Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 19:01   #5551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Are you getting that new 2.8L lens? What price you're getting it for?
Rudra sir, it is the non-IS USM, I paid 437 EUR. Tthe IS version is for 747 EUR. Is there any other difference apart from the IS ? If so please let me know what are the differences, I can return upto 1 month, can go for the IS version.
Old 11th November 2010, 19:05   #5552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
......I dropped a plan to buy wide angle....next buy is Canon 7D, if budget permits I will go for Canon 5d Mark2 for its full frame capability.
You should get the 5D Mark II, someone was selling it on team-bhp classifieds few days back for 1 lakh (body only) in 'few months used' condition. Its reviewed to be a fantastic bang for the buck ! The 55-250 is a basic lens, cant expect any miracles from it anyway ! All these 'kit' category is only good for properly lit situations.

I think Rudraji recently picked up a 5D Mark II with his Diwali bonus , you can ask his professional opinion.

If your new lens (100mm) is solely for macro, you wont need auto-focus nor IS, because majority of the macros are done in 100% manual, on a tripod.

Last edited by shajufx : 11th November 2010 at 19:11.
Old 11th November 2010, 19:34   #5553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
You should get the 5D Mark II, someone was selling it on team-bhp classifieds few days back for 1 lakh (body only)

If your new lens (100mm) is solely for macro, you wont need auto-focus nor IS, because majority of the macros are done in 100% manual, on a tripod.
I just checked classified for 5D Mark II, seems like the ad is removed. But Amazon price is 1887 EUR = 1,15,000 Ru, so it is not really deal breaker.

I am coming to Indian on 28 Jan 2011 for 1 month. Please let me know if someone selling 5D Mark II in good condition, I will buy it.
Old 11th November 2010, 19:50   #5554
Senior - BHPian

Quoted price may not be always the selling price, I am sure people bargain to their best. And its very rare that you find someone selling a full frame body thats a latest launch from leading brands like Canon or Nikon. I keep searching classifieds for friends in need, but never came across a Nikon D3S or D3X or Canon Pro series (1D Mark IV, 5 D Mark II, 1 Ds Mark III etc.). Because these are high-end models which doesn't have an upgrade yet !
Old 12th November 2010, 10:05   #5555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just checked classified for 5D Mark II, seems like the ad is removed. But Amazon price is 1887 EUR = 1,15,000 Ru, so it is not really deal breaker.
Please remember that you have to pay a duty of about 25%, so the price quoted here is not all that bad.
Old 12th November 2010, 13:15   #5556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Please remember that you have to pay a duty of about 25%, so the price quoted here is not all that bad.
I am staying in Europe, so, no duty

Guys, check this 80 Mega Pixel camera, Leaf Aptus-II 12 80MP digital camera back
Old 12th November 2010, 13:41   #5557
Senior - BHPian

Pawan, dont get carried away with higher Megapixel cameras, if you want to create a high megapixel image, you can also do it with your normal DSLR through stitching. Its a fact not known to many. I stitched a church image from 19 images last week, original result was 31 MB file with 146 Megapixel !! I had posted it on image thread too (5% of the original) .

So, if you want to print a huge wall paper of your favorite landscape, click more images from left to right or bottom to top, technically 30% should overlap each other, use exposure lock, you will get the sharpest, widest and tallest image at your disposal. Have fun !
Old 12th November 2010, 14:01   #5558
BHPian

Quote:
Pawan, dont get carried away with higher Megapixel cameras, if you want to create a high megapixel image, you can also do it with your normal DSLR through stitching. Its a fact not known to many. I stitched a church image from 19 images last week, original result was 31 MB file with 146 Megapixel !! I had posted it on image thread too (5% of the original) .

So, if you want to print a huge wall paper of your favorite landscape, click more images from left to right or bottom to top, technically 30% should overlap each other, use exposure lock, you will get the sharpest, widest and tallest image at your disposal. Have fun !
How will you do that for a portrait which has to be putten up on the wall of a 10 stories building???
Old 12th November 2010, 14:18   #5559
BHPian

Quote:

I saw your 19 stitch image . I tried stitching 2 images earlier, but I was not aware about 30% overlaping and exposure lock, these are good tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
How will you do that for a portrait which has to be putten up on the wall of a 10 stories building???
make a building small the size of image
Old 12th November 2010, 14:22   #5560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I said 'landscape' buddy
If you want to post a portrait on a 10 storied building, you might be shooting a film-star or celebrity probably, pay a PRO photographer for that. I heard there are also ways to increase the quality through Photoshop and similar programs. Not very sure how good the output will be. I am sure Gurus here could give some tips.
Old 12th November 2010, 14:29   #5561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I said 'landscape' buddy
If you want to post a portrait on a 10 storied building, you might be shooting a film-star or celebrity probably, pay a PRO photographer for that. I heard there are also ways to increase the quality through Photoshop and similar programs. Not very sure how good the output will be. I am sure Gurus here could give some tips.
Well Leaf is exactly for these kind of uses without photo-shop or multiple-shots.

They manufacture only digital backs which can be attached to few high end cameras from hasselblad , mamiya , rollei , contax and few other brands which I have never heard of. No Canon , Nikon , Pentax , Olympus in the list. So in nutshell leaf digital back is expensive to the core pro stuff and not for ordinary mortals.
Old 12th November 2010, 18:53   #5562
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Rudra sir, it is the non-IS USM, I paid 437 EUR. Tthe IS version is for 747 EUR. Is there any other difference apart from the IS ? If so please let me know what are the differences, I can return upto 1 month, can go for the IS version.
Just don't bother about any exchange or upgrading. I've seen this new 2.8 IS and in fact checked it out too. Frankly, I didn't find a reason to upgrade. Contrast looked little more but which also could be my imagination.
Quote:
I think Rudraji recently picked up a 5D Mark II with his Diwali bonus ,
Yes, I did pick up a 5D Mark II body and you're right here.
I didn't get any bonus and I don't get any bonus as I'm a consultant. You are wrong here.
Old 12th November 2010, 19:35   #5563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What you put up on the wall is a low resolution banner, which is different from a gallery display of say 5 feet or more. You can relate the banner to a TV display. The huge projection screen still has the resolution of normal TV, so a banner may have the same number of pixels as a normal photo.

Regarding Leaf 80MP it is a digital back meant for medium and large format cameras. As far as I know the back would be in the region of 45K USD and the camera another 2-5K. Each lense in the region of 2-8k.

There are situations where stitching is not feasible, say in portrait, fashion, action even in landscape where light is changing or clouds are moving. That is where higher MP backs come on their own.

If you want even more MP Seitz Phototechnik AG - Seitz 6x17, a 160MP camera.
Old 13th November 2010, 10:29   #5564
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
if budget permits I will go for Canon 5d Mark2 for its full frame capability. Also I am not happy with Canon 55-250 IS, it needs too much of light, planning to put it on ebay.
Try the 70-200/4 IS for a VFM tele. O a FF (your future 5D2)so you will need a 2x teleconverter to push to real tele (300mm+ mode).

Quote:
No FF, right now I am using 400D :(
but you are looking at FF na? Is three any reason you prefer the 5D2 over APS-C like the 7D/550D/60D? I have found that unless I am looking a huge crops or big blow ups the differences are minor.
Old 13th November 2010, 12:19   #5565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Try the 70-200/4 IS for a VFM tele. O a FF (your future 5D2)so you will need a 2x teleconverter to push to real tele (300mm+ mode).

but you are looking at FF na? Is three any reason you prefer the 5D2 over APS-C like the 7D/550D/60D? I have found that unless I am looking a huge crops or big blow ups the differences are minor.
Thanks for suggestion, the reason for upgrading is, 400D I bought for trial purpose, that was my first DSLR and when I bought I was not sure if it is going to be my hobby. So upgrading is just to fullfill my new hobby . I got my hands completely on manual mode, all my photos are shot in manual mode.

Here is my first macro from my new lens, Rice
The DSLR Thread-rice.jpg

100% crop
The DSLR Thread-rice_macro.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks