Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 18:05   #4171

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Now the urge to upgrade my Nikon D300 to a D3 is getting stronger. Torn between buying a 17~35 F/2.8 or upgrading to a D3..
That is very hard to consider, D3 offers significant upgrade from D300, D700 is considered similar to D3/D3s but once you have both side by side, the actual difference is clear, even if you are using BG with D700.

Hint: Its the viewfinder that takes the lead in D3.

On the other hand 17-35mm is the king, only other lens i can compare to it is 14-24mm or old school 13mm f5.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't think tilt-shift photography is of much use in architectural photography, They show very shallow DOF anyway, so may be most of the structure won't be in perfect focus at all. For me, they are interesting to see, and some has that wow factor, that's it. They may be good for some fancy ad stuff by the way..
On the contrary, PC-E or TS lenses are specifically designed to use with Architectural photography. Photographers who do advertisement for hotels use TS/PC-E lenses almost exclusively, Unless they have a View Camera with F mount or EF mount adapter
Old 7th June 2010, 19:59   #4172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
On the contrary, PC-E or TS lenses are specifically designed to use with Architectural photography. Photographers who do advertisement for hotels use TS/PC-E lenses almost exclusively, Unless they have a View Camera with F mount or EF mount adapter
I just guessed so because I have not seen any TS pics related to architectural photography anywhere. Mind sharing some example pics somewhere on the net, if you know any? I am interested to see...

Last edited by clevermax : 7th June 2010 at 20:04.
Old 7th June 2010, 20:12   #4173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Wow Rajismine, thank you for that info. I had always thought that adapters were only available outside of India and never thought of searching ebay India. Going to buy one right away! Thanks again .

Regards,
Veeresh

HellwratH,

Any update on this. eagerly waiting to know how the adapter is working on your camera!
Old 7th June 2010, 22:20   #4174
BHPian

:)

happiness.....much happiness.

Finally jumped in......got myself the D90 kit from Jayesh last weekend.

Got it with b/w, since the difference between with & without was about 3k only.

4GB card & a bag is included, exchanged the card for a 8GB one.

Am loving it, though am a little overwhelmed now.

Thanks TeamBHP, all your inputs have been of immense help.

cheers
lazy
Old 7th June 2010, 22:23   #4175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
Finally jumped in......got myself the D90 kit from Jayesh last weekend.

Got it with b/w, since the difference between with & without was about 3k only.

4GB card & a bag is included, exchanged the card for a 8GB one.
Should I really refer you as Lazy ?, Some times i find it difficult to addess the members using their handles, you are one of them.

congratulations, what is the price you paid ?
Old 7th June 2010, 22:42   #4176
Senior - BHPian

Congrats lazy , how much was the cost? .Some pictures of the unboxing ?
Old 8th June 2010, 08:59   #4177
BHPian

Thanks guys.

Paid 52300; D90 + 18-105 VR + small bag + 8GB memory (basic one)

grey was 48k for above without bag.

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post

Should I really refer you as Lazy ?
hehe...i wish ppl around me would think like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
... Some pictures of the unboxing ?
and let the world know my skills :(
will put up some....later from home.
Old 8th June 2010, 11:58   #4178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
HellwratH,

Any update on this. eagerly waiting to know how the adapter is working on your camera!
Nope, I haven't bought it yet. All camera related upgrades are on hold for sometime.

I recently came across this site,
Toehold | Travel & Photography

Bangalore guys can rent lenses from the above site. The good news is, it has both Canon and Nikon lenses as well as camera bodies .
Old 8th June 2010, 12:08   #4179
BHPian

Thanks Navin,i agree with you & will get the 18-135IS instead of 18-55.It will also help me avoid the hassle of carrying two lenses & changing them repeatedly. Being a first time slr user,would prefer playing around with just one lens for a while.

[quote=navin;1920795]The 550 is an excellent camera. I would suggest getting a better lens than the 18-55IS. The 18-55IS is a good lens for the money but really the camera begs for a better lens. I have used this camera with a 18-55IS and 17-55/2.8 IS and the difference was easy to see even on the 3" screen on the back of the camera.

Consider the 15-85IS or if on a budget the 18-135IS instead. Then if you really need a tele-zoom the 70-300IS can be added and leave no gap.
Old 8th June 2010, 14:35   #4180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope, I haven't bought it yet. All camera related upgrades are on hold for sometime.

Bangalore guys can rent lenses from the above site. The good news is, it has both Canon and Nikon lenses as well as camera bodies .
Hi HW/Veeresh. I know that you're also a member of BPC. Toehold is a company floated by none other than Jayanth Sharma and Sudhir Shivaram, names you must be familiar with [they conduct the monthly basic photography course which is advertised on BPC homepage]. Along with Jayanth and Sudhir are 2 other gents who are part of ToeHold. Sudhir and Jayanth also have their independent websites [you may be aware].

I'm attending Toehold's photography workshop on 19/20 June; hope it does me a sea of good for my photographic skills.

Cheers
aK
Old 8th June 2010, 14:42   #4181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hi HW/Veeresh. I know that you're also a member of BPC. Toehold is a company floated by none other than Jayanth Sharma and Sudhir Shivaram, names you must be familiar with [they conduct the monthly basic photography course which is advertised on BPC homepage]. Along with Jayanth and Sudhir are 2 other gents who are part of ToeHold. Sudhir and Jayanth also have their independent websites [you may be aware].

I'm attending Toehold's photography workshop on 19/20 June; hope it does me a sea of good for my photographic skills.

Cheers
aK
Yep. You're right. I had got a call from Jayanth as I had expressed interest in a particular lens. Actually, elephas won't be renting lenses out and all rentals will be done through Toehold (which btw is a pvt ltd company). I think it's a very very good initiative by Sudhir and Jayanth. I am planning to go to one of their photo tours. Let's see, let the funds flow in .
Old 8th June 2010, 15:08   #4182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sudhir had brainstormed this idea in this very thread, I am surprised none of you remember that.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post1242527 (The DSLR Thread)
Old 8th June 2010, 15:17   #4183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sudhir had brainstormed this idea in this very thread, I am surprised none of you remember that.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post1242527 (The DSLR Thread)
Samurai,

Nope, I remember it. Infact, I had participated in the poll and Sudhir has been kind enough to inform me about the latest updates. Also, I remember him asking about insuring these lenses, don't know how he managed that part though. I feel lucky actually (of being in bangalore) that his idea/enterprise is growing and gives us amateurs a real chance of owning a gear for a day or two before making the plunge.
Old 8th June 2010, 16:03   #4184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Along with Jayanth and Sudhir are 2 other gents who are part of ToeHold.....I'm attending Toehold's photography workshop on 19/20 June; hope it does me a sea of good for my photographic skills.
Ajay, the workshops conducted by Jayanth is a 'must' kind for those who are trying to explore this field. I attended in May 2010 and it helped me a lot in my perspective towards things. What I have heard and noted in the workshop takes atleast 6 months to practice in the field as I am still a learner. He doesnt believe in field experiments on workshop days (as I too agree to the same) because it kills the theory time in a big way. Even a 2 full day session is not enough for learning the theory.

Toehold is exactly what you explained. Its a new venture by these guys which is just in its beginning stage with lots of plans ahead. I personally know Venky who is part of the 4 member team, we worked together in Lions but I never knew he was associated with Jayanth until he stepped in at the lunch time of my workshop last month !

Last edited by shajufx : 8th June 2010 at 16:05.
Old 8th June 2010, 18:01   #4185
BHPian

Quote:

This is really good. People can try their hands on dSLR before actually jumping into it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks