Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2009, 14:31   #556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
As per the DSLR or Prosumer or whatever debate, the camera is as good as the person behind anyway.
Not exactly kaushik... wait till you know the limitations of your prosumer cam. For a start try and focus on a cloud in the sky.

Offcourse a DSLR alone wont make you a good photographer and this hold true for the statement above but the camera gear matters... a lot if you ask me.
Old 19th March 2009, 15:52   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Ok this might be a miscommunication on my part since I am still stuck on film.

A Hassie 500cm for example uses 6"x6" film. A SLR uses about 1.5" x 1". To make a print of say 36" x 36" using a Hassie I need to magnify the negative 6 times. For the SLR I need to magnify the negative 24 times (at least).
Doesn't that mean you need to magnify the medium format less than that of a 35mm? And that means you get more resolution on the medium format. The same fact is same for the digital medium format as that of the film camera. Medium format has higher resolution no matter the medium used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
What's this exactly? Do you mean to say that you always shoot with very high ISO?
Not always sir. But, since I am mostly into Wildlife and I often shoot in early mornings with very low lights so I end up shooting with ISO 200/400. Which for my puny Canon 400D is a bad thing. So, need to fix those noise which comes in the 400D even at ISO 200. One more reason for me to move to a 50D very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Not exactly kaushik... wait till you know the limitations of your prosumer cam. For a start try and focus on a cloud in the sky.

Offcourse a DSLR alone wont make you a good photographer and this hold true for the statement above but the camera gear matters... a lot if you ask me.
Well even the best gear in the hands of a layman would yield you good for nothing photographs.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 19th March 2009, 20:07   #558
BHPian

Calm down boys! This is a topic beaten to death. I just say, to each his own! Get a beer!

Coming to more interesting things, I am planning to get a monopod to carry along with my photo gear. Not to start another discussion about tripods v/s monopods, I understand the pros and cons of each, but portability is a priority for me and so, the monopod has the upper hand.

I am planning to go for the Manfrotto 682B ( Manfrotto 682B SELF-STANDING Pro Monopod - Jessops)
I would love to know if any of you have had a first-hand use with monopods and especially, this one. Is there any other brand/model which you would recommend in this price range or lesser?
Old 19th March 2009, 20:26   #559
BHPian

This is a great monopod. I've used it myself. Good load bearing capabilities. Even without a head mounted on it, It's a good monopod to start with. Anyway, one thing is there. The tiny legs tend to bend up if you put too much pressure on them and moreover they don't stand up if you have something loaded on it. A monopod also doubles up as a walking stick if you are trekking and also at times to fend yourself.

Regards,

Anirban.
Old 19th March 2009, 21:41   #560
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadVagabond View Post
A monopod also doubles up as a walking stick if you are trekking and also at times to fend yourself.
I too have noticed it, obviously. It can be handy as a weapon in a sticky situation, especially if one knows stick fencing. Don't forget to un-mount the camera first. Unless of course you need it as a good hammer head.

Tripods are no good for that purpose, I've swung it around just to test it.
Old 19th March 2009, 21:51   #561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I too have noticed it, obviously. It can be handy as a weapon in a sticky situation, especially if one knows stick fencing. Don't forget to un-mount the camera first. Unless of course you need it as a good hammer head.

Yea I've beaten a wild boar with a mono once during my Wildlife Census treks. But, sadly it was not a good one and it snapped. BTW the hammer head for what?? Pitching tents?? I need a good tripod sometime soon...when and IF I buy a larger lens. Which is going to bomb my bank account. Thank god I'm still single and won't get hit and run by a wife
Old 19th March 2009, 21:55   #562
BHPian

Quote:
This is a great monopod. I've used it myself. Good load bearing capabilities. Even without a head mounted on it, It's a good monopod to start with. Anyway, one thing is there. The tiny legs tend to bend up if you put too much pressure on them and moreover they don't stand up if you have something loaded on it. A monopod also doubles up as a walking stick if you are trekking and also at times to fend yourself.

Regards,

Anirban.
Thanks for the concise and helpful review! I am going to check it out in the store today evening! I do go hiking quite a bit so should be helpful and you can always use a weapon!

Would you knpow how long and heavy is this? Can it fit into a medium sized camera backpack comfortably?

Quote:
I too have noticed it, obviously. It can be handy as a weapon in a sticky situation, especially if one knows stick fencing.
Reminds me of the time when I used to carry the toolkit wrench with me 24/7 when Raj Thackeray was upto his antics in Maharashtra! Just the upside of driving a UP registered car in Pune!
Old 20th March 2009, 20:35   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Ummmm, don't have one to test that ;-)
Old 20th March 2009, 21:59   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Nomad, May be it's OT: How do you directly process the RAW without even converting it to some other format? Would you please explain? Or am I lagging behind the technologies too much(still using older version of PS)

As per the DSLR or Prosumer or whatever debate, the camera is as good as the person behind anyway.
RAW -> White balance if needed, noise reduction, saturation -> 16 bit Tiff -> Photoshop

That's what I do. For direct RAW editing, I use camera supplied software, Sony Image data converter. But even Picasa can edit RAW.

Last edited by clevermax : 20th March 2009 at 22:04.
Old 21st March 2009, 01:24   #565
BHPian

Quote:

You had me in splits there samurai! By the way, as per you once suggested, I have decided to take the plunge.
Thanks,
TG.
Old 21st March 2009, 12:30   #566
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
You had me in splits there samurai!
Post 9/11 - December 2001 I was travelling from LA to India via Singapore.

I bought a tripod in LA and calmly carried it on the plane. No one stopped me. I never even asked anyone if it was ok.

As I was putting my tripod and wheelie bag into the overhead bin a lady who is walking by me points to the tripod and exclaims "What is that".

I reply "my camera's tripod".

The lady freaks "They confiscated my tweezers and they allowed you to carry a tripod"

I sat down. Arguing was not good in this situation. In my mind I was going "Lady, I guess it was the way you look".

Even after my stopover in Singapore, on Singapore-Mumabi sector I was not asked to check in my tripod.

Last edited by navin : 21st March 2009 at 12:32.
Old 21st March 2009, 19:02   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
"Lady, I guess it was the way you look".
Lol. I know that feeling. I guess tripods are allowed as its part of the camera equipment and almost everything of a camera equipment is allowed as passenger baggage.
Old 22nd March 2009, 02:28   #568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol. I know that feeling. I guess tripods are allowed as its part of the camera equipment and almost everything of a camera equipment is allowed as passenger baggage.
May be Off Topic, but in some of the Indian Airports(e.g Leh, Bagdogra also I guess) they don't allow any Hand-baggage. But they do allow you to carry your camera. But my question is what about the other lenses and accessories. I would never be able to have a peaceful flight if I've to put all my expensive equipment in the check-in baggage(Oh, they handle them very very badly). Anyone have faced any situation like this? If so what have you done to safe-keep your equipment? Any pointers.
Basically that was the reason that I took the flight into Leh but took the road while coming back while the initial plan was the opposite.
Old 22nd March 2009, 10:17   #569
Team-BHP Support

Last trip I took I had an Acoustic guitar in one hand, a SLR system (body+4 lenses+flash) in my back pack and they still let me carry a small carry on. I guess it depend on the airport staff.
Old 22nd March 2009, 11:44   #570
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
You had me in splits there samurai! By the way, as per you once suggested, I have decided to take the plunge.
It was overdue, what are you getting, with what family are you tying your knot?

Quote:
May be Off Topic, but in some of the Indian Airports(e.g Leh, Bagdogra also I guess) they don't allow any Hand-baggage.
I've carried hand-baggage to Bagdogra Airport in 2005, is this a new rule?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks