Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2011, 17:32   #6061
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Just attended a session by James Sanders at office. He is professional marriage photographer. Website Elle Jae .

He gave some good tips handling DSLR's and various lenses and PP. Fantastic Photographer he is.
Ohh ***** missed it.
Old 13th January 2011, 17:32   #6062
Senior - BHPian

I'm a greenhorn wrt to dslr and am very happy with the Nikon D3100.
Old 13th January 2011, 17:43   #6063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
This 70-300 has an ED element which stands for Extra-low Dispersion, .....
As far as I know that ED funda looks good only on paper. In reality there is hardly any difference visible to an eye!!!
Just search around on the internet 70-300ED Vs 70-300G!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi All
Awaiting your suggestions
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2207925
Old 13th January 2011, 17:44   #6064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
if infinite focus is not needed no need to machine it , It can be used with an adapter, The metallic adapter will have a stop flange which will keep the pin pressed completely.
Secondly just machining is not enough becuase mount is different
Hi Amit,

you are correct...just a few more points though:

1.) The MD MA adapter still leave us with manual focus and aperture but do make it usable
2.) My experience so far is that if you dont have infinity focus, it leaves us with very limited choice of using it for macro photography only. Futher if we want to do macro only then better look for a m42 lens...helios/pentax/keiv/makinon/yashinon etc...the benefit with m42 is that with an adapter you can mount on any camera- canon, nikon, sony, pentax etc and the md/ma adapter can be used on sony only making it again a waste if we move to another dslr brand which we would eventually do if we use sony :-). Everyone wants to be a Canikon user eventually you see :-)
3.) The MD-MA adpater wont be available in India and costs about $25-30 in US i.e RS 1K for lens + 1.5K for adapter. We can get a m42 for much lens at about 1000-1500 rs. for e.g. a Helios 44m-2 58mm f2 is available on ebay india and though its f2, its a highly regarded lens since it was a copy of Carl Zeiss Biotar. I have one of those and its an awesome lens irrespective of f2 :-)
4.) MD-MA Glass adapter will allow infinity focus...but you loose 1 stop making it no more a 1.2 lens but slower plus it effects the sharpness also .....hence my personal opinion, m42 is the way to go unless you use a MD lens on a Minolta film camera.

BTW I am a Sony user too and have just bought a Sigma APO 400 f5.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
He can go with the 3100 if he is an absolute beginner...
D3100 is good for an absolute beginner...but imagine that within 6 months he no more will be a beginner and then will start thinking of upgrading and if the DSLR fever takes over then will loose money in selling D3100.

Also that D3100 prices are still stabilizing, it was Rs34K a month or two back, Rs31K last month and now about 30K. Eventually it will replace D3000 pricing at around 22K and your friend will think he lost a lot.

D5000 pricing has more or less matured and is a gr8 buy and for a starter, a swivel screen will certainly help in composing shots

regards

Rajeev

Last edited by rajismine : 13th January 2011 at 18:02.
Old 13th January 2011, 19:14   #6065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajismine View Post
if we move to another dslr brand which we would eventually do if we use sony :-). Everyone wants to be a Canikon user eventually you see :-)

BTW I am a Sony user too and have just bought a Sigma APO 400 f5.6
A coincidence, I too am waiting on the Sigma 400 5.6, however not the APO like you and I guess it is my money down the drain, impulsive buy from Ebay, have promised myself not to do that again; should have gone for the APO actually, anyway let's see once the lens arrives.

Which Sony are you using? I personally do not think they are all that bad, am using an old Minolta 7D, only 6MP and already hot pixels all over the place but still love the way the thing handles. Planning for the next Sony, not in any hurry.

Cheers!
Old 13th January 2011, 23:35   #6066
BHPian

I use sony a200. And i have also ordered from ebay. It has been delivered already. And though the auction mentioned APO weather it is or it is not will be known only after a month :-)

Rajeev

Last edited by rajismine : 13th January 2011 at 23:39.
Old 13th January 2011, 23:51   #6067
BHPian

Do update when you get to use it, mine is the green version, I guess yours will be the grey one.
Sony cameras seem to be stripping the plastic gears of few sigma lenses apart in some cases, especially the high end Sony cameras due to the screw focusing and powerful movement, so be careful, set camera to manual focus before turning on :-)
Old 14th January 2011, 03:36   #6068
Senior - BHPian

Guys I am on the verge of buying a Cannon 550 D but searching on Ebay I across a Camera called Cannon Kiss X4/550D which on further probing reveled that its the 550D with just the naming of Kiss X4 because its imported from Japan and the price difference is too good to be true

The Kiss X4 is for 520 GBP with shipping and an 8 Gig memory card

The 550 D is for 620 GBP with no memory card

In total Dillema !! help me out urgenly !!
Old 14th January 2011, 04:31   #6069
Senior - BHPian

550D / T2i / Kiss X4 are all different names for the same Canon camera. Stepping aside your question, why are you buying now - you just missed the Thanksgiving / Blackfriday deals!!! You would have saved a ton in a lot of US stores (online and otherwise) had you looked for one then.

Back to your question, both the prices seem tad high - UK is not the best place for buying cameras. The same camera with a 18-55 IS is available for US $650 in Adorama. But given both the cameras you mentioned are new and have identical features / stuff that come with them, nothing wrong in going for the least-priced.
Old 14th January 2011, 04:38   #6070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
550D / T2i / Kiss X4 are all different names for the same Canon camera. Stepping aside your question, why are you buying now - you just missed the Thanksgiving / Blackfriday deals!!! You would have saved a ton in a lot of US stores (online and otherwise) had you looked for one then.

Back to your question, both the prices seem tad high - UK is not the best place for buying cameras. The same camera with a 18-55 IS is available for US $650 in Adorama. But given both the cameras you mentioned are new and have identical features / stuff that come with them, nothing wrong in going for the least-priced.
I searched during Boxing day/Christmas but everywhere the same price :(, this model is a high selling one, so no one was ready to reduce the price of this in Leicester or Birmingham.

Yes camera is cheaper in the US but duties and tax = 180 Dollar

Delivery = 50 Dollar

Makes it almost the same as a UK one.

I am comparing the prices of this camera from India as I have only 2 options in locations of buying it from, either India or Uk.

Should I go ahead with the deal ?I can't wait to go click click around town
Old 14th January 2011, 08:38   #6071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
550D / T2i / Kiss X4 are all different names for the same Canon camera. .....
Doesn't the Japan make have the menu language as Japanese?? May be it will support multiple languages though. I would like to hear from the folks who bought the "imported ones from Japan".
Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Should I go ahead with the deal? I can't wait to go click click around town
If you are tight on budget, buy 450D(if it still available!) or 500D. With the money saved buy good quality lenses. If NO, buy the 550D, at least you get warranty. BTW, does the Kiss X4 come with global warranty which is honored in UK??
Old 14th January 2011, 11:34   #6072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I'm a greenhorn wrt to dslr and am very happy with the Nikon D3100.
How is the D3100 with respect to Manual Photography. I was considering the D5000 but got to know that selecting parameters for Manual photography is quite a chore on it. On my current camera, which is the HS10, I do not need to dive into the menu for the following:

1. ISO
2. Exposure
3. White Balance
4. Focusing (On DSLRs this is on the lens)
5. High Speed Capture
6. Video shooting
Old 14th January 2011, 11:38   #6073
Senior - BHPian

Manual Photography???..... hmmmm..... Buy a Leica M3!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
How is the D3100 with respect to Manual Photography. ....
Ok on a serious note, D90 suits your requirements!!
Old 14th January 2011, 11:42   #6074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Yes camera is cheaper in the US but duties and tax = 180 Dollar

Delivery = 50 Dollar
no No NO I am talking about buying from US if / when you are there, or having a friend bring it down for you! So many things can go wrong when you ship delicate stuff like cameras from US to India through private courier!!

About the price you have said - 520GBP comes to about 38k in INR. Ebay India has the camera listed from 44k for new. Not sure how much you can actually get it for with bill and warranty here - can you check the same in your city? If the price difference is less than 5k, then you'd rather get it here just in case you needed to use the warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Doesn't the Japan make have the menu language as Japanese?? May be it will support multiple languages though. I would like to hear from the folks who bought the "imported ones from Japan".
I thought the same too, but this site says there is no difference. And am pretty sure the firmware is common for all these models. Here is one more link.
Old 14th January 2011, 11:50   #6075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Manual Photography???..... hmmmm..... Buy a Leica M3!!!
That will be way over the top.

Quote:
Ok on a serious note, D90 suits your requirements!!
Actually, I am tending that way. Or a 550D. The only hitch with the D90 is that the D7000 has been brought in as a replacement and by the time I get the finances together, the D90 might go off the shelves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks