Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2010, 08:33   #5416
BHPian

Rajat, congrats on your buy and a good deal I say! How was your experience with Vivilash, i mean his reception, technical knowledge etc? I found this guy to be pretty knowledgable and warm towards his customer when I went to pick up a Nikon L110 for a colleague and a Tripod for myself. His rates are also quite competative and I think is a good alternative to V.G. Chimalgi on this side of the city.
Old 25th October 2010, 10:04   #5417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Guys....just came back after booking my Nikon D90, final price was negotiated at Rs.41400.00 with 4gb memory card and genuine Nikon bag as freebies. This was done at Vivilash, Punjagutta. The guy said that since D90 is no longer in stock they only order after 50% advance payment. Got news from someone that soon only D3100, D5000 and D7000 would be the choice for the amateurs. So technically DXX series (D90, D80, etc.) would be no longer available, and only DXXXX(D3000,D5000,etc.) would be the offering for the amateurs.
Congrats Rajat. Is it with the kit lens? 18-105mm?
Old 25th October 2010, 10:25   #5418
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews/suggestions between the Canon 10-22 USM Vs. the Tokina 11-16 for a Canon 450D body?

Decision is getting hard especially coz the price difference between them is about 100-150$
Old 25th October 2010, 12:09   #5419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Any reviews/suggestions between the Canon 10-22 USM Vs. the Tokina 11-16 for a Canon 450D body?

Decision is getting hard especially coz the price difference between them is about 100-150$

How much is the price of them?
I recently purchased Sigma 10-20 and I am happy with it. You can try that as well.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:15   #5420
BHPian

Thanks, still waiting for the delivery, its been like car booking and waiting for the delivery . The person I met there was Mr. Shankar, I guess he is the owner, he was a true gentleman. He reminded me of the small town charisma that we are losing with this mall and multibrand store culture. He is knowlegeable too, this is what I love about these small stores that run as a legacy. In the shopping malls, electronics stores the sales guy would be just pushing you towards the deal without knowing a thing, for a sales guy the camera is a camera, for him an SLR is an expensive toy and P&S an economical alternative,
When I called and asked for a quote it was Rs. 42145\- and finally the deal was closed at Rs.41400\- no further discount, however he offered a free portrait of me and my wife, all printed and framed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Rajat, congrats on your buy and a good deal I say! How was your experience with Vivilash, i mean his reception, technical knowledge etc? I found this guy to be pretty knowledgable and warm towards his customer when I went to pick up a Nikon L110 for a colleague and a Tripod for myself. His rates are also quite competative and I think is a good alternative to V.G. Chimalgi on this side of the city.
This is without lens, I ordered one 50mm 1.4D prime Nikkor from US and already have an AF 18-55mm kit lens from my old Nikon N55 film SLR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Congrats Rajat. Is it with the kit lens? 18-105mm?
I will also be posting a full article/review once I have all the items with me (camera is yet to be delivered, prime lens is in Delhi)

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 25th October 2010 at 12:18.
Old 25th October 2010, 12:42   #5421
Senior - BHPian

Rajat bhai,

This is a full tax paid price with India warranty no?
Old 25th October 2010, 12:47   #5422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
The person I met there was Mr. Shankar, I guess he is the owner, he was a true gentleman. He reminded me of the small town charisma that we are losing with this mall and multibrand store culture. He is knowlegeable too, this is what I love about these small stores that run as a legacy
Rs. 42145\- and finally the deal was closed at Rs.41400\-
yes rajat, thats our man. Like i said earlier, the guy is customer centric, enthusiastic and is keen on becoming a renowned name in the market.
From what i have seen, thats a sweet little discount you go there.

Happy clicking,
Arun
Old 25th October 2010, 13:59   #5423
BHPian

Yes Sir, complete, tax paid, Nikon India 2 Year Warranty,
Not a grey item, because it goes for around 37-38K in the grey market without lens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Rajat bhai,

This is a full tax paid price with India warranty no?
Old 25th October 2010, 14:00   #5424
BHPian

Quote:

Canon 10-22mm Ef-s f3.5 - 4.5
I have this lens and it has helped me produce many wonderful shots handheld. I never really felt the need for a tripod even while taking indoor shots(I would just increase my ISO a bit if needed). The color, sharpness and contrast is excellent. The lens is light and moderately built. Good flare control for an ultra wide lens. Nice zoom range and the zoom ring is comfortable to use. Focus is quiet and quick.

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

It is a well built lens and is heavier than the canon.
If you need the f2.8 and find yourself taking more pictures indoor than outdoor this lens should be the choice. (Sometimes even f2.8 is not enough)
Limited zoom range is a compromise you have to make for a faster lens.
The edges are sharper than the canon at similar f stops.

As a whole both are good lenses. Buy what is more suitable for your needs.
Old 25th October 2010, 14:30   #5425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
How much is the price of them?
I recently purchased Sigma 10-20 and I am happy with it. You can try that as well.
The Sigma is about another 100$ cheaper than the other two and I am not looking at it as I want to invest in a better quality lens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Canon 10-22mm Ef-s f3.5 - 4.5
I have this lens and it has helped me produce many wonderful shots handheld. I never really felt the need for a tripod even while taking indoor shots(I would just increase my ISO a bit if needed). The color, sharpness and contrast is excellent. The lens is light and moderately built. Good flare control for an ultra wide lens. Nice zoom range and the zoom ring is comfortable to use. Focus is quiet and quick.

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8

It is a well built lens and is heavier than the canon.
If you need the f2.8 and find yourself taking more pictures indoor than outdoor this lens should be the choice. (Sometimes even f2.8 is not enough)
Limited zoom range is a compromise you have to make for a faster lens.
The edges are sharper than the canon at similar f stops.

As a whole both are good lenses. Buy what is more suitable for your needs.

F2.8 is just an added bonus I felt from a personal POV, would help a bit for indoor or early morning/late evening shots as well. The only thing holding me back from the Tokina was the extremely limited zoom range. But then the price point of the Tokina is making it much much more accessible than the Canon.

If picture quality wise say at full wide in bright sunlight the performance/clarity is not too very different, I don't mind settling with the Tokina!
Old 26th October 2010, 03:31   #5426
BHPian

Quote:
The Sigma is about another 100$ cheaper than the other two and I am not looking at it as I want to invest in a better quality lens.

F2.8 is just an added bonus I felt from a personal POV, would help a bit for indoor or early morning/late evening shots as well. The only thing holding me back from the Tokina was the extremely limited zoom range. But then the price point of the Tokina is making it much much more accessible than the Canon.

If picture quality wise say at full wide in bright sunlight the performance/clarity is not too very different, I don't mind settling with the Tokina!
The higher price that you pay for the canon is for the higher zoom range you get both on the wide and tele end. It's got a higher magnification and better minimum focusing distance. Excellent flare control even without a hood (for those early morning sunrise shots).

From what I have read the Tokina has a little edge on the resolving power when compared to Canon. Here is a good comparison between the two lenses with pics that I found to be useful Canon 10-22 F3.5-4.5 USM v Tokina 11-16 F2.8 ATX DX PRO Photo Gallery by lightrules at pbase.com

What other lenses do you have? or intend to buy in future?

If you have a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 in the list just go for the Tokina. If you have a 24-70 f2.8 in mind go for the canon.
Old 26th October 2010, 10:29   #5427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What other lenses do you have? or intend to buy in future?

If you have a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 in the list just go for the Tokina. If you have a 24-70 f2.8 in mind go for the canon.
Thanks for the link it was really helpful.

I checked out the Lens Explorer on Flickriver, and compared the shots taken across a wide ranges of users of both lenses and going by the first look more stunning shots have been taken by the 10-22 guys. Of course at the end of the it boils down to how each individual is clicking/composing/processing. But then the results across many different users are compared we can see an average trend and somehow the Canon is trumping the Tokina in this department. Have look yourself and see the difference in results.

Currently I just carry a basic setup with the 18-55, 55-250 and 50mm set of lenses. Need a ultra wide for landscape shots, now I just have to resort to stitching to get a wide shot!
Old 26th October 2010, 11:06   #5428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
F2.8 is just an added bonus...If picture quality wise say at full wide in bright sunlight the performance/clarity is not too very different, I don't mind settling with the Tokina!
Quote:
The higher price that you pay for the canon...It's got a higher magnification and better minimum focusing distance. Excellent flare control even without a hood (for those early morning sunrise shots).

I intend to get the 10-22 to supplement my 17-55/2.8. The Tokina just does not cut the mustard (I tested it in Malaysia a year or so ago).

Quote:
Currently I just carry a basic setup with the 18-55, 55-250 and 50mm set of lenses.
I hope you know that the 10-22 will cost as much as all 3 lenses you currently own. if you are shooting in braod daylight at F/8 etc... there will be little difference but the canon might just win on colour and flare control.

If it is just pure wide angle that you want you could also consider the Sigma 8-16/4.5-5.6. At F/8 or so it will be sharp enough. It costs about as much as the Canon 10-22 which has a slight overlap with most wide zooms (18-55, 15-85, 17-55 etc..)
Old 26th October 2010, 11:29   #5429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post

I hope you know that the 10-22 will cost as much as all 3 lenses you currently own. if you are shooting in braod daylight at F/8 etc... there will be little difference but the canon might just win on colour and flare control.
It actually costs more than what I paid for the 3 lenses and the body put together!

I guess maybe I'm just brand obsessed, but somehow the Sigma's don't feel right. It's just my personal opinion against them. Would choose between the Tokina 11-16 or the Canon 10-22 only.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:31   #5430
Team-BHP Support

I use the Tamron 10-24. costs around 26,000 with bill and warranty. If you are okay with some corner sharpness issues, its actually a beautiful lens.

Most Viewed