Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 10:50   #6301
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
As I already have the standard 18/55 Nikkor lens, it makes sense to go with 55/200 or 55/300, I really do not know if I really need a 55/300, long shot stability is the question in my mind

Cheers
Go for the 55-300, it will give you further reach when you want it.
Old 7th February 2011, 11:56   #6302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
What is the objective? Three of my lenses have three different diameters. I have a CPL which is 62mm, but I use it on my 55mm diameter lens with a adapter ring.
I need to know the max size of filter i should choose, (58 mm is enough for most Canon lenses, but few need 72mm) that would suit my varied lens usage.
Old 7th February 2011, 12:20   #6303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I need to know the max size of filter i should choose, (58 mm is enough for most Canon lenses, but few need 72mm) that would suit my varied lens usage.
In case of a regular UV, buy one for each lens you have. The CPL etc, buy the size matching the biggest lens you have and adapters for the smaller lenses.
Old 7th February 2011, 12:27   #6304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Any way looks like Minolta MD mount , Which camera you have ?

It is a auto focus suitable for Sony . I have a Sony A500
Old 7th February 2011, 12:54   #6305
BHPian

Quote:
1:5X macro is not macro in any sense should be called close focus.
Any way looks like Minolta MD mount , Which camera you have ?
This is no way a MD lens. It is an Auto focus and will mount on any Sony DSLR beautifully. For $25 its not just worth, but a great deal. Vivitars are not so famous for Sony Alpha but that does not mean they are good. They do perform very well

Rajeev
Old 7th February 2011, 12:55   #6306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
In case of a regular UV, buy one for each lens you have. The CPL etc, buy the size matching the biggest lens you have and adapters for the smaller lenses.
Thanks for the reply mate. I came across a filter which was UV+CPL by Hoya. In that case, is it advisable to buy the largest diameter for the same? (72mm)
Old 7th February 2011, 15:01   #6307
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the reply mate. I came across a filter which was UV+CPL by Hoya. In that case, is it advisable to buy the largest diameter for the same? (72mm)
The CPL filter will be used in specific scenarios whereas UV or protective filters are mostly left on the lens, that is why Jaguar suggested to get a UV filter of correct size for each lens that you have and for other special filters like CPL, ND etc., buy the biggest dia among your lenses and use step-down adapters to use the same on smaller dia lenses.

If you buy the UV+CPL from Hoya as you mentioned, you can not use it for protection of the lens at all times.

The step down adapter rings are pretty cheap compared to the cost of a good quality filter, so makes every sense to buy biggest filter and use rings to fit to smaller dia lenses.
Old 7th February 2011, 15:04   #6308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
The CPL filter will be used in specific scenarios whereas UV or protective filters are mostly left on the lens, that is why Jaguar suggested to get a UV filter of correct size for each lens that you have and for other special filters like CPL, ND etc., buy the biggest dia among your lenses and use step-down adapters to use the same on smaller dia lenses.

If you buy the UV+CPL from Hoya as you mentioned, you can not use it for protection of the lens at all times.

The step down adapter rings are pretty cheap compared to the cost of a good quality filter, so makes every sense to buy biggest filter and use rings to fit to smaller dia lenses.
Thanks for the explanation. So, does it make sense if i buy a 72mm UV filter for now and use a step-down adapter, though as of now i need only a 58mm one?
Old 7th February 2011, 15:54   #6309
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. So, does it make sense if i buy a 72mm UV filter for now and use a step-down adapter, though as of now i need only a 58mm one?
UV filters are best bought for each lens and in the same dia as the lens so that you can leave it on the lens all the time.
So a "no" is the humble opinion, probably better to buy a 58mm UV filter of moderate quality instead.

The step down adapter makes sense for high quality and costly filters which are not in use all the time and hence can be fitted to different lenses when a particular lighting condition demands their use for a specific lens that you may be using.
Old 7th February 2011, 17:16   #6310
BHPian

Canon gently updates its entry-level dSLR and accessories lineup
Canon has added two more cameras in entry level DSLR range one at the top end and one at bottom.details are as given below;
Canon gently updates its entry-level dSLR and accessories lineup | Crave - CNET
Old 7th February 2011, 18:07   #6311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
15mm difference between 18-55 and 70-300mm is nothing, just a step forward/backward and it will be covered.

I would again say, if budget is there go for 70-300mm, its much better. Search net for comparison among all three. I did the same and then settled for 70-300mm.
Thanks for the advice. I can see you are very happy with the 70/300 Quite honestly the differential in price of 55/300 & 70/300 is a wee bit more than justifiable vis a vis performance. So I think I will go with 55/300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Go for the 55-300, it will give you further reach when you want it.

Thanks for the advice. Like I said the 55/300 should cut it. But the funny thing is none of the guys here in Gurgaon seem to have lenses seperately. So I guess I have to buy one off the net, which I hate to without seeing the physical product.

Cheers
Old 7th February 2011, 18:12   #6312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need UV filter just for protection of front element from dust and scratches , In film days UV blocking was required to prevent haze but on DSLR it is not needed from IQ point of view. Some people say that it is not at all needed as Cheap UV filter will cause internal reflections and flare.

But if you shoot in little hazardous conditions like with a little kid who touch lens front you need a protective filter, Almost all kids under 5 years will do it so you need UV to block fingers of kids and not UV rays.

A Hoya HMC UV( N) filter just costs 750 Rupees in 58mm diameter it blocks UV ( A/B) which is immaterial for DSLR use-case.

Hoya HMC UV (C) is much more costlier because it blocks both IR , UV(A/B) and UV(C) spectrum. DSLR sensors already have an IR filtering layer which some people remove to do IR photography so any IR blocking is useless on DSLR.

So just buy locally available Hoya HMC UV for 750 bucks in your filter thread size.

Coming back to CPL , I am unaware of UV+ CPL as you say but I would say just buy a Multi coated CPL like Hoya HMC CPL or Kenko MC CPL ( both are actually same manufactured by Hoya but kenko brand is cheaper) , As explained above you do not need any UV filtering on DSLR

Last edited by amitk26 : 7th February 2011 at 18:13.
Old 7th February 2011, 19:28   #6313
BHPian

Speaking of protective filters and lens front element cleanliness, the link below is worth a read, scary though

Dirty lens article
Old 7th February 2011, 20:54   #6314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
Speaking of protective filters and lens front element cleanliness, the link below is worth a read, scary though

Dirty lens article
Lovely eye opener , Yes I have also not noticed any degradation due to finger marks as such the main reason most people opt for putting up a permanent filter is resale value :-)
Old 7th February 2011, 22:07   #6315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need UV filter just for protection of front element from dust and scratches , In film days UV blocking was required to prevent haze but on DSLR it is not needed from IQ point of view. Some people say that it is not at all needed as Cheap UV filter will cause internal reflections and flare.

But if you shoot in little hazardous conditions like with a little kid who touch lens front you need a protective filter, Almost all kids under 5 years will do it so you need UV to block fingers of kids and not UV rays.

A Hoya HMC UV( N) filter just costs 750 Rupees in 58mm diameter it blocks UV ( A/B) which is immaterial for DSLR use-case.

Hoya HMC UV (C) is much more costlier because it blocks both IR , UV(A/B) and UV(C) spectrum. DSLR sensors already have an IR filtering layer which some people remove to do IR photography so any IR blocking is useless on DSLR.

So just buy locally available Hoya HMC UV for 750 bucks in your filter thread size.

Coming back to CPL , I am unaware of UV+ CPL as you say but I would say just buy a Multi coated CPL like Hoya HMC CPL or Kenko MC CPL ( both are actually same manufactured by Hoya but kenko brand is cheaper) , As explained above you do not need any UV filtering on DSLR
What a coincidence! I just purchased a HOYA UV(N) (without B&W) for 250 INR, and I come and see the same being recommended here.

I had a look at the UV(C) too, it's MRP was 900 with B&W.

CPL alone costed 1450, Hoya's. MRP was 1.8k.

The model which I am talking about (UV+CPL) is not available in India, iI guess. But it is very much there in Hoya's international website.

Thanks for the suggestion! Am using it only as a protective element for the lens.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks