Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2011, 13:11   #6376
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Guys, need your help, i'm looking at the Sony DSC w360 and the TX5, which of these should i go in for? The w360, works out to Rs10,000 and the TX5 a little lesser.

Need to decide quick guys!

Last edited by rg_chn : 10th February 2011 at 13:13.
Old 10th February 2011, 13:24   #6377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Guys, need your help, i'm looking at the Sony DSC w360 and the TX5, which of these should i go in for? The w360, works out to Rs10,000 and the TX5 a little lesser.

This is the wrong thread my friend. Before giving a suggestion it will be helpful to know what you like to shoot.
Old 10th February 2011, 14:04   #6378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post

You may post it here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...sions-etc.html
Old 10th February 2011, 16:17   #6379
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
For action shots, USM will help. While the IS helps you take pics with less shake at considerably lower shutter speeds than non-IS lenses!!

Choose according to your requirement. If you have the moolah by a lens with both USM and IS!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Apart from what already stated, USM lens has very low motor whine/noise as well which become critical while shooting in the wild. A little extra noise can scare away an animal/bird.

BTW what have you shortlisted?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Either both or none and thats why lens manufacturer make them that way.
Canon IS USM , Sigma OS HSM go hand in hand for telephoto these days.

There are some lenses which do not have IS but only USM but mostly macro and short focal length such as Canon 100 F2.8 Macro USM.

Lets see why , USM/HSM means faster Auto Focus , You will need fast AF for something like a moving bird / running kid /pets etc. So for something which is moving fast to frame it better you can not just tighten the clamp of your tripod head and wait for subject to arrive in frame.

This means either hand held or a loosened tripod head which needs very fast shutter speed which in turn means either a very bright day or larger Aperture to keep light metering same or meaning $$$.
So here steps in the IS/OS and you can still shoot with up to three stops lower ( with corresponding change in shutter speed of-course)

You can in fact choose to shoot with small aperture to give high DOF with High shutter speed on a bright sunny day with lens firmly tightened on tripod anticipate the movement to prefocus and click when subject is framed properly and you then you don't need IS and USM if you have skills to do this properly have a lot of patience and don't regret the missed shots.

Now if you have a fast USM AF, wide aperture , High FL and IS it is best of the world but that comes in white color at sky high price

Thank you all for the suggestions,

I was offered a Canon 70-300 for 6500k without IS and USM so i was wondering if it is worth that money? its a 3 months old len.

i can get a 75-300 III USM for 11k so am very much confused ,also 55-250 is supposed to be a great lens but it doesnt have USM but has IS

Other options are brand new sigma
1. 70-300 DG macro for 7k
2.70-300 APO DG MACRO @ 11k
3. 18-200 OS HSM @ 18k

Though i can spend 18k on the last one i am skeptical on the image quality

Suggest me the cheap and best option as i cannot expect any resale value for lens which do not have OS/IS and HSM/USM

Last edited by joshguy : 10th February 2011 at 16:18.
Old 10th February 2011, 16:53   #6380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Suggest me the cheap and best option as i cannot expect any resale value for lens which do not have OS/IS and HSM/USM
And you still haven't mentioned your intended use with the lens!!!
Old 10th February 2011, 17:06   #6381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was offered a Canon 70-300 for 6500k without IS and USM so i was wondering if it is worth that money? its a 3 months old len.

i can get a 75-300 III USM for 11k so am very much confused ,also 55-250 is supposed to be a great lens but it doesnt have USM but has IS

Other options are brand new sigma
1. 70-300 DG macro for 7k
2.70-300 APO DG MACRO @ 11k
3. 18-200 OS HSM @ 18k

Though i can spend 18k on the last one i am skeptical on the image quality

First besides focal length the optical formula ( number of elements and groups etc.) decide the image quality.

Canon 70-300 ( old one with out IS and USM) and Canon 75-300 are two worst lenses canon ever made and they are discontinued long back and that is the reason they go for a song while all other old Canon lenses either retain the value or even appreciate.

I would sugggest go for a 70-300 APO DG MACRO avoid without APO or consider Canon 55-250 IS in this budget depending on your need.
Old 10th February 2011, 21:46   #6382
BHPian

Quote:
hi all,while buying a 70-300 which feature is important IS or USM? i mean image stabilizer or Faster autofocus?

I don't even have a Digital SLR yet, But I know our faster than the auto focus! I would say IS.
Old 10th February 2011, 22:48   #6383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I bought the Hoya UV(N) from Savithri Photo House, Coimbatore.

You get UV(C) only now, that too with B&W.

Hoya's International product portfolio/catalogue no longer has the HMC UV(N). Seems like they have discontinued it. I can try getting you one from here, if needed.

Here is their catalog. The price list is from InterFoto. You might also wanna check MediaHome.in, which give better prices for Hoya filters.
Thanks ! I need the CPL 52mm and 58mm mainly. Will check out mediahome.in
Old 11th February 2011, 10:21   #6384
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
And you still haven't mentioned your intended use with the lens!!!
Am really D ,the usage will be for nature ,birds wildlife,people .i would say bit of everything

Quote:
First besides focal length the optical formula ( number of elements and groups etc.) decide the image quality.
All this is like Latin for me! can you please explain in simple words please?

Last edited by joshguy : 11th February 2011 at 10:47.
Old 11th February 2011, 10:47   #6385
BHPian

Quote:
Am really ,the usage will be for nature ,birds wildlife,people .i would say bit of everything
You need fatser lens for Birds and wildlife. Even for people in motion! So you should go with USM/AF-S/HSM functionality. IS tend to slow down focusing, and tend to 'miss' the shot. USM with Tripod will do a better serves your need.
Old 11th February 2011, 10:48   #6386
Team-BHP Support

What does IS have to do with focus??
Old 11th February 2011, 11:18   #6387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
You need fatser lens for Birds and wildlife. Even for people in motion! So you should go with USM/AF-S/HSM functionality. IS tend to slow down focusing, and tend to 'miss' the shot. USM with Tripod will do a better serves your need.
Raghu a bit of correction in lens terminology Faster does not refer to the speed of AF motor , Word faster means how fast can be the shutter speed keeping the light meter reading same or in other word how wide the aperture can open.

So an F2.8 with a crappy DC motor is a faster lens then F5.6 USM and it involves more glass so it is costly as well.

Secondly USM with tripod will not serve the purpose for street or bird photography until birds decide to sit and pose. You need a fast ( as in wider aperture) to keep the shutter speed high and freeze the motion.

An IS system reduces the shake , So you can work at 3 stops lower that means you can keep the shutter speed much slower and allow more light in if there is an IS system instead of necessarily buying a Fast ( Lower F number and wider aperture lens) which is uber costly.
Old 11th February 2011, 12:28   #6388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
What does IS have to do with focus??
Its noting to do with Focusing, but it 'increases' time to get lock on (to stabilize the shakes).

Quote:
Raghu a bit of correction in lens terminology Faster does not refer to the speed of AF motor , Word faster means how fast can be the shutter speed keeping the light meter reading same or in other word how wide the aperture can open.
This is true. But I am only replying in OP's context. OP's couldn't afford 'pro' lens. In this context, faster means how fast auto focus can happen(Since aperture remains same) and continuous focusing also can happen.

Quote:
An IS system reduces the shake , So you can work at 3 stops lower that means you can keep the shutter speed much slower and allow more light in if there is an IS system instead of necessarily buying a Fast ( Lower F number and wider aperture lens) which is uber costly.
This too makes sense.

However if bird/subject is moving needing continuous focus wouldn't USM lens do better job?
Old 11th February 2011, 12:37   #6389
BHPian

Need help choosing a tripod to use with my D3100 + 18-55mm and 55-200mm Lenses. Have no idea about the things to look for, brands etc. Main purpose is long exposure night photography, some portability would be convenient. Please suggest.
Old 11th February 2011, 13:14   #6390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
However if bird/subject is moving needing continuous focus wouldn't USM lens do better job?
Not necessarily always the intnetion is to take a good sharp picture and not worry about how it is achieved. First point in auto focus detection is the algorithm emplyed to detect the focus point. If amount of light is good the focal point is calculated faster and there is no need for motor to hunt too much.
In case of Canon 55-250 IS you can lower the shutter speed so allow faster focus. I have used 55-300 and it locks focus quite fast and motor does not hunt.

I must confess I have never used Canon 75-300 but this is based of whatever I read about this leans

See first thing to look is the quality of glass in case of OP the lens he is looking at is Canon 75-300 USM , This is an old lens with less then steller quality and thats why Canon discontinued it. Image quality of 55-250 IS is much better

However if 300mm is prime concern then Sigma 70-300 APO DG is much much better choice in given budget.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks