
Old 8th March 2011, 18:51   #6683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In fact self satisfaction comes when we do something unique, not copying a frozen water fall or yawning tiger or 'copy paste' something from Flickr or such sites. Someone gave me a link on Facebook Overused Photography Tricks Please excuse the crude language used there.
Saw this link , I wonder same kind of things can be said for every other thing add some more cliches to the list like portraits ,reverse lens insect macros , telephoto birds , ultra wide landscape and now you can safely put your camera for sale and find some new hobby.
Old 8th March 2011, 18:57   #6684
Senior - BHPian

I am one of the kind who thinks photography is for my own pleasure and time pass. I will never stop taking a frozen water fall or yawning tiger just because there are 1000 of instances on the web.

The pleasure of photography just derives from the effort one puts in to get that frozen water fall or by dragging our body down the ground to get a picture of a bird or a deer.

Photography is for pleasure. I will never have a photography business even if i am super good in that. (no, i am not good in that). It just takes the life out of the pleasure.
Old 8th March 2011, 20:20   #6685
BHPian

I'm still a student of photography !!!

Quote:
In fact self satisfaction comes when we do something unique, not copying a frozen water fall or yawning tiger or 'copy paste' something from Flickr or such sites.
@Shajufx , I completely disagree with this point. To be Honest I learnt photography by imitating frames. There is no other way to learn how to compose pictures. In-fact I spent hours in single location and trying to figure out how to get that frame and trust me, when you try to imitate photographers like Steve Mc Curry, You have to go sweat, see beyond what others around you see to get that picture. After trying this couple of times, my eye got trained what to look for and my pictures started to improve.

Another classic example

The DSLR Thread-4989106945_386d6385fc.jpg

Just remove the person from this picture, you will find that composition in every cambodia album. Its what you see and how you build the story out of your picture.

Another classic mistake : We click a picture and build a story around it. The right approach is to frame your picture (Subject, Light, Composition) and click it, you will see a lot of difference in your pictures.

Learning to accept criticism, esp folks who buy a DSLR and start clicking and pictures and brag about them, Any critic on the picture will prick their ego and the only response "Dont think you are professional to judge me". If a person is learning photography, for sure he would accept the criticism.

Again all these are just my views, I dont intend to hurt anyone!! for some reason this has become a very sensitive topic with my cousins and friends which I'm trying to avoid.

Quote:
film photography has its own charm. I very well remember the contests I had attended during my college days. You will get a 12 frame B&W 35mm film role. You have to shoot with a theme, develop and print your photos and display the best 3 for the judges. Used to be real fun.
I started clicking with a film and migrated to digital. Even today sometimes I put a tape across the display and force myself to shoot only 36 frames. Its a bit difficult but exciting at the end of the shoot.
Old 8th March 2011, 21:04   #6686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Saw this link , I wonder same kind of things can be said for every other thing add some more......and now you can safely put your camera for sale and find some new hobby.
Amit, as long as we are seeing ourselves in the 'Hobby' field, there is no end to it, you can take it to any level you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am one of the kind who thinks photography is for my own pleasure and time pass......I will never have a photography business even if i am super good in that. (no, i am not good in that). It just takes the life out of the pleasure.
Majority of us do it for our own pleasure and time pass, thats why its called a 'hobby' Does not mean Pros do not enjoy what they are doing, thats another level of photography which you and I may not reach however hard we try. Producing stunning images itself is not everything in PRO field, it has lot of hard work, meeting timelines and expectations, commitment to clients and many things like that. If all my income resources are closed, I might start clicking for earning my daily bread, however small that is, nothing wrong. But thats another way of life altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo8 View Post
....I completely disagree with this point. To be Honest I learnt photography by imitating frames. There is no other way to learn how to compose pictures.
There is nothing to disagree here, thats the way learning is. Everything in life is that way. You observe, imitate, and improve your own style out of it. Take any field: Dancing, acting, singing, martial arts, driving, swimming.... If you dont have someone to show what it is, there is no learning.

What I meant is finding your own uniqueness, which is the toughest thing to achieve. Recently there was a photography exhibition in Bangalore on a single subject: WALLS. Sounds funny, but the photographer made a story out of every image. How often you see someone clicking empty walls ?

In the year 2032, I might do an exhibition on FACES: Please do come
Old 8th March 2011, 21:22   #6687
Senior - BHPian

If I live that long..

Quote:

In the year 2032, I might do an exhibition on FACES: Please do come
Old 8th March 2011, 22:33   #6688
BHPian

@Shaju - congrats on the 50mm 1.4. Waiting to see what you capture with this Prime.
Old 8th March 2011, 23:35   #6689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can't stomach the attitude of the author of that page. He seems to be really annoyed with some photographer friend of his for some reason.

Quote:
This one pisses me off, because professionals do it all the time. Amateurs making these mistakes is one thing, but people who make their living from photographs? That’s a whole different story. Seriously, I can’t count how many mall photography stores have the same **** photos of waterfalls and waves, taken over long exposure so they look like a soft and gentle mist.
He says that the long exposure images pisses him off because the pros do it all the time! Let the pros of amateurs do it, what's his problem? What kind of point he is trying to make? That no-one should attempt a long exposure because it is 'horribly' overused?

Like Amit said, add portraits, telephoto birds and landscapes to the list and it is complete! Photography is done with :(
Old 9th March 2011, 00:00   #6690
BHPian

I have been following this discussion with interest.

Is the basic premise seemingly that "everything worth shooting has already been shot so why bother"?

Surely that is not so would be my contention, and please note that using or perfecting or modifying existing techniques in no way diminishes the beauty and value of the picture taken, and that a new technique is not a requisite.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks