Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 15:32   #5776
Senior - BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
Guys, I have a question - maybe dumb, but still. I have an old SLR (non-digital), a Minolta Maxxum which I dont use anymore. I'm wondering if there would be any takers for that camera anymore? Any suggestions where I can look to sell it?
Which model is it? If it is a manual camera, it may have some takers and if I were you, I would not sell. Have it as a back-up camera.
Old 10th December 2010, 15:58   #5777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
I started going through this fascinating thread a month back when I decided to buy a DSLR.

As someone who learnt photography the hard way in B&W with Yashica Ds and range finder 35mm cameras, moving over to color with Olympus OM10 and Minoltas and Pentax , I thought I would write my perspective to those venturing into SLRs.
Thats very well written. Many people think that just having an SLR will just improve their photography like magic. A good photographer can produce stunning photos even with a mobile camera.
Old 10th December 2010, 17:00   #5778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Pawan, recheck what you are suggesting. An 18-55 kit lens can never take a shot at 50mm on f value 3.5

Kit lens 18-55 will give you a maximum f value of 3.5 at 18mm and 5.6 at 55 mm. Even the maximum aperture you can get at 35mm is only f/5. Same thing applies to a 55-200 or any such lenses. Aperture gets smaller as you zoom higher !

There is something called 'straight blade' and 'round blade' which decides the quality of bokeh in lenses. Usually primes have 7 to 9 blades either rounded or straight. I think its more blades = better bokeh. You can see the details in every lens technical information. Nikon 50mm f/1.2, 85mm f/1.4 and 85mm 1.8 have the highest number of blades = 9 straight blades. I think most macro lenses use 9 blades.

Are there lenses with more than 9 blades in the market ? I dont know, please add your comments if you know of a brand.

Post open to correction: I have tried to put whatever I have learnt from small and big gurus whomever I know !
Yes, Shaju, you are right, I forget that f value varies with focal length.
Old 11th December 2010, 01:08   #5779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Do you have lenses with that camera? All that lenses are usable in Sony Alpha DSLRs. So you can sell them for very good prices nowadays, if you don't plan to use it. A Bbeercan (70-210 f/4) sells at $200 in ebay for example.)

Do let me know if you have a 50 mm or a macro lens with that, I'll buy
Yes, I guess I had the standard lens kit. Unfortunately no 50mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Which model is it? If it is a manual camera, it may have some takers and if I were you, I would not sell. Have it as a back-up camera.
It is the Maxxum5 (IIRC) - I have not even taken it out from its case for almost 2 yrs now! But, after I lost my HS10, I thought of selling it off to make way for the FZ100 or D3100. So, in all likelihood I will want to sell it soon, if I get a decent price (and again I'm not sure whats a good price to sell it at!)
Old 11th December 2010, 13:26   #5780
Senior - BHPian

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
It is the Maxxum5 (IIRC) - I have not even taken it out from its case for almost 2 yrs now! But, after I lost my HS10, I thought of selling it off to make way for the FZ100 or D3100. So, in all likelihood I will want to sell it soon, if I get a decent price (and again I'm not sure whats a good price to sell it at!)
As I see you are from B'lore, try the BPC and other film lovers forums on the Flickr. You might find a buyer!!! BTW, dont expect much for it!!
Old 12th December 2010, 00:52   #5781
Senior - BHPian

How is Nikon SLR AF 50mm F1.8 Prime lens for the close ups?

Is 6k a good price? 1.4 would have been desirable but its way too expensive.

How are Marumi filters? anyone using it?

Last edited by TaureanBull : 12th December 2010 at 01:11.
Old 12th December 2010, 14:50   #5782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
How is Nikon SLR AF 50mm F1.8 Prime lens for the close ups?

Is 6k a good price? 1.4 would have been desirable but its way too expensive.

How are Marumi filters? anyone using it?
@Shaju: same quastion 100ths of time

@TaureanBull: It is good lens for portrait, go ahead.
Old 12th December 2010, 21:14   #5783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
@Shaju: same quastion 100ths of time

@TaureanBull: It is good lens for portrait, go ahead.
Thanks pawan for reply. I did search the thread but there are more important parts too. The price of 6k, is it fine?

I also request for some information on these marumi filters which seem to be modestly priced. There are others which sell for 2k for 15 pcs on ebay. I am sure they wont be any worth.

Not even sure if it is off topic. Since a long time, I am wondering why can not we have a separate thread for the DSLR cameras and another one for optics (lenses). I would have started myself but dont think I am expert enough to do this. As it is this thread has become pretty big with mixed up info on all aspects of DSLRs.
Old 12th December 2010, 22:02   #5784
Senior - BHPian

I use a Marumi UV filter that I bought for 350 bucks to use with my 18-55 kit lens.
I didn't know about the need to have a filter until the seller suggested me.
He gave me a choice between this and a Hoya. Marumi cost 350 bucks and the hoya was 800 bucks.

To test for lens flare, I shot a picture of a sunset.
There was lens flare with the filter and without it, there wasn't any flare.
So, the Marumi filter is the weak link.

Do some research on other brands and take a call on the filter.
I'll continue to use the Marumi since I've bought it. But, I'm gonna buy a hoya or something better with the next lens that I will purchase.
Old 12th December 2010, 22:06   #5785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
....I am wondering why can not we have a separate thread for the DSLR cameras and another one for optics (lenses). I would have started myself but dont think I am expert enough to do this. As it is this thread has become pretty big with mixed up info on all aspects of DSLRs.
Very true, this thread is full of informations and gone into 380+ pages already. But I think one of the mods is doing a summarization of the whole thread into a single post, so we should be ok from there

PS: I am going hiding before Samu comes with his sword

About the lens: 50mm 1.8 is the best in that budget, Marumi is a cheaper way of protecting the lens. I had bought but removed it later.

Last edited by shajufx : 12th December 2010 at 22:09.
Old 12th December 2010, 22:15   #5786
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I use a Marumi UV filter that I bought for 350 bucks to use with my 18-55 kit lens.
I didn't know about the need to have a filter until the seller suggested me.
He gave me a choice between this and a Hoya. Marumi cost 350 bucks and the hoya was 800 bucks.

To test for lens flare, I shot a picture of a sunset.
There was lens flare with the filter and without it, there wasn't any flare.
So, the Marumi filter is the weak link.

Do some research on other brands and take a call on the filter.
I'll continue to use the Marumi since I've bought it. But, I'm gonna buy a hoya or something better with the next lens that I will purchase.
Even my seller suggested to have a filter ,but it was given free of cost to me

It is called kenko,dont know if it is a quality one and dont know its use also.seller told it id better to have so that dust and water can be cleaned very easy if its on filter than lens
Old 12th December 2010, 23:10   #5787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Even my seller suggested to have a filter ,but it was given free of cost to me

It is called kenko,dont know if it is a quality one and dont know its use also.seller told it id better to have so that dust and water can be cleaned very easy if its on filter than lens
That is good suggestion, do go for a protective filter, as per budget suits of course but the catch is always there with optical things, more bucks for better quality.

About two weeks back I left my cam out in the open trying to get a star streak for about 2.5 hours and when I brought the camera back in, was horrified to see the entire front covered with good amount of dew. Had it not been for the protective UV filter, the dew would have formed straight on the lens glass and one never knows what one thing can lead to, doesn't take long to lose a costly lens to fungus.

For that matter, putting a filter on and keeping it forever also is not very good, need to take it off once in a while and check to keep the fungus from developing. It is a common belief that putting a protective filter from the day of purchase of the lens will keep it clean always, but there are reports from people who have found that keeping the filter on all the time may actually be assisting formation of unwanted fungal stuff, so do take proper care and keep your big lens investments safe and sound.
Old 12th December 2010, 23:43   #5788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Very true, this thread is full of informations and gone into 380+ pages already. But I think one of the mods is doing a summarization of the whole thread into a single post, so we should be ok from there
Before anybody believes that, let me step in and say nobody is doing that.

I know that some of you visit Team-BHP only for image/photography threads. But we are still an automobile forum, we like to keep other off-topic stuff within limits. So we don't want few more photography threads.

Yes, the dSLR thread has become huge. In fact it used to be part of digital camera thread. I remember making the case for a separate thread for dSLR in the support thread. The logic was that the member demography for dSLR and P&S camera are different. P&S crowd will get scared by all the dSLR talk and dSLR crowd will be bored by the P&S talk. So we separated the threads.

However, similar logic can't be used for separate thread for lenses. People who use dSLR and the lenses are the same. So what if the thread is too big, use the search function for things you are looking for. If we separate, we will have 2 huge threads instead of 1 huger thread. You still have to use search feature.
Old 13th December 2010, 12:17   #5789
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
However, similar logic can't be used for separate thread for lenses. People who use dSLR and the lenses are the same. So what if the thread is too big, use the search function for things you are looking for. If we separate, we will have 2 huge threads instead of 1 huger thread. You still have to use search feature.
May be we can have a separate thread for the Film Photography : Cameras, Films, Development, and Display!!!
Old 13th December 2010, 12:24   #5790
BHPian

Canon 550D at what price and where in Delhi-NCR

I have following options:

1.) Online by JJMehta (Mumbai): INR 44,500 with Kit 18-55mm

2.) JJMehta at eBay: INR 44,500 with Kit, Benefit, via eBay I can opt for 3-6 months EMI without any extra charges / interest.

3.) Croma Store: again INR 44,500. Benefit I can call my bank and ask for a 3-6-9 month interest free EMI, i have done that in past and most probably they will agree this time as well.

Also croma is giving a tripod and wrist watch as free gift.

4.) Without Bill: Chandni chowk would be ideal location, but i dont know any dealer and dont have any reference. I dont know what should be the price.

Could the members please help me in fixing the place from where I should buy it. What could be the expected price without bill. Any pointers / reference would be highly appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks