Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 07:56   #5911
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Guys...I am planning to buy a 70-300mm zoom lens, I will be getting this from US, I have zeroed in -
Can anyone please provide me with any other suggestion, feedback if using any of these already

Requirement - Birding and some wildlife
Camera - Nikon D90
Budget - 8500 INR Max

I wanted to get the ED version of the Nikkor but then its too expensive, I am also open for second hand options (if available here on Tbhp), because right now I am in a learning phase.

Thanks
I would suggest staying away from Tamron as that particular lens has a hunting problem in low light conditions.

Sigma and Nikkor seem to be good bet. I'm myself using the Sigma 70-300MM DG Macro which I picked for .6K at Chimalgi here in Hyderabad and have no issues with it.

Since this is going to be for birding, I would suggest you to get a 2x/4x converter as well if possible.
Old 27th December 2010, 08:47   #5912
BHPian

Quote:
Guys...I am planning to buy a 70-300mm zoom lens, I will be getting this from US, I have zeroed in -Can anyone please provide me with any other suggestion, feedback if using any of these already

Camera - Nikon D90
Budget - 8500 INR Max

I wanted to get the ED version of the Nikkor but then its too expensive, I am also open for second hand options (if available here on Tbhp), because right now I am in a learning phase.

Thanks
I have Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G (I bought it with F80) as well as Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR (Bought for D90). Both lens are super. However lens which u are planning to take has no VR, and at 300mm it becomes very difficult to take photo without tripod (Bird photography needs tripod anyway). This where VR helps (more than ED). Non VR lens make more noise too! Its AF is considerably slower. At 300mm you can see some vignetting.

It also broke on small fall(rolled down one step, completely my fault), now auto focus takes longer, and manual focus is fastest way to use the lens. In comparision, ED lens is very solid (sorry, not tested against fall), Focus is quiet (thanks to silent motor), AF is quick (way better than older lens), VR is real boon. On a bright day, I can track birds without tripod! I haven't noticed any vignetting at any zoom. With this lens you can use it for portrait @ 1350mm with nice bokeh!

I wish I can take some snaps with the lens and show you the clarity between two. But that has to wait!

If you short on budget go with 70-300m. But if you can afford I would suggest buy this lens.

Old 27th December 2010, 10:32   #5913
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys...I am planning to buy a 70-300mm zoom lens, I will be getting this from US, I have zeroed in -Can anyone please provide me with any other suggestion, feedback if using any of these already

Camera - Nikon D90
Budget - 8500 INR Max

Thanks
Birding generally requires faster shutter speeds, hence you will be sorely compromised by the slower lenses. I would suggest that you pace you acquisition and invest in faster lenses. Image Stabilised lense would also help you a lot, especially at the higher focal length, as they can be used at slower speeds.

So look for faster lenses with IS, ED is desirable but not essential especially if you are on a budget.

As birding requires maximum reach, think of a 300-600mm primes instead of a zoom. For given speed they will be cheaper. I have shot birds flying at 10m (that is real close) with 300mm and got less than quarter frame of the bird.

In my experience, bodies, especially digital are upgraded regularly, but lenses retain their utility as well as value over a long period, so aim to acquire better lenses over a longer span of time. Good lenses remain for years (at times decades) while bodies keep changing.

If you are getting from US, try KEH.com for second hand primes, at times they are dirt cheap, while the quality is much better than less expensive lenses new. Though all these lenses are way out side your budget, do consider then for future acquisition.
Nikon Autofocus 300 F2.8 ED INTERNAL FOCUS (39) 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com
or
Nikon Autofocus 300 F4 ED INTERNAL FOCUS (39/82) WITH CASE 35MM SLR AUTO FOCUS TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com
if you are comfortable with manual focus
Nikon Manual Focus 600 F4 ED INTERNAL FOCUS AIS (39) (BUILT-IN HOOD) WITH CASE 35MM SLR MANUAL FOCUS SUPER TELEPHOTO LENS - KEH.com

at longer focal lengths you can preset focus at hyperfocal distance in a manual lense and not require rapid auto focus most of the time.
Old 27th December 2010, 12:30   #5914
BHPian

Don't you think that a 2X/4X converter on a 4-5.6 lens will make it practically unusable on max. zoom (auto-focus issues, sharpness etc.)?

Are you using a tele converter on your Sigma...if yes, please provide your inputs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I would suggest staying away from Tamron as that particular lens has a hunting problem in low light conditions.

Sigma and Nikkor seem to be good bet. I'm myself using the Sigma 70-300MM DG Macro which I picked for .6K at Chimalgi here in Hyderabad and have no issues with it.

Since this is going to be for birding, I would suggest you to get a 2x/4x converter as well if possible.
Sure Ragu...I can wait
I am definitely on a short budget, my delimma is to buy a 70-300 mm G lens which will be hard to sell once I buy better lenses, or wait for sometime and then get a ED AF-S VR lens of the same spec which I can sell comparatively easily when I plan to get some telephoto lens
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
I have Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G (I bought it with F80) as well as Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED IF AF-S VR (Bought for D90). Both lens are super. However lens which u are planning to take has no VR, and at 300mm it becomes very difficult to take photo without tripod (Bird photography needs tripod anyway). ..........
I wish I can take some snaps with the lens and show you the clarity between two. But that has to wait!

If you short on budget go with 70-300m. But if you can afford I would suggest buy this lens.
Aroy, thanks for the links that you shared, but all of them are definitely out of budget for me right now, cheapest one is for 500 USD which will translate to about Rs.25,000. And since I am low on budget a the moment, these options are beyond my reach.

But any idea where to get such second hand lenses in Delhi NCR area ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Birding generally requires faster shutter speeds, hence you will be sorely compromised by the slower lenses. I would suggest that you pace you acquisition and invest in faster lenses. Image Stabilised lense would also help you a lot, especially at the higher focal length, as they can be used at slower speeds........
Old 27th December 2010, 15:01   #5915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't you think that a 2X/4X converter on a 4-5.6 lens will make it practically unusable on max. zoom (auto-focus issues, sharpness etc.)?
4X ?? I have only heard of 1.4X and 2X TC Auto focus won't work in low light with 2X , It may work during the bright day because it works on F8 - F11 in afternoons.

Quote:
Aroy, thanks for the links that you shared, but all of them are definitely out of budget for me right now, cheapest one is for 500 USD which will translate to about Rs.25,000. And since I am low on budget a the moment, these options are beyond my reach.

If you are using tripod then Sigma 70-300 APO DG is good choice. Also this lens works as an excellent 1:2 macro and sweet surprise is that while it is a budget telephoto with slow AF motor it is an excellent macro :-) between 200 - 300 mm.
While one may be tempted to use TC and say I can get 600mm with 2X TC you need to remember it will be simply unusable because slightest vibration at such long focal length will cause blurr and you need high sutter speed of around 1/800 sec that means you need a wider aperture.

A better option is to use those 12 -18 MP and crop the area required to give frame filling pics.

Now there is an OS version of this lens and you may like to get that instead.
Old 27th December 2010, 21:30   #5916
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am definitely on a short budget, my delimma is to buy a 70-300 mm G lens which will be hard to sell once I buy better lenses, or wait for sometime and then get a ED AF-S VR lens of the same spec which I can sell comparatively easily when I plan to get some telephoto lens

I would never consider an inexpensive Zoom telephoto, simply because
a) For the same price the zoom always has a slower aperture
b) A 2x Tc would further reduce the aperture by 2 stops, practically useless in low light.

Be patient and save up. Within no time you will have enough funds. If you have some body in US who can take delivery for you, keep looking out for your favourite lense in KEH. You never know when you get a bargain of a lifetime. My son got excellent Nikon Macro with extension tubes after much perseverance.

For second hand lenses, you can try Camera shops in Palika Bazaar and Chandni Chowk. My son gets his new lenses and exchanges his old ones there, so they must be buying and selling old lenses.
Old 27th December 2010, 22:02   #5917

Hi guys, got my self a Canon 7D with 15-85mm IS USM as a Kit. Awesome camera and great lens i must say.
Old 27th December 2010, 22:04   #5918
BANNED

Hi All,

I have some doubts in the lenses.

In canon there are USM,Micro USM,II USM and III USM

Now which is good or fast? which is really necessary for Tele lenses? IS or USM.

I was looking for a good lens and these are the options available
1. 55-250 IS -Rs 10945
2. 75-300 III USM Rs 11245
3. 75-300 III Rs 10795
4. 28-105 II USM Rs 14345 (i might trade in my 18-55 for this)

Also is 18 mm necessary for portraits or can it be taken car by 208-105? if the choice is other lenses then i might retain the 18-55

Thanks
Old 27th December 2010, 23:20   #5919
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about the 28-105, but definitely the 55-250 is a better lens compared to the 75-300.
Old 28th December 2010, 01:33   #5920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi All,

Now which is good or fast? which is really necessary for Tele lenses? IS or USM.

1. 55-250 IS -Rs 10945
3. 75-300 III Rs 10795

Also is 18 mm necessary for portraits or can it be taken car by 208-105? if the choice is other lenses then i might retain the 18-55

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I don't know about the 28-105, but definitely the 55-250 is a better lens compared to the 75-300.
I would say retain the 18-55 and get a 55-250 to complement.

The IS on these lenses really spoil you and the 55-250 is a hidden bokeh monster, great tele-portraits and colours from this lens.

Goto flickr and check the 55-250is group to see what I mean.
Old 28th December 2010, 09:57   #5921
Senior - BHPian

The Nikkon 35MM 1.8G's price has come down ! Hope it goes down more
Old 28th December 2010, 10:04   #5922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi All,

1. 55-250 IS -Rs 10945
3. 75-300 III Rs 10795

Thanks
USM is Ultra Sonic Motor the technology for focusing lense. The motor is built into each lense. I think that each generation is a bit more refined - faster speed, better focusing etc.

IS is image stabilisation. There are two types - in lense and in body. In lense uses a correcting lense to counter the vibration, while in body moves the sensor. In lense is usually faster, but then each lense has its own mechanism adding to cost. In body is not as fast, but then works with all lenses.

For Telephoto both are desirable, but IS has higher utility as long lenses tend to magnify vibrations more.

For portrait a longer lense than normal - 80mm to 100mm for 35mm systems is favourite of professionals. A longer lense coupled with bigger aperture (f1.4 or f2) has a shorter depth of field isolating the subject from the back ground.

Lense acquisition depends on usage and of course your budget. In case you require a Tele most of the time, a prime is preferable. If you are just casual photographers using the full range, a zoom is a boon. A faster lense is desirable if you shoot mostly in low light. To get a real low down on the quality please read up the reviews in photography sites.
Faster lenses are generally preferred to slower lense. Unless the zoom is extremely expensive, wider range comes with higher minimum aperture.
Old 28th December 2010, 10:04   #5923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The Nikkon 35MM 1.8G's price has come down ! Hope it goes down more
Probably because they launched the 1.4.
So, how much has this 35mm 1.8G gone down by?
Old 28th December 2010, 11:22   #5924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Probably because they launched the 1.4.
So, how much has this 35mm 1.8G gone down by?
Was 16k , now one can get it for 11-12k

The 1.4 works with DX ? Edit no, its a FX and hence auto wont work.

Last edited by jkdas : 28th December 2010 at 11:25.
Old 28th December 2010, 12:44   #5925
Senior - BHPian

Das it was only 14k when I bought it, no idea if the price went up to 16k at any time. Now its well within 12k. Its a lovely piece of glass, I wont sell mine until I am rich enough to move full frame

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks