Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2010, 15:39   #5461
BHPian

Hey BHPians, I've been a user of Sony alpha 100 for almost 3 years now and am looking to upgrade. I've some queries regarding two new models launched by Sony recently, which are:

1. Alpha SLT 55 - Specs include 16.x MP HD Exmor CMOS sensor, translucent mirror & EVF (no OVF) along with 3 Live View Modes & HD Video recording.

2. Alpha 580 - Specs pretty much similar to SLT 55, except that it's got OVF & a full reflective mirror.

3. Also SLT 55 is slightly smaller & lighter than 580.

Now my queries:

1. Due to an EVF, the no. of shots with a fully charged battery is ~350 in SLT 55. On the other hand, 580 would give ~750 when using OVF. So are there any real advantages of EVF, other than seeing the results of changing exposure settings in the VF?

2. Do translucent mirrors provide any improvement in quality of the photographs clicked? Or could it be other way around?
Old 29th October 2010, 16:04   #5462
Team-BHP Support

I am told it leads to a 1/3 stop reduction. However, dpreview called the tech very innovative, and the short review mentioned the SLT 55 being able to do many things which other cams cannot.
Sony SLT-A55 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Since I am not really a sony system owner, I do not remember the details as I skimmed through it all.
It has a built in gps, so all your pics are geotagged
Old 29th October 2010, 16:35   #5463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am told it leads to a 1/3 stop reduction. However, dpreview called the tech very innovative, and the short review mentioned the SLT 55 being able to do many things which other cams cannot.
Sony SLT-A55 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Since I am not really a sony system owner, I do not remember the details as I skimmed through it all.
It has a built in gps, so all your pics are geotagged
Thanks mate! So the 1/3 stop reduction can spell some trouble for hand held low light clicks? Frankly I am waiting for the dpreview folks to review the 580. Guess Sony still hasn't given them a unit to review considering that the model launch is slated for first week of Nov.

I had another query related to using of CPL & GND filters together. The CPL is of Hoya (slim one) & GND of B+W (kinda heavy). Someone once told me that I should screw the GND on top of the CPL, which I am doing as of now. But the problem is that since the GND is a lot heavier than the CPL, whenever I am done with setting the CPL to my liking and as soon as I rotate the GND, it also rotates the CPL. Now my question: Is it advisable to use the CPL over the GND as rotating the CPL does not effect the position of GND?
Old 29th October 2010, 17:44   #5464
Team-BHP Support

CPL over GND or GND over CPL, both is not okay unless both are Multi coated filters(expensive ones).
If they are not MC, you will definitely see flare and image quality degradation.

Now if they are MC, you can definitely put CPL over GND. No issues.
One filters job is to polarize light, and other filters job is to provide transmission loss.
Old 29th October 2010, 19:33   #5465
BHPian

Is this the right time to pick up D90 or is it better to wait till Diwali?
Old 30th October 2010, 05:16   #5466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
When I got my 70-200 f4 IS (sold this lens to get the 2.8 IS) it was 48k and f2.8 was 86k and it was almost double.
Sir any idea what the f/4 IS currently costs in Bangalore?
Old 30th October 2010, 23:19   #5467
BHPian

Guys....finally got my Nikon D90 today for Rs.41400.00\- body only, with bill, Nikon India 2 years warranty + 4 gb card + Nikon Bag,this camera is pure bliss!!

An unboxing video and detailed review to be posted soon in a separate thread here
Old 31st October 2010, 02:06   #5468
BHPian

PENTAX k-X

At long last I got my Pentax K-x, unboxed it today. On paper it seems to be very good. Lets see
Old 31st October 2010, 22:20   #5469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
CPL over GND or GND over CPL, both is not okay unless both are Multi coated filters(expensive ones).
If they are not MC, you will definitely see flare and image quality degradation.

Now if they are MC, you can definitely put CPL over GND. No issues.
One filters job is to polarize light, and other filters job is to provide transmission loss.
Hey buddy, thanks again for the clarification! Both the filters are multi-coated ones. The CPL is from the HMC slim series and GND is definitely multi-coated. Will give CPL over GND a shot (pun intended ) and post the pic for review.
Old 1st November 2010, 12:32   #5470
BHPian

This may sound stupid but can a Ef 1.4x II or 2x II extenders be used with a Efs 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS lens. Are there any other alternatives similar to this from which i can improve the zoom range of my 55-250 lens.
Old 1st November 2010, 14:19   #5471
HSV
BHPian

Hey guys need a little techo help here pls. I have a Yashica (old film) camera with a Yashica 50mm F1.7 lens. Can this lens be put on a D3100? I think that this is a manual focus lens. Will it need some kind of adaptor/mount or will it fit directly on the D3100 body?
Old 1st November 2010, 19:12   #5472
Senior - BHPian

used lens

What to look/check for before buying a used lens? How to verify that internal optics are intact and lens doesn't have any physical damage or have experienced a drop/fall.

secondly, what should be price range for a used Canon 100-400 mm lens?
Old 1st November 2010, 20:54   #5473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
Hey guys need a little techo help here pls. I have a Yashica (old film) camera with a Yashica 50mm F1.7 lens. Can this lens be put on a D3100? I think that this is a manual focus lens. Will it need some kind of adaptor/mount or will it fit directly on the D3100 body?
Is there something special about this Yashica lens that you wish to continue using it for e.g. contrast, image quality etc?

I do not believe an older model Yashica lens will fit on a D3100 body as there is no adapter made for Yashica lens to a Nikon D3100 and vice versa. This is ofcourse AFAIK.

A D3100 has no mechanical actuator to focus the lens. It relies on the lens' built in auto focus motor called the silent wave motor (SWM) in Nikon terminology or USM (ultra sonic motor) by Canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
What to look/check for before buying a used lens? How to verify that internal optics are intact and lens doesn't have any physical damage or have experienced a drop/fall.

secondly, what should be price range for a used Canon 100-400 mm lens?
Physical damage should be obvious. Look at the lens barrel for impact marks & scratches. Check for smooth operation of the zoom, focus and aperture rings. Mainly check the glass. Do this by looking thru it at a reasonably bright light from both ends of the lens barrel. This highlights cracks and fungal growth. Both are a no no. Also check if the multi coat on the lens surface is scratched or damaged. Last but not the least, mount the lens on your SLR and take a few test shots to gauge the microchip embedded in each lens + the autofocus function.
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:11   #5474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSV View Post
Two questions
1. Is your DSLR body ( D3100) already purchased ?
2 Is this old Yashica lens M42 screw-mount Yashinon ?

There are M42 / M39 and other manual focus mounts available but the problem is that you can not achieve infinity focus on Nikon mount.

However if you have Canon EF-S or a Pentax Camera then the mounts work perfectly in Manual and AF confirm mode.

You need to purchase a mount converter from e-bay.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Is there something special about this Yashica lens that you wish to continue using it for e.g. contrast, image quality etc?
Yes there is first of all it is F1.7 50 mm lens that is a fast prime.
If it can be used then why not ?

Focus motor is immaterial here as OP owns a film camera we can be pretty sure he knows very well how to focus manually.
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:54   #5475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Yes there is first of all it is F1.7 50 mm lens that is a fast prime.
If it can be used then why not ?

Focus motor is immaterial here as OP owns a film camera we can be pretty sure he knows very well how to focus manually.
Agreed...why not reuse lenses if possible. But then I wouldn't just brush off the lack of a focus motor as a minor inconvenience. And oh yes...anyone who uses a late model camera would know to focus either using the manual or automatic modes! The world of Kodak Instamatics and Polaroid cameras with fixed focus lenses are long gone.

I have used Yashicas before (my 1st camera) and that too with a F1.7 lens but never found their lenses as good as the Nikon 50 mm primes i.e. the F1.8 and F1.4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks