Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2010, 14:42   #4561
Senior - BHPian

Question on the lens cap. Since the cap supplied with lens does not have a tag, I keep the cap in the bag until the clicking is over. Thus I end up with the lens uncovered for long durations.

Does it make sense to buy a lens cap with a tag that can be attached to the camera? Any ideas on where would one get such a cap?

Does this tag come in the way of taking snaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Lost my lens cap somewhere in Bandipore forest last week. After searching at several places in Kormangla and indiranagar area got a replacement at 350 Rs from Whizz in Forum , This is simply overpriced because cap looks 3ed party ( Sonia ) with Canon written on it but good thing is that there is a small hole in the cap through which I have put a black string and fastned it to the loop in camera strap so won't loose it again.
@Amit, please share your experience. Does the tag and the hanging cap come in the way?
Old 29th July 2010, 15:34   #4562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Does it make sense to buy a lens cap with a tag that can be attached to the camera? Any ideas on where would one get such a cap?

@Amit, please share your experience. Does the tag and the hanging cap come in the way?
I purchased thick black string of 1 meter from a general store for 2 Rs and passed it through the hole in lens cap and at the other end fastened it to the loop in neck strap. So the cap hangs below camera body and does not come in the way.
I bough the aftermarket lens cap from Whizz in Forum mall. A few weeks after this purchase found the original lens cap in my vehicle as well but now it lies unused in camera bag.

Last edited by amitk26 : 29th July 2010 at 15:35.
Old 29th July 2010, 16:25   #4563
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Thanks Sbraj.

BTW can any one give the details of where can i purchase a used dslr?
Hi All

Can you please let me know where i can buy a 2nd hand one in chennai
Old 29th July 2010, 17:46   #4564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Question on the lens cap. Since the cap supplied with lens does not have a tag, I keep the cap in the bag until the clicking is over. Thus I end up with the lens uncovered for long durations.

I used to find the lens cap with a tag distracting in my P&S.

I don't think there is a need to cover the lens as long as you a a bit careful. To protect the dslr lens, you may use a UV filter. But then again, there have been debates about how cheap UV filters affect the picture quality.
Old 29th July 2010, 17:59   #4565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
To protect the dslr lens, you may use a UV filter. But then again, there have been debates about how cheap UV filters affect the picture quality.
Yes, right. I am not looking for filters or any protection while clicking.

Quote:
I don't think there is a need to cover the lens as long as you a a bit careful.
It is while walking around with the camera in hand that I want some cover. Dusty wind, for example.

Was in Mysore zoo last week and end up walking 3 KM with camera in hand. I don't think it is practical to keep putting the camera back into the bag every now and then. A lens cap may help, though not sure.
Old 29th July 2010, 18:10   #4566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it make sense to buy a lens cap with a tag that can be attached to the camera?
Quote:
I used to find the lens cap with a tag distracting in my P&S.
I find such tags in many video cams, not on a DSLR. Because video cam lenses are fixed, DSLR lenses get changed according to the situation. Practically speaking, its a nuisance than a help. If I had my lens cap with a tag, I would have cut it in the first place. If I am on a photo walk for 4 hours, my camera is ON and lens is OPEN whole time. Never found any issue with that. A proper hood will do all the basic protection.

Exceptional cases are what you mentioned, dusty location or sea side where the air will have salt water particles. Cover the lens, otherwise it will need a cleaning. Its a wiser idea to get a photographer's jacket ( plenty of pockets) so that everything is handy.
Old 29th July 2010, 18:22   #4567
BHPian

Hello "shutter"bhpians

I am on the lookout for a Canon FD lens mount to a Canon EF lens mount convertor. Any suggestions on where I can find these?

Also I am looking for some good reading material (study) on photography. Can someone please suggest some good material (online or hardcopy)?

Last edited by ajman28 : 29th July 2010 at 18:26.
Old 29th July 2010, 18:48   #4568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
A proper hood will do all the basic protection
Thanks for the advice. I have a NIKKOR 18-105mm. I suppose the supplied hood (Bayonet Lens Hood HB-32) is sufficient.

Quote:
Its a wiser idea to get a photographer's jacket ( plenty of pockets) so that everything is handy.
Again thanks. TBHP rocks.

Any idea where in Bangalore one can get hold of these?
Old 29th July 2010, 19:18   #4569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea where in Bangalore one can get hold of these?
Jayesh (fotocircle) is selling right now, he has good stock too. Jayanth (toehold and wildlifetimes) used to sell earlier but no more, I spoke to his partner and they will restart Jacket sales very soon on demand. Someone had mentioned seeing the same at Wearhouse stores, but I can bet it will be terribly expensive. Hope that answers everything !
Old 29th July 2010, 20:07   #4570
Team-BHP Support

After a lot discussions and confusions-

The DSLR Thread-4837943218_6ddf0eca3f_b.jpg

And an ISO3200 sample. Just resized with PS.
The DSLR Thread-4837344013_7097e9713b_b.jpg
Old 30th July 2010, 00:45   #4571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its a wiser idea to get a photographer's jacket ( plenty of pockets) so that everything is handy.
Good for photo walks and stuff, but you may stand out in a casual setting. Just keep the lens cap in your trouser pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Hello "shutter"bhpians
Also I am looking for some good reading material (study) on photography. Can someone please suggest some good material (online or hardcopy)?
This could be useful: Ben's Newbie Guide to Digital SLR Photography - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congrats! How much did you pay for the 55-250?
Old 30th July 2010, 09:02   #4572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey, congrats. Share the details of pricing (body, lenses) and from where you got the deal.

Happy clicking.
Old 30th July 2010, 09:17   #4573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 395929

And an ISO3200 sample. Just resized with PS.
Attachment 395930
Congrats!
Taken with 55-250 at the tele end? Looks a bit soft.
Old 30th July 2010, 09:48   #4574
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations CrazyDriver,
Go crazy shooting around.

I have got mine a few days back and still learning at very slow pace, not getting enough time these days.

I want a suggestion on protecting my 550D (since its not a pro body, I need to take care of it more than others). Can someone suggest me a decent / wheatherproof carrying case / camera bag?

I'm planning to get a good Tripod (Manfrotto 3001pro or 055xpro) and RC-6 as well.
Do you think it will be cheaper from US or can I get it at almost same price in India as well? If you know better products / source to get them, please suggest.
Old 30th July 2010, 10:26   #4575
Senior - BHPian

Congrats crazydriver. want to know the price info. Can you post pics of the lens?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks