Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2010, 16:47   #5701
BHPian

One quick question for the more experienced people here, I recently bought a Nikon D90 and a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D. I have been experimenting a lot with them. recently I noticed a kind of blurr that comes up when I am pointing the lens towards (not directly, slightly offset) a light source like a tube-light, sun, street lamp. What could be the reason for the same. I have cleaned the front and rear of the lens with no success. On enhancing the color and contrast this blurr looks like a heptagon/septagon, is it something like a refraction from the internal lens blades because this lens has 7 diaphragm blades This blurr appears almost exactly in the middle of the frame

I am attaching the picture with the blurr in white circle, please help.
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-dirt.jpg  

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 6th December 2010 at 16:55.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:38   #5702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
One quick question for the more experienced people here, I recently bought a Nikon D90 and a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D. I have been experimenting a lot with them. recently I noticed a kind of blurr that comes up when I am pointing the lens towards (not directly, slightly offset) a light source like a tube-light, sun, street lamp. What could be the reason for the same. I have cleaned the front and rear of the lens with no success. On enhancing the color and contrast this blurr looks like a heptagon/septagon, is it something like a refraction from the internal lens blades because this lens has 7 diaphragm blades This blurr appears almost exactly in the middle of the frame

It is the "lens flare" you are talking about. This happens when the lens face a bright light source.

In the below shown pic, it is happening due to that light source I've circled

You've got one of the best camera body and a wonderful lens in hand, so there's nothing to complain about its capability.

So you can stop cleaning the lens
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-dirt.jpg  

Last edited by aa_asif : 6th December 2010 at 17:42.
Old 6th December 2010, 17:41   #5703
BHPian

Is it seen even in snaps taken in day light too? if yes, then get it checked at Authorized Nikon Service station in Hyd.
Old 6th December 2010, 18:05   #5704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is lens flare from a bright light source , You see the lens flare in Heptagon / septagon shape becuase that is the number of blades your lens aperture has ( A cheaper lens will cause pentagon if it has 5 blades). This flare is caused due to internal reflections with in the lens.

One method to reduce flare from the light rays entering from side is to use lens hood but in the case of picture you have provided there is no obvious method as lens hood can not cut the light source , It is night image and polarizer filter is of no use either.
Multi coating on the lenses is done to cut the internal reflections and thus flare. One method to cut flare is to use more expensive lens with more number of blades in aperture and better coatings.

If you have seen my last post of another discussion on Nikkor lens , there are few 30-40 year old lenses which sells for more then cost of a new lens today and this is exactly the kind of scenario where they score. So thanks for posting this image sample

Photoshop / GIMP is the best bet to remove it without breaking the bank.
Old 6th December 2010, 18:59   #5705
BHPian

Asif Bhai....who is complaining about the capability of the body/lens??? this was a question from a person new to the DSLR world..simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
It is the "lens flare" you are talking about. This happens when the lens face a bright light source.
In the below shown pic, it is happening due to that light source I've circled
You've got one of the best camera body and a wonderful lens in hand, so there's nothing to complain about its capability.
So you can stop cleaning the lens
I didn't notice anything in day light pics, but yes, at a certain angle it does come up if I click with Sun light falling from an angle
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
Is it seen even in snaps taken in day light too? if yes, then get it checked at Authorized Nikon Service station in Hyd.
Yes Amit, I got what you are trying to say,

BTW I have some old Olympus OM10 lens, one of them is a prime and the other 70-300mm zoom, I was reading somewhere that its possible to fit OM system lens on the Nikon mount by installing some brace on the lens, any idea?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
This is lens flare from a bright light source , You see the lens flare in Heptagon / septagon shape becuase that is the number of blades your lens aperture has ( A cheaper lens will cause pentagon if it has 5 blades). This flare is caused due to internal reflections with in the lens.....

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 6th December 2010 at 19:01.
Old 6th December 2010, 19:29   #5706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Amit, I got what you are trying to say,

BTW I have some old Olympus OM10 lens, one of them is a prime and the other 70-300mm zoom, I was reading somewhere that its possible to fit OM system lens on the Nikon mount by installing some brace on the lens, any idea?
There are adapters available on e-bay for OM to Nikon but I will advise against them. Please read the detailes below to understand why.

Well it depends on what exact Olympus lens it is, I have heard that in few cases many OM lenses hit back the mirror due to some protruding back element at infinite focus.

For lens mount adapter to work successfully flange to focal plane distance of body should be less then the flenge to focal plane distance required by other lens mount. For Nikon as per Wikipedia it is 46.5 mm and for Olympus OM mount it is 46mm so they are close but possibly you can not achieve infinite focus you need to factor in the thickness required to make adapter.

Canon EOS body is best for adapters ( Among APS-C ) as flange distance is 46mm so you can have adapters for almost all old lenses except Canon FD ( 42 mm) , Minolta MD ( 43.5 mm) among classics.

On the Micro 4/3 Cams Flange distance is just 20 mm so almost everything works with adapter.

I would say if the prime you have is consumer grade ( It is IMHO becuase it is not one of the brand I mentioned in the list earlier) then better sell it and but a Nikon lens or sell Nikon body and switch to Oly , Micro 4/3 or Canon
Old 6th December 2010, 19:36   #5707
Senior - BHPian

No offense Amit but you're all over the map aren't you? By dropping lots of names you're sidestepping the inaccuracy of your earlier post.

My rejoinders in bold below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
You may hold your love to Nikkors ,

At least you got the spelling right!

My observation is based on the results produced by these lenses and comparison tests published all over the net.

Ok, show me one test report that says the 28mm f2.8 Ais MF is a crappy lens, or worse than others of the same vintage.

Also used market prices are an indicator of the value people assign to any material.

Well I am not here to fight any kind of holy war of Brand X vs any other brand but it is a Fact that in the manual Focus era Nikon and Canon did not had the presence they have today

And please tell me why in the day and age of autofocus will Nikon and Canon build up their manual focus range? The MF Nikkor lens range of today is a throwback to the 70s and 80s. Unless you're talking about the 50s and 60s, in which case I'll agree - my Leica M3 is a lot better than my antique Nikons.

Please compare prices of e-bay or any auction site of your choice and also results on flicker of 28mm F1.4 lenses from Nikon / Canon vs those from Carl Zeiss , CZJ , Rollei , Ashai , Contex, Schnider-creuznach and others.

Point being? Are you saying the Nikon 28mm f1.4 AF was a worse lens than the makes you mentioned (although this is the first time I'm hearing about CZJ, Ashai and ContEx)? If so, again please enlighten me with proof. Going by your logic a lens that sells second hand for close to or more than what it sold for new after its was discontinued must be a phenomenal performer- which the 28/1.4 Nikkor is.

Nikon and Canon arrived on the scene post 80s.

Laughable to say the least. You disrespect all the photographers who shot the Korean and Vietnam wars with their F1s and F2s. Some Nikon history to enlighten you:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...dels/index.htm

FYI the going rate of Schnider-creuznach vintage 28mm F1.4 is more then 1000 US $ , Carl Zeuss Distagon is also in between 700 - 1000 US$
Fujinon EBC lenses are upword of 300$ cheapest of the lot is Takumar 24mm which is retaling for 300$

Whereas, Carl Zeiss Jena ( Made in East Germany after WW2) , Jupiter ( russian copy of the German formula) and Nikon AIS 28mm F1.4 is approx 100 -200 US $.

Even Tomioka lens made by a company which no longer exists are 3X costlier then Canon and Nikon lenses of MF era.

Sigh, I thought as much, you are confusing two different lenses. You started talking about the MF 28mm/2.8 and then compare it with the 28/1.4 lenses from other makes. Please compare apples with apples - prices for the Nikon AF 28mm/1.4:
nikon 28mm f1.4 items - Get great deals on Cameras Photo, Nikon items on eBay.com!
AFAIK Nikon never made a MF 28/1.4 Ais.

Canon 28mm F1.4 FD was excellent lens optically but today it have vary less value because FD mount lens need optical adapter for EOS which degrades quality.
The first factually correct statement but when were we ever discussing Canon?
Old 6th December 2010, 21:29   #5708
Senior - BHPian

@amitk26: The Nikon AIS 28 was indeed one of the all time great Nikkors and CRC was really one of its key attributes as StarScream has rightly put forward, but this was in the film days. I have read that its not too stellar on a digital body. But I had the opportunity to use one when I was in the USA and as expected it was not too great near abouts wide open, but was brilliant stopped down. People rave about this lens on a film body. A lot of lenses including the very good 24mm is also a digital victim and the 28 and the 24 were very popular and sharp lenses during the good old film days.

Last edited by SPARKled : 6th December 2010 at 21:31.
Old 6th December 2010, 23:56   #5709
BHPian

Quick help from gurus, I am planning to buy Canon 5D Mark II full frame, I have 50mm EF lens which I am planning to use in Canon 5D. My question is, what mm exactly I will get if we compare it with APS-C sensor? Because after buying this body, I will not be able to afford any lenses for sometime.
Old 7th December 2010, 00:18   #5710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Quick help from gurus, I am planning to buy Canon 5D Mark II full frame, I have 50mm EF lens which I am planning to use in Canon 5D. My question is, what mm exactly I will get if we compare it with APS-C sensor? Because after buying this body, I will not be able to afford any lenses for sometime.

I am not a guru but i can answer your question.

This is how you calculate the effective focal length
50mm on a APS-C sensor is 80mm (1.6 x 50mm = 80mm)
50mm on a full frame is 50mm itself.

The same lens would appear to be wider on the 5D MkII.
Old 7th December 2010, 00:24   #5711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
@amitk26: The Nikon AIS 28 was indeed one of the all time great Nikkors and CRC was really one of its key attributes as StarScream has rightly put forward, but this was in the film days. I have read that its not too stellar on a digital body. But I had the opportunity to use one when I was in the USA and as expected it was not too great near abouts wide open, but was brilliant stopped down. People rave about this lens on a film body. A lot of lenses including the very good 24mm is also a digital victim and the 28 and the 24 were very popular and sharp lenses during the good old film days.
Exactly 100% correct this is what I am trying to say Old MF lenses like SMC takumar , CZJ ,Helios etc provide good resolution and usable on Digital bodies because they were optically better and that's why they cost a fortune.

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
]
No offense Amit but you're all over the map aren't you? By dropping lots of names you're sidestepping the inaccuracy of your earlier post.

My rejoinders in bold below:
No inaccuracy here lenses of same era and similar types were compared.
I would love to respond to all your rejoinders one by one but seeing these rejoinders I now think that you might have entirely missed context of the comment I made.
I originally posted a question seeking opinion on a Kiron 105mm Macro lens which I was getting, I missed it because could not take decision in time as it was not cheap and someone here suggested Nikkor :-) now there was simply no Nikkor Macro in that era ( 1950 to 1975 ) which could be considered a competition for that lens. With this background it should be clear that consideration was vintage manual focus lens which are still useful and optically match / outperform modern digital lenses.
Today lenses have a CPU and motors and elaborate software so today Auto focus lens is entirely different and not comparable with fully mechanical precision manufactured lenses of bygone era.

Quote:

Ok, show me one test report that says the 28mm f2.8 Ais MF is a crappy lens, or worse than others of the same vintage.

I never said it is crappy but just see the last comment from SPARKled I meant something similar.
Google is your best friend and I am sure you will find correct links if you search for
manual focus 28mm F2.8 or 28 F1.4 or 24mm comparison tests .

Quote:
And please tell me why in the day and age of autofocus will Nikon and Canon build up their manual focus range?

As explained comparison was of vintage Manual focus lenses and even you can compare good MF lenses of that era with AF lenses of today optically.

Quote:

The MF Nikkor lens range of today is a throwback to the 70s and 80s. Unless you're talking about the 50s and 60s, in which case I'll agree - my Leica M3 is a lot better than my antique Nikons.

Well since you missed the context of discussion the comparison was with vintage MF lens which is no longer manufactured and still sought after so it has to be compared with something which Nikon made in those days at similar price point. Of-course Leica is out of consideration because it was never in same price bracket historically and manufactured today as well , Where as Takumars , CZ, CZJ and clones were nearly in same market.

On the why part , They are still usable in scenarios where AF is not needed example macros , landscape and street photography where good optical quality is desirable. Also they are good for DSLR video.

For shooting sports / fast action etc old MF lens is not an option at all.

Besides this no one ask this why in vintage car section so why the Q here ?

Quote:
Point being? Are you saying the Nikon 28mm f1.4 AF was a worse lens than the makes you mentioned (although this is the first time I'm hearing about CZJ, Ashai and ContEx)? If so, again please enlighten me with proof. Going by your logic a lens that sells second hand for close to or more than what it sold for new after its was discontinued must be a phenomenal performer- which the 28/1.4 Nikkor is.

If you have not heard that does not mean they never existed :-))

Please search on these lenses on net or visit some vintage dealer you will be pleased , Carl Zeiss Jena was East German where as Carl Zeiss was in west Germany , Contex is legendary film camera.

Asahi Optical was the company which originally owned Pentax brand and their Super Takumar branded lenses are still usable on 15MP digital sensor. I have posted few test pics on the official non auto image thread.

I am not simply rich enough to buy all the contex , Schnider and CZJ but that does not mean that they are not good.

Go to some forums like MF lenses forum and check opinion and images if you like.

Quote:

Nikon and Canon arrived on the scene post 80s.

Laughable to say the least. You disrespect all the photographers who shot the Korean and Vietnam wars with their F1s and F2s. Some Nikon history to enlighten you:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...dels/index.htm

Laugh as much as you like but fact is that Nikon and Canon were not in same league in MF era as others they were considered amateur stuff and not serious pro , In a war situation whatever equipment is available cheaply is used and to an extent the Nikons and Canons found respect after press used them.

Quote:
Sigh, I thought as much, you are confusing two different lenses. You started talking about the MF 28mm/2.8 and then compare it with the 28/1.4 lenses from other makes. Please compare apples with apples - prices for the Nikon AF 28mm/1.4:
nikon 28mm f1.4 items - Get great deals on Cameras Photo, Nikon items on eBay.com!
AFAIK Nikon never made a MF 28/1.4 Ais.

May be I messed up between 1.4 and 2.8 in long chain but that does not change the basic point.
Almost all other 28mm and 24mms of that era fetch a lot more then Nikkors , Exceptions are Auto Chinons and similar other in-house brands of large retail chains of US and UK and Mamiya-Sekor mainly because Mamiya-Sekor was a medium format company.

Quote:
Canon 28mm F1.4 FD was excellent lens optically but today it have vary less value because FD mount lens need optical adapter for EOS which degrades quality.

The first factually correct statement but when were we ever discussing Canon
May be you were not discussing it but I was discussion all Manual Focus lenses in general and nikkor came in that context as explained above.

One of the factor of usability is the lens mount. Since Canon FD is not usable on EOS it fetch lot less then any other lens of similar quality
. AFAIK Canon FD 28mmF1.4 L is same optical formula as L lens today but it goes for a song as it is not usable in manual mode on canon body.

Last edited by amitk26 : 7th December 2010 at 00:44. Reason: fixing quotes
Old 7th December 2010, 02:20   #5712
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
I am not a guru but i can answer your question.

This is how you calculate the effective focal length
50mm on a APS-C sensor is 80mm (1.6 x 50mm = 80mm)
50mm on a full frame is 50mm itself.

The same lens would appear to be wider on the 5D MkII.
If its 50 1.8, the bokeh would appear smoother as well on a full frame body!
Old 7th December 2010, 02:29   #5713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
Pawan the 50mm lens is the most versitile lens and its loved by one and all, the reason is, it is a lens which replicates or sees exactly what you see with your eyes, so you dont have to look through the camera to compose.

This is a lens which would give you amazing lowlight pics at the same time act as a wide angle lens as well. You will know what you were missing once you get a full frame DSLR. 18mm kit lens will give you great wide angle shots unlike a crop sensor. Some day i wish to upgrade to a full frame DSLR, provided i sill have this hobby.

Pramod
Old 7th December 2010, 11:15   #5714
BHPian

I have come across a Nikon D50 with kit lense (user says "mint condition") being offered for Rs.21000/-.

1. What all should I check before buying.
2. Is it a good camera. (I am a new user, 1st DSLR)
3. What price is good.
4. Is it a good idea to buy used one or a new one.

Guru's please help. Need to decide quick by evening.
Old 7th December 2010, 11:30   #5715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I have come across a Nikon D50 with kit lense (user says "mint condition") being offered for Rs.21000/-.

1. What all should I check before buying.
Check if the mint means really mint or it is minted heavily by previous owner .
If you have chance to test the cam then I would suggest search for user manual of this DSLR before you go to check so that you are familiar and can try various settings.
Look for physical condition and signs of wear and tear. Listen to the AF motor if it is not too noisy. Look the front and rear element of the lens to check if there are any scratchs , marks signs of cleaning. Peep in to the lens and see if internal looks clean or there is any dust. Hold the lens firmly in hand and slightly shake along axis to check if internal elements are not loose.

Take pictures focused at various points ranging from near objects to infinite focus and check results on laptop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
2. Is it a good camera. (I am a new user, 1st DSLR)
3. What price is good.
4. Is it a good idea to buy used one or a new one.
Answer is yes to 2 and 4 , Do check on price part as I am not too sure of prevailing rates in used market.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks