Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2010, 13:15   #4921
Team-BHP Support

From my personal experience, the Auto mode pics of most DSLRs are not as good as Auto mode pics of P&S cameras.
A DSLR offers good control over Depth of field, and exposure. If you are using auto mode, you kind of take away the advantages of a DSLR
Old 9th September 2010, 13:17   #4922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
In all of my 28 years of passionately pursuing my hobby of photography, I've seen this general aversion to the 'Auto' mode on the SLR/DSLR. Why?
GD, I am a baby in front of your 28 years of passion and hobby, so no offense taken nor given . I dont think I ever meant anything like 'auto' is to be condemned and thrown out of the window. Its defenitely useful and good for many, my only point was using the auto mode on a DSLR, which doesnt make sense to spend that kind of money and go the auto-mode.

All my readings and the 2 days workshop that I attended pointed to the same thing without a change of tone. Also remember there is another extreme side to this that many people claim full 'Manual' is the PRO way of shooting. I cant accept that, because there are many situations that will never repeat for our settings to be alrite, so chances are very high to miss out certain shots just because we are fiddling with the manual mode.

Auto mode is something that camera decides every settings for you, you have no way of controlling anything in it. There are many tricky situations where auto mode totally fails to impress (low light, too much light, ice, snow etc). I believe creativity is something that comes out of your imagination and artistic talents or skills, not leaving things to the gadget and hoping it to do the best. I didnt write things for you GD, its few lines from my training stuff that might be useful for newbies, which I believe has changed my way of looking at things.
Old 9th September 2010, 13:33   #4923
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In all of my 28 years of passionately pursuing my hobby of photography, I've seen this general aversion to the 'Auto' mode on the SLR/DSLR. Why?

Does it hurt the ego or in any way lessens your composition skills?
I hear what you are saying. In my 21 years of shooting, I too focused only on composition and not technicals. The first 4 years I had a pure manual SLR, so I could not use auto. But after that I was mostly using auto mode in my fixed lens SLR and the digital P&S cameras that followed.

In 2005 I got a big kick in the butt and decided to learn photography. After that my photographs become much better.

Moving out of auto mode helps you pick the DOF and shutter speed of your choice. Those additional choices can really help you to be more creative in your compositions.
Old 9th September 2010, 13:43   #4924
Senior - BHPian

I do not have much experience compared to most of the people here so I use auto mode without any bias. Well soon I will be shifting to manual after my new vintage super takumar lands in my hand :-( but then got a AF Confirm adapter to help me out.

I have seen budget telephoto lens like my Sigma 70-300 APO DG hunts for focus at times and manual mode works fine. So IMHO if your equipment allows then why not use it but when equipment meets limitation shift to manual.

I don't think there is anything wrong in Auto mode just that when you want some specialized situations like playing with depth of field or light , manual works better some times ( though it may spoil the photo as well ) most of the time it is kind of showing off my 'kalakari' lol.
Old 9th September 2010, 14:05   #4925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
congrats JK. Thats a good buy. A good equipment and good price. Lets see more 'stable' pics now.
pretty big to carry around though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
@jk, which shop? is it online?
jjmehta has but they havent quoted the price. I bought it from Babas, Trivandrum. They have a good collection of expensive ones too ( manfrotto etc )

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Good buy was there any Vivetar model with ball-head if yes then how much ?

I doubt and anyway not at this price.

Vivitar Camera Tripod (VPT Series)

Auto as in Auto ? Try P IMHO.

Last edited by jkdas : 9th September 2010 at 14:07.
Old 9th September 2010, 17:19   #4926
BHPian

The Auto mode has been removed from the Pro/semi pro DSLR. My D300 has P mode max and no auto mode, which is indeed useful when I have to quickly take a shot on streets. It saves a lot of time in metering and setting apertures/shutters etc.

I believe the auto mode is still needed by journalist who has no time to fiddle with the settings.

I also agree that Auto mode gives lousy shots. I think the setting is not refined since the DSLR is targeted for knowledgeble customers who mosrtly prefer priority modes.

Still I think using any mode is a personal choice.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
From my personal experience, the Auto mode pics of most DSLRs are not as good as Auto mode pics of P&S cameras.
A DSLR offers good control over Depth of field, and exposure. If you are using auto mode, you kind of take away the advantages of a DSLR
Old 9th September 2010, 17:31   #4927
BHPian

Quote:

Does it hurt the ego or in any way lessens your composition skills?
I use Aperture priority when I want to control the DOF and/or Bokeh. Different lenses have different sweet spots regarding sharpeness & resolutions, so being in A mode gives me a bit of control on how the pic turns out. Else, for 80% of the situations Auto or Program mode serves just fine.
Old 10th September 2010, 17:50   #4928
BHPian

Folks,got my self a brand new Nikon D3000 It came with 18-55mm lense.

I have been using a Sony Cybershot P&S camera till now. Now i am totally over whelmed by the new DSLR. I am gonna need some help in understanding this monster.
Can somebody please point me towards some resourses online regarding the basics of 'professional' prography and also some basics of DSLR?
Also, are there any photography workshops for beginners like us in Bangalore?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Eagerly awaiting.
I am attaching a couple of close ups of a rose i shot today in close-up mode. I just need some help to improve the already good photography skills

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0024.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dsc_0025.jpg

Last edited by naveenvenkatesh : 10th September 2010 at 17:54.
Old 10th September 2010, 18:10   #4929
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post

I have been using a Sony Cybershot P&S camera till now. Now i am totally over whelmed by the new DSLR. I am gonna need some help in understanding this monster.
Congrats on the new camera!

Nice photos. I think you can start by not being awed by your new DSLR. These are not monsters but tools that will help you take photos.

YOU are the one that composes & creates, the camera will capture it for you. I've been dabbling on and off in photography since I was in school i.e. over 3 decades ago so here's a heads up - photography can be a very expensive hobby. there are many pro, advanced amateurs and amateur photographers on TBHP...Rudra Sen in a pro. Check out his photos. They are very inspiring and just phenomenal.

PS-why didnt you go in for the Nikon D3100?

Good luck!

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th September 2010 at 18:13. Reason: added PS
Old 11th September 2010, 08:30   #4930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post

Can somebody please point me towards some resourses online regarding the basics of 'professional' prography and also some basics of DSLR?
Also, are there any photography workshops for beginners like us in Bangalore?
Congrats on you new DSLR. Where did you pick it up and how much did you pay?

Pictures posted by Rudra are so inspiring that am even thinking of going for a DSLR. While I was researching information on the web, I came across few places where they conduct photography courses in Bangalore. Below are the links.

Photography Workshop and Course in Bangalore

Basic Courses

Hope this helps.

Last edited by chethan.ram : 11th September 2010 at 08:36.
Old 11th September 2010, 09:24   #4931
Senior - BHPian

Second surgery (accident repair) and still working

My faithful Minolta 70-210 fell down to hard floor when I opened car's boot the other day. It worked fine for few more clicks after that, and then the front focal element got separated from the rest of the lens.

It was rendered useless, and yesterday I had to reassemble the lens again, hoping that it will work. Surprisingly, it works and the image quality is still the same.

The DSLR Thread-dsc09871_s.jpg

100% crop:
The DSLR Thread-dsc09871_100crop.jpg
Old 11th September 2010, 10:35   #4932
Senior - BHPian

@naveenvenkatesh :Congrats. on My advise is that you go through the manual thoroughly. Spent time in learning the controls and fucntions of camera. Later on you can find many websites giving basic information on photography. Built it up slowly.

@clevermax : I am sure your heart would have been in mouth.

In D90 manual, it says this may happen if the camera is switched off with VR on and secondly when trying to focus manually with autofocus on. They say its normal and the lens can be assembled again. But of course a fall is dicey! Be careful next time.

Its really irritating to spend money on a replacement rather than on an upgrade.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 11th September 2010 at 10:39.
Old 11th September 2010, 14:23   #4933
BHPian

Guys need your inputs on this :

eBay India: SIMPLEX 333 Camera Tripod Video, Light Weight! Stand (item 180551587677 end time 22-Sep-2010 12:57:39 IST)

i am using a canon 1000D and looking for a "beginner" Tripod
Old 11th September 2010, 16:05   #4934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbas View Post
Guys need your inputs on this :

eBay India: SIMPLEX 333 Camera Tripod Video, Light Weight! Stand (item 180551587677 end time 22-Sep-2010 12:57:39 IST)

i am using a canon 1000D and looking for a "beginner" Tripod

I have one with me. The cover is absolutely cheap. At full length it may be dicey to leave a heavy camera like a DSLR in open when wind speed is high. Well, at least it gives that kind of feeling but it has never happened to me. Its a starters tripod if you dont want to upgrade for some time or your tripod usage is minimal.

All said and done it works fine, it has all the features of a good tripod. Just be careful using it in open as i said before.

For a beginner its fine. Price is fine too if you can not find it nearby in any shop.
Old 11th September 2010, 20:40   #4935
Senior - BHPian

New Pentax K-R announced at 799$

ISO up to 25600, a 6 FPS shutter, dual power source (AA's or rechargeable battery), and improved autofocus

Looks pretty exciting for new Camera buyers over Ca-Nikons.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks