Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2010, 14:57   #5506
BHPian

I did a bit of reading on tripods, most sites suggest tad expensive options to begin with. The complete summary of the various "How to buy a tripod" articles I went through is either you spend a fortune and get really expensive stuff as the first purchase only or spend lesser and end up buying something you won't be happy with or won't use much anyway. I started my tripod hunt with an initial budget of 5k, now after reading those articles I have convinced myself to spend 10k (that's the max I can part with as of now)

The model I am looking at is Manfrotto 055XPROB and Manfrotto 322RC2 ballhead, can I buy these for 10k in Bangalore? What other alternatives are there? Right now the heaviest combination of lens+body I have is 350d + sigma 70-300 apo dg.

Also, my next lens purchase (if and when it happens) is going to be either a 300mm f4/L or a 100-400L. If I plan to get the 300mm telephoto how suitable is it for wildlife? I understand that birding is going to be tough, does adding a 1.4x TC help? The cost in that case will be same as 100-400L. Which is the better path to take?

My next question is regarding bags, are crumpler bags available in Bangalore? Anyone here using a 6 million dollar home? I prefer a shoulder bag as often times when I go on treks I will already have a backpack to carry.
Old 7th November 2010, 15:17   #5507
BHPian

I recently bought Cullmann Nanomax 250 for 50 EUR with 10 year warrenty. satisfied with it, it is very light weight, stable and flexible.

The DSLR Thread-pawan-pullarwar-tripod-1.jpg

The DSLR Thread-pawan-pullarwar-tripod-2.jpg
Old 7th November 2010, 20:45   #5508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I am deciding between Nikon D3100, Canon 550 and Canon 500D.
I am less inclined for the 550d as it is priced too high. D3100 and 500d are both around 30K. There is nothing to chose between them when it comes to feature and video recording.

Looking forward to opinions of the experts here in making me a choice.
Sorry for quoting myself. I have eliminated the Canon 550D from my list as its too expensive and its not all that better than the Canon 500D.

So now the big fight is between Nikon D3100 and Canon 550D, with me inclining towards the Nikon only because its a newer product.

Considering I am a beginner to which camera would you recommend? Especially when it comes to ease of use and availability of lenses. I plan to develop my hobby once I get my hands on a D-SLR.

Thanks

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 7th November 2010 at 20:51.
Old 8th November 2010, 10:35   #5509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
Shoot. I was hoping to take some nice water splash shots, will have to look for other jugaad now. Since i wont be able to invest in a speedlight for some time now.
For splash you need a high power flash. That would freeze the movement of drops. Try the shot when the ambient light is low, then the flash would "freeze" the drops while the back ground is subdued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
I own a D90 with 18-105mm lens. I have been using it for about 4 months now. Yesterday, I came across a tricky situation. I was to shoot in dim light (orchestra performing in dim colourful lights). The dance movements were pretty fast.

Now,the dim light demands a long exposure/slow shutter speed whereas for fast movements its other way round. I ended up getting shots with motions. When I chose to use the flash, the pics were blend without the light effect.

Anyone who has come across this situation? Can anyone suggest how to shoot in such a situation? If needed I can post pics too.
Use a high power flash to freeze the dance movements. You calculate the exposure for normal lights, say 1/4 second and use the flash to freeze the dance. All that I can say that it is situation where you have to try various combinations before you get a good shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
I did a bit of reading on tripods, most sites suggest tad expensive options to begin with. The complete summary of the various "How to buy a tripod" articles I went through is either you spend a fortune and get really expensive stuff as the first purchase only or spend lesser and end up buying something you won't be happy with or won't use much anyway. I started my tripod hunt with an initial budget of 5k, now after reading those articles I have convinced myself to spend 10k (that's the max I can part with as of now)

The model I am looking at is Manfrotto 055XPROB and Manfrotto 322RC2 ballhead, can I buy these for 10k in Bangalore? What other alternatives are there? Right now the heaviest combination of lens+body I have is 350d + sigma 70-300 apo dg.

Also, my next lens purchase (if and when it happens) is going to be either a 300mm f4/L or a 100-400L. If I plan to get the 300mm telephoto how suitable is it for wildlife? I understand that birding is going to be tough, does adding a 1.4x TC help? The cost in that case will be same as 100-400L. Which is the better path to take?
The tripod you buy must be rigid enough not to vibrate under normal shooting conditions. A good rigid tripod can be made from wood, but then it would be heavy. A carbon fibre tripod would be light but extremely expensive, so you have to compromise between weight and cost.

A 300mm+TC is never as good as a prime lense by itself. That said, you have to decide what focal length you would be using most often. If it is 300mm with occasional requirement for 500mm then TC is the way to go.
On the other hand if you are shooting requirement is evenly distributed across different focal lengths then a Zoom is for you.

Please note that a 500/600 lense would be F/4 while one with TC would be 5.6 or higher.

Quote:
Considering I am a beginner to which camera would you recommend? Especially when it comes to ease of use and availability of lenses. I plan to develop my hobby once I get my hands on a D-SLR.
Thanks
Depending on what you want to shoot, you should do some research on what type of lenses you would require - wide, normal, tele or super tele. Then find out which brand has the most attractive lenses for you (quality, VFM etc). Bodies come and go regularly, while lenses remain.
Old 8th November 2010, 10:53   #5510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I suppose you meant the 3n1-33 cause the 3n1-22 holds only 12inch netbooks. Also, I heard the opposite regarding the comfort. Lot of complaints regarding the straps: Owners of the Kata 3N1 22 or 33 - Canon Digital Photography Forums

This apart from the price was why I skipped this bag. Design wise, I think this is a great bag though.
Have used Kata 3n1-33 for 4 months now. I have carried Canon 1000D with 18-55, 50 & 55-250 lenses with relative ease. Have used this bag along with a laptop as cabin luggage as well & didn't find it heavy or inconvenient. I had used both straps while carrying it with laptop rather than using single strap as sling bag. With single strap & heavy load (laptop), I think it might lead to some shoulder pain.
I don't know how this bag handles heavier lenses or full-frame camera bodies. Let's see how it handles 100-400mm lens (if I get a chance to move to this lens).

Quote:
Sorry for quoting myself. I have eliminated the Canon 550D from my list as its too expensive and its not all that better than the Canon 500D.

So now the big fight is between Nikon D3100 and Canon 550D, with me inclining towards the Nikon only because its a newer product.
Two contradictory statements. Hope you are considering 550D instead of 500D, have heard that video features of 550D are better than 500D.

Quote:
For SLR cameras, you get into their system rather than just buying a camera. Read post from 'shajufx' few pages back in which he has compared both Canon & Nikon camera bodies & lenses.
Old 8th November 2010, 10:55   #5511
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Depending on what you want to shoot, you should do some research on what type of lenses you would require - wide, normal, tele or super tele. Then find out which brand has the most attractive lenses for you (quality, VFM etc). Bodies come and go regularly, while lenses remain.
I haven't given this much thought as yet. Mostly it will family and pictures of the places I visit. I will not be investing much in lenses now but will use the supplied kit that comes with the camera (18-55mm lens).

Thanks
Old 8th November 2010, 12:31   #5512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't given this much thought as yet. Mostly it will family and pictures of the places I visit. I will not be investing much in lenses now but will use the supplied kit that comes with the camera (18-55mm lens).
Thanks
In that case I would advise against DSLR just now. Get a camera with fixed lense. The advantages are
. Camera is smaller, you can carry it every where
. Camera is cheaper, and most case more weather proof than a DSLR. Advantage - shoot any where in most weathers. Loss can be borne stoically.

The major advantage of a DSLR are the variety of lenses you can use, as well as a whole lot of accessories rarely available in other cameras. If you do not want to use these facilities, then you are saddling yourself with a large, cumbersome camera to no advantage to you.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:55   #5513
BHPian

Quote:
The tripod you buy must be rigid enough not to vibrate under normal shooting conditions. A good rigid tripod can be made from wood, but then it would be heavy. A carbon fibre tripod would be light but extremely expensive, so you have to compromise between weight and cost.

A 300mm+TC is never as good as a prime lense by itself. That said, you have to decide what focal length you would be using most often. If it is 300mm with occasional requirement for 500mm then TC is the way to go.
On the other hand if you are shooting requirement is evenly distributed across different focal lengths then a Zoom is for you.

Please note that a 500/600 lense would be F/4 while one with TC would be 5.6 or higher.
Thanks for the input, I am aware that a 300 f/4 becomes a 420 f/5.6 with a 1.4x TC. I have heard that TCs are best used with primes only so I was thinking I will get a piece of glass that yields sharp images at 300mm and acceptable images at 420mm with a TC. I think this approach will be sharper than the 100-400 at 300mm, it can't reach 420mm though. Besides I already have a 70-300 zoom for other focal lengths.

About tripods, are there any brands that I should definitely avoid? How is the benro brand? Should I take my camera + lens and check out all the models in person before I make a purchase?

What about the crumpler bag? No users here?

Last edited by Ho0ligaN : 8th November 2010 at 12:57.
Old 9th November 2010, 10:58   #5514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In that case I would advise against DSLR just now. Get a camera with fixed lense. The advantages are
. Camera is smaller, you can carry it every where
. Camera is cheaper, and most case more weather proof than a DSLR. Advantage - shoot any where in most weathers. Loss can be borne stoically.

The major advantage of a DSLR are the variety of lenses you can use, as well as a whole lot of accessories rarely available in other cameras. If you do not want to use these facilities, then you are saddling yourself with a large, cumbersome camera to no advantage to you.
What you say makes sense, I think. But then I already have a Sony P&S and am not happy with the pics, hence wanted to upgrade and get myself an entry level SLR.

I first want to explore the capabilities of 18-55mm lens and the camera hence I don't want to invest in lenses right at the get go. Perhaps at a later stage.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:15   #5515
BHPian

Hiren, most 18-55mm lens are good for non-low light photography unless they have a low f-stop (provide bigger aperture), I can vouch for this because I am currently using a G-type (pretty old lens) 28-55mm, 3.3-5.6. This works brilliant in good light conditions, and average in low light. I would recommend that you pick a camera body only and then buy a prime lens like the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D AF, this lens has a f-stop range from 1.8 to 22 in plain english this means 1.8 will be good for low/very low light conditions and 22 for bright light/outdoors and rest will cover everything in between. The only drawback (as some might call it) is that this lens has no zoom, so you will have to move yourself to get closer to the subject.

I think this lens will be best for you to understand lens, DSLR and photography as a whole since things like aperture control and focus can be manually controlled as well. And I feel, that in manual mode you understand the soul of photography.

BTW - I have this 50mm lens with me too

Quote:
I first want to explore the capabilities of 18-55mm lens and the camera hence I don't want to invest in lenses right at the get go. Perhaps at a later stage.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:26   #5516
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Have used Kata 3n1-33 for 4 months now. I have carried Canon 1000D with 18-55, 50 & 55-250 lenses with relative ease.

I don't know how this bag handles heavier lenses or full-frame camera bodies. Let's see how it handles 100-400mm lens (if I get a chance to move to this lens).
I use the older 3N1-30 and still manage to squeeze a netbook in.

My kit is a 40D with BG2EN and 17-55/2.8 attached, a 70-300/4-5.6IS, 28/1.8, 50/1.4, 100/2, hoods for all lenses, 420EX flash, the top pocket carries a S90 and HF10 video camera along with a blower, hiking rope, raincover, the manuals, spare reading glasses, and some accessoies, the 2 small side pockets carry batteries and memory cards and a card reader for all 3 cameras (40D, S90 and HF10). I have walked though Singapore's night safari, zoo, bird park and even done all-day treks with this kit on my back. For the all-day trecks I stuff a small water bottle and sandwich in plastic zip lock bags along with the S90 and HF10. I still have room for a 60/2.8 and 10-22 which I plan to get soon.

For shorter trips I can fit a 70-200/2.8IS or 100-400/4-5.6IS instead of the 70-300.

I am 47, 175cm tall / 75kgs and have had no trouble with this kit. With a 70-200 in the bag (along with other lenses) I have been able to swing the bag to remove the body+17-55+BG combo while walking (to shoot monkeys in trees) and have even switched lenses from the 17-55 to the 70-200 during some of my son's school events.

Last edited by navin : 9th November 2010 at 12:34.
Old 9th November 2010, 13:03   #5517
BHPian

I was looking for entry level DSLR and wanted to choose between Canon D1000 / Nikon D3000 / Pentax K x. I had asked a friend in US to buy for me with a budget of around 450USD.

Reading about, I found that all Sony A series cameras can use Minolta Maxxum AF lens. I own a Minolta Maxxum SLR with 35-80 AF lens. I found a deal where Sony A500 body is available for 400 USD and I have almost decided on it. Any advice on this.

I was a pretty serious photographer but lost interest a few years ago.
Old 9th November 2010, 13:31   #5518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raju2512 View Post
I was looking for entry level DSLR and wanted to choose between Canon D1000 / Nikon D3000 / Pentax K x. I had asked a friend in US to buy for me with a budget of around 450USD.

Reading about, I found that all Sony A series cameras can use Minolta Maxxum AF lens. I own a Minolta Maxxum SLR with 35-80 AF lens. I found a deal where Sony A500 body is available for 400 USD and I have almost decided on it. Any advice on this.

I was a pretty serious photographer but lost interest a few years ago.
I would advise against buying camera bodies in US, as the warranty is not honoured in India. This would be of no consequence if you travel to US regularly.

As far as I can remember Sony took over the Camera business from Minolta, so all their lenses should fit. But please go through some reviews of your lense and check if it is sharp enough for modern digital sensors. Some older lenses were good with film, but display all sorts of aberration with digital sensors.

The Nikon and Canon lenses especially their top of the line primes were generally better than competition, hence their popularity with professionals.

As the DSLR is a system, just one part - body, lense, flash etc should not sway your decision. The DSLR system is a long term commitment, hence approach it with a lot of research.
Old 9th November 2010, 13:52   #5519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho0ligaN View Post
Thanks for the input, I am aware that a 300 f/4 becomes a 420 f/5.6 with a 1.4x TC. I have heard that TCs are best used with primes only so I was thinking I will get a piece of glass that yields sharp images at 300mm and acceptable images at 420mm with a TC. I think this approach will be sharper than the 100-400 at 300mm, it can't reach 420mm though. Besides I already have a 70-300 zoom for other focal lengths.

About tripods, are there any brands that I should definitely avoid? How is the benro brand? Should I take my camera + lens and check out all the models in person before I make a purchase?

What about the crumpler bag? No users here?
Choosing an Canon L lens for wildlife has always been confusing. We have to think and sort out what we exactly need from the lens. Here's my opinion on three lenses that most starters end up with.

Canon 300mm F4 L IS
+ Sharp Lens
+ Weighs less than the 100-400L
+ AF is faster than 100-400L
+ Built in Hood

- Many times you'll end up needing more reach (Birds especially)
- With TC the images are just as good as 100-400L

Buy if you know 300mm is all you need. If you have a TC in mind its better to go with the 100-400L.

Canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 L IS

+ Excellent Zoom range suitable for wildlife
+ Sharp even at 400mm
+ More value for money considering it as a wildlife lens

- Its a Heavy metal
- Not all 100-400L copies are sharp so try before buying
- Variable aperture
- AF not as fast as the prime

Buy if you need maximum flexibility and reach this is your best bet.

Let me add the 400mm f5.6 L in the list

+ Fastest AF among the three
+ Very Sharp
+ Weighs lighter than the other two
+ Built in hood
+ Cheapest option for 400mm reach

- No IS
- bad MFD

Buy if you shoot fast moving birds in flight. (Its the most famous 400mm lens for this purpose) Unless u have a very unsteady hand you can safely use it hand held at 1/250 shutter speed.

If IS is important for you ignore the third option. For me IS makes a photo usable but not sharp.

Here's a panning shot that I tried with a 400mm L hand held at 1/20 sec ISO 160
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-400f-5.6l.jpg  

Old 9th November 2010, 14:05   #5520
BHPian

Thanks for the quick reply.

My decision is based on

1. I am not looking for professional camera - atleast not yet.
2. DSLR are not a system. They are made of components and that's the advantage of DSLRs.
3. The lens I have is a pretty good one and as such there should be no issues.
4. I have friends / relatives who travel almost once a month to US. So I am not much worried about warranty and unless misused these bodies rarely develop a problem in 2 years.
5. If I can save around 150 USD on the lens and use it get a one step higher level body, I would prefer that since I can always upgrade the lens later.
6. There are many possitive reviews for this camera and almost every one mentions the availability of Maxxum lenses in the second hand market as one of the advantahes of Sony DSLRs

Ofcourse I am yet to take a call on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks